Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 29th June 2022, 12:44   #1816
Senior - BHPian

Re: Next-gen Mahindra Scorpio | Now revealed as Scorpio-N

What's the waiting period for delivery? I am wanting to buy one Diesel AT 2WD and need to take delivery by Jan. Shall I book it now to take delivery by Jan 2023?
tanwaramit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2022, 13:02   #1817
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KNL_Bandi View Post
Just wondering, what would have happened had your relative insisted on delaying the delivery. Would you be still in the queue or get kicked out and forced to book again from scratch?
I plan to book the Scorpio and hopefully take the delivery by late October or early November.
I am not in India now, and if the vehicle is allocated before October, I would be forced to delay (if possible) or cancel it.
If someone else's car is assigned to you because they could not take delivery and you are next on the list for the variant/color combination, you have a right to refuse, if you are not ready to take delivery. This happened tot me the first time. In this case, your priority order for allocation is retained and the price protection is also retained (based on your date of booking).

But when the actual vehicle produced against your own booking is allocated to you, if you refuse delivery, you lose your priority in the queue and also lose price protection. If you still want the car, the booking is treated like a fresh booking. This is what happened the second time and since we could still not take delivery, we lost the price protection and cancelled the booking.
84.monsoon is online now   (10) Thanks
Old 29th June 2022, 13:07   #1818
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post

But when the actual vehicle produced against your own booking is allocated to you,
How is Mahindra allocating this and at what stage?
Old 29th June 2022, 13:11   #1819
BHPian

Most of us are starstruck by the new ScorpioN, rightly so !!
It is a dream vehicle for many.

However, in isolation I think there are at least 3 important omissions.
1. Steering reach adjustment.
2. Auto dimming IRVM.
3. Last row 60:40 or 50:50 split.

Now, one may count endless other features, like ticket holder, vanity mirror and what not.
But that would be pointless since no car offers all of them.

However, I think above mentioned three features are extremely important in long term ownership experience of the vehicle. It would have been worth the stretch, even if offered in just top trim.

Also, the feature distribution across variants is not optimum.
Even the premium commanded for each variant is quite high.
Don't get me wrong here, ScorpioN as a vehicle is extreme VFM, but that value starts from the base MT itself.
The premiums for variants is high. The premium for AT and 4WD is expected to be high as well.

Noone has doubts regarding ScorpioN selling like hot cakes!!

However, I think this is more of like a Tata Hexa moment for ScorpioN. The extremely capable Hexa had partly struggled due to poor features distribution.
Although ScorpioN will not face that kind of situation ever, but still couldn't resist drawing parallels.
Indepth is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th June 2022, 13:20   #1820
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanwaramit View Post
What's the waiting period for delivery? I am wanting to buy one Diesel AT 2WD and need to take delivery by Jan. Shall I book it now to take delivery by Jan 2023?
The official bookings are yet to start. If you are lucky to be among the first 25K bookings on 30th July, I believe Mahindra indicated deliveries around the festive season.
atluri_rkc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2022, 13:24   #1821
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indepth View Post
However, in isolation I think there are at least 3 important omissions.
1. Steering reach adjustment.
2. Auto dimming IRVM.
3. Last row 60:40 or 50:50 split.

Now, one may count endless other features, like ticket holder, vanity mirror and what not.
But that would be pointless since no car offers all of them.

However, I think above mentioned three features are extremely important in long term ownership experience of the vehicle
Pardon my ignorance. Curious to know why is auto-dimming IRVM such an extremely important feature?

I never experienced it, so I cannot comprehend the value addition.

Personally, it is just a button that I used to turn on manually at night and revert back during the day.
KNL_Bandi is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th June 2022, 13:26   #1822
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashanka View Post
Considerng the kind of garbage that the Chinese and Koreans throw at us (FWD monocoque large hatches cavorting as SUVs) I think Mahindra deserves only kudos for their products over the past few months. Semantics and hair-splitting has become staple in our social media. Sad that it is showing up on T-BHP too.
I'm not complaining about quality or nitpicking any aspect of the car in general yet before seeing the car in person, or at least till the time reviews are out.

I was concerned about the quality content team has churned out, which looks, just for sake of it or too rushed. Afterall, its the 'daddy' car taking on the D segment, and next-gen major update of a car that redefined Mahindra forever
PrasunBannerjee is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th June 2022, 13:46   #1823
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChetanM6 View Post
Confused between this and XUV700 . SA says the top end AT 4WD would be around 26.5 lakhs OTR Bangalore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dushie View Post
Sharing Bangalore pricelist and brochure for those interested
Z8 L D MT 2WD is around 24.5 lac on road here in Bangalore (excluding extended warranty charges). One can expect the Z8 L D AT 4WD to be just shy of the 30 lac mark including extended warranty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asoon View Post
on a different note, can anyone help with the fuel economy of 2L turbo petrol, how it is performing in Thar & XUV.
My Thar returns 7-8 kmpl in city and 10-11 kmpl on good highways.
cool_dube is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th June 2022, 14:10   #1824
BHPian

Quote:
Pardon my ignorance. Curious to know why is auto-dimming IRVM such an extremely important feature?
Simply put, auto dimming IRVM works something like auto brightness sensor on your mobile.
The manual switch works, but only if switched at right time. One should not keep it on at all times, even during night.

Auto IRVM darkens the mirror according to amount of light falling on it.

This feature is typically categorised as comfort and convenience in car brochures.
But after using it for 6 years on my GT TSI, I definitely consider it a safety feature.

More info on below link :

https://www.91wheels.com/news/what-i...-know-about-it

Source : 91 wheels.
Indepth is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th June 2022, 14:43   #1825

New Scorpio has ticked all the right boxes. Great design. Buch appearance. Looks well finished with good interiors. Pricing is perfect too - which is likely to increase after initial 25k bookings.
It is going to give competition to it's own siblings, Thar and XUV700 too in the variants which converge with it's pricing. D segment SUVs like Toyota Fortuner and even Innova Crysta have nothing to fear as those vehicles have their own dedicated fan following who will not compromise on build quality and reliability!
ld_sharma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2022, 14:55   #1826
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I never experienced it, so I cannot comprehend the value addition.

Personally, it is just a button that I used to turn on manually at night and revert back during the day.
At 20lakhs, its not a value addition anymore. It is basic necessity and I've been living it with 8yrs now in one car and when I switch to the other which doesn't have it, I realize its such a great feature to have.

Have you ever moved to the dim-mode and you had to manually adjust the mirror so that you can get a good field of view? And sometimes you have to toggle between the two setups cause dim-mode is too dim vs. too bright. Imagine all that hassle going away and you just drive!
Nilesh5417 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th June 2022, 15:00   #1827
BHPian

The Scorpio N genuine accessories brochure was shared by the sales executive. Hope they price it well because my genuine accessories on the 7.5 years old xuv are still like new. The quality is superior than third party accessories.

Looking at the Z8 MT I’m really curious at upgrading the steel wheels to 18” alloys with the 255 section rubber.

Here’s the accessories list.

brosher new scorpio n.pdf
kushgandhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2022, 15:31   #1828
BHPian

Another Dilemma !!

I have finalised my next ride as ScorpioN. There are no two ways about it. I am not an off-roader currently (but who knows).
FWD or RWD, doesn't matter much for me. I have driven only FWD vehicles throughout.
However, after finalising ScorpioN 2WD, I now realise the experience is going to be a bit different.
Now the difference in driving experience is a no-brainer. It surely will be unique. But there is one thing regarding ScorpioN being a RWD which is bothering me!!

It is the theoretically stated fact that "RWD have poor traction in wet/slush conditions".

Now I won't be off-roading. At least not in my plans.

But am I in danger of losing traction in moderate slush/muddy conditions found on our Indian roads?

I mean Indian roads can be termed as mild off-roading in certain parts of country (especially in monsoons).

I am choosing a full blown SUV.
But will I be on same level as some monocoque crossovers, under such situations or even worse, just because this one is a RWD?
I have finalised the 2WD version. I do understand 4WD shall not bother under any such situation.

So, should I go for 4WD, or am I overreacting?

Last edited by Aditya : 29th June 2022 at 19:05. Reason: Font formatting
Old 29th June 2022, 16:03   #1829
BHPian

Quote:
As a personal rule of thumb, with such a big vehicle always go for 4x4/AWD. You might need it once in a blue moon but trust me it is always worth it.

So my recommendation, if the budget allows and no other issue, then go for the 4x4 variant.

Last edited by Aditya : 29th June 2022 at 19:06. Reason: Quoted text edited
ralto is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 29th June 2022, 16:04   #1830
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Another Dilemma !!

I have finalised my next ride as ScorpioN. There are no two ways about it. I am not an off-roader currently (but who knows).
It is the theoretically stated fact that "RWD have poor traction in wet/slush conditions".
But am I in danger of losing traction in moderate slush/muddy conditions found on our Indian roads?
But will I be on same level as some monocoque crossovers, just because this one is a RWD?
I have finalised the 2WD version. I do understand 4WD shall not bother under any such situation.
You don't need to worry. It is true that in general, FWD does better in ice and rain especially when when going fast around corners etc. However, we tend to have very little snow & ice across most parts of India and when it rains, traffic tends to slow down drastically in India anyway due to traffic and road condition etc.

Majority of European luxury cars are RWD (BMW/Benz etc.). So are the Innovas that fill our roads. I have not seen an Innova lose traction anymore than a Creta. In fact, I have seen Innova take on some really tough terrain and even beat some AWD Monocoques in various comparison tests.

Just make sure you get a variant with traction control and ESC. Good thing is ESC is available from Z4 AT upwards (Unlike in the XUV700 which did not even get ESC in AX5 Petrol (Only AX5 Diesel and upwards got it)

Last edited by Aditya : 29th June 2022 at 19:06. Reason: Quoted text edited
84.monsoon is online now   (11) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks