Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 21st July 2020, 09:45   #526
BHPian

Re: The BS6 Tata Harrier with 6-speed AT. EDIT: Launched @ 13.69 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
Can anyone advise on what this warning light represents?
Correct me if I am wrong, but the DPF warning comes when the regeneration process is unable to take place because the temperature doesn't reach too high due to repeated small city commutes. However, since the ODO shows only 19 KM, isn't it too early for the DPF warning? Does the warning come up at such frequent intervals or am I missing something?
Secondly, is this the case with all BSVI diesels that we need to drive it for a set distance at high RPMs for half an hour after repeated intervals for active regeneration? I am interested in the Ford's TDCi, however if this is the case, then I am not ready to lose the peace of mind.
Old 21st July 2020, 10:03   #527
BANNED

This popped in my recommendations today....no wonders what I had been binging on off late
Of the hundreds of videos praising the Harrier 2020, this one really captures the essence of them all in under 10 mins (watch 14:00 min mark onwards)....that's all you need to see.

A Request:
I request TBHP mods(?) to bring the TBHP official review for BS6 Harrier 2020 when possible. The machine truly deserves one. If someone were out to get the Harrier today & decided to refer the official TBHP review, all they would find will be the year old review which is barely relevant today.

Not assessing a vehicle when its rectified its faults & is back to stand trial would be passive criticism. Harrier 2.0 truly deserves redemption. God, I need to stop sounding like a lawyer now

I do understand the current pandemic situation today & my apologies if work on the review was/is under progress but when I see even small time Youtubers churning out reviews I get a bit desperate given the fact that more resourceful & cooperative the TBHP community is.
watchoutankit is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 21st July 2020, 10:05   #528
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SansGT View Post
Correct me if I am wrong, but the DPF warning comes when the regeneration process is unable to take place because the temperature doesn't reach too high due to repeated small city commutes.
BS6 engines will throw out this warning light every time the DPF gets choked. You either do the regeneration manually or let the car do it by itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SansGT View Post
Secondly, is this the case with all BSVI diesel that we need to drive it for a set distance at high RPMs for half an hour after repeated intervals for active regeneration?
If the car is primarily driven in the city and hardly gets to see the highway, the warning would appear frequently. Driving it on the highway at decent speeds won't choke the DPF.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2020, 10:24   #529
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
BS6 engines will throw out this warning light every time the DPF gets choked. You either do the regeneration manually or let the car do it by itself.
Is there a dedicated button for DPF regeneration present on Harrier?
I believe Innova and Fortuner provide that but lower segment cars like Creta and Seltos do not .

Last edited by manson : 21st July 2020 at 15:16. Reason: Typo.
Old 21st July 2020, 11:29   #530
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchoutankit View Post
A Request:
I request TBHP mods(?) to bring the TBHP official review for BS6 Harrier 2020 when possible. The machine truly deserves one. If someone were out to get the Harrier today & decided to refer the official TBHP review, all they would find will be the year old review which is barely relevant today.

Not assessing a vehicle when its rectified its faults & is back to stand trial would be passive criticism.
I think with the current situation we need to be patient. We will need to wait till the situation eases off a bit before expecting a review worthy of TBHP standards.
Garth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2020, 11:29   #531
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by steadfast View Post
Is there a dedicated button for DPF regeneration present on Harrier ?
I believe Innova and Fortuner provide that but lower segment cars like Creta and Seltos do not .
No Harrier doesn't have it. You have to drive it at higher RPMs (>2000 rpm) continuously for 20 mins for the regeneration to happen. This recommendation is similar to that given by Hyundai and KIA for their respective cars.
ashis89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2020, 11:35   #532
BHPian

Don’t forget to regenerate the DPF as soon as you get a warning. Otherwise the filter will get clogged up with further driving and at final stage it will damage the filter which is an expensive component. This is one of the main reasons to choose petrol engine if the driving profile is only repeated short runs.
gopi_rm is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st July 2020, 12:48   #533
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
No Harrier doesn't have it. You have to drive it at higher RPMs (>2000 rpm) continuously for 20 mins for the regeneration to happen. This recommendation is similar to that given by Hyundai and KIA for their respective cars.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gopi_rm View Post
Don’t forget to regenerate the DPF as soon as you get a warning. Otherwise the filter will get clogged up with further driving and at final stage it will damage the filter which is an expensive component. This is one of the main reasons to choose petrol engine if the driving profile is only repeated short runs.
Well in this case, I would like to include a 'Dedicated DPF Button' in the list of 'MUST HAVES" for the list of expectations for Harrier 2021 thead running on 'Harrier Official Review'.

A car which ticks all boxes but does not offer a petrol engine should definitely include a dedicated DPF button to make things convenient for (prospective) owners who are in love with Harrier but are looking for petrol options or owners who actually wanted a petrol but still went ahead with Harrier due to class leading pedigree, ride comfort, ruggedness and safety.
steadfast is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2020, 12:53   #534
BHPian

Anyone have latest deal which they got while booking BSVI Harrier? I am going for a TD this weekend in Pune and hence want to have idea beforehand.

Last edited by manson : 21st July 2020 at 15:18. Reason: Typo.
Old 21st July 2020, 13:12   #535
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveOnceMore View Post
Anyone have latest deal which they got while booking BSVI Harrier? I am going for a TD this weekend in Pune and hence want to have idea beforehand.
I hear for July - they have deals of upto 80K off on the Harrier.
For my June booking I got 30K + 5K off. In addition to that I got some 12k off due to the NCB carried forward from my previous insurance.

Last edited by manson : 21st July 2020 at 15:19. Reason: Edited typo in quote.
ihrishi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2020, 13:49   #536
BHPian

Hello..
Just checked prices of Harrier and Hector.
I don't know when, but MG seems to have jacked up the prices of Hector under the covers.
As per Carwale, Hector and Harrier costs same or rather former costs little more over later in some variants.

Still people expect that Tata needs to correct prices of Harrier

I was wondering if Tata did hike the prices of Harrier by just 10K, would that thing go as Unnoticed as this one?
May be Corona is keeping journos much occupied these days.

The BS6 Tata Harrier with 6-speed AT. EDIT: Launched @ 13.69 lakhs-capture.jpg

Source: Carwale.com
DriveOnceMore is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2020, 16:38   #537
BHPian

Looks like folks at Tata are being hyper aggressive in marketing and roping in popular (non auto enthusiast) youtubers to review the Harrier. Not sure how much of justice the reviewers are doing and who is benefitting out of this

Last edited by streetfighter : 22nd July 2020 at 16:39.
streetfighter is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2020, 17:57   #538
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetfighter View Post
Looks like folks at Tata are being hyper aggressive in marketing and roping in popular (non auto enthusiast) Youtubers to review the Harrier. Not sure how much of justice the reviewers are doing and who is benefitting out of this
Car buyers in India are not auto enthusiasts. Infact, take a look at the reach at some of the English-language auto journos in Youtube, it is not much.

If you want to reach your audience, you need to go regional and vernacular. If I were Tata, I would pick the most engaging auto channels in different langauges and send them a car to review. Because this what people search for, they want reviews in Hindi, Telegu, Malayalam; what does the car feel like on local roads, local discounts, variant break down etc.

Other than that there are loads of tech and lifestyle channels in India with sizable audiences who trust them a lot and therefore will consider their opinion. Cars these days are as much about mechanical attributes as it is about technology and when you hand these cars over popular tech reviewers, you get to maybe entice some buyers by the technology offered.

The most watched Nexon EV review in India is this Hindi one, by a smallish-ish channel and miles away from the sophistication of auto journos in terms of presentation. But it has got 2.4 million views!

Last edited by avishar : 22nd July 2020 at 18:01.
avishar is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2020, 18:04   #539
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetfighter View Post
Looks like folks at Tata are being hyper aggressive in marketing and roping in popular (non auto enthusiast) Youtubers to review the Harrier. Not sure how much of justice the reviewers are doing and who is benefitting out of this
I don't think that this review is Tata sponsored or Tata promoted. I Remember Ranjit doing a review of his Verna too a while back and like he says, just a way to make new content during lockdown, I guess.

Last edited by Candy$Cars : 22nd July 2020 at 18:06.
Candy$Cars is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2020, 14:10   #540
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvi86 View Post
The last few pages in this thread clearly sum up why the Tata Harrier is struggling in the market. It's such a challenge to get the Harrier into people's consideration list. I'm not joking - Two folks who asked for my suggestions in the last two months refused to even test drive the Harrier and ended up buying a Jeep Compass and MG Hector. I was dumb-founded when I was told they trust MG but can't trust Tata when they pay 20 Lakh Rupees for a car.

One thing is clear. The Harrier launch was rushed but the Harrier V2 on sale now with the more powerful engine, automatic transmission and better fit and finish across the board is a terrific choice for those who are looking for a competent automobile around the 20 lakh Rupee mark. Ignore this at your own peril. I'm sorry Tata has spent so much resources and time trying to get better products into a market that hardly appreciates the outcomes.
While i agree to most of the points you say, i think Tata and many other companies make the following mistakes:

There are two kinds of buyers in India. One is Herds and the other is Enthusiasts who are in minority. Herds always stick to tried and tested brands and products like Maruti Suzuki, Toyota, Hyundai, Honda and if any new player in that particular segment wants to lure the Herds it must come with full preparations at the launch itself. What happens is once the Herds turn their back to some product, parts availability, their pricing and service becomes difficult and even enthusiasts find it to be a hard decision to buy that product whether its good or not.

Case 1: Tata Harrier
Why did Tata not launch the Harrier V2 in the first place and went on launching beta version when there was so much excitement about the new Tata SUV?

Even today Tata has skipped on the 4X4 AT variant which would have made the Harrier a good success simply because currently anyone who wants a 4X4 AT diesel SUV below 30 Lakhs has only one option - Jeep Compass - and it lacks road presence for its price which majority of the people crave for in their SUVs. We know that people dont offroad much in India but when they pay big money for SUVs, they expect the features, capabilities and road presence. Thats why Fortuner/Endeavour sell in strong numbers even at 40 lakh rupees. When people have the options between a front wheel drive Harrier and rear wheel drive Innova Crysta at the same price, Herd is bound to go to Toyota and eventually Enthusiasts are forced to follow the Herd reluctantly.

Even i want to replace my 4x4 AT Koleos with a comparable product which Harrier certainly is except for that 4X4 AT option. So, obviously i wont put my money on it.
If I am not getting 4X4 AT in it, i will either -
1. stretch my budget and buy Endeavour or
2. If i am not in a position to stretch my budget, i will either buy tried and tested Innova which will provide me longevity and resale value much higher than the Harrier or settle for Compass 4X4 AT.
This is how Tata and many companies loose customers.

Case 2: Kia Seltos
Look at Seltos, Kia came with full preparation in terms of quality and options expected at that price point at the launch itself and we can see the results. Covering all the bases is important, more so for an expensive product.

Case 3: Jeep Compass
Jeep also made the same mistake. They should have priced the vehicle agessively at the launch and should have launched the AT options at the launch itself when Seltos/Hector/Harrier werent around. You simply cant sell a premium SUV without AT options. So many interested buyers bought something else Instead of this beautiful product just because of lack of diesel AT at that time. Full preparation at the launch would have covered all the bases and set the positive tone about the product in the market and herds would have preferred it over other options even today.

Case 4: Tata Nexon
This product had almost everything buyers look for in the segment at the launch itself and hence even the Herd voted positively for the product and its a good success. Even i bought one last year for my parents.

My point is that the companies dont offer the buyers what they want at the right time and then expect the buyer to spend big money on their products or their corrections thereafter which isnt reasonable and hence its not likely to happen.

Last edited by 46TheDoctor : 23rd July 2020 at 14:17.
46TheDoctor is offline   (12) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks