Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 30th April 2022, 23:53   #571
BHPian

re: Next-gen Mahindra Scorpio | Now revealed as Scorpio-N

If this speculation is true, it is indeed a good move by Mahindra. Personally, after the endeavor's exit, the only capable brand to compete against the fortuner is Mahindra. I don't see a more capable (BoF) SUV maker.

They already have the Alturas G4, but since its a CKD, and offers only auto diesel, it didn't live up to the expectations.

Now that Mahindra has improved it's premium appeal and thereby it's image after the launch of Thar and XUV700, Mahindra can confidently launch a product against the fortuner.

The scorpio can remain to cater the fans. The bigger 'whatever it's going to be named' can be pitted against the fortuner. With multiple powertrains, it will be a hit. They can revive the Armada/Marshal reboot perhaps, like the safari. They do know how to price it at launch. We have seen it in the XUV700 and thar bookings.

But the future of Alturas is questionable though. With the new logo, Mahindra has reimagined itself as a premium SUV brand.(But there are some of us waiting for the TUV300 plus too).

Last edited by Benoit : 30th April 2022 at 23:59.
Benoit is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 1st May 2022, 02:09   #572
BHPian

Interiors do not seem to support the theory of above XUV700 segment.
Bluebird_7 is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 1st May 2022, 06:17   #573
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebird_7 View Post
https://Youtu.be/rvre6WSPgI4
Agree. Also from the video, the 3rd row didn't seem to have AC vents, just like the current gen. Disappointed.
Old 1st May 2022, 10:02   #574
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Few things I could notice from that slideshow:-

1. Negligible boot space with all 3 rows up.

2. Speaker above the 3rd row on the roof.

3. Curtain Airbags, probably in line with the requirement of 6 Airbags in all future models as per the new mandate.

4. Grab handles on the A-pillars for easier entry.

5. Could not find any sort of controls for 4x4 in this variant, which was "ready for snow test" as per the sticker on the windscreen.

6. Could not find a Dead Pedal in the driver side footwell of the MT variant.

7. TPMS

8. The shape of the Tail Lights is visible in one of the slides with the Door Open Warming or TPMS warning.

9. Physical button controls for the music system.

10. Small single pane sunroof with controls on the roof liner.

11. Separate Rear AC Blower controls in the 2nd row behind the centre console, but no idea about separate AC blowers for the 3rd row occupants.

12. Probably reclining 2nd row seats (saw some strange looking lever near the base of the 2nd row seat in one of the images). Not sure about the sliding part or tumble mechanism to access the 3rd row of seats.

13. Brown and Black leather seats. Didn't notice any controls for Ventilated Seats. Same theme continues on the door pads as well.

14. This mule was a 7 seater version, with no visible option of Captain Seats in the 2nd row

Let's see if they really position this over the XUV700, because it really does not look or feel more premium at all in comparison.
AdityaDeane is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 1st May 2022, 11:07   #575
BHPian

Quote:
The dials seems to be the same analogue dials as the XUV700 MX and not the digital screen from the AX variants. I like them better as they are simpler. I also like the centre console with the more 'classic' touch screen that isn't in your face the whole time. I hope this isn't priced above the 700, and that there's a reasonably priced and specced automatic as well. Mahindra have never been afraid of the so called 'cannibalisation effect and I think they expect a fair bit of cross shopping and switchover to the Scorpio.

It's likely that the dials in the pic aren't from the Scorpio as what seems to be the XUV700 image can be seen at several occasions. Maybe the software isn't finalised yet.

Name:  Screenshot 20220501 105509.jpg
Views: 461
Size:  46.6 KB

Regarding the tidbit about Scorpio being placed to take on the Fortuner, I hope they don't try to do it again. It's a complete waste of resources. Toyota buyers will buy nothing else. My neighbour just sold off his huge Merc M-class SUV and got a top of the line Fortuner! He says he got tired of Merc's poor service and huge expenses.

Last edited by vivekgk : 1st May 2022 at 11:08.
vivekgk is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st May 2022, 13:09   #576
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdityaDeane View Post
11. Separate Rear AC Blower controls in the 2nd row behind the centre console, but no idea about separate AC blowers for the 3rd row occupants.

According to the comment section of the video. The uploader confirms that the 3rd row has ac blowers like the XUV

Hopefully they nail this one as a lot of hype is around the car. And with the price expected by the majority this car has the potential to be even more successful than the thar or dare I say the xuv 700.

And as far as the placement goes i feel this model with the given features wouldn’t be placed above the xuv 700.

Looking at Mahindra’s history they always had multiple cars in the same segment but targeting different people.

The xuv 500 and scorpio overlapped in price but the target audience was different.

Bolero and tuv were in the same price bracket but the audience was different.

For the price the current scorpio and thar over laps the xuv700 but we can’t keep them in the same segment.

Hence I feel mahindra will keep an overlapping price but targeting people who prefer tough body on frame car with a tall stance with the new scorpio and target city folks who need a comfortable well rounded monocoque FWD car with the XUV 700.
kushgandhi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2022, 00:43   #577
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdityaDeane View Post

5. Could not find any sort of controls for 4x4 in this variant, which was "ready for snow test" as per the sticker on the windscreen.
Offtopic but related to 4X4
All the images i have seen with that rotary dial on central console had MT, i have not seen any AT with that rotary dial. Considering its the 4X4 dial, i hope Mahindra is not skipping AT plus 4X4 combo to avoid breaching some price ceiling. That would be disastrous, it takes away the benefit of an off road capable car being easy on knee
Bluebird_7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2022, 22:17   #578
BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (9)

Quote:
I hope Mahindra is not skipping AT plus 4X4 combo to avoid breaching some price ceiling.
You mean they want to go full Tata/Typical desi manufacturer?

I really hope not. They way the market disregards 4x4 + AT is scary I sometimes lose hope
vredesbyrd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2022, 11:24   #579
BHPian

Regarding the expectations of the new Scorpio being priced above the XUV 700, I got this from a former colleague at MRV who sits waayyy high in the food chain.
Attached Thumbnails
Next-gen Mahindra Scorpio | Now revealed as Scorpio-N-img_20220503_112411.jpg  

niteshbids is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2022, 12:02   #580
Distinguished - BHPian

The interior pictures just revealed in the thread above confirm that this car can, in no way, be positioned above XUV 700. The Scorpio in the pictures looks like a top end variant as it has sunroof, push button start, leatherette/leather upholstery etc.However, in comparison to XUV700 misses a lot:
  • No digital instrument cluster
  • No pano sunroof
  • No ADAS features as far as one can see
  • Less boot space behind 3rd row
  • Manual seat controls instead of electrical operation
  • No memory seats, which probably also implies no "welcome" seat movement back when opening the door.
  • Seems to have only a basic 8 inch touch screen instead of the 10.25 inch one
  • As extensively quoted by M&M themselves in the early days of the mStallion launch, Scorpio will get a lower state of tune of the 2.0 Petrol as compared to the XUV (around 180 hp) which is higher then the Thar but lower than the XUV700. Same is applicable for Diesel mHawk 2.2, with the 155 hp tune from the XUV 700 MX Diesel being provided and not the 180+ HP in the XUV700 AX

My guess - M&M will again launch the Scorpio at a shock starting price, say 10.99 lakhs ex-showroom for a petrol manual S2, going all the way to say 17.99 for a Diesel Auto S8.It will certainly be kept well below XUV700 prices, especially at the higher end. They may reserve an S9 and S10 for later, to get closer to the 20 lakh mark.

As usual M&M are floating some rumours about a much higher price positioning so as to make the Scorpio look like a very good value vehicle at launch

Last edited by 84.monsoon : 3rd May 2022 at 12:12.
84.monsoon is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 4th May 2022, 14:46   #581
BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by niteshbids View Post
I got this from a former colleague at MRV who sits waayyy high in the food chain.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
My guess - Scorpio at, say 10.99 lakhs ex-showroom for a petrol manual S2, going all the way to say 17.99 for a Diesel Auto S8
This is very comforting (hopefully). Finally, an affordable modern ladder-frame vehicle that doesn't cost as much as a house. Hopefully, they'll also throw in the 4x4+AT on both fuel types (I may be asking for too much but it least they are not Tata. Tata would release a Thar that would be either AT or 4x4 and not together)

Quote:
As usual M&M are floating some rumours about a much higher price positioning so as to make the Scorpio look like a very good value vehicle at launch
Oh god. Then the unbelievable-launch-price card and monthly inflation till it hits at least 12-13L for the base model
Old 4th May 2022, 15:45   #582
BHPian

Few more images of the new Scorpio spotted testing in front of vidhana soudha Bengaluru
Attached Thumbnails
Next-gen Mahindra Scorpio | Now revealed as Scorpio-N-img20220504wa0004.jpg  

Next-gen Mahindra Scorpio | Now revealed as Scorpio-N-img20220504wa0005.jpg  

alokn87 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 4th May 2022, 16:39   #583
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alokn87 View Post
Few more images of the new Scorpio spotted testing in front of vidhana soudha Bengaluru
Rear wipe area seems insufficient. It should ideally take a full sweep. In this case it is just half of what is expected.
ObsessedByFIAT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2022, 18:34   #584
BHPian

Putting aside the speculation on the slot where the car is positioned for prospective buyers.

I wish Mahindra designers reduce the addition of Chrome plates across the car and do not do much adventure on the front grill like the XUV7OO.

Looking forward to an SUV with Tall Boy stance.

Last edited by peterjim13 : 4th May 2022 at 18:36.
Old 4th May 2022, 20:17   #585
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alokn87 View Post
No matter what, I am still unable to digest that Xyloish rear.
rakesh_r is offline   (6) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks