Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 29th June 2022, 16:06   #1831
Senior - BHPian

Re: Next-gen Mahindra Scorpio | Now revealed as Scorpio-N

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indepth View Post
So, should I go for 4WD, or am I overreacting?
Well, a purist would say that a 2wd SUV is a pseudo-SUV On a more practical note, a RWD SUV like the Scorpio-N is not at all going to leave you asking for more under "regular" driving conditions. By regular I mean driving on wet highways, on rural/broken roads, and even mild slush/mud. Moreover, you won't be able to engage 4wd on a part-time 4wd vehicle like the Scorpio-N on wet tarmac anyways (to your example of driving in the rains) - for that you'd need an AWD like the XUV 5OO/7OO or a full-time 4wd like the Endeavour/first-generation Fortuner.

Go for a 4x4 Scorpio-N if you intend to:

a) Indulge in recreational off-road activities
b) Use the vehicle for touring to off-beat places (like Spiti/Zanskar) which would require you to venture off the beaten track

It is like that investment you make for a rainy day (pun intended) when you are in a sticky situation and end up wishing that you had gone for a 4x4.

Edit: As someone pointed out, if budget is not a constraint, go for the 4x4 variant, just for that peace of mind factor if not for anything else

Last edited by cool_dube : 29th June 2022 at 16:09.
cool_dube is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 29th June 2022, 16:06   #1832
BHPian

Quote:
Another Dilemma !!

It is the theoretically stated fact that "RWD have poor traction in wet/slush conditions".

Quite on contrary, RWD has more traction than FWD because of two reasons

1. While fully loaded including luggage, rear wheels which are providing power to the vehicle have more weight on them than front wheels. Due to this, front wheels which provide power in FWD tend to slip during ascending slope while rear wheels don't in RWD vehicle.

2. While you pull something, it is easier than While you are pushing something. It is due to difference in vertical component of force being provided in both case (elementary mechanics ) This helps in more traction on rear wheel of RWD as the vehicle is being pushed while in FWD it is being pulled.

Last edited by Aditya : 29th June 2022 at 19:07. Reason: Quoted text edited
Arinmech is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th June 2022, 16:19   #1833
BHPian

What's with this weird trend of launching a product, then announcing its price a month later, then opening it's booking only to announce 1 year + wait times? Seems like the Indian car market has once again become supply driven instead of demand driven like the pre liberalisation days of the HM Ambassador & Padmini.

Something very weird is happening. Were I in the market for a new vehicle,i wouldn't wait for more than a month.
driven646 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th June 2022, 16:30   #1834
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arinmech View Post
Quite on contrary, RWD has more traction than FWD because of two reasons

1. While fully loaded including luggage, rear wheels which are providing power to the vehicle have more weight on them than front wheels. Due to this, front wheels which provide power in FWD tend to slip during ascending slope while rear wheels don't in RWD vehicle.
Well, I had considered this situation of full load.

But honestly my usage will be mostly 2 adults,with little luggage. So, I think most weight will still be acting on front wheels, under my usage conditions.

Last edited by Indepth : 29th June 2022 at 16:30. Reason: Typo
Old 29th June 2022, 17:01   #1835
BHPian

The new Scorpio N,

I like how big and imposing it looks from the front, but at the same time hate its flat and low rear hang REAR END.
Comparing it with the Endeavor and Fortuner, they look wider from the rear. The tail lamps on the Scorpio N makes it look taller and narrower.

I am driving a Safari Storme at present, and like all other Safari Owners, finding another Ladder Frame SUV.

Although the Scorpio N is a product which ticks most the boxes with its 4X4 Armour, but is misses out on a big thing.
The 3rd row of seats are useless for me, and eats up on the luggage space. Also they not being flat fold (tumble down with flat boot space), is another deal breaker.

Many of us, who drive the Safari, love it for its sheer capability to hold lot of luggage in its boot.

I wonder why the designers simply neglected this major factor, where the vehicles they have kept Scorpio N against have it as a feature.

I believe a rear flat fold 3rd row is essential for BIG SUVs, as there will seldom be a need of people travelling in 3rd row on long trips, but the need to put luggage in the back for long trips to the mountains or elsewhere is something that us travelers use the most.

I hope the design and planning team at Mahindra reads this and update this in the future.
As of now I have to keep the temptation of getting myself a Scorpio at bay, only because of the 3rd row of seats.

Will continue to be a member of SOUL (Safari Owners United League), Safari to Scorpio, may be later in the future.

Last edited by v_safari : 29th June 2022 at 17:02. Reason: spelling correction
v_safari is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 29th June 2022, 17:10   #1836
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v_safari View Post

Although the Scorpio N is a product which ticks most the boxes with its 4X4 Armour, but is misses out on a big thing.
The 3rd row of seats are useless for me, and eats up on the luggage space. Also they not being flat fold (tumble down with flat boot space), is another deal breaker
Please read the thread, boot space may not be a big issue if you don't use 3rd bench. It tumbles and stick vertically on backside of 2nd bench and generate flat boot space. It has been discussed earlier here.
Arinmech is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th June 2022, 17:18   #1837
BHPian

Looks like the third row will be a deal breaker for many including me.

1) No 3rd row AC vents, which is a must in a tropical climate like India especially South India.

2) split fold seats is a must for 6-7 seaters.

They could have given a roof mounted AC like XL6/Ertiga catering to both 2nd and 3rd row seats
Old 29th June 2022, 17:19   #1838
BHPian

Quote:
The new Scorpio N,

The 3rd row of seats are useless for me, and eats up on the luggage space.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arinmech View Post
Please read the thread, boot space may not be a big issue if you don't use 3rd bench. It tumbles and stick vertically on backside of 2nd bench and generate flat boot space. It has been discussed earlier here.
Yes, as Arinmech states, there is a video which clearly shows the extent of boot space with the 3rd row folded and tumbled. Its not bad and the video shows a well built 6 footer getting into the boot. So definitely useable boot with 5 passengers, but depends on what and how much luggage you intend to take. Please take a look at the video a few pages above.
Old 29th June 2022, 17:21   #1839
BANNED

Quote:
....It is the theoretically stated fact that "RWD have poor traction in wet/slush conditions".

Now I won't be off-roading. At least not in my plans.

But am I in danger of losing traction in moderate slush/muddy conditions found on our Indian roads?

I mean Indian roads can be termed as mild off-roading in certain parts of country (especially in monsoons).

I am choosing a full blown SUV.
But will I be on same level as some monocoque crossovers, under such situations or even worse, just because this one is a RWD?
I have finalised the 2WD version. I do understand 4WD shall not bother under any such situation.

I have been driving RWDers only from the start (1988 - Omni, Tata Sierra, Scorpio, two Eecos and the current BS6 Thar), with one minor aberration in between (Hyundai Getz). And my experience is quite contrary. I have found nothing much to choose between FWD & RWD as far as stability in muddy terrain is concerned. But you are quite right when it comes to 4WDers superior ability in getting out of sticky situations.

Last edited by shashanka : 29th June 2022 at 17:24.
shashanka is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2022, 17:23   #1840
BHPian

Sharing OTR Prices in Bangalore and Snapshot of Important Dates to keep it handy

Next-gen Mahindra Scorpio | Now revealed as Scorpio-N-screenshot-20220629-5.21.54-pm.png

Next-gen Mahindra Scorpio | Now revealed as Scorpio-N-screenshot-20220629-5.21.44-pm.png
neel911 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th June 2022, 17:38   #1841
BANNED

Quote:
.....I believe a rear flat fold 3rd row is essential for BIG SUVs, as there will seldom be a need of people travelling in 3rd row on long trips, but the need to put luggage in the back for long trips to the mountains or elsewhere is something that us travelers use the most.

I hope the design and planning team at Mahindra reads this and update this in the future.
As of now I have to keep the temptation of getting myself a Scorpio at bay, only because of the 3rd row of seats.

Will continue to be a member of SOUL (Safari Owners United League), Safari to Scorpio, may be later in the future.
I concur wth your view totally. We used the Scorpio for 14 years and the first thing we did was to remove the side facing two rear seats, thus freeing up a good deal of luggage space. But we had another reason too - our two boxers! They toured with us frequently (Mumbai > Lucknow > Naukuchiatal and back to Mumbai several times) and the space at the back helped to keep them from quarrelling!
Old 29th June 2022, 18:20   #1842

Quote:
Originally Posted by apache_aayush View Post
While the Scorpion won't dent the sales of the mighty fortuner it surely makes the fortuner look even more overpriced than what it already seems!
It won't dent the sales on new Fortuner but will definitely eat up the second hand fortuner market. Now it just doesn't make sense to buy a second hand fortuner when you can get a brand new Scorpio n at the same price.

What it will also do is retain customers that were ready to jump ship to Safari or other cars because of long wait of XUV700 or impracticality of Thar as a daily rider. Also i see a lot of people cancelling thier long waits for XUV700s and booking Scorpio N. So overall it's happy days for M&M.

Now they need to score big with eKUV and Electric 300 to properly take on TATA.

Loving this home grown competition. How come no one wants to touch Sedans?
Eleanor_Shelby is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 29th June 2022, 18:23   #1843
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VVN View Post
A noob question but is there any particular reason brands have started omitting the spare wheel on the rear door setup?
Rattle . . . in one word. No amount of reinforcement and engineering can account for a heavy spare wheel hung from a side-mounted tailgate. Over the months, especially on bad roads, gravity invariably pulls the tail gate off its correct alignment. Even a fraction of a millimeter misalignment means tailgate rattles. And if the misalignment grows to a few millimeters the problem of dust and water ingress starts, compounding the problem.

Germans in their typical left-brained approach put the spare wheel on a separate frame for the Mercedes ML350 hoping that would not rattle. But still after a few years of hard usage, the contraption rattled like a rattlesnake's tail. A few weeks ago I was in Africa and they sent a ML350 with the tailgate mounted spare to receive me. And sure as Africa begins and ends with an A, she rattled!

If you own a tailgate mounted wheel, get a roof rack and put the wheel on the roof, shackled with a chain and Godrej Nav-Tal to prevent theft
Ferruccio is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 29th June 2022, 18:40   #1844
BHPian

Quote:
Another Dilemma !!
2WD is just fine for normal day-to-day scenarios. RWDs are capable of handling decent amount of non-asphalted roads.

Only thing to watch out for is reversing on a slippery incline. RWDs will typically do lot of drama and wheelspins in this scenario.

However, if you dream about driving to Leh in winters or dune bashing in Rajasthan, 4WD is a good idea.
prasanna_indaje is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2022, 18:52   #1845
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabh041086 View Post
May be a silly question breaking the momentum of thread. But where do these cars end up after the media drive?
Most manufacturers offer a tender with first preference to employees. As the employees usually know the history of the vehicles, except for the most temperamental ones most press fleet vehicles get picked up internally. That way even those who are not eligible for a company given vehicle have the pride of driving a vehicle that they are so closely associated with.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks