Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 25th August 2021, 19:31   #631
BHPian

re: The Tata Punch (aka Hornbill) Compact SUV

For me, this doesn't look very punchy Though the design is good, it doesn't seem very loud. Probably because we have seen enough Nexons and Harriers on road these days. So this is definitely a known design language.

Probably TATA is expecting to offer a well-built SMALL Utility Vehicle just around the price of Tiago. So that it can be a potential threat to cars like KWID, Kiger 1.0 NA, Freestyle, Magnite 1.0 NA, and even to Espresso.

As long as they offer the car with a proper Engine and Gearbox combo to satisfy all kinds of customers then they can taste success fairly easily in a short span. I truly hope TATA will introduce this model with 1.2 TC with an auto box, for those who want a punchy performance.
Old 25th August 2021, 19:43   #632
Senior - BHPian

Tata Punch spotted testing, It can be seen tackling the outdoors with the confidence.

Name:  SmartSelect_20210825193831_Twitter.gif
Views: 679
Size:  5.48 MB

Name:  SmartSelect_20210825194228_Twitter.gif
Views: 774
Size:  5.74 MB

Full Video

Last edited by Venkatesh : 25th August 2021 at 19:45.
Venkatesh is offline   (46) Thanks
Old 25th August 2021, 21:31   #633
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jude300 View Post
PUNCH or HBX or Hornbill, does that even matter? What's there in the naming? Off-late we see the naming of a car being discussed to such length with no value addition at the end of the day.

I tend to disagree. Name does matter to me as I intend to buy this car and expect this to part of my family for 5 to 7 years.

Would you marry a beautiful girl as beautiful as Aishwarya Rai, if her name was shurpanakhi.

Will any girl marry a boy named Adolf Hitler or Duryodhana or dushyasana?

My point is, the car looks good, Tata means safety, engine ok...when everything looks good, why fail in naming department? Other companies may have named it badly. Does it mean Tata has to follow same example, name badly or learn from other's mistakes?

I do agree that there is no point in discussing this further as there is nothing we can do about.
pogo0120 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 25th August 2021, 21:48   #634
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pogo0120 View Post
Would you marry a beautiful girl as beautiful as Aishwarya Rai, if her name was shurpanakhi.
I laughed out loud reading this. I don't want to get into an argument here but the answer to the question will be an emphatic 'yes' as long as I love the person for who she is.
Jude300 is offline   (67) Thanks
Old 25th August 2021, 22:08   #635
Senior - BHPian

Tata had a classy name in Nano, we all now how that turned out. Punch is not a classy name in my view and somehow has a Chinese vibe thanks to a simple English verb being used (or is it a noun)

But everything else about the car sounds promising. Impressed at how extensive a range Tata has now with its addition
Old 26th August 2021, 02:14   #636
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pogo0120 View Post
What a comparison. But the Shurpanakha in Ramayana was beautiful indeed, just that she had anger control issues and a powerful brother to avenge her.
ani_meher is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 26th August 2021, 05:08   #637
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
Tata Punch spotted testing, It can be seen tackling the outdoors with the confidence.

Attachment 2198027

Attachment 2198028

Full Video
The car has 4 passengers in it. The spy shots look staged but anyhow the performance looks good the GC looks great. This can become the go to car for rural India where scorpio bolero etc reign.
Those big wheel arches look to be used fully in the video too.
Fingers crossed I just hope this is a niggle free product and easy on the pocket.
Pramathyu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2021, 07:55   #638
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Mod Note: Enough discussion on the name, guys. Let's move on. No more posts on whether you like / hate the name please. Thanks for the support & understanding .

We should now discuss just the actual car itself.
GTO is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 26th August 2021, 09:38   #639
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pramathyu View Post
The car has 4 passengers in it. The spy shots look staged but anyhow the performance looks good the GC looks great. This can become the go to car for rural India where scorpio bolero etc reign.
Those big wheel arches look to be used fully in the video too.
Fingers crossed I just hope this is a niggle free product and easy on the pocket.
This will be nothing more than a glorified hatchback with additional ground clearance. Something along the lines of the Ford Freestyle.

I expect the unladen GC to be around 180 to 190mm. It certainly is not going to compete with rear wheel drive body on frame vehicles especially in rural areas.

Yep, I do hope they give us a niggle free product atleast on this one.
JithinR is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2021, 10:32   #640
BHPian

I am pleased as punch to see this new offering from Tata.
I hope it is not typically Tata heavy and therefore underpowered. The micro SUV segment will grow hugely; the early movers will gain an advantage.
I can see this class of vehicle doing to the hatchbacks what the SUVs did to the C sedans.
matizcrazy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th August 2021, 11:54   #641
BHPian

What I'm anticipating most is an EV version of the Punch.

I believe as of today, EVs are suited best as city cars, and the tinier the body, the easier to maneuver.

Could be priced well below the Nexon as well. Give me a Punch with the same km range and power of a Nexon at a lower price, and I'd lap it up in a heartbeat.
kadanaJ is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th August 2021, 12:56   #642
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
Production-spec Tata HBX christened as Tata Punch
======
https://Youtu.be/bCfX3Y2CmBY
Looks good in flesh and resembles the HBX concept closely in all angles.
Will this take the sub-compact SUV segment by storm??
That will entirely depend upon the creature comforts and features that TATA decides to pack in and also to a certain extent the engine-gearbox combos used.
Hopefully the AMT is done away with and a new CVT/torque converter comes in.
Last but not the least- TATA's ASS and niggles with almost any new product.It's still a thorn in the flesh and TATA needs to address it rather quickly.

Last edited by Jaggu : 26th August 2021 at 13:00. Reason: Trimming post, please avoid quoting entire large post for replies. Thanks.
pradheepsr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2021, 13:21   #643
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Guys, I don't like the name either, but we need to get over it. The fact is, these kind of names work in the mainstream segments. Proof? Well:

Dzire. We now accept it only because its ingrained in our head, but it's such a terribly stupid name for a car. Desire is bad enough, Dzire is even worse. Like some cheap imitation jewellery.

Creta. Remember all the ex-creta jokes when it was first announced? Does anyone even bother anymore? In fact, people brag about owning a Creta today.

City. Really? What next? Honda Country?

Jazz! Need I say anymore. LOL. Rock, Hip-Hop...

Venue? What next? Hyundai Destination? Kia Location?

Laura. I don't even need to emphasize on this (look up all the jokes in the 2007 thread).

Duster, Rapid, Superb are other names I found stupid when I'd first heard them. Who the hell names a luxury car "Superb"? Up next = Skoda Awesome? Skoda Brilliant?

Carnival = the only van I love, but seriously, "Carnival"???? How would a car named "Circus" sound?

Point is, eventually, the name doesn't matter and all of us get used to it (like we have accepted the Dzire & City). What's most important is the car itself, so let's hope Tata has gotten that right. If Tata rolls out a solid product, "Punch" will be respected in the same way some of the above-listed funny names are.
The Germans are safer in the naming aspect..Polo,Vento,Ameo,Taigun,Tiguan,Passat,Golf. ,to name a few.
Maruti suzuki tops the charts with the list of ridiculous names being closely followed by hyundai..
But just wondering whether this naming strategy is highly market dependent
In that case our country wins the award for worst car names, hands down !!..
TATA has just made a debut in this list with HBX being christened as Punch..
Old 26th August 2021, 13:24   #644
BHPian

Punch looks good, should become a sales success.

I see many hoping/praying for a niggle free product.
My take would be simple, if Altroz is a niggle free product, expect Punch to be niggle free, and if its the opposite, expect Punch to have some levels of improvement over those issues. (Note: I am not following Altroz thread).
Old 26th August 2021, 13:59   #645
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JithinR View Post
This will be nothing more than a glorified hatchback with additional ground clearance. Something along the lines of the Ford Freestyle.
So is the Hyundai Venue and the Kia Sonet and the Skoda Kushaq and the VW Taigun and the Ford Ecosport

Though premiumness is different. All of these are glorified hatch-backs with compromised space as well as boot; and no real off-road ability. All these cars are Indian Road able due to the conditions of the roads.

The market is gonna love it if it is priced comparable the swift. I think I am gonna sell my Maruti stocks, they seem to be getting PUNCH-ed across segments by different competitors except the sub-5 lakh segment
2000rpm is online now   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks