Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 24th August 2021, 09:25   #586
BHPian

re: The Tata Punch (aka Hornbill) Compact SUV

Quote:
Originally Posted by svdxb View Post
Car looks good and proportions are spot on. About the name, I feel HBX itself sounded better than Punch.
Tata has a golden chance to make a mini cooper out of this. Bright bold colors, funky kits, power boosting parts and they can build a legacy on this dinky 'suv'. If only the stuffy old coots had a young brain!
AirbusCapt is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 24th August 2021, 09:28   #587
BHPian

'Punch' doesn't sound like a bad name but only if they match the name with a punchy engine. Otherwise it will become a butt of jokes.

On a side note, first the Kicks, and now the Punch. What next? a 'Jab'?

Last edited by Geta : 24th August 2021 at 09:37.
Geta is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th August 2021, 09:38   #588
BHPian

They should have stuck to HBX. Punch is an absurd name for a car.

That said, the product looks good. Judging from the Tata launches in the past 3 years, this product looks like a winner.

Also, the success of Espresso should be a good indicator of the market requirement.

If they get the engines right and offer a CVT, my wife surely will be interested.
Old 24th August 2021, 11:11   #589

The car to me looks absolutely beautiful and proportionate. It simply looks like a little harrier and has all beauty to attract young and middle aged buyers who needs a city car. From the pictures I think the seating position is high enough to make it a preferential choice between lady drivers and older folks. Many buyers who eye Ignis or Magnite will keep Punch too in their radar. I think Tata got a winner here ! Hope it would be niggle free.

Just to add my 2 cents for the name of car. I hope 95% of us do not care what the name is if the machine is really good. I would still awe a X3 or GLE even if they name it Madhuri Dixit. Jokes apart, we are the same Indians who proudly claimed to have a Padmini in our home.
Jaguarpaw is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th August 2021, 11:19   #590
BHPian

Odd name. Could have let it be the HBX. My driver (and so will many others with not so perfect English) calls it the poonch, which it tail in Hindi.
Old 24th August 2021, 11:25   #591
BHPian

Though HBX sounded good as a concept, I don't think it would be a sensible name especially as Tata have their variants as XE, XM, XZ etc. Imagine telling someone you bought a HBX XZ! Would be quite a mouthful. Still they had many better options than 'Punch'.
quantobigboot is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th August 2021, 11:26   #592
Senior - BHPian

Linea (line), Punto (Point), Kicks, Creta, i10, i20, and now Punch. Weird names continue!
Name is bad but car looks good. They should offer bright and funky colors.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 24th August 2021 at 16:50. Reason: a word
Latheesh is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2021, 11:58   #593
BHPian

What's up with everyone getting upset about the name? It's not like they have given the car any of the names like Murcielago, Bentayga, Creta, Cayenne, XUV5OO, Huracan, Mulsanne, Portofino, Tucson, Stradale, Macan, etc whose pronunciation we have to look up on the internet

I don't remember the last time the name of a car affected my purchase decision unless they name the car Dawood Ibrahim or similar.

Last edited by DudeWithaFiat : 24th August 2021 at 12:18.
DudeWithaFiat is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 24th August 2021, 12:01   #594
NKB
BHPian

The car looks very good. Near to concept. Have to wait for details on specifications, the engine options and the interior to see how strong the PUNCH would be.

On the debate on naming, I don’t think any name is good or bad, it is just SUBJECTIVE. If the car is good and value for money as a package in this segment, I don’t think people will even think about the name.

Last edited by NKB : 24th August 2021 at 12:02. Reason: minor correction
NKB is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2021, 12:02   #595
BHPian

I'll wait for more pictures to be released, but the absence of the front skid plate really ruins the look of the car, as compared to the concept. Replacing it with a cheapo plastic mesh bumper makes it worse. Even the front grille design is less angular than the concept. Pratap Bose had said that 90% of the concept will be carried over to the production, I feel there are more changes.

The colour also doesn't do justice to the car. If Tata is aiming for a pseudo-SUV look then, the car should be available with darker colours and they should bin the white contrast roof, IMO.

Hopefully, the car is available is with the 1.2 Turbo from the launch itself. Can't expect it to have Nexon's state of tune but at least Tata can transplant the Altroz's i-Turbo here.

Regarding the name, I think we all get used to it after a while. Everyone complains about the name when the car is unveiled but nobody pays attention to it after a year or two. I mean why are cars named "City", "Jazz", "Tucson", etc.? What do those names signify about the car?
Marauder is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2021, 12:13   #596
BHPian

My God. Is Tata marketing this to 5 year olds ? First the name, and then those logo colours. Grow up Tata !
Old 24th August 2021, 12:14   #597
BHPian

This is one of the cars, I was very excited about after getting a glimpse in 2020 auto expo.
I agree with majority that car looks proportionate and beautiful in production-spec.
HBX would have been surely a better name than Punch, IMHO.
I wish Tata doesn't repeat engine blunders of Altroz with Punch at launch and provides AT option.
Old 24th August 2021, 12:17   #598
BHPian

Looks like a mini Harrier and will definitely attract first time buyers only if it is the same NA 3 cyl petrol engine as the Tiago. With all the weird names around, PUNCH isn't half as bad. But personally could've done without the colors. Reminds me of the scooty pep colors.

Like many mentioned, front scuff plates will sell like hotcakes if available as an accessory. Form and function, given the gaps in front of the radiator.
WizSatish is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th August 2021, 12:20   #599
BHPian

And TaMo's brilliant market moves continue. Now it will try and garner a large portion of the volumes market!

The turn around of TaMo is the stuff B school case studies should be made up of.

But yeah FIX THE SHOWROOM (Pre and Post sales) experience TaMo, PLEASE, your govt babu type salespersons literally chase away customers. So many examples abound in just this forum itself.

Pay them a bit more, better training, get corporate involved, whatever fix it.

Your product is sorted, your pricing is a bit off at times but still workable, niggles needs a fix and let this product include all possible variants on launch, not the patch release model you work on.

All that said, another stunner from TaMo, I really like the proportions and lines, esp for the price bracket it comes in.
Stribog is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2021, 12:43   #600
BHPian

Punch may not be a good name. But when it comes to using new names for new products, imo, names hardly matters. Nobody is going to refuse a good product because of not so good name. And by the first looks of it, the product definitely looks good.
ganeshk4 is offline   (4) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks