Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th March 2022, 21:11   #316
BHPian

Re: Supreme Court bans 15-year old petrol & 10-year old diesel vehicles in Delhi-NCR

I came across this recent news which seems relevant to this discussion.

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/90296956.cms

I fully support the transport union in this. The government is not taking into account the financial hardships faced by a common man by bringing mandatory scrapping of old vehicles. The rule nonetheless is illogical and will only benefit auto makers and some few rich people. I hope that this illogical rule gets quashed and people can again ply their well maintained 10-15 year old cars on the roads.
pta320 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2022, 02:55   #317

Re: Supreme Court bans 15-year old petrol & 10-year old diesel vehicles in Delhi-NCR

Quote:
Originally Posted by pta320 View Post
I came across this recent news which seems relevant to this discussion.

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/90296956.cms

I fully support the transport union in this. The government is not taking into account the financial hardships faced by a common man by bringing mandatory scrapping of old vehicles. The rule nonetheless is illogical and will only benefit auto makers and some few rich people. I hope that this illogical rule gets quashed and people can again ply their well maintained 10-15 year old cars on the roads.

In my opinion govt should reduce the registration duration of new vehicles to 3 or 5 years, and then should allow re-registration after a proper fitness check. Until the time owner or used car dealer maintains the vehicle properly the RTO should allow registration. The 10-15 year registration is basically lazy and extreme kind of rule. We should take lessons from German TUF or England's MOT.
pratyushpks is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 24th March 2022, 03:28   #318
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratyushpks View Post
In my opinion govt should reduce the registration duration of new vehicles to 3 or 5 years, and then should allow re-registration after a proper fitness check. Until the time owner or used car dealer maintains the vehicle properly the RTO should allow registration. The 10-15 year registration is basically lazy and extreme kind of rule. We should take lessons from German TUF or England's MOT.
Even today Delhi remains the most polluted city in the world. The scrappage policy didn't help. Rather I believe people forced into buying brand new cars has contributed to pollution as more smoke and fumes from the factories producing materials for new cars has taken its toll on the landlocked NCR. And needless to mention the stubble burning, it is one of the major sources of air pollution.
pta320 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th March 2022, 12:10   #319
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
...financial hardships faced by a common man by bringing mandatory scrapping of old vehicles. The rule nonetheless is illogical and will only benefit auto makers and some few rich people.
Collecting road tax for 15 years for a diesel vehicle and force scrapping the same in 10 years is highly illogical.
Arbitrary policies without proper scientific thought process and according to whims and fancies of a few that overrides the national motor vehicle act should not be enforced.
for_cars1 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th March 2022, 13:54   #320
BHPian

Is there some way for us to band together and show the incompetence of the NGT and possibly get this foolish rule reversed??
sid3091 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th March 2022, 10:34   #321

Quote:
Originally Posted by sid3091 View Post
Is there some way for us to band together and show the incompetence of the NGT and possibly get this foolish rule reversed??
We must organize a protest to make our voices heard. Start with a small group which will further mobilize a larger group of people which will gain momentum as tens of thousands if not lakhs of honest taxpayers have been affected.
motomaniax is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th March 2022, 18:18   #322
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomaniax View Post
We must organize a protest to make our voices heard.
If you want to win a case you need data which is to be presented in impactful manner. Sunita Narain and her CSE have been doing it for last 20 years and it will be difficult to win in the case
Old 28th March 2022, 10:15   #323
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozeninTime View Post
If you want to win a case you need data which is to be presented in impactful manner. Sunita Narain and her CSE have been doing it for last 20 years and it will be difficult to win in the case
But we don't need to be the one's that have to collect the data. It sounds a little far fetched right now, but what if we were all to pitch in, hire a lawyer and start making a few bureaucrats' lives miserable (perhaps with data showing how their arbitrary decisions have profoundly negative economic impacts).
Old 3rd April 2022, 00:57   #324
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sid3091 View Post
I would love to help in anyway that can get this foolish rule quashed. We should start with gathering data regarding how well maintained old vehicles do not pollute the environment and secondly the financial impact buying a new car has on a common man. Thirdly it should also be shown that factories producing new cars pollute as well.

Right now the rule only affects NCR. If they start implementing such rules in other parts of India, then for sure there will be a massive outrage.

Less than 2% of population can afford to buy new cars every once in a while.
pta320 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2022, 08:55   #325
BHPian

Quote:
I would love to help in anyway that can get this foolish rule quashed. We should start with gathering data regarding how well maintained old vehicles do not pollute the environment and secondly the financial impact buying a new car has on a common man. Thirdly it should also be shown that factories producing new cars pollute as well.

Right now the rule only affects NCR. If they start implementing such rules in other parts of India, then for sure there will be a massive outrage.

Less than 2% of population can afford to buy new cars every once in a while.
Good point about the factories. Is there any researcher in this forum who can guide us?
Old 3rd April 2022, 12:55   #326
BHPian

Multiple studies have illustrated that Life Cycle Analysis of EVs show that they are more polluting than an average IC engine driven car if we take into account how the rare earth material used for making batteries are mined. That hasn't stopped the sale of EV vehicles as the rare earth mines are far away and possibly in different countries compared to the polluted centres we stay in. So, on we go with EVs till a new fad is popularised by Elon Musk and company.

It is not that older IC engines do necessarily pollute hugely but it is the sheer number of older vehicles with slightly higher pollution levels that is the killer point. And if I had my way Diesel vehicle should never had run on roads considering how dirty a fuel it is. I especially thank VW for increasing its unpopularity.

Last edited by Carma2017 : 3rd April 2022 at 12:56.
Carma2017 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 6th April 2022, 10:28   #327
BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carma2017 View Post
Multiple studies have illustrated that Life Cycle Analysis of EVs show that they are more polluting than an average IC engine driven car if we take into account how the rare earth material used for making batteries are mined. That hasn't stopped the sale of EV vehicles as the rare earth mines are far away and possibly in different countries compared to the polluted centres we stay in. So, on we go with EVs till a new fad is popularised by Elon Musk and company.
I don't understand why the world is so blind to this? I can't imagine the amount of brainwashing the media, companies and environmentalists have achieved over the past decade or so. We will not be getting cars anymore but laptops with subscription.
Besides, I personally think that NGT is the most worthless organization in our country. They can't clamp down on factories or industries pollution the Yamuna. They are scared of farmers burning stubble, which engulfs entire north and makes weather feel like a nuclear winter but won't even consider it as pollution?

Also, I am annoyed with mister Ticket. He was going on about NGT can't ban old diesels as Tractors will be out of commission and he will march to supreme court with a fleet of old tractors. Where's that might gone to now, eh? All bark and no bite? Can hurt common salaried man's day but won't move against SC or NGT?

I love my country, but I think it is the last place to have love for automobiles.
vredesbyrd is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 6th April 2022, 11:49   #328
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vredesbyrd View Post
I don't understand why the world is so blind to this? I can't imagine the amount of brainwashing the media, companies and environmentalists have achieved over the past decade or so. We will not be getting cars anymore but laptops with subscription.
It's hilarious to see people selling their brand new road worthy petrol scooter, then buy something like the Ather and use it for few thousand kilometres, again booking Ola! They are neither saving the planet or money by this.

Extremely good public transit is probably the way to go, with the option of letting people choose how they want to live.
giri1.8 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th April 2022, 13:56   #329

What if I convert my old petrol car to CNG.
Old 28th April 2022, 16:40   #330
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by technofunky View Post
What if I convert my old petrol car to CNG.
15 years validity in delhi ncr petrol or cng does not matter.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks