Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 23rd May 2021, 14:42   #601
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Maruti to finally bring Jimny to India?

India-bound Suzuki Jimny could be priced well under ₹ 10 lakh ... BUT

- will be in 2WD configuration, for affordability

Suzuki Jimny for India will be offered in 2 variants:

2WD - Could be with the 1.5L engine

Maruti Suzuki is expected to offer the new five-door Jimny with the choice of 2WD as a more affordable version.

This version of the Jimny will be a more practical family car, not all potential buyers would be interested in taking it off-road and using its 4x4 capabilities to the fullest extent. The 2WD variants would also be more affordable and accessible.

The sub-4m SUVs like the Hyundai Venue, Kia Sonet, Mahindra XUV300, Ford EcoSport, overlapping its own Vitara Brezza

4WD - 1.4-litre Boosterjet motor( from the Swift Sport) which gets 48V mild-hybrid tech .

Interior changes and external look will be added changes as expected to come in the global model in 2022.

Will these offerings it will be able to garner sufficient volumes and will be inline with the speculated upcoming offerings from its rivals.

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 23rd May 2021 at 14:45.
volkman10 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2021, 15:23   #602
Distinguished - BHPian

Who will buy this 2wd Jimny over a Sonet or an ecosport?!?!

That Jimny only exists to be sold with bragging rights as a 4wd! Why do the bean counters need every single car to sell 50 million copies? Where is the pride in having one that just looks smashing and smashes all roads?!

Every single one of those old guys running Suzuki in India need to check themselves into an Alzheimer’s clinic.

God.

Last edited by Aditya : 24th August 2021 at 18:58. Reason: Toned down
Red Liner is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2021, 15:40   #603
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Which fool will buy this 2wd Jimny over a Sonet or an ecosport?!?!

That Jimny only exists to be sold with bragging rights as a 4wd! Why do the bean counters need every single car to sell 50 million copies? Where is the pride in having one that just looks smashing and smashes all roads?!
I completely agree that a 2WD Jimny is an insult to the Jimny just like a 2WD G-Wagen or Wrangler would be.

I have no clue why everyone expects every vehicle model to be a mass market, SUV shaped minivan that can do everything under the sun for them. Sadly it seems that in India, customers care more about practicality than everything else.

I mean I guess we shouldn't be surprised as it's a country where people make superbike/import motorcycle decisions based hugely on practicality over fun factor. (for a vehicle that serves no real practical purpose)

I for one think life is too short to let practicality rule every decision. Hope they don't dilute the bloodline of this car with a commuter version.
suneel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2021, 15:44   #604
MCR
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
I
- will be in 2WD configuration, for affordability

2WD - Could be with the 1.5L engine
As suspected.

The 4WD model will mostly launch after the launch of Creta/Seltos rival with a 1.4 Turbo engine.

I think MSIL feels that when people were expecting the launch of Jimny, they only meant the "body shape and Chassis" and not really the off-roading capabilities.

Its silly to expect a real enthusiast car from MSIL. They can only deliver cars with the tried and tested formula , but in different body shapes.
Old 23rd May 2021, 21:59   #605
Senior - BHPian

Seroisuly doubt the 1.4 Boosterjet is coming unless they plan to localize the engine for their Vitara/next Crossover.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raghu M View Post
This launch is a never-ending delay. I have been hearing the news since the last 5 years.
Guess they are learning how to launch cars from Toyota?

Quote:
Which fool will buy this 2wd Jimny over a Sonet or an ecosport?!?!
I'd like to think I'm not a fool and a man with decent intellect. I'd certainly buy a well-priced 2WD Jimny over a Jazz/EcoSport purely due to the chic looks. It has to be a secondary city runabout though. If the 2WD variant allows for a lower entry price, why not? I'm sure they will limit production and make customers buy the pricier variants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suneel View Post
Sadly it seems that in India, customers care more about practicality than everything else....

I for one think life is too short to let practicality rule every decision. Hope they don't dilute the bloodline of this car with a commuter version.
You'd be surprised to know how much people value practicality in the west too. People in America love their spacious SUVs/minivans and Europeans love their high-speed trains.

I know the purists are ready to have a go at Maruti. But did we scoff at the Fortuner 2.5 (previous-gen) or the 4x2? Don't all of us appreciate the extra mm of GC in a particular model? Buying a car is a big pricey affair for most Indians. Bang for the buck matters. We're a small community of enthusiasts.

Last edited by landcruiser123 : 23rd May 2021 at 22:02.
landcruiser123 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th May 2021, 07:49   #606
BHPian

For an auto company, an assembly line is an investment in which they need to make money. If one model sells very little and profit is less, and another model is fast selling and can make more profit, they are going to discontinue the low-selling low-profit model in favour of high-profit ones. Why will companies under-utilize assets? The aim of any company is to maximize profit. For a mass market manufacturer like Maruti where there is waiting period for most of their models, why will they invest in a model whose utilization is low?

For Jimny, maybe they could have just sold the export models as is domestically too. For some reason they chose not to. They are anyway producing the same model for export, utilizing that line fully. So even with just few sales, it wouldn't have mattered much. But I guess they want to make Jimny as popular as Gypsy, and see potential there now that Thar got released. So trying to modify Jimny for local audience, which then goes back to my first paragraph above
sanchari is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th May 2021, 07:57   #607
Senior - BHPian

It is unlikely for Maruti Suzuki to offer the 1.4l Booster Jet engine in India, especially for the Jimny. The car or suv is sold with a 1.5l NA engine is most International markets. To me it makes more sense and should be a cheaper to manufacture (Considering the Ciaz and many other models use the same motor) and less complicated in terms of maintenance in the long run, which is what owning a Suzuki is all about.
sandeepmohan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2021, 20:09   #608
Distinguished - BHPian

Really don’t mind a build like this. Damn.

Red Liner is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 4th June 2021, 17:06   #609
Distinguished - BHPian

Suzuki Jimny confirmed for India launch. Marketing plans being worked out. Currently it is the most sought-after segment in India.

Maruti to finally bring Jimny to India?-1.jpg

Maruti to finally bring Jimny to India?-2.jpg

Last edited by volkman10 : 4th June 2021 at 17:11.
volkman10 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 4th June 2021, 19:09   #610
Senior - BHPian

Mahindra has already made the first move with all NEW THAR, and Suzuki has a lot of catching up to do.

Jimny in its current hardtop 3 door avatar will not be a runaway success like Gypsy. It is TOO small to take on THAR!

Unless Suzuki brings in a game changer model, THAR will do donuts around Jimny for a long time before it catches up with THAR.
Old 4th June 2021, 19:23   #611
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post
Mahindra has already made the first move with all NEW THAR, and Suzuki has a lot of catching up to do.

Jimny in its current hardtop 3 door avatar will not be a runaway success like Gypsy. It is TOO small to take on THAR!

Unless Suzuki brings in a game changer model, THAR will do donuts around Jimny for a long time before it catches up with THAR.
While I agree with you, there are people like me who might prefer the smaller nimbler looking Jimny which has a lot more go than it looks. The thar for me is just way too wannabe and millennial. But that’s just me.

I don’t mind either three or 5 door. Just bring the thing to the floor damnit!
Red Liner is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 4th June 2021, 19:32   #612
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Not necessarily. There are many folks who won't touch an M&M product because its a crude product, and there are too many niggles (Notwithstanding the Team BHP Car of the year award)

However, Maruti isn't doing its loyal Indian customers justice, by taking them for granted. They do have an export line of Jimny here and Indian consumers aren't going to wait forever for them to make their mind of launching it domestically.
Lalvaz is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th June 2021, 20:17   #613
AZT
BHPian

Quote:
While I agree with you, there are people like me who might prefer the smaller nimbler looking Jimny which has a lot more go than it looks. The thar for me is just way too wannabe and millennial. But that’s just me.
Interesting point you make. Do you think the Jimny needs to undercut the Thar on price or will have enthusiast demand even at even price. I think price is the only reason Suzuki hasn't launched it here.
Old 5th June 2021, 07:15   #614
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZT View Post
Interesting point you make. Do you think the Jimny needs to undercut the Thar on price or will have enthusiast demand even at even price. I think price is the only reason Suzuki hasn't launched it here.
The Thar isn't even on my list. So I don't see the Jimny needing to undercut it. Ofcourse it would be nicer to have a cheaper Jimmy but not at the cost of the 4*4 system.

I think the personalities of the people who buy the thar vs people who want the jimny are vastly different. Ofcourse there are some who have cross shopped the thar because of the inordinate wait Maruti has put us on. I expect some of them to sell their thar and get the Jimny if it comes with all the bells and whistles.

Truth be told, i might cross shop too because this wait is killing.
Red Liner is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th June 2021, 11:57   #615
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I disagree.

The USP of Jimny/Gypsy is
a) Petrol Engine
b) Narrow width
c) Lower weight

All these come into play in the Himalayan region. There are narrow paths with a lot of switchbacks that very few vehicles can tackle easily. That is the reason for the popularity of small narrow vehicles like Omni/EECO and Alto. Thar and other diesel vehicles are just too wide and heavy.
Aroy is offline   (7) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks