Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 16th April 2021, 18:28   #541
BHPian

Re: Maruti to finally bring Jimny to India?

So now it is a race between the launch of the 5-door Thar vs the 5-door Jimny. Nice to see the good old Jeep vs Gypsy fire being fueled up. An all new modern 5-door "Gypsy" with a 100bhp mill?! This is exciting!!

Maruti needs to be cautious with the pricing. If priced well, I expect a third of Thar's sales to go for the Jimny. Is that too optimistic? And I wonder what they will call it - Jimny or Gypsy?
Miel is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th April 2021, 19:30   #542
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miel View Post
So now it is a race between the launch of the 5-door Thar vs the 5-door Jimny. Nice to see the good old Jeep vs Gypsy fire being fueled up. An all new modern 5-door "Gypsy" with a 100bhp mill?! This is exciting!!

Maruti needs to be cautious with the pricing. If priced well, I expect a third of Thar's sales to go for the Jimny. Is that too optimistic? And I wonder what they will call it - Jimny or Gypsy?
For Jimny be it 3 door or 5 door pricing will be poles apart from Thar 3 door/5 door, hardcore off roaders may prefer a light weight compact vehicle which can be easily maneuvered on those tough terrains (Gypsy owners can correlate), however it will lack the super imposing stance and space available in Thar, the 5 door Jimny dimensions are smaller than the current Thar SWB on sale, so unless FML decides do something ambitious with the Gurkha I don’t see a real competition for the Thar. Those willing to own a Jeep will surely look for Thar only.

However, Jimny as a separate product will not have any real competition in the price bracket it will come. Hence, many prospective buyers who wish to buy something like a Thar and have a budget of premium hatchback or a Csedan may hop in for the Jimny.
abhikb is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 16th April 2021, 20:26   #543
Distinguished - BHPian

Suzuki's Jimny SIERRA ( 5 Door) revealed through catalouge pics:

Quote:
complete catalog including information on the development site from the test scene in Europe

Maruti to finally bring Jimny to India?-2.jpg

Maruti to finally bring Jimny to India?-5e02914ad3c6aca4eb5a04fff518f9ea.jpg

Last edited by volkman10 : 16th April 2021 at 20:29.
volkman10 is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 17th April 2021, 00:14   #544
BHPian

Wondering what's taking so long for the folks at MSIL to do the market research and give the go-ahead for selling the Jimny in India. Maybe we can help them
  • Just look at the new Thar, 50K bookings and a waiting period of 8 months now. Definitely the 3 door 4x4 segment is popular
  • All this with the base variant of the Thar being discontinued. If a 3 door 4x4 sub 4-meter that costs at least 14L on-road can sell 3-4K units a month that too limited by production constraints, a sub 10L will definitely sell
  • R&D costs will not be significant given the product already sells in Japan.
  • Significant potential for part sharing. 1.5L K series engine, gearbox, infotainment system, instrument cluster, door switches, steering wheel parts can be easily sourced from the existing cars (Ertiga, S-Cross, etc.)
  • The Gypsy did reasonably well in the past. Can I say better than their current flopstars (Ignis, S Cross, etc.) which MSIL desperately tries to keep selling

Let there be some aspirational value in your portfolio MSIL. Hiring Ranveer Singh doesn't cut it these days.
sid_deb is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 17th April 2021, 05:10   #545
Senior - BHPian

I think they fear it may kill multiple car options from Ignis to SCross, including the Vitara Brezza. Or it may be a Nexa vs non- Nexa positioning, which practically doesnt have much of value. In any case I liked the last post about Ranveer Singh. In fact, any movie celebrity endorsing a car is very much passe’ !
fhdowntheline is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2021, 06:04   #546
Senior - BHPian

Surprised to see the much discussed 4 speed automatic is being used. I was hoping that they finally move up from it in the K15B-AT configuration. Would've spelt good news for the S-Cross at least.
Probably makes more sense in the Jimny depending on how the engine is configured but hopefully they do upgrade the AT.

Last edited by shancz : 17th April 2021 at 06:05. Reason: typo
shancz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th April 2021, 09:32   #547
KPR
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sid_deb View Post
Let there be some aspirational value in your portfolio MSIL. Hiring Ranveer Singh doesn't cut it these days.
One more advertisement showing a Jimny jumping Ladakh terrains and wading through Western Ghats monsoon water is on the pipeline. Let's see if Ranveer drives that Jimny or an IT professional and his lady who are fed up with their home office during Covid times.
KPR is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th April 2021, 10:32   #548
Senior - BHPian

Five-door Jimny if it comes to India will take a big chunk of Thar sales. Thar's biggest problem is that it can only be a second car or a two-person car. There is no way a Thar can be the only car in a family with at least one kid. Those ISOFIX mounts only carry the kid. In most cases, the toddler has more luggage than both the parents combined. And Thar is a strict no in cases like that. A five-door Jimny can be the only car in a small family. Like a Creta or an S Cross. And that will be its biggest selling point compared to Thar. If priced similar to a Creta, it will be a huge hit.

Last edited by padmrajravi : 17th April 2021 at 10:33.
padmrajravi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th April 2021, 11:11   #549
Distinguished - BHPian

Good to see the 5 door model gaining only 100 Kgs v/s the 3 Door.

Now lets just hope the 3 door is launching in India too & hope they retain the K15B motor with the Manual Transmission Option.

karan561 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th April 2021, 17:48   #550
BHPian

So it will not be a proper 5 Seater then. The current Thar is at 3985mm and 5 Door Jimny will be 3850, I guess I was wrong in expecting that it will be a proper 5 seater along with good boot space. Lets see what the time tell in the coming months about how this shapes up.
For Transmission, they should have upgraded it to at least 6 Speed Auto, good part is that there is still a 5 Speed Manual.
Old 17th April 2021, 18:21   #551
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swunkjyn View Post
So it will not be a proper 5 Seater then. The current Thar is at 3985mm and 5 Door Jimny will be 3850, I guess I was wrong in expecting that it will be a proper 5 seater along with good boot space.
I think it will be a proper 4 seater. 5 people may be a squeeze because of the width. The current generation Thar does not do a good job of space management with a long bonnet. Check the side view of the camouflaged Jimny and Thar from the official review. Thar's bonnet to passenger cabin size ratio looks lower than Jimny. Jimny seems to have a longer passenger cabin than Thar.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti to finally bring Jimny to India?-thar.jpg  

Maruti to finally bring Jimny to India?-jimny.jpg  

padmrajravi is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 17th April 2021, 19:12   #552
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by padmrajravi View Post
I think it will be a proper 4 seater. 5 people may be a squeeze because of the width. The current generation Thar does not do a good job of space management with a long bonnet. Check the side view of the camouflaged Jimny and Thar from the official review. Thar's bonnet to passenger cabin size ratio looks lower than Jimny. Jimny seems to have a longer passenger cabin than Thar.
Though you have given a comparison shot of both the Cars, I will still wait for the Final product to be out. But one thing is for sure, for Thar, it looks like almost 30 percent of the length of the car is taken by the Bonnet or before the A Pillar starts.
Whereas when I see the LWB Jimny, it looks somewhere around 25% and I find it to be a bit more proportionate. It reminds me of good old Gypsy !

I am being ambitious but if Maruti-Suzuki prices it below 15 Lakhs or in competition with Thar, they might have a winner here. And Jimny is well established outside India too so that adds another factor. Is there any insider news or rumour when its going to come to India in all its flesh and glory.
swunkjyn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2021, 19:51   #553
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swunkjyn View Post
-- Is there any insider news or rumour when its going to come to India in all its flesh and glory.
Likely to be launched at the 2022 Auto Expo.

- Jimny
- Grand Vitara ( 5 and 7 seater?)
- MUV ( Toyota collaboration)

Quote:
FY22 looks far more promising for MSIL, with several launches lined up for the next two years, with a mixture of full upgrades of existing models (Alto, Celerio, Brezza, Ciaz, and Baleno) as well as new model launches (Jimny, Grand Vitara, and mid-sized MUVs).

These launches are focused on SUVs (all new models and Brezza), but would also address its key entry-level model Alto after a gap of 10 years.
Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 17th April 2021 at 19:55.
volkman10 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th April 2021, 10:51   #554
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Likely to be launched at the 2022 Auto Expo.
- Jimny
- Grand Vitara ( 5 and 7 seater?)
- MUV ( Toyota collaboration)
Grand Vitara is doing well in Australia and we all know about the Jimmy. If you are saying next year, then might have to wait a bit longer.
Given the current prices and shortage of semi conductors, I hope we see the product in market by May or June 2022.
Old 18th April 2021, 11:36   #555
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by padmrajravi View Post
The current generation Thar does not do a good job of space management with a long bonnet. Check the side view of the camouflaged Jimny and Thar from the official review. Thar's bonnet to passenger cabin size ratio looks lower than Jimny. Jimny seems to have a longer passenger cabin than Thar.
Agree, but -

1. Thar has an engine bay designed to be large enough to hold a 2.2 litre turbo-diesel engine with a six speed torque converter transmission.

Jimny needs a much smaller bonnet because it is designed for just two engines - the bigger one being a 'tiny-in-comparison' 1500cc naturally aspirated petrol with a 4 speed torque converter transmission.

2. Need to factor in the difference in size. Four door Jimny is nowhere close to a Thar in size.

Jimny four door (speculated) - 3850 L x 1645 W x 1730 H.
Thar - 3,985 L x 1,855 mm W x 1,896 mm H.

To put the Jimny 4-door numbers into perspective - it is as long as the previous generation Swift, and as wide as the new Santro - two cars the new Thar will dwarf completely side by side.

3. A more realistic size comparison - considering the 3850mm length of both cars. I guess we can realistically expect 'manageable' hatchback levels of backseat space + a 175-200L boot space.

Maruti to finally bring Jimny to India?-7.jpeg

Maruti to finally bring Jimny to India?-marutiswift03.jpg
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (4) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks