Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 8th September 2020, 15:07   #181
BHPian

re: The MG Gloster, now launched at Rs 28.98 lakh

As GTO pointed out, MG will have to pull out an ultra VFM card, if they are targeting some numbers for this SUV. Recently Mr.Hormazd Sorabjee (Autocar) tweeted : G L O S T E R will add another 1000 units pm for MG !

IMHO MG will be playing another 'more car per car' card here, as the product costs are much cheaper compared to its competition as it's manufactured in China ( priced at ₹16 Lakhs for 2.0L Turbo Petrol 2WD MT) and sold as CKD here. Going through the positioning and pricing in the Australian market , I guess GLOSTER will compete with Fortuner with a Kia Carnival kind of pricing , that may start at 24.95 Lakhs Ex.showroom with just one or two variants.

Prices from Australian Market:

MG GLOSTER (LDV D90 Diesel 2.0L/8AT/4WD) : 25 Lakhs, Petrol : 19-23 Lakhs.
Skoda kodiaq 132 TSi 4x4 : 25 Lakhs.
Kia Carnival Diesel : 26-36 Lakhs.
Toyota Fortuner- 2.8L/6AT/4x4 : 29-36 Lakhs.
Ford Endeavour 3.2L/6AT/2.0L/10AT/2WD/4WD : 29-43 Lakhs.

Shocked to see the contrast in pricing of GLOSTER and Ford Endeavour in the Chinese market . GLOSTER retails at around 16-25 Lakhs where as Ford retails at around 28-36 Lakhs.Chinese manufacturers got a huge pricing advantage, for instance MG Hector petrol retails at about 7-12 Lakhs in China.

Link

Last edited by TorqueIndia : 8th September 2020 at 15:11.
TorqueIndia is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th September 2020, 15:24   #182
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Don't want to take the thread anymore off-topic, but let's not be naive here.

Harrier on-road price *leaked* to start at 16 lakhs - link

Eventually launched at approximately 14 lakhs on-road - link

2 lakhs is quite a major difference for a 12 - 16 lakh car. It's all the difference between being "overpriced" and "value-for-money".
Sorry to take the thread off-topic again but you missed the point here. We were discussing whether all the media houses which are corrupt have a deal with manufacturers to propagate higher anticipated than they actually would be just so that the actual pricing seems VFM.

In the Harrier case too, even the official Tata Motors twitter handle claimed the same 16 lakhs starting point tweet photo link and the link which you mentioned leads to an Autocar article where they predict the ex-showroom price to be 13.5 lakhs for the base variants which is about only 80k off from the launch price (unlike the 2L gap you mentioned). It was not a media house on a frenzy propagating a price tag bloated by 2 lakhs in order to fulfill a contract as you make us believe.

So we can say that this a cheap tactic by the manufacturers themselves to leak or announce such prices but painting other media houses as all corrupt and calling out to say that it was them who intentionally as a part of a deal spread and justified those higher prices so that the actual prices seem VFM seems very naive.

Last edited by Shreyas Agarwal : 8th September 2020 at 15:33.
Shreyas Agarwal is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th September 2020, 16:33   #183
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyas Agarwal View Post
You cannot call it misleading the public. If the MD of the company has publicly said that they are going to price the product around the 50 lakh mark (link), then any sane magazine or website must publish that only as the expected pricing. You cannot just say that expected pricing will be around xx lakhs just because the car won't sell otherwise.

There is no conspiracy or collusion between MG and the magazines.

MG might be misleading the public and the media about their pricing but hatching a conspiracy with the media to mislead public seems like a far fetched fantasy suitable to movies only.
Hello Shreyas,

This is a marketing tactic, one that is used by companies, politicians, movie stars and anyone in the public limelight use this. They purposefully leak some info and do something else.

Is there collusion? Sometimes yes, sometimes no. Auto magazines are notorious for rigged reviews (not sure now but definitely in the 90's and early 2000's) and I can't even blame them as they depended on auto makers for access to cars. The same issue plagues cine magazines and even video game reviews.

Nothing new or strange here, just business as usual.

I base my judgement of pricing on how Chinese companies operate, from 5g to Fighter jets to cell phones to TV's to even the Hector, price wars (as they are all backed by the state) are the norm. Could I be wrong? Maybe but this is just an educated guess.
Stribog is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th September 2020, 18:45   #184
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEF_Beasts View Post
Please don’t take any offence against my post
None taken The reason we are all at Team-BHP is because we are of similar passion.

Quote:
I am just stating the fact that other cars also have the same level of respect in the market especially the Endeavour. The sad reality is that even some Toyota dealers ask if you are a politician enquiring about the Fortuner(happened with my dad and me at a popular dealer).
Here in your own words lies the very big divide in Indian Car scene, on one hand we are the people who buy a car for our needs. And on the other hand there are people who buy a car for their wants. Sad reality especially for Fortuner is that the wants crowd outsells needs one by a long distance as evident by your own experience with dealership.

An analogy that I can give is that I am an artist and I bought an iPhone or a Mac because of it's better ecosystem and support for my Arts needs but for every one customer like me there are three more customers in Apple showroom buying it to show off the Apple logo.

If Fortuner was bought totally on it's merits then it's 4x2 variants really do not offer much over Innova top end in terms of features and Innova is probably more practical for a robust family mover purpose yet still somehow Fortuner 4x2 outsells it's 4x4 brother.

Quote:
It sells because of its reliability, brand name, low service prices, resale value, off road prowess, it’s linkage to the Innova with decently powerful engines even if not the best, ability to haul people without breaking any sweat and it’s rugged raw feel.

If Ford, MG, Mahindra, Tata, etc would provide me the same dealer experience, service quality, easy availability of spares, honesty that Toyota showcases I would be happy to sell my car and run towards these brands without battling an eyelid. Classic Eg: Ford has shut two showrooms near my house in the last 5 years.
You are an enthusiast and you buy a car for you. This is the point I was stating as to why an enthusiast will prefer Fortuner over Endeavour.
darkLightning is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2020, 21:29   #185
Senior - BHPian

Came across this, Singaporean review of the Maxus D90. They appear to be going Gaga over it, including its handling prowess.

https://www.sgcarmart.com/news/review.php?AID=1339

Also came across the zoomed in picture of the centre console. There are three buttons for the seat ventilation, can someone please explain why are there three buttons here?
Attached Thumbnails
The MG Gloster, now launched at Rs 28.98 lakh-gloster-seat-ventilation.jpg  

Last edited by 07CR : 8th September 2020 at 21:31.
Old 8th September 2020, 22:06   #186
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07CR View Post
Also came across the zoomed in picture of the centre console. There are three buttons for the seat ventilation, can someone please explain why are there three buttons here?
I am not 100% sure about this, but I feel there's both cooling and heating function for the driver seat and only either one of them for the passenger seat.

But it feels too complex to use. How's that feature is carried out in the Verna? Isn't it a bit intuitive?
Old 8th September 2020, 22:30   #187
BHPian

One button for driver seat ,one for passenger a.c ventilation and third for only fan in both seats. It is just my thinking , maybe I am wrong.
Old 8th September 2020, 22:33   #188
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07CR View Post
The ones with arrows pointing upwards are for heated seats while the one with a fan is for the ventilated seat.
ADI7YAK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2020, 07:14   #189
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
We were discussing whether all the media houses which are corrupt have a deal with manufacturers to propagate higher anticipated than they actually would be just so that the actual pricing seems VFM.
I think we should agree to disagree here, and there is only one way to settle the banter. Let's wait for the launch . If the MG Gloster is indeed launched at 40 - 45 lakhs (and sinks like the Titanic, I might add), your point is taken. If it is launched lower than that, we will agree that MG & the media wilfully misled the public.

Quote:
unlike the 2L gap you mentioned It was not a media house on a frenzy propagating a price tag bloated by 2 lakhs in order to fulfill a contract as you make us believe.
The "on-road" price difference is 2 lakhs (i.e. the difference between 14 - 16 lakhs).

If you want to stick to "ex-showroom", then do go back and check the difference between the top variant's supposedly leaked "18 lakhs" ex-showroom price and the actual launch price of "16.25". It's 1.75 lakhs of a difference again!
GTO is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th September 2020, 08:02   #190
Senior - BHPian

All the talk leading up to diwali is just strategy, setting the base for the upcoming launch, the numbers from which will then create a sense of value.

There is no way this car is going to launched in the 40-50 lakh bracket. A simple Google search will reveal that it's a rebadged Maxus D90 and it's respective pricing in other markets.

It's like what Amazon does. A product's actual price is Rs 100. The listing will show it as Rs 130, offer a 23% discount, and sell it for Rs 100. What this exercise does is that it creates a false sense of value in the eyes of the customer.

Is that legal? Yes. Is that ethical? The lines get blurred here. It's a tactic employed quite freely.
coolkurt is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th September 2020, 09:10   #191
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun Bharadwaj View Post
At the risk of sounding prejudiced, why would someone put down 50 big ones for something called "Gloster"?
MG is naming their cars after old RAF planes / marques, I guess to convince people they still retain brit DNA even after becoming "china model". Hawker Hector, Gloster Gladiator ..
hserus is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 9th September 2020, 11:26   #192
BANNED

Quote:
The thought that everyone is corrupt is simply laughable. Yes, there must definitely be some journalists who are corrupt and would do paid reviews but saying everyone is corrupt is simply plain pessimism. Not everyone is honest, not everyone is corrupt.

And no, neither do I work for MG nor do I work for any so called corrupt magazine. I am just a 17 year old guy who is not even in college yet.
The thing is many so called unbiased media houses fall exactly in between the two categories you mentioned, i.e. Not everyone is honest and not everyone is corrupt but some are little (or a lot?) of both in one. This category usually gets away with everything they do. However let's not bring debates on corruption here

Regarding the other part I think my actions were a by product of me not analysing your view correctly, I was laughing at myself for the remarks when I read about you being 17
Lowflyer23 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2020, 12:52   #193
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkurt View Post
Is that legal? Yes. Is that ethical? The lines get blurred here. It's a tactic employed quite freely.
Having worked in the Electronics retail sector for almost one year, I have seen many bigwigs using the same tactic. I don't see anything unethical in that as well. It's just a tactic to get more customers to the store.

I feel the automotive industry is new to this tactic.
07CR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2020, 13:55   #194
Distinguished - BHPian

MG Gloster spied testing in Gurugram

The MG Gloster, now launched at Rs 28.98 lakh-smartselect_20200910135154_instagram.jpg

The MG Gloster, now launched at Rs 28.98 lakh-smartselect_20200910135205_instagram.jpg

https://www.instagram.com/p/CE8P4cGg...=1qssfy72s6qxd
Venkatesh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th September 2020, 18:50   #195
Distinguished - BHPian

Facelifted Fortuner and Upcoming MG Gloster spied together!

Source:91wheels Instagram handle
Attached Thumbnails
The MG Gloster, now launched at Rs 28.98 lakh-9a558f9836994960acf80bc91db2e2e5.jpeg  

CEF_Beasts is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks