Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 29th June 2022, 19:24   #1846
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Next-gen Mahindra Scorpio | Now revealed as Scorpio-N

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indepth View Post
It is the theoretically stated fact that "RWD have poor traction in wet/slush conditions".

Now I won't be off-roading. At least not in my plans.

But am I in danger of losing traction in moderate slush/muddy conditions found on our Indian roads?
I have owned a RWD car for 4 years with a notorious open differential - the TUV 300. I have carelessly gotten into a wheel-spin situation only once, when I lowered the car's left wheels off of a raised concrete road onto the soft soil below. The rear left wheel spun furiously while the right wheel on concrete stayed put. The S-Cross behind me ended up getting plastered with chocolate milk-shake (wet mud actually).

On the other hand, fellow member mi2n owns the same kind of TUV 300 and yet he has driven to all manner of mountainous terrain (roads, no roads, snow, slush etc.). His travelogues are legendary and some pics were shared even by Anand Mahindra on Twitter. He hasn't gotten stuck even once.

Let's also talk about the countless RWD taxi drivers in mountainous terrains in India - they regularly wade in and out of slushy conditions all the time in Taveras, Innovas and Xylos with bald tyres. There's something to be said about presence of mind and driving experience.

My take is that 4WD merely lets you go further in slush before you get stuck somewhere. A RWD will have gotten stuck earlier in the same slush trail. No one should do serious off-roading even in a 4WD. A winch is a must for that, along with the presence of fellow off-roaders. And if it is snow you're thinking about, AWD is way better than 4WD for snow and icy conditions.

For the majority of Indian use cases, RWD will do just fine. Approach and departure angles matter a lot on bad roads. A rear differential locking mechanism will be peachy and will suffice most of the time. The right tyres can make a lot of difference for the given terrain. Lowering the tyre pressure to get through tricky sand/slush also helps.

You don't really need 4WD if your only fear is that of getting stuck on bad roads - you won't, if you maintain your presence of mind at all times. With 4WD, you're unnecessarily going to be lugging around the weight of the 4WD mechanisms (transfer case and other stuff) and you're going to get lesser fuel efficiency.

Lastly, not sure if the Scorpio-N 4WD will come with full time or part time 4WD. Part time 4WD engagement will be necessary from time to time just to prevent the involved parts from falling into ruin out of disuse. This may become a boring chore which you may neglect as a hassle. If it's full-time 4WD, that won't be an issue.

Last edited by locusjag : 29th June 2022 at 19:32. Reason: Added some points
locusjag is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 29th June 2022, 19:36   #1847
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
No, that is perfectly fine. That would happen in any 4WD car in such a track. 4WD doesn't make SUV slip-proof, it just gives much higher chance of making it out.
Somebody at Mahindra needs to talk to the person who chose those tires for showing off a brand new off-road oriented vehicle in pretty slushy conditions...
Transmission is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2022, 19:38   #1848
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by careind View Post
I was not able to get even my eyes on the new Scorpio N in the flesh as the nearest dealership didnt have any.

How comfortable is the middle row bench? I infer that they cannot be retracted nor reclined. Added to that, the 3rd row is not a 50:50 split unit and does not offer flat boot space but can be tumbled.
Makes it difficult to think of it as a cruiser.
MM Motors - Porur has it, you can check it out there
virgovencat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2022, 19:50   #1849
Senior - BHPian

Mahindra says the new Scorpio-N is bigger and better in every area.

Side by side comparison - Link

Next-gen Mahindra Scorpio | Now revealed as Scorpio-N-smartselect_20220629194707_instagram.jpg

Next-gen Mahindra Scorpio | Now revealed as Scorpio-N-smartselect_20220629194715_instagram.jpg

Next-gen Mahindra Scorpio | Now revealed as Scorpio-N-smartselect_20220629194722_instagram.jpg

Next-gen Mahindra Scorpio | Now revealed as Scorpio-N-smartselect_20220629194731_instagram.jpg
Venkatesh is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th June 2022, 19:55   #1850
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambarkhan View Post

While Mahindra boasts excellent safety ratings, the omissions of ESC and rollover mitigation in Z2 and Z4 models are saddening and a deal-breaker for me. I can live without BLD and MLD and one can retrofit MLD. I am not so sure the same can be done with ESC and rollover mitigation. If no new /low-cost hardware is required to enable ESC, Mahindra should allow it on all variants.
Glad someone highlighted it. I saw AX5 in XUV700 getting all praises and people declaring it as VFM but i was appalled to know that AX5 petrol Manual doesn't even get ESP. AX5 is their mid variant and costs 19-20 Lacs on road. Along with a rear camera and powered folding ORVM how big of a glaring omission is that?

I have utmost respect for mahindra and the effort they are putting in but i think they really need to space out their variants better. ScorpioN seems to be slightly better than XUV700 in this department.
BleueNinja is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th June 2022, 20:03   #1851
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreeram View Post
No auto dimming Rear view Mirror in a 25L+ Car? Seriously, Mahindra?!
They didn't offer it in a 29+ lakh XUV7OO. Why is it so surprising for a 25L Scorpio? In fact, no surprise that.
Old 29th June 2022, 20:23   #1852
Senior - BHPian

To all those who are considering Scorpio N, when you test drive, PLEASE get some passengers in your middle row and get their sign off as well. Scorpio being Scorpio, whatever bells and whistles may be there, the Achilles heel could be the middle row comfort. There is no doubt of this vehicle performance when you are the driver and sit in the drivers seat, that is a done deal. The real test is for the middle row comfort IMHO. Again, subjective, not everyone would feel the same. Don't just fall for all this marketing jazz and fancy stuffs. So, get your family in there, climb some humps, go over some pot holes and take some turns, and check if you see smile on their face. .

Last edited by balenoed_ : 29th June 2022 at 20:37.
balenoed_ is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 29th June 2022, 20:25   #1853
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_ajay View Post
They didn't offer it in a 29+ lakh XUV7OO. Why is it so surprising for a 25L Scorpio? In fact, no surprise that.
It's not offered in their 40l alturas g4 either. It's reasonably feature ladden so the emission is glaring.
Old 29th June 2022, 20:26   #1854
BHPian

When is the tbhp review of Scorpio-N coming up on the tbhp website? Looking forward to that.

Last edited by ajayc123 : 29th June 2022 at 20:28.
ajayc123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2022, 20:46   #1855
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ld_sharma View Post
New Scorpio has ticked all the right boxes. Great design. Buch appearance. Looks well finished with good interiors. Pricing is perfect too - which is likely to increase after initial 25k bookings.
It is going to give competition to it's own siblings, Thar and XUV700 too in the variants which converge with it's pricing. D segment SUVs like Toyota Fortuner and even Innova Crysta have nothing to fear as those vehicles have their own dedicated fan following who will not compromise on build quality and reliability!
I won't comment on the reliability bit, but as for the build quality, Mahindra's recent line-up (XUV300, the BS6 Thar and now the XUV700) is right up there with the best. Each of these have bitten the bullet where the G-NCAP ratings are concerned and have come out with flying colours.

Unfortunately one can't say the same about the Koreans and the Chinese - who are still hesitant about offering their line-up for the G-NCAP tests.

Tata and Mahindra have done us proud and as a closet swadeshi I certainly feel the cockles warming up!

Last edited by shashanka : 29th June 2022 at 20:47.
shashanka is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2022, 21:10   #1856

Many BHPians hated the twin peaks logo, especially on the XUV7OO when they were revealed simultaneously. Is it because it feels like an aftermarket logo plastered on to the vehicle? IMO it looks really good on the Scorpio-N, as it is well integrated into the body panels.
Old 29th June 2022, 21:46   #1857
BHPian

Re: Automatic hatchback for a 3 women + 1 dog family

A superb product by M&M, no doubt about it. Scorpio N does look butch, has a long list of features, all important 4×4 option and a very impressive price tag. However, the space for the 3rd row occupants seems compromised. I wish M&M had offered fore and aft adjustments for the second row seats atleast. Hope M&M does it soon.
Phantom 510 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th June 2022, 21:55   #1858
BHPian

A lot of people are complaining about the rear door as an eyesore and not matching the overall look and feel of an otherwise Daddy SUV.
Though liking or not liking it is a personal matter so I’ll abstain myself from commenting on this but I can safely share one observation of mine (when I went to see the SUV in flesh and blood) over the reason for the back door opening sideways instead of opening up.

Initially Scorpio N surely was having third row in old school Scorpio style seating with seats facing each other. It is evident from the fact that there is a door opening knob from inside of the rear door which can no way be opened from the current layout of the last row nor it is of any value as people can’t jump out from the rear.
I think it was omitted later on for better safety rating. But the rear door design is retained.

Last edited by FidoDido : 29th June 2022 at 21:57. Reason: Improvise
FidoDido is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2022, 22:05   #1859
BHPian

Mahindra Scorpio-N 4x4 new video.

MercFan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th June 2022, 22:12   #1860
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arinmech View Post
Display launched at our local dealership, Bhubaneswar. Second photo is for those who have doubt about boot space with folded 3rd row. It is reasonable boot space.
Any Idea about how much the boot space when 3rd row seat is in folded state?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks