Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 27th March 2020, 11:36   #136
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Third-gen Hyundai i20 spotted testing in Chennai. Edit: Launched at 6.79 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BZ25 View Post
This is definitely a polarizing design, that seems to have put off many BHPians, though IMO I really like it. The interior looks great (better than the one on the new Creta), hopefully Hyundai is able to bring it in a similar spec.
What I feel is, the car looks fine from front. It looks modern from the rear. When its all seen together - it appears as if different teams made the pieces & just put them together. The design doesn't blend properly IMO. Just my thought of course, looks are subjective.

Also - quite remarkably low face & sloping bonnet. Must be testing the limits of thresholds for pedestrian safety regulations I think. Also looks a bit odd from the sides due to that. Liked the flat slab of the current i20 compared to this. (Or maybe this change is to align with pedestrian safety regulations! Don't know.)

The face reminds me of the Mahindra Reva e2O. As if it was squeezed from top a bit.

Last edited by Reinhard : 27th March 2020 at 11:37.
Reinhard is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th March 2020, 11:44   #137
Senior - BHPian

re: Third-gen Hyundai i20 spotted testing in Chennai. Edit: Launched at 6.79 lakhs

I liked the design. It looks like Hyundai is going to get the 2020 Verna face to all its cars. To me it it looks futuristic and appeals more than Altroz.
padmrajravi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th March 2020, 11:57   #138
Senior - BHPian

The car looks refreshing in its new looks. These days premium hatches are a fast dying breed I feel. This segment is surely and slowly being swallowed by the sub 4m SUV' s. My guess is the price of top variant of new i 20 would overlap with at least the entry/mid variants of upcoming cars like Kia Sonet. Won't such cars make it a compelling proposition for people shopping in the premium hatch space?

Earlier the trend was A and B1 segment car users directly jumping to a C1 sedan altogether skipping the premium hatches(B2). Now I feel the trend is to hit the sub 4 m suv or even the mid size suv ( C2 ) skipping B2. It's also a reflection that people who bought an entry level hatch tends to use it for a long period of time (7-8 years) before upgrading. I don't have any data to prove this.

May be there's a scope of a poll to find out.
Bibendum90949 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 27th March 2020, 12:22   #139
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibendum90949 View Post
The car looks refreshing in its new looks. These days premium hatches are a fast dying breed I feel. This segment is surely and slowly being swallowed by the sub 4m SUV' s. My guess is the price of top variant of new i 20 would overlap with at least the entry/mid variants of upcoming cars like Kia Sonet. Won't such cars make it a compelling proposition for people shopping in the premium hatch space?

Earlier the trend was A and B1 segment car users directly jumping to a C1 sedan altogether skipping the premium hatches(B2). Now I feel the trend is to hit the sub 4 m suv or even the mid size suv ( C2 ) skipping B2. It's also a reflection that people who bought an entry level hatch tends to use it for a long period of time (7-8 years) before upgrading. I don't have any data to prove this.

May be there's a scope of a poll to find out.
Leave aside the Sonet, it has an in-house competitor, the Hyundai Venue.
However the crossovers can never match up to the interior quality or the driving dynamics of its hatchback sibling.

But I've never seen anyone here in Team-BHP or in real life cross-shop crossovers and hatchbacks. People seem to be clear about they want, and look at rivals in that segment only.
turbo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2020, 12:30   #140
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo View Post
Leave aside the Sonet, it has an in-house competitor, the Hyundai Venue.
However the crossovers can never match up to the interior quality or the driving dynamics of its hatchback sibling.
By the way Sonet is not a rank outsider for Hyundai

Driving dynamics yes. But interior quality ? How is that superior in a hatchback over a cross over
Bibendum90949 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2020, 12:35   #141
Senior - BHPian

The new i20 looks great and sleek. What I'm afraid is the headlights coming to low in most of the modern cars and even SUV's so much so it can get damaged even in slow shunt situations. Just before the 'Lockdown' came in force I was going to pick up my daughter in law from her office and a biker middle aged person with his wife riding pillion (had done some 'panic' shopping) swerved into my path without looking and there was minor ding on my Honda City Front Bumper Right edge his wife realized the mistake and apologized profusely, his side protection had touched my bumper and also my bumper protector there wasn't any major damage and I rubbed it of with rectified spirit and marks went away. But the same ding in either new i20 or even the new Creta would have surely made contact with the headlight lens as it swoops down to meet the bumper/lowly placed headlight.

Last edited by Durango Dude : 27th March 2020 at 12:39.
Old 27th March 2020, 12:44   #142
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibendum90949 View Post
By the way Sonet is not a rank outsider for Hyundai

Driving dynamics yes. But interior quality ? How is that superior in a hatchback over a cross over
The sonet is not a rank outsider, conceded, but the Venue is much more of an insider.

Just check the Venue and the i20 back to back and you'll know what I'm talking about.

I'm yet to come across a single crossover that gives me quality interior feel, apart from the XUV300. Which is priced so close to the Creta/Seltos that it doesnt make sense.
Old 27th March 2020, 14:22   #143
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
NEW Hyundai i20

Hyundai has released new photos of the interiors of the new i20 for EU .
While the design is somewhat better than the ugly Creta, I just cant get myself to accept the weird steering design. The classic meaty three spoke steering would have been so much better than the downright weird design of this new steering design borrowed from the Creta.
arindambasu13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2020, 21:20   #144
Senior - BHPian

I cannot understand as to why all of the new Hyundai cars just lack cohesiveness! The new Creta, the Aura, the 3rd Gen i20, even the Venue, almost all of them just look like they have been designed in parts and put together by another team.

The New i20 seems to have a rear that just does not blend in to the rest of the body. Awkward. There cannot be another word to describe these new cars. I have a 2018 Creta and a 2019 Elite i20 and both of these are fairly non controversial designs, may not be the best lookers, but they do not hurt your eyes. Same goes with the 2017 Verna.

I just wish they get back to clean and cohesive designs sometime in the future. I mean, you cannot have the 2nd largest auto company in India keep churning out bad designs!
motorworks is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th March 2020, 23:28   #145
BHPian

The layout of the infotainment system has an uncanny resemblance to the ones on the new age BMWs! ( I've already pointed out the same for the instrument cluster in the past).

Even the design of the steering wheel seems to be inspired by the one on A8!.
Shashwat.75 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th March 2020, 10:00   #146
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo View Post
Here's the same video, but in English
Honestly, this car looks smashing to me. It looks very modern, with an edgy design. Head-on, it looks aggressive and it's got a nice stance. I found the new Creta to be imposing, but not good looking especially from the rear. So now, Hyundai designers might have redeemed themselves with this looker.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 28th March 2020 at 10:52. Reason: video link removed
John316_WRC is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th March 2020, 07:19   #147
Senior - BHPian

The i20 feels substantially bigger than the Swift and Grand i10, but feels half a size smaller than the Baleno and Jazz. Hope Hyundai can up their game in packaging the car.
Old 12th April 2020, 01:02   #148
BHPian

The first 2020 i20 (without any camouflage) has been spied on the road. The article, however, doesn't specify where exactly it was seen but the image has been sourced from c.motorgraph.com which seems to be a Korean website.

The new model should be offered with three engine options, as most of us speculate - 1.2 petrol, 1.0 turbocharged petrol and 1.5 diesel engine. The Indian launch is expected in September, obviously if the current virus situation is contained.

https://indianautosblog.com/first-20...s-road-p320285
Old 12th April 2020, 12:34   #149
Senior - BHPian

Looks like the i30 is being homologated

https://www.rushlane.com/hyundai-i30...-12357993.html
Old 13th April 2020, 12:44   #150
Distinguished - BHPian

Hyundai i20 spotted on Korean roads:

Third-gen Hyundai i20 spotted testing in Chennai. Edit: Launched at 6.79 lakhs-rearsidelookef88.jpg

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 13th April 2020 at 12:48.
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks