Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 28th June 2022, 19:47   #1771
BHPian

Re: Next-gen Mahindra Scorpio | Now revealed as Scorpio-N

786 liters of boot space with even the 2nd row folded does indicate sub-optimal layout from the point of view of boot space. Most other SUVs have higher available space with both rows folded. XUV 700 itself must be significantly higher. Looks like the better third row seating has come at the cost of boot space.

Next-gen Mahindra Scorpio | Now revealed as Scorpio-N-scorpionboot.png
tarunjain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2022, 19:49   #1772
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordrayden View Post
This is why I like Sirish so much!

https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=RmdgexJjDCI&t=642

Mahindra has an embargo on auto journalists giving "opnions". But Sirish is so visibly excited that he starts giving his opinions, realizes it halfway thought the video, doesn't care, says "what the hell" and continues to do to anyway. He truly has petrol running though his veins .
Many thanks for sharing the video

I believe there are many others like me who are looking for a comfortable 7 seater that is reliable for family trips without the need for off-roading capabilities. Some of the prime requirements would be:

flexible space management, safety, decently kitted, auto and manual options, comfortable ride for rear benches and long term reliability. All this without burning a hole in their pockets. Lets say an upper budget of ~15L ex showroom which would mean the Z4/Z6 variants.

In these respects, below are my thoughts with respect to competition (aka Carens Prestige Plus). Others may find it useful or could disagree

Space

The front 2 rows seem very comfortable. But the 3rd row is an absolute no-no for adults based on videos seen so far. The video above shows how Sireesh struggled in there...he is only 5.9 (my height). Plus there is no 50:50 split which has already been spoken about. Perhaps you can manage luggage by employing a roof carrier. In this respect, I see the Carens to be the winner, especially Prestige Plus

Safety

Based on all what that has been said, Scorpion N should be a very safe vehicle; however, we need to wait for the safety ratings to be absolutely sure. But lets assume a minimum 4*. In terms of safety kitting, you get most of the features from Z4 Auto variant onwards (not sure why they skipped the Z4 MT variant). But if you need 6 bags, be prepared to shell out a lot more for the Z8.
Carens does equally well if not better in terms of safety kit which starts from a lower trim level and with 6 airbags being standard across the range. However, the results of the crash testing were disappointing. So if you are looking for a safer vehicle, I guess Scorpio N scores more here despite the fact you will miss out on 6 airbags if restricted by the budget.

Equipment list and drive train

Both Scorpion N and Carens offers several options here. For those looking for AT, you are better of looking at Carens Diesel (if you want to stay away from the DCT) but this will cost you a lot more than your budget. Scorpio N offers more reliable options here with a proper Torque Converter For MT, both are similar in my view. And as far as equipment list is concerned, again I don't see a major difference with most of the nice to have features available on boths (I do not consider sunroof a need at all personally speaking)

Drive and ride comfort

Carens does a very good job here as attested my multiple reviews and is perfectly suited for a family ride. As for the Scorpion N, one will have to wait for the TBHP review to know for sure. Being a LoF, I do have my concerns about this especially the 2nd and 3rd rows being tossed around.

Reliability

Kia does not have such a good reputation for long term reliability in India, I gather. But please correct me if I am wrong. Scorpio on the other hand is a brand name associated with ruggedness and is thought to be abuse friendly. Don't think this would change with the latest generation, so Scorpion N wins here in my view.

Taking all of this into account, I feel the Z4 Petrol MT/AT would be slightly ahead of the Carens Prestige/Prestige Plus variants, even if you have to compromise a little on the 3rd row aspect. But if this is your biggest concern, I would suggest that you have a proper feel for the 3rd row space in the Scorpio N before deciding.

I have deliberately kept out looks as these are very subjective.
If I have missed out anything or if there are any fallacies in my assumptions, kindly point out.

Thanks.

Last edited by Axe77 : 28th June 2022 at 21:54. Reason: Removing extra smileys
akannath is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 28th June 2022, 20:02   #1773
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordrayden View Post
Mahindra has an embargo on auto journalists giving "opnions". But Sirish is so visibly excited that he starts giving his opinions, realizes it halfway thought the video, doesn't care, says "what the hell" and continues to do to anyway. He truly has petrol running though his veins .
Could just be selective leaks through hand-picked people, to keep up /drive up the curiosity and interest in the public minds
condor is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 28th June 2022, 20:08   #1774
BHPian

I spoke to a local dealership and he did mention that top end AT and 4WD in diesel will be 22 lacs ex-showroom so that will mean 26 to 27 lacs on road.

Just a note on multiple thoughts shared by fellow members, note that scorpio is RWD and a capable off-roader for mild to moderate situations even in 2WD mode.
alokk0912 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2022, 20:50   #1775
BHPian

Just coming back from Mahindra Showroom Mangalore- Karnataka Agencies. I was just blown away with the massive stance of ScorpioN, surprisingly it looks proportionate from any angle I look at it

Two negative points are,
1. fixed middle row seats because of which 3rd row space is limited. The showroom guy discouraged me from sitting in the 3rd row saying its only for kids
2. Boot space with all rows up is a complete nonsense. (But, who cares if the car is so good )

peace
sulliavi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2022, 20:57   #1776
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arinmech View Post
Display launched at our local dealership, Bhubaneswar. Second photo is for those who have doubt about boot space with folded 3rd row. It is reasonable boot space.
The last row completely tumbles and creates more space with flat surface. Take a look at the video towards the end.

Selective is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 28th June 2022, 21:29   #1777
srh
BHPian

Any idea if the steering is adjustable for reach?

Any statistics on the boot space with/ without 3rd row?

Is the 12 V socket at the rear the only one or do we have one in the front as well?

Which glove box is cooled?
Old 28th June 2022, 21:54   #1778
BHPian

There are many walkaround videos by now. In the race to churn out more content than the others and publish it faster, specially on such an important car which can bring good footfall to their channel, a lot of reviewers are still using words like 'I like it', 'looks good', etc, and also stating within same videos that opinions embargoed so we can't say anything, which are still very much 'opinions'.

While I appreciate spirit of competition and their efforts to explore loopholes and provide us with first hand content at the earliest, I still feel this is breaking rules to some extent and shouldn't be done. Embargoes are kept in place so that smaller channels/publications with lesser resources can also get ample time to publish, and perhaps more supporting viewpoints.

Appreciate the stand of Team-BHP on this, at times reviews come even later than embargo end date, but they never fail to amaze, and still are the most awaited reviews along with a couple of YT videos, and definitely, nothing beats the details to which TBHP goes to review the cars!
PrasunBannerjee is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2022, 21:57   #1779
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srh View Post

Any statistics on the boot space with/ without 3rd row?

Is the 12 V socket at the rear the only one or do we have one in the front as well?

Which glove box is cooled?
1. The steering is not adjustable for reach. I was experiencing the top end Z8L in the showrooms

2. 12 v socket only present in the third row. It was one of my complaints as this makes tyre inflation for front tyres really difficult.

3. There is only one glove box in front that is cooled. the armrest storage is very small, almost laughable, that has no cooling.
kushgandhi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th June 2022, 22:14   #1780
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akannath View Post

Has anyone had a chance to experience the 3rd row space?
My wife is 5'2" and was sitting comfortably in third row of scorpion. However safari third row is better compared to this one.

Middle row is more spacious. Even with driver seat adjusted to 6+ footer, middle row was comfortable for 6 footer.
Middle row has cooling coils for ac so it will be effective.
Some downsides are
1. Very little in-dash storage, glove box is small. Handrest storage is too shallow. With shift on the fly switch in place there will be nil storage on centre console. Due to no depth in dashboard, there is no scope to increase storage. However that creates more knee room to front seat passenger and driver and also adds scope for additional cabin space.
2. Wider tyres are good for off-road. But will it affect fuel efficiency?

Last edited by rooster.ram : 28th June 2022 at 22:40.
rooster.ram is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2022, 22:19   #1781
Senior - BHPian

Good to see that M&M hasn't restricted 3 seemingly simple but important features only to the top 1-2 variants. A-pillar grab handle on both sides from Z4 onwards, Isofix mounts from Z2 onwards and rear washer, wiper & demister from Z4 onwards.

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 28th June 2022 at 22:39.
comfortablynumb is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 28th June 2022, 22:20   #1782
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by srh View Post
It is not.

I was passing by a Mahindra Showroom today, so dropped in to check out the ScorpioN.

The vehicle has an imposing stance, specially the front is Money shot.

Somehow I felt that the massive exterior don't translate into same sort of interior space, this was an issue, in my book at least, with last gen Scoprio also.

Found few rough edges also, improper fit and finish on 2nd row captain sear armrest, the 3rd tumble down function is not very neat but I feel I was just nitpicking.

Few photos.
Attached Thumbnails
Next-gen Mahindra Scorpio | Now revealed as Scorpio-N-img20220628174202.jpg  

Next-gen Mahindra Scorpio | Now revealed as Scorpio-N-img20220628173928.jpg  

Next-gen Mahindra Scorpio | Now revealed as Scorpio-N-img20220628173827.jpg  

Next-gen Mahindra Scorpio | Now revealed as Scorpio-N-img20220628173432.jpg  

Next-gen Mahindra Scorpio | Now revealed as Scorpio-N-img20220628173336.jpg  

Next-gen Mahindra Scorpio | Now revealed as Scorpio-N-img20220628173302.jpg  

Next-gen Mahindra Scorpio | Now revealed as Scorpio-N-img20220628173627.jpg  

BANDHAV is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 28th June 2022, 22:46   #1783
Distinguished - BHPian

Check this out - BBC TopGear crew off-roading with the N. Specially the part where the car slides while turning and heading downhill through all that mud:-

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CfWQC...YmMyMTA2M2Y%3D

End of the day for "Big Daddy", courtesy Manav Sinha @ Twitter:-

Next-gen Mahindra Scorpio | Now revealed as Scorpio-N-2.jpg

Next-gen Mahindra Scorpio | Now revealed as Scorpio-N-3.jpg

Next-gen Mahindra Scorpio | Now revealed as Scorpio-N-1.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEF_Beasts View Post
Royal Gold and Grand Canyon colours were seen on the Pre-production XUV7OOs, but were not present on the production car. Looks like these colours are making it to the Scorpio N, but I miss a blue in the new Scorpio!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
They should really offer the blue shade. Plus, after the black shade was dropped by most car manufacturers, blue used to be present in their color palette.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gautham_v6 View Post
I feel that they should have provided Gunmetal grey and Aquamarine /indigo blue shade as well. Would have suited the car's personality.
There was a Blue colour listed for launch - a new shade which looked similar to Sky Blue but with a different name (birdie forgot the name too!). Procurement of this particular Blue shade in enough quantity within the launch deadlines became difficult and since the Grand Canyon shade was more readily available and already tested on the 7OO's pre-production test mules, a switch was done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreejithkk View Post
The only major missing part I feel is the lack of slide and recline adjustment for the 2nd row seats. Not sure if recline option is present in the captain seat variant but it is absent in the bench seat variant. And I think, it is the same issue with XUV 700.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arinmech View Post
It is the bench seat which gets reclining function. Not sure about captain seat.
Recline adjustment for the 2nd row seats is present for both configurations - in the bench seat and in the captain seat variants. It is present in the 7OO too.

But, no slide adjustment option here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gururajrv View Post
The only downer from the marketing front is that lame “DADDY” claim on all your posters!
Wanna bet how many Scorpio-N's get plastered by stickers screaming "Big Daddy" once the sold cars start hitting the roads? Specially in the NCR & Punjab regions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinbie2019 View Post
Curtain airbags not going beyond second row.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pandabear View Post
Seems at the front dotted lines that coverage is only up to the second row but in the rear side, it covers the third row, would be disappointed if it did not.
It doesn't. See the comparison of the curtain airbags of the Scorpio-N with those in the XUV7OO:-

Scorpio-N.

Next-gen Mahindra Scorpio | Now revealed as Scorpio-N-untitled.jpg

XUV7OO.

Next-gen Mahindra Scorpio | Now revealed as Scorpio-N-untitled2.jpg

Last edited by RavenAvi : 28th June 2022 at 23:09. Reason: added reply.
RavenAvi is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 28th June 2022, 22:53   #1784
BHPian

Does the car have 50:50 split in the third row? It doesn't seem like it has, from the video on evo India. Its a necessity. All the drowsiness monitor stuff are present, but no 50:50 split. This is a miss.

Given its height, I wonder how the highway dynamics would be on high speeds. I am not entirely sure Mahindra would do a high speed test like they did for the XUV700.
Old 28th June 2022, 23:01   #1785
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Check this out - BBC TopGear crew off-roading with the N. Specially the part where the car slides while turning and heading downhill through all that mud:-

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CfWQC...YmMyMTA2M2Y%3D
There is a lot of slipping and sliding happening in all the videos that are coming out from the media drives. I am not sure if it makes the car look good or bad - sort of makes the car look unstable, isn't it? Has the rainy season made the tracks more challenging than they were supposed to be?

Jeep Meridian's off-road drives come to mind from recent memory. Those were all absolutely dry tracks making the car look so much more stable and in control.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks