Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 7th May 2012, 14:43   #886
BHPian

Re: Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jignesh View Post
Hello Sam003,

I understand it would have been a painful decision to remove the Sumfilms from your Polo.

But you managed to remove the Sunfilm yourself within 30 minutes? This is quite surprising. How was the glass looking post removal of Sunfilm? I mean are any glue marks left on the glass?
Thanks,
Yes it was painful to keep yourself in direct sun that too around 12 noon .

First off all just peel off cornor will shaving blade help and gently removed it from all side glasses. I just add my son's baby shampoo in one off the spray bottle and another 2-3 inch natraj blade helped to remove remaining glue from glasses. Remember to spray enough to have friction for blade. Hope this help.
sam003 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2012, 14:44   #887
BHPian

Re: Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cents View Post
Looks like some sense prevails still. Saw this news just now.

Sun film with extra tint should be removed from cars before May 19

Especially '
Deputy Commissioner of Police, East-Traffic division, Muthanna B.A., said that cars, at the time of delivery, will have a thin film on their windows and windshields, with the permissible level of tint. “Only this is allowed,” he said. Vehicle owners, who have added tint to stock windows and windshields after purchasing their vehicles, will have to remove them, he added.

According to a statement, vehicles will be allowed to have sun films with 70 per cent visual light transmission (VLT) for front and rear windscreens, and 50 per cent VLT for side glasses, under Rule 100 of Central Motor Vehicles Rule, 1989.'
Looks like some good news.
When i got my figo from the dealer, i noticed there is some film with the Ford logo and numbers on all the side wind shields as well as the rear wind shield.

Is this allowed as per the new interpretation by the police.
In that case, i'll download a copy of this news as pdf and keep it my smartphone to show it to the cops .

My own opinion on this whole judgement is that the SC should first think of the implications before passing this kind of judgement. We are not under colonial rule or a dictatorship that you can take any kind of decisions and make most normal and honest people who follow laws into illegal by changing the definition itself.
Moreover if the police is not doing its job, give them a wrap on their knees.
Everything in India is like pass anything, the normal citizen gets inconvenienced while the VIPs will get their clearance from the ministries and have their sun films (Please remember there is a provision to get this from the ministry in this judgement).

Really illogical judgement to say the least without thinking of the inconvenience caused to people, the time wasted and moreover the money wasted where this could have been better utilized.
And finally i feel this judgement has to be challenged in the SC again.
Old 7th May 2012, 14:46   #888
BANNED

I think the SC ruling mentions dark tints and we need to interpret it technically and make a stand for retaining light tints. It is possible the SC meant that no further tinting shall be allowed for vehicles with factory manufactured tinting?

Can a traffic cop stop an outstation vehicle passing through his jurisdiction for removing tints? Say I am passing Delhi with KA registration and will be in Delhi only overnight or merely criss-crossing the city to another state or destination?

Knowing that the highest echelons of almost all our institutions are corrupted by vested International interests that want to push their various ideologies (as symptomatically seen in rabid media articles), I am tempted to think this is the influence of the feminist lobby to drive home their point in a eyeball grabbing exercise for their crimes against women? To anyone who wants to argue that an SC judge cannot be surreptitiously influenced ideologically to favor a stance in judgements, I beg to disagree.

--R

Last edited by Ragul : 7th May 2012 at 14:54.
Old 7th May 2012, 14:46   #889
BHPian

Bangalore traffic police facebook page says "Black film of any transparency not allowed". This is an SC order, no state can overrule or dilute the rule based on their interpretation.

Here is the link to complete judgement shared by bangalore police
http://www.bangaloretrafficpolice.go...intedglass.pdf

Quote:
Hello Sam003,

I understand it would have been a painful decision to remove the Sumfilms from your Polo.

But you managed to remove the Sunfilm yourself within 30 minutes? This is quite surprising. How was the glass looking post removal of Sunfilm? I mean are any glue marks left on the glass?

Hello 2cents,

This peice of news is really relieving. This means Banglore Traffic will allow Sunfilms which were earlier within legal limits. This is good news for people who have made sure to apply RTO approved sunflims on thier cars.

Thus in Banglore, only Car with dark Sunfilms need to worry, others can drive with peace of mind.

Thanks,
Old 7th May 2012, 14:47   #890
Team-BHP Support

^^ I just hope the B'lore cops have the meter to check the % visibility on tints.

I don't have any receipt/warranty card for the tints on my Corsa so no way to prove that they are indeed 70% visibility.
libranof1987 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th May 2012, 14:53   #891
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam003 View Post
First off all just peel off cornor will shaving blade help and gently removed it from all side glasses. I just add my son's baby shampoo in one off the spray bottle and another 2-3 inch natraj blade helped to remove remaining glue from glasses. Remember to spray enough to have friction for blade. Hope this help.
Thank you Sam003. That is really a great piece of advice. Paper Cutters & Baby Shampoo to remove the glue from glasses.

Did you rear glass have Defogger?, if yes how did you removed the Sunfilm from Rear Glass also?

Anyone from Delhi willing to remove the Sunfilm on thier own, above is a excellent DIY manual from Sam003.

Thanks again,
Old 7th May 2012, 14:56   #892
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion123 View Post
I guess the Delhi cops are most active as of now. Got sun film removed from wife's i20 on sat morning. Dad's car got challan'd yesterday in Delhi near ITO even though it had a very light sun film, which now became illegal w.e.f May 04, 2012. Whether the order will stay or not only time will tell, but the DTP is all out making the most of it. Really appreciate the kind of sense B'lore Traffic Police has shown and given everyone 15 days to get the sun films removed before they start ripping apart the films n collecting challans.
So, the B'lore Traffic Police has authorised a virtual stay on the SC order!
Courageous guys.
But, knowing human beings, particularly us Indians,I half suspect things in B'lore will be just where they are after 15 days.
Let see..
Old 7th May 2012, 15:00   #893
BHPian

Quote:
Did you rear glass have Defogger?, if yes how did you removed the Sunfilm from Rear Glass also?
Yes, but left it like that. Will try next week, if any glue left will going to use petrol for rear window.
Old 7th May 2012, 15:02   #894
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cents View Post
Looks like some sense prevails still. Saw this news just now.

Sun film with extra tint should be removed from cars before May 19

Especially '
Deputy Commissioner of Police, East-Traffic division, Muthanna B.A., said that cars, at the time of delivery, will have a thin film on their windows and windshields, with the permissible level of tint. “Only this is allowed,” he said. Vehicle owners, who have added tint to stock windows and windshields after purchasing their vehicles, will have to remove them, he added.

According to a statement, vehicles will be allowed to have sun films with 70 per cent visual light transmission (VLT) for front and rear windscreens, and 50 per cent VLT for side glasses, under Rule 100 of Central Motor Vehicles Rule, 1989.'
This may be an incorrect interpretation on the part of Mr. Muthanna as the Supreme Court order is clear that "films of all kind" have to be removed.
Old 7th May 2012, 15:02   #895
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalini_g View Post
My first impression with out the film is that I am driving along with a crowd
Haha, now many including me will be forced to be part of the crowd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nareshtrao View Post
p.s. Paid Rs. 500/- in total for One Civic and One i10
Rather than paying to accessary shop wala, i will wait to be caught by cops, will pay rs 100 as fine after making sure that under my supervision they completely removed the sunfilm from glasses of my car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
how many have installed sun-films for its primary purpose – i.e.; heat rejection and protection from harmful UV rays. Quite a substantial percentage might have installed these films (1) to enhance the looks or (2) got it as a freebie from the car dealer.
I am one of the crowd who put sunfilm to enhance looks.
ASHISHPALLOD is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th May 2012, 15:04   #896
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Hello Sam003,

This peice of news is really relieving. This means Banglore Traffic will allow Sunfilms which were earlier within legal limits. This is good news for people who have made sure to apply RTO approved sunflims on thier cars.

Thus in Banglore, only Car with dark Sunfilms need to worry, others can drive with peace of mind.
Not so, quoting from this article - Vehicle owners, who have added tint to stock windows and windshields after purchasing their vehicles, will have to remove them, he added.

That means all aftermarket sunfilms have to go. Their facebook page also mentioned clearly - NO sunfilms of any kind are allowed, only OEM tinted windows are allowed.
Old 7th May 2012, 15:08   #897
Senior - BHPian

Not sure if this was already posted
Film manufacturers are planning to appeal against the ban.

The head of marketing of Garware Suncontrol Film, Amit Thanekar said, “According to all State high courts, the use of sun film with 70 percent Visual Light Transmission (VLT) for the front and rear windscreens and 50 percent for the side glasses is permitted. We are planning to appeal against the Supreme Court ruling. We might collectively take a stance against it with other industry players.”

Source: Sun film banned from May 19 - News - Autocar India
Old 7th May 2012, 15:10   #898
BHPian

Slightly off topic, but is there any deadline in chennai ( just like we have 19th May as the date in BLR). I am traveling to chennai this weekend and need to decide If I can keep it on for this trip ( especially since its chennai !)
Old 7th May 2012, 15:14   #899

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASHISHPALLOD View Post

Rather than paying to accessary shop wala, i will wait to be caught by cops, will pay rs 100 as fine after making sure that under my supervision they completely removed the sunfilm from glasses of my car.
Unfortunately the cops don't take off all 4 windows plus the rear windscreen for you. They will challan you and rip off 1 of the glasses. And if you're caught again next day, pay a heftier fine. If you're caught on same day, you can show the copy of challan and tell them you're going to get it removed.

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff : Slang and SMS Language are STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP. Please type in full and proper English for the benefit of other community members.

We advise you to read the Announcements and Board Rules section before proceeding any further.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 7th May 2012 at 16:26. Reason: See note in post :)
fusion123 is offline   Received Infraction
Old 7th May 2012, 15:16   #900
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
Not sure if this was already posted
Film manufacturers are planning to appeal against the ban.

The head of marketing of Garware Suncontrol Film, Amit Thanekar said, “According to all State high courts, the use of sun film with 70 percent Visual Light Transmission (VLT) for the front and rear windscreens and 50 percent for the side glasses is permitted. We are planning to appeal against the Supreme Court ruling. We might collectively take a stance against it with other industry players.”

Source: Sun film banned from May 19 - News - Autocar India
In 1989 Motor Vechicle act never mentioned about sun-film. It says visibility, current SC order add this clause to existing motor vehicle act.

As per Rule 100 (2) of Central Motor Vehicle Rules 1989, the glass of the windscreen and rear window of motor vehicle (except tractors) should have the visual transmission of light (VTL) not less than 70 per cent. The side window minimum visibility should be 50 per cent.

This means, vehicles whose windows have the permissible visual transmission of light built by manufacturers can escape the fine. However tinted film is not allowed
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks