Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 24th August 2021, 14:18   #601
BHPian

re: The Tata Punch (aka Hornbill) Compact SUV

The person who named it, needs to get a good punch.

Hate the name, HBX from my opinion was better. Ignoring that, the propotions look good. Hopefully engine packs a good punch.
Old 24th August 2021, 15:19   #602
BHPian

Just got a call from Tata Marketing team regarding my interest shown in Punch. They called the car at all times HBX. Not even a single time PUNCH, I had to correct them twice but they persisted. Is there a twist in the tale awaiting.

Like Shakespeare Said...What's in a Name???
Old 24th August 2021, 15:45   #603
Senior - BHPian

TaMo, please make this car niggle-free and we will dedicate a post in memory of your "Punch" in this excellent Team BHP chronicle - here (Cars that punch above their weight in India!)
JoshMachine is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 24th August 2021, 16:46   #604
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganeshk4 View Post
Punch may not be a good name. But when it comes to using new names for new products, imo, names hardly matters. Nobody is going to refuse a good product because of not so good name. And by the first looks of it, the product definitely looks good.
No. You are wrong. People do care about product names and it does matter to me. It is called consumer sentiment. I was seriously looking for this product as my second car and now I am having second thoughts. I am not looking at great names like Apple computer names their products, but atleast decent ones so that people would not laugh.

Tata marketing team is not doing their job. You can read this thread below, I spoke two years ago.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ml#post4661979 (Do you think Tata Motors needs to change its logo?)

See, like this, MBA people in Tata marketing periodically screw things. Fact of life!
If I buy this PUNCH, I have to live with this PUNCH for atleast 5 to 7 years and that really punches me. I like the looks, safety must be great and I WANT TO SUPPORT INDIAN COMPANY VERSUS Japanese ones but the name punches me in my face.
Analogy with Mahindra would be: Is it TUV one hundred or T U V one ohh ohh or ToooV 100 or ToooV 1oh oh or T silent UV100 or what?
Old 24th August 2021, 16:50   #605
BHPian

Without making much guesses, looking at the buyer perspective the segment is an interesting segment in itself. I am considering Kicks, Kiger, Venue and if possible Sonet also here - let me call them wannabe entry level SUV's.

These cars are decent alternatives to what was otherwise filled in by a premium Hatchback or entry level sedans.

Sitting below the Nexon - this goes further down and even falls closer to hatchbacks in itself.
Old 24th August 2021, 17:19   #606
Senior - BHPian

Tata Punch rendered in Tata's Special editions

Dark edition

The Tata Punch (aka Hornbill) Compact SUV-tatapunchdarkeditionrendering.jpg

Camo edition

The Tata Punch (aka Hornbill) Compact SUV-tatapunchcamoeditionrendering.jpg

Adventure persona

The Tata Punch (aka Hornbill) Compact SUV-tatapunchadventurepersonarendering.jpg

The Tata Punch (aka Hornbill) Compact SUV-tatapunchrendering.jpg

Source : MotorBeam
Venkatesh is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th August 2021, 17:51   #607
BHPian

The Tata Punch (aka Hornbill) Compact SUV-puncher-shop.jpg

Some folks are already ready for this launch.

Jokes aside, agree that the name itself is weird. "I drive a Punch" just doens't sound catchy or cool. Either way, hopefully they pack a solid punch on this with all the gizmos they can cram and most importantly, find a frikkin proper automatic already (whew, Tata.. come on!)
Mad Max is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th August 2021, 19:11   #608
Senior - BHPian

They could have named it better. Even HBX sounds good. Punch word is close to the word puncture. Sometimes a name is important too. The rear door handles seems to be the hidden type and should have been conventional.

Last edited by sumeethaldankar : 24th August 2021 at 19:13.
Old 24th August 2021, 20:33   #609
BHPian

Tata has been a trend setter in so many segments. I would have loved to see this car in EV avatar first. Petrol engines could have followed later. And as an EV, Punch branding sounds good too.
Old 24th August 2021, 20:39   #610
BHPian

Let me ask you guys.
How difficult is it to browse forums like team bhp to get some feedback about companies? Honestly, if I am running a car company, definitely I would read some online communities like team bhp just to get a feel on what netizens are speaking on my company, good or bad. Seriously, how many online communities regarding cars are there in India? Millions, thousands, hundreds, dozens or just few of them?

These companies spend money to conduct survey and totally ignore serious owners providing feedback through online communities like team bhp.
What is the working culture of these companies in marketing dept? Really beats me.
pogo0120 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2021, 21:42   #611
BHPian

Not at all convinced about this name - Punch. I am still hopeful that Tata Motors might change this name at the time of launch; just like they changed the name Tata Zica to Tiago.
https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/51098725.cms

After reading these many comments about this name in our beloved forum, TaMo may find reasons to rename it sooner

Last edited by ashking101 : 24th August 2021 at 21:43.
ashking101 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th August 2021, 22:43   #612
BHPian

As someone who is planning a new family hatchback to buy early next year, I am looking forward to this car as well as the new upcoming celerio.
Old 25th August 2021, 00:57   #613
BHPian

Looks good. It would be a true redemption for Tata, if the Punch (Well Nissan started it with Kicks...so fair I guess) takes the segment by storm. Can't help remembering how Tata invented the Compact Sedan segment with the indigo CS and were ultimately left in the dust by MS.

On a lighter note - From the looks of it, HBX likely stood for Harrier Baby Xperimental
Old 25th August 2021, 01:21   #614
BHPian

Collectively all our auto manufacturers have murdered the definition of the term SUV as it was originally intended. All these compact SUVs really are compact hatchbacks with one or two inch extra ground clearance.

I like how the Punch looks, it could really pack a punch. But, its not an SUV.
GutsyGibbon is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th August 2021, 04:44   #615
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashking101 View Post
Not at all convinced about this name - Punch. I am still hopeful that Tata Motors might change this name at the time of launch;

After reading these many comments about this name in our beloved forum, TaMo may find reasons to rename it sooner
Quote:
Originally Posted by pogo0120 View Post
Let me ask you guys.
How difficult is it to browse forums like team bhp to get some feedback about companies? Honestly, if I am running a car company, definitely I would read some online communities like team bhp just to get a feel on what netizens are speaking on my company, good or bad. Seriously, how many online communities regarding cars are there in India? Millions, thousands, hundreds, dozens or just few of them?

These companies spend money to conduct survey and totally ignore serious owners providing feedback through online communities like team bhp.
What is the working culture of these companies in marketing dept? Really beats me.
If one read the comments on this forum when TML decided to rename the Gravitas as Safari, the ensuing pandemonium on the thread made it seem like Tata best quit the car making business.

Or if what we all post is indeed gospel, Maruti will be making India's safest cars and M&M India's prettiest.

India's car buyers aren't making purchasing decisions simply based on what a model is called. Had that been the case India's most popular car would be the Toofan, what a lovely name for an Indian automobile,TOOFAN...wah!
shortbread is online now   (10) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks