Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 7th May 2012, 17:29   #916
BHPian

Re: Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

People who execute crimes, will continue to have dark tints, if caught, they will pay the bribe and move on. And at the end of the day, common man will suffer.

If this law is enforced, do I need to remove front windshield film as well? which is almost transparent? (Heck I just paid 7k for that vcool) :(

How about commercial vehicles? Volvos, Buses and mini buses which have dark tints? or SC thinks crime cannot happen in these?
Old 7th May 2012, 17:34   #917
Senior - BHPian

Re: Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by throttleking View Post
People who execute crimes, will continue to have dark tints, if caught, they will pay the bribe and move on. And at the end of the day, common man will suffer.

If this law is enforced, do I need to remove front windshield film as well? which is almost transparent? (Heck I just paid 7k for that vcool) :(

How about commercial vehicles? Volvos, Buses and mini buses which have dark tints? or SC thinks crime cannot happen in these?
The front one might not be visible and once you remove the window ones, I dont think even you will be able to make out the front one. I am planning to remove the 3M marks on the front windshield and retain it.

Come on, criminals are not rich enough to come in a tinted bus
Old 7th May 2012, 17:43   #918
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
Come on, criminals are not rich enough to come in a tinted bus
Perhaps, its not a big deal for them. They can hire a mini bus and do anything, carry weapons, explosive, kidnapping, gang rape and what not? Forget about that, all of this can happen in a covered Tata 407 or even in PIGGIO Appe.

Point I am trying to highlight, as many of the other members have already highlighted is, the rule is baseless and utter stupidity.

And another point, I wont be surprised if SC calls off the rule in few days and roll back to previous rule of 70% and 50%. Such stunts have happened in past with respect to Helmet rule. When the rule is enforced, cops make lot of money, and manufactures as well. In this case cops have began to make money, and if the rule is called off, sunfilm companies will make a huge money. Remember its 150cr industry, and will not collapse over night.

Last edited by throttleking : 7th May 2012 at 17:49.
Old 7th May 2012, 17:59   #919
BHPian

How about the film on ac carriages of trains? buses? Tinted motorcycle helmets? Maybe we should all live in plate glass houses? Many crimes are committed inside houses isn't it? Why not ban knives?

On a serious note, us non-ac car owners will be greatly affected. Imagine peak summer without dark sunfilm in a Maruti 800 STD.

Last edited by reswaran : 7th May 2012 at 18:01. Reason: Hit submit before completing the post
Old 7th May 2012, 18:02   #920
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdon View Post
Hearing that sunfilm companies are going to do, but when?
If I was running a sunfilm manufacturing business, I would wait atleast 3-4 months before filing a case (giving time for atleast 75% of the people to remove the sunfilms).
Old 7th May 2012, 18:07   #921
BHPian

Is there also ban on cloth curtains, detachable sun shades (with vacuum plug), or those power operated sun blinds in luxury cars? Even it is common to see people putting newspaper and towels on windows to avoid harsh sunlight on long highway journey. There are so many other ways to reduce the visibility from outside.
Old 7th May 2012, 18:11   #922
Senior - BHPian

Dad drove the Honda City from Rohini to Sonipat & back, no one was present on the NH1 this afternoon.

PS - Guys I don't see any reason to rant and unnecessary clutter this thread. Almost everyone has posted their views on the ban, unnecessary discussions like Delhi Vs. other cities/making fun of supreme court etc will not do any good.

Please post the latest status of the drive in your city which will help us to get a clear view of situation rather than going OT. I don't want this thread to be locked by moderators!
bluevolt is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 7th May 2012, 18:11   #923
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post
If I was running a sunfilm manufacturing business, I would wait atleast 3-4 months before filing a case (giving time for atleast 75% of the people to remove the sunfilms).
I doubt any manufacturing business will take such a stand. Unless they knew well in advance (at least 2 quarters back) that such a order is to be passed, they have a major problem on their hands - they would have committed cash flows which they will not be able to meet if their sales drop to near 0, they may default on payments they need to make and have to handle staff who would still expect salaries.

Given some amount would always be under manufacture/ unsold, this will soon build up an inventory cost for them. Unless they have significant export demand, which would cover for the near collapse of the domestic market, I do not think they would want the situation they are in right now. Also, we need to keep in mind that the judicial process isnt the quickest in India.

Also, if and when the ban is lifted, people may not flock back to them, having just burnt their fingers. With the flip flop we see around us, having this judgement stayed or overturned is hardly enough reassurance to make an investment of 8k+. 3 -4 months down the line means Winter is just around the corner as well.

Film manufacturers would look at these summer months for maximum sales, banning it now would hit them harder than ever!

On a related note, is India a nett exporter of Sun Film?

Last edited by vinod332002 : 7th May 2012 at 18:15.
vinod332002 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2012, 18:13   #924
BHPian

What I don't understand is how the manufacturer provided tinted glasses different from tinted sunfilms? If curbing crime rate is the objective, then the ban should be imposed on both.
markmytravel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2012, 18:18   #925
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by markmytravel View Post
What I don't understand is how the manufacturer provided tinted glasses different from tinted sunfilms? If curbing crime rate is the objective, then the ban should be imposed on both.
All the cars come with tinted glasses. We put sunfilm on top of it. So you know the level of tint in OEM glasses. I remember Maruti 800 used to advertise one of their model as AC+TG (Air Conditioned and Tinted Glass).
radek is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2012, 18:22   #926
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by radek View Post
All the cars come with tinted glasses. We put sunfilm on top of it. So you know the level of tint in OEM glasses. I remember Maruti 800 used to advertise one of their model as AC+TG (Air Conditioned and Tinted Glass).
If I remember correctly it was "Duratuff" which used to make tinted glasses for Maruti. Not sure if company still surviving.

Even though its for new cars, how about the one on the roads. Go back and pay some amount and get your glass tinted. May be in down the line we are going to get some chemical which will tint our cars like Optical guys do.
Old 7th May 2012, 18:23   #927
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by markmytravel View Post
The assumption here is car manufacturers will adhere to 70/50% VLT norms, while sun film manufacturers will not, had they banned production of darker shades - which would've been an easier thing to do. But then you need brains to think of such solutions.
2cents is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2012, 18:39   #928
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by radek View Post
Sorry but I don't agree that all cars comes with tinted glass, at least not my Punto or previous Alto.
Old 7th May 2012, 18:48   #929
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by download2live View Post
And who is the gentleman who has filed the PIL?
There are so many bigger issues facing the country and he is concerned with the this?
This is the man: Twitter

There are quite a few PILs in the works too
vinjosep is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2012, 18:55   #930
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod332002 View Post
I doubt any manufacturing business will take such a stand. Unless they knew well in advance (at least 2 quarters back) that such a order is to be passed, they have a major problem on their hands
Yes, the manufacturers will be happier without the ban, but in most cases, I would say that it's the dealer and not the manufacturer who will take a bigger hit now.

For the manufacturer, it's simply a question of how much hit the manufacturer thinks he can take now versus the projection on the repeat business the manufacturer hopes to gain if and when the ban is lifted.

Legal process in India may be slow, but it can definitely speed up in the "right circumstances".
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks