Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 25th March 2021, 14:21   #1351
BHPian

re: The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62

I've completed 1000 KMs on my ZX MT Petrol City. Finished my first service. Service in Honda ASC was not good. I did an 800 KMs run on the highway. Got 19.8 KMPL average in MID. Forgot to check on full tank to full tank way.

Here is some weird thing with Honda care. If you register a complaint with Honda care they always direct it to the dealer, even if one complains that Honda portal is the issue.

I've taken HCMP for Synthetic2.0 oil while purchasing the car. The dealership is yet to provide the documentation for this. When I checked, the dealer said that Honda portal is not showing Synthetic2.0 as an option. The dealer says they have escalated to Honda. This has been going on since delivery of the vehicle, for about 20 days. Today I raised a complaint with Honda care. And lo and behold the dealership guy calls me and tells me the same story that Honda needs to update their portal.

Have any of you taken this HCMP package with Synthetic 2.0 oil? Any suggestions on contacting Honda honchos on email?

My service experience in Capital Honda.
  1. First service is all about a few checks and if required top-up of liquids. So I went to the service center bright and early at around 9:15 AM and told them that I'll wait and collect the vehicle. I'd called the service manager the day before and scheduled the service.
  2. The Service Adviser allotted explained the first service details. I started relaxing a bit. Then came the first shock. He says "Sir you only have to pay for the under body coating and anti-rust treatment only sir. All other things are free in first service". I recover and tell him that I only want the first service done and nothing else. He quietly deletes the items from his tablet and goes about the service.
  3. I'd told the SA that there is a mild rattle from the left side of the vehicle in the front passenger side. He said he will look into it and fix.
  4. I wait for a solid 3 hours. Typically, when rattle issues are reported, usually technicians immediately call for a road test to ascertain the rattle along with the customer. This did not happen at all. I did not make a big thing out of this issue as this has been reported in 5th Gen City in many places and I explained to myself that the technicians are sure of the fix that they are not calling for this test drive.
  5. The SA tells me that the service is done and calls me to discuss the bill. We sit down, and immediately he gets a call on his cell. He takes that call and moves away. Does not come back for a full 15 mins. This is the second shock to me. How can a SA without as much as telling that it will take some time just vanish? I call the service manager and explain the situation and ask him to expedite the gate pass and such so that I can be off to my home. He does the paperwork and hands it over to the SA, who by this time has finished the call.
  6. The SA calls me again, and we sit down to discuss. Then comes the third shock. The SA opens the envelope and says "please sign here sir, and we can release your vehicle." I was appalled. I ask him to explain the work done. Then comes the fourth shock. He sighs and says "The rattle in your vehicle is due to you routing the wire of your dashcam on the left side." I'd personally supervised the installation of the dashcam and the wiring was routed on the right side. I really got angry and frustrated. The SA had not even bothered to look at the vehicle and the issue I'd reported.
  7. I call the service manager and explain the situation. He apologizes and calls the technician and send me along with the technician on a road test. The Technician accepts after the road test that there is a mild rattle coming from the front cabin light enclosure. Since the staff who can fix the issue are at lunch he says that he can deliver the car only by 3 PM. My patience was low and hence ask them to deliver the car without the rattle fixed.
  8. I get the paperwork done with payment for the tyre inflator that I bought, get the gate pass and get to my car. Here comes the fifth shock. The dashcam has been positioned in a weird angle. The wiring of the dashcam which was concealed in the roofing is dangling on the dashboard. The front passenger seat is pushed all forward and folded forward. I grit my teeth, fix these problems on my own and get out of the service center.
I found that the SAs have a daily target. They get assigned about 15 vehicles a day for service. And on an average they have a target of 7000 rupees per vehicle. And hence there is no enthusiasm to take up free service vehicles and the push for unnecessary things like under body coating.

My learnings from all this:
  1. Before you go to a ASC find out about which SAs have experience, and knowledge and ask for them. If an unknown SA is assigned, simply refuse to leave the car.
  2. Get AMC. I think it is very essential. You'll be able to do to find out that unnecessary things are being added, if the bill estimate is not zero.
  3. Read the manual and familiarize about the nature of the service before heading to the service center.
Regards,
lsjey
lsjey is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 25th March 2021, 14:48   #1352
Senior - BHPian

A new video from the Flywheel Channel on the 5th Gen City.

By the way I had some doubts though minor ,which I had shared on my Thread earlier. Not reposting but sharing the link. If anyone knows about it, kindly reply.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...ml#post5027691 (Athena | My 5th-Gen Honda City Review)
TrackDay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2021, 15:16   #1353
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsjey View Post
I've completed 1000 KMs on my ZX MT Petrol City. Finished my first service. Service in Honda ASC was not good. I did an 800 KMs run on the highway. Got 19.8 KMPL average in MID. Forgot to check on full tank to full tank way.

Hey, can you elaborate on the HCMP and AMC packages? I don't have any clue regarding this nor was I ever offered this package by the dealership
Old 25th March 2021, 15:56   #1354
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoConsultant View Post
Hey, can you elaborate on the HCMP and AMC packages? I don't have any clue regarding this nor was I ever offered this package by the dealership
These AMC packages are given by your dealer and service shop. They ask you to bring the car in 3 times a year and accordingly have a range of things they to do your car while they charge you upfront for the year or 3 in advance.

Being a honda owner since last 15 years ive had experience with atleast 3-4 dealers and service shops.

1. I would recommend you take the Honda extended warranty because seldom things go wrong but when they do you have piece of mind regarding cost.

2. After warranty and extended warranty run out, i recommend you renew Honda Anytime Warranty every year without fail along with RSA because your car being AT if there is a battery fault you will need assistance and RSA helps in that. I have had the battery die on me randomly and had to call the RSA who jumped it and changed the battery the next day. I even had my AC compressor conk out on the highway and Honda Anytime Warranty helped me replace it with a new one for 0 rupees in the 5th year of ownership. AC compressor with labour and gas costing a cool 1 lac. So if i were to calculate then my yearly payment of Honda Anytime has already repaid to me itself for the next few years, who knows what else might need replacement.

3. Develop a good rapport with SA of your service shop and stick to one person. He will help you, guide you, and even remove unwarranted things from your bill when not required. Stick to one workshop. Previously if i had to replace parts they would make me pay uprfront and then i have to run behind them now that they know me they just order it for me and i pay when they install it.

AMC is not required in my opinion ive never needed it.
M00M is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th March 2021, 20:54   #1355
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoConsultant View Post
HCMP == Honda Care Maintenance Package. This is an Annual maintenance Contract. For the first 3 years or 30K KMs the cost for Synthetic 2.0 Oil based package is 15,600. This means that one does not have to pay any service costs for the AMC period or KMs whichever is early. If one does not take this package, the cost works out to around 25 - 30K. I don't have an accurate estimate. This was provided by the service manager.

I usually take this package as the costs for labor and parts for service usually keep going up. Fixing this helps in containing the overall cost.

Regards,
lsjey
lsjey is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th April 2021, 18:44   #1356
BHPian

Does anyone know the March 2021 sales figure for Honda City 2020? Also, it is possible to know the split between gen 4 and gen 5 sales numbers? I'm curious because I've not seen a single latest gen Honda City on roads yet, even though I've traveled quite a lot around Tamil Nadu in the past few months. On the contrary, I've seen plenty of Cretas (obviously), Magnites, and even Kigers!
Old 5th April 2021, 19:35   #1357
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by M00M View Post
These AMC packages are given by your dealer and service shop. They ask you to bring the car in 3 times a year and accordingly have a range of things they to do your car while they charge you upfront for the year or 3 in advance.

Being a honda owner since last 15 years ive had experience with atleast 3-4 dealers and service shops.

1. I would recommend you take the Honda extended warranty because seldom things go wrong but when they do you have piece of mind regarding cost.

2. After warranty and extended warranty run out, i recommend you renew Honda Anytime Warranty every year without fail along with RSA because your car being AT if there is a battery fault you will need assistance and RSA helps in that. I have had the battery die on me randomly and had to call the RSA who jumped it and changed the battery the next day. I even had my AC compressor conk out on the highway and Honda Anytime Warranty helped me replace it with a new one for 0 rupees in the 5th year of ownership. AC compressor with labour and gas costing a cool 1 lac. So if i were to calculate then my yearly payment of Honda Anytime has already repaid to me itself for the next few years, who knows what else might need replacement.

3. Develop a good rapport with SA of your service shop and stick to one person. He will help you, guide you, and even remove unwarranted things from your bill when not required. Stick to one workshop. Previously if i had to replace parts they would make me pay uprfront and then i have to run behind them now that they know me they just order it for me and i pay when they install it.

AMC is not required in my opinion ive never needed it.
This was very helpful! Thank you so mich
I'll keep all these points in my mind when we go ahead with the purchase of our city
911CarerraS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2021, 19:03   #1358
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Be Wild View Post
Got the spoiler, footwell lights, puddle lamps and backlit scuff plates from the showroom itself.
Zx already comes with ambient lights (footwell lights as shown on the brochure screenshot), right? What’s the difference between ambient light feature and footwell light as an accessory?
Old 13th April 2021, 22:40   #1359
BHPian

Dear BHPians,

I am writing this to get some gyaan and to decide if I need to go for the 5th gen all new Honda City V MT or a CVT.

I own a 2013 Swift Dzire VDI clocking 72K in the ODO. I am a proud owner of it and so is our family as it has been so nice to us over the last 8 years. With ageing and of course due to MSIL build quality, I am facing issues such as suspension / steering cranks which needed a replacement of bush, rods etc. Similarly the AC vent direction changing slider came off while I was trying to move it to my direction. I have maintained it well and can also understand it is ageing. Last couple of services in Bangalore costed me ~ 15K each (which is high as per the Maruthi standard). I checked with the Service Engineer in Pratham Motors, Bellandur (ORR, Bangalore) regarding the resale value and was surprised to know that the demand is growing for this diesel engine. He quoted a approx of 5 to 5.5 if I can try it on my own and a little less if it is over cars24. With this I tried over cars24 to understand its current value and it also surprised me by quoting 5.3 to 5.8 as the possible selling price. I felt like this is a good time to change the vehicle and have planned to consider all the options which a below 12 Lakhs On Road Bangalore.

I had suggested one of my friend (first time buyer) to get a Magnite top end CVT. It offers a great VFM and for first time buyers it is a promising car. I couldn't consider it as it does not look as an upgrade to me as Swift Dzire itself is as spacious and peppy as the 1.0 L Turbo engine of Nissan/Renault. Also, I wanted to get a proper sedan which will offer better comfort for a family of 5 (1 kid) who travel mostly on highways as City commute is limited to week end travels and occasional week day office trips.

I liked XL6 but my wife is completely against it and also she does not want a MSIL vehicle again. She wanted either a German or Honda. I had Skoda Rapid, VW Vento, Honda City 4th, Hyundai Verna and Honda City 5th gen in mind. Hyundai was taken off due to the above reason. Checked Rapid and Vento and it was shocking for me since it was not offering much space inside compared to my Swift Dzire. Also it is a 9 year old model. I agree that is is definitely a well built one. I was left with City 4th vs 5th and checked them. The all new city is definitely the package as it housed more safety features such as VSC, TC, HA and better space at rear, excellent driver bay etc for a premium of just 1 lakh over the 4th gen city. After stepping into the 5th gen city after parking my swift dzire, we felt like Wow, this is really a big car after entering the cabin. Couldn't TD the vehicle as it was a little late when we reached the showroom today.

I have never driven a AT in my 10+ years of driving experience. Though my budget was 12 Lakhs, I was OK to stretch to the 5th gen City V MT just because of its space, comfort, well refined engine to name a few. I am now confused if AT is a wise choice considering that my ownership will be for a minimum of 10 years. Apart from a premium of extra 1.5 lakhs, my concerns are mainly related safety and control. Being a MT guy I always feel that AT is more like allowing the machine to take decisions on your behalf. For eg., while cruising at say 120kmpl, how good can we handle in case if we need to break suddenly? With MT we have clutch + gear-down + break to handle it well. How will AT help us here?

I would like to understand from fellow BHPians who had been in my situation on decision making between MT vs AT and on transition from MT to AT to help me take a wise decision. :-)
Old 13th April 2021, 23:22   #1360
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911CarerraS View Post
This was very helpful! Thank you so mich
I'll keep all these points in my mind when we go ahead with the purchase of our city
Happy to help. Let me know if you need any more help. I dont think you can go wrong with the Honda City. I am looking keenly at the launch of hybrid City / hybrid HRV to replace my Brio. I had sold my manual City and bought Brio AT but i will now revert back to City or HRV so watching the space keenly.

I have previously owned dolphin City and Arrow City. Trouble free. Shouldnt have sold either of them but well now whats done is done i guess. Trouble free.

Last edited by M00M : 13th April 2021 at 23:23.
Old 13th April 2021, 23:43   #1361
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibulijack View Post
Zx already comes with ambient lights (footwell lights as shown on the brochure screenshot), right? What’s the difference between ambient light feature and footwell light as an accessory?
Well sir its called as the footwell lamp, and no its not oem supplied, its sold as an accessory from honda and its mentioned in the list of accessories in the brochure itself. Posting a snippet from the brochure regarding the same.
Attached Thumbnails
The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-524f04ab9bc04b4f91c67d28ab2e08ae.jpeg  

Old 14th April 2021, 01:17   #1362
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasi_raju View Post
I have never driven a AT in my 10+ years of driving experience.

Apart from a premium of extra 1.5 lakhs, my concerns are mainly related safety and control. Being a MT guy I always feel that AT is more like allowing the machine to take decisions on your behalf. For eg., while cruising at say 120kmpl, how good can we handle in case if we need to break suddenly? With MT we have clutch + gear-down + break to handle it well. How will AT help us here?

I would like to understand from fellow BHPians who had been in my situation on decision making between MT vs AT and on transition from MT to AT to help me take a wise decision. :-)
The decision on whether to take an auto or manual is entirely up to you. However there not be any worry regarding 'more' control over the car unless one is in precision driving/sports. Most of the premium cars out there regardless of the gearbox, are usually automatic. The only area where the automatic takes over is in terms of hill hold (rolling back) and similar aspects which are actually beneficial to the driver. I started with manuals and found my way into automatics. There is nothing to be concerned other than giving the left leg firm instructions to not interfere with anything and let the right leg do all the action. Once mastered it is quite easy and one will find it more easy to drive an automatic. Do test drive both the cars to get a clear picture and if your unsure, do let the sales advisor know that it is the first time your driving an automatic since he can get the car to an open space first.
TrackDay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2021, 07:16   #1363
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackDay View Post
The decision on whether to take an auto or manual is entirely up to you. However there not be any worry regarding 'more' control over the car unless one is in precision driving/sports. Most of the premium cars out there regardless of the gearbox, are usually automatic. The only area where the automatic takes over is in terms of hill hold (rolling back) and similar aspects which are actually beneficial to the driver. I started with manuals and found my way into automatics. There is nothing to be concerned other than giving the left leg firm instructions to not interfere with anything and let the right leg do all the action. Once mastered it is quite easy and one will find it more easy to drive an automatic. Do test drive both the cars to get a clear picture and if your unsure, do let the sales advisor know that it is the first time your driving an automatic since he can get the car to an open space first.

Thanks TrackDay I will TD today and shall share my experience.

I noticed a bump in the middle of the rear seat of 4th gen City yesterday in the showroom. Sat on it and felt like an odd position for the middle passenger. Did not notice it in the 5th gen (or maybe i missed it), but the rear seat pics of 5th gen looks (see pics) like a similar pattern to 4th gen. Any experience on its comfort will be very valuable.

4th Gen Rear Seat

The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-4th_gen_rear_seat.jpg

5th Gen Rear Seat

The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-5th_gen_rear_seat.jpg
Old 14th April 2021, 07:28   #1364
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Be Wild View Post
Well sir its called as the footwell lamp, and no its not oem supplied, its sold as an accessory from honda and its mentioned in the list of accessories in the brochure itself. Posting a snippet from the brochure regarding the same.
The same brochure also contains a section on ambient lighting. From what I understand, ZX comes with a default footwell lighting setup but it's a warm and subtle yellow light, as compared to the whitish accessory version. Can you please post a photo of your car's lit footwell?
Attached Thumbnails
The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-screenshot-20210412-5.29.52-pm.png  

Old 14th April 2021, 09:06   #1365
BHPian

Quote:
I am now confused if AT is a wise choice considering that my ownership will be for a minimum of 10 years.
Since you are looking at an ownership span of at least 10 years, it might be wise to go with the automatic version. The trend in the past few years has been unmistakably shifting towards increasing preference for automatics in the market. In case you wish to sell your current car after 10 years, we can expect an even greater preference for buyers then to prefer automatics.
Quote:
Apart from a premium of extra 1.5 lakhs, my concerns are mainly related safety and control. Being a MT guy I always feel that AT is more like allowing the machine to take decisions on your behalf. For eg., while cruising at say 120kmpl, how good can we handle in case if we need to break suddenly? With MT we have clutch + gear-down + break to handle it well. How will AT help us here?
I have been driving the City automatic for over 8 years now and have not felt a concern with safety with the automatic transmission. A lot boils down to anticipating and adapting to the evolving conditions on the road, and avoiding emergencies in the first place. In my perspective, in an emergency situation, it is far simpler to just hit the brake (one action), rather than having to coordinate and use the clutch, gear lever, and the brake. Our reaction times and ability to coordinate multiple actions in a panic situation are far overrated than we would admit ourselves. If you wish to, you should be able to use the paddle shifters to shift down in the City. But, I have hardly required a need for that all these years. I doubt you would go wrong with the automatic version of the City.
Cheers and all the best for your purchase!
FlashMustang is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed