Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 13th May 2021, 23:36   #586
BHPian

Re: Maruti to finally bring Jimny to India?

As I was guessing, Suzuki is coming up with a potentially deadly combination Jimny:

1) Sub 4 meter
2) 5 Doors
3) 1.2 turbo petrol
4) 6 Speed torque convertor (from Toyota)
5) Mild hybrid

https://www.caradvice.com.au/951898/...-price-report/
CkmGowda is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th May 2021, 16:46   #587
Distinguished - BHPian

'Suzuki Jimny Long' Coming In 2022 With Five Doors And Turbo Power - Will it be the 1.2 or 1.5L Turbo engine?

Maruti to finally bring Jimny to India?-2.jpg

Maruti to finally bring Jimny to India?-1.jpg

Link
volkman10 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 14th May 2021, 21:09   #588
BHPian

I think it will be 1.4L turbo petrol. Proven and debugged engine. let us hope it is so.
sridhar-v is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2021, 23:25   #589
BHPian

What is the lowest selling price of Jimny over the globe? I'm not able to find the price of the car in many markets. Pricing in UAE will give us an idea on what to expect in India too. Somebody please throw some light on it's actual market price.

Looks like Maruti will revive the GYPSY brand name with 5D Jimny in India.
Old 18th May 2021, 10:52   #590
Distinguished - BHPian

Suzuki Jimny could be offered in 2 petrol variants for India:

- 1.4-litre turbo-petrol (boosterjet) engine, comes with mild-hybrid tech as standard in the UK, but could be optional in India.

- The 1.5-litre petrol unit to cater to the lower end of the spectrum in terms of pricing.

- The 5 door Jimny is speculated to be exclusively built in India and will cater to export markets as well.

Quote:
expect the Jimny to come with a 1.5-litre petrol engine, mated to a 5-speed manual or a 4-speed automatic gearbox, a turbo-petrol option is likely to be available as well. This will mostly come in the form of the 1.4-litre turbo-petrol engine that Suzuki offers overseas. It comes with the carmaker’s mild-hybrid system as standard but could be optional in India.

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 18th May 2021 at 10:53.
volkman10 is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 18th May 2021, 11:05   #591
Senior - BHPian

This launch is a never ending delay. I have been hearing the news since the last 5 years. At one point, I even thought of giving it a shot but all sources keep pushing back dates by 6 months to 1 year. I have lost hopes of an Indian release anytime soon.
Raghu M is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 18th May 2021, 12:11   #592
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raghu M View Post
This launch is a never ending delay. I have been hearing the news since the last 5 years. At one point, I even thought of giving it a shot but all sources keep pushing back dates by 6 months to 1 year. I have lost hopes of an Indian release anytime soon.
Totally agree. This was one launch which was always speculated to be a few months away. In the meantime Thar aside, even Force sold many iterations of the Gurkha.

I waited to see this while my Thar was on waitlist.
indian21r is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th May 2021, 12:34   #593
AZT
BHPian

Now I'm thinking we may see 5 door Thar before we see a 5 door Jimny. The quote "Make hay while the sun shines" seems apt for Mahindra while Suzuki continues to not have a launch timeline.
AZT is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th May 2021, 13:12   #594
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raghu M View Post
Did you fall for it?? It didn't take me long to figure out all those "news items" being recycled and re-worded a bit here and there was a scam - works of fantasies being perpetrated by auto-journalists who were tasked with writing the next 200 word article as part of their contract with some magazine and collect their payments.
Ragul is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 18th May 2021, 13:28   #595
MCR
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
- 1.4-litre turbo-petrol (boosterjet) engine, comes with mild-hybrid tech as standard in the UK, but could be optional in India.
I feel this engine may not be offered on the Jimny.
It "may (and a BIG May)" be making its debut with the Creta/Seltos competitor which is speculated to be under development at MSIL.

Link to News Item : https://www.autocarindia.com/car-new...om-2022-419337

What I suspect Jimny to be is a 2WD Squarish SUV with a power train from Vitara Brezza.
MCR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th May 2021, 14:26   #596
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul View Post
Did you fall for it?? It didn't take me long to figure out all those "news items" being recycled and re-worded a bit here and there was a scam - works of fantasies being perpetrated by auto-journalists who were tasked with writing the next 200 word article as part of their contract with some magazine and collect their payments.
This is so true. I mean, just tell us when you will release it. I get tired when people (not t-bhp) mention in articles about specs of Jimny leaked. I am like, what's so secret in that? These specs have changed more times than Salman has taken his shirt off. Give us a date and tell us it will be a hard stop launch date, that's it. I have only seen it in auto expos and Google images. I have bought a new car and I am thoroughly happy with it. No thank you, Jimny!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZT View Post
Now I'm thinking we may see 5 door Thar before we see a 5 door Jimny. The quote "Make hay while the sun shines" seems apt for Mahindra while Suzuki continues to not have a launch timeline.
Can't agree more with you. While keeping customers curious is a good way of marketing, this gimmick by Suzuki is a total dud. I am sure the release will not happen until 2022. I am sure the date will get pushed back after that anyway.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 18th May 2021 at 16:03. Reason: Merged back to back posts.
Raghu M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2021, 08:43   #597
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

- The 1.5-litre petrol unit to cater to the lower end of the spectrum in terms of pricing.
Since the 1.4 Boosterjet could be coming in the 4.3m Raize based model, it could also be given as a premium option in all the models above 4m.

But IMO, they should also tweak the 1.5 K series engine and give it a 6 speed manual transmission and TC too with >4 gears. A decent commuter engine, except the buzzy top gear on the highway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCR View Post
What I suspect Jimny to be is a 2WD Squarish SUV with a power train from Vitara Brezza.
No problemo.
As long as the power goes to the rear and there is an oil burner under the hood. Mahindra will be

That said, Maruti will have to differentiate the Jimny(Gypsy?) and Brezza. They will offer the 4wd hardware in some variants atleast as the LWB will be build only in India and wouldn't be much bother to divert some export models to the domestic market.
DicKy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2021, 09:49   #598
BHPian

This seems to be an implicit wink-wink between Mahindra and Maruti wherein there's a, "...you don't come into my turf if I won't come into yours. We stick to deisel SUVs... you stick to petrol minis..." because irrespective of trims, powertrains, etc. the Jimny is going to undercut the Thar by 1-2lac minimum and for a casual buyer as myself, a cool petrol 4x4 in that awesome Green from Maruti would be the easy pick over a Thar which doesn't even have a reverse cam or fuel cap release switch.

Half joking but would it be feasible to form a group and gather outside a Maruti factory and raise slogans, sing songs demanding the immediate launch of Jimny (door nos no bar) ? Given the circumstances this would be a valid excuse to get out of the house and go for the drive that most of us are craving.
barefeetdriver is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2021, 11:25   #599
Senior - BHPian

While I would be really excited if the Jimmy comes to India, I wouldn't be happy about a 5 door version. The 3 door is just the right size having seen it in flesh at the auto expo. A 5 door would throw the proportions out of place in my opinion. Also I doubt the 1.4 boosterjet will be considered unless they are planning to plonk that in other cars as well.
Old 23rd May 2021, 12:39   #600
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Unless they intend to use it in more cars including platform-shared ones with Toyota - I don't see this happening. And then - unless they localize the engine, it will keep the car so pricey that it will only work as a sales tactic for the Thar!
But then - we are optimists. So hope spring's eternal.
Reinhard is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks