Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd September 2020, 21:21   #31
BHPian

Re: Toyota Urban Cruiser launched at Rs. 8.40 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post

Making more changes involve engineering costs making the product more expensive. I doubt if the market will cough up more money for a car that doesnot have changes underneath.

That said I wish Toyota had put in more money and effort and bought in their own compact cars, would have fared much better.
Providing some new features doesn't need much of engineering and consequently elevated costs. Even if it did involve a cost, Toyota could have easily absorbed since it would attract customers. Now with no changes, they may not be able to sell that many volumes.

Well anyways, no point in crying over this as the product is already out. Let the customers decide the fate !
NFS2024 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2020, 22:02   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Upcoming shared products from Maruti, Toyota will have bigger differences.

I hope some serious differences are made this time around.

https://www.autocarindia.com/car-new...PtTeC0-QsqosAE
Old 23rd September 2020, 22:14   #33
BHPian

This thread reminds me of Salman Khan's movies like Dabangg3 and the ilk.

Everyone lambasts it, everyone criticizes it saying when there is talent and capability, why aren't better products made?
We all know the answer. $$$

Just like Salman Khan movies sell, no matter what, Maruti Cars sell too.
ValarMorghulis is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th September 2020, 00:05   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrongturn View Post
Maybe they will blame this on the 'education policy' now after the infamous 'we don't want you taxes' statement. Though no one should question their 'dedication' and 'commitment' towards Indian automotive sector and loyal customer base which they have conveniently milked for so long. They have a very vibrant portfolio in other countries, but Innova and Fortuner are all they have for us along with half hearted attempts like Etios/ Etios Liva and yes all of them supposedly 'over engineered' and have unparalleled 'reliability' but must be serviced at every 5k kilometers when competition offers intervals of 10k or even 15k kms in comparison.

And, now for people who used to bash the 'tin-foil' Maruti Suzuki cars, the Toyota badge will magically transform these cars into 'much safer' & 'much reliable' cars in comparison. The 'magical' lands of India continues to fascinate the western world even today (and Indians as well )
I have an Etios diesel. I have done almost 60K kms. This year its almost meagre of 1000 Kms because of COVID. 85% in City traffic and yet to change the brake pads from the time I bought. The service interval is every 6 months or 10K Kms. True, Its been super reliable with only once I changed the right side front suspension hubs that too because of chennai's pothole during the metro construction. This was also covered under warranty.
Just as a comparison (not really apples to apples, but for numbers) My previous chevy beat, I changed brake pads on an average of every 22K kms and the brake disc was changed at 35K. I had it till 75K kms and have changed so many things several times.

Last edited by Balaji31582 : 24th September 2020 at 00:10. Reason: added the warranty information
Balaji31582 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2020, 07:23   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

The Compact SUV Price Tracker:

Toyota Urban Cruiser launched at Rs. 8.40 lakh-toyotaurbancruiser.jpg

Toyota Urban Cruiser launched at Rs. 8.40 lakh-pricecomparisiontoyotaurbancruiser800px2.jpg

Link
volkman10 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 24th September 2020, 09:21   #36
Team-BHP Support

It's pretty clear that this is going to be Toyota's strategy going forwards. It's sad and disheartening to see that we will not see true blue Toyota products in the future for probably anything close to sub 25L.

This is what we should now expect from Toyota in the future. Rebranded MAruti cars or MPV/SUV for developing countries and a few niche models like the Camry and Vellfire.

As someone said, Skod/VW are putting in more effort into the Indian market than Toyota and even Honda.

Honda doesn't have anything close to Fortuner / Innova so are trying lower down the order with City and Amaze. But even they don't seem interested in India. How else do you explain the W-RV being stuck with MT options only and a lame 1.2L engine when now even Toyota is using the 1.5L.

This rebranding thing is going to continue and we have to accept it. Maruti-Toyota could have followed in the footsteps of Hyundai Kia and differentiated it the URban cruiser styling even further and revamped the interiors as well as looked at CVT options from the Toyota parts bin but it's clear they didn't even want to put that effort and just take it as is from MSIL with minimal effort and cost.

As I mentioned I won't mind recommending this to someone older and looking for a safe buy or their first car purchase. Since it is no nonsense and has the basics right.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 24th September 2020 at 09:26.
Vid6639 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 24th September 2020, 09:25   #37
BHPian

I was able to talk to one of my friend who works for Toyota in their bidadi plant. He is one of the senior engineers in the painting department.
According to him the paint job on the urban cruiser uses the same process and materials as their other Toyota cars and is of better quality.
Also the headlamps, tail lamps and a few more lighting equipment are sourced from regular Toyota vendors.

He clarified that there is absolutely no change to sheet metal and the structure from that of the Brezza.

They are using the unutilized capacity of Etios twins for manufacturing the urban cruiser.
sunilg33 is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 24th September 2020, 09:52   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunilg33 View Post
...According to him the paint job on the urban cruiser uses the same process and materials as their other Toyota cars and is of better quality.
Can you find any more info. If painting is being done at Bidadi, then assembly too happens there! Does it mean better quality checks? What else is being done at their plant for UC, and Glanza? I thought the vehicles were directly shipped to dealers from Maruti's plant.
2cents is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th September 2020, 11:16   #39
BHPian

The changes to the front have transformed the looks of the car IMO. I think this (Can't bring myself yet to say that horrendous name ) makes a sensible choice for anyone who wants to go the NA petrol way. The Ecosport is short on space and the others (Hyundai/Kia, Honda) have only tepid 1.2s to offer.

Last edited by Romeo_Mike : 24th September 2020 at 11:17.
Old 24th September 2020, 12:04   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEF_Beasts View Post
Toyota hasn't even taken efforts to change maruti bagdes to toyota on their own website; check the alloy wheels from the pre-facelift Brezza and the DDiS logo on the fender!
This. Are they even interested in making an effort ? Where is the "Kaizen"?
ashishy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th September 2020, 12:11   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cents View Post
Can you find any more info. If painting is being done at Bidadi, then assembly too happens there! Does it mean better quality checks? What else is being done at their plant for UC, and Glanza? I thought the vehicles were directly shipped to dealers from Maruti's plant.
According to him the internal process of utilizing Etios spare capacity was recently started. Wheather the current set of cars already out of production are from Maruti production plant or Toyota Bidadi plant I am not sure.
I will check with him for exact details soon.
sunilg33 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th September 2020, 12:27   #42
BHPian

I think they have spent least amount of time preparing this car for the launch. Start with the name, Urban Cruiser! Man, what’s up with Toyota? And then the variants? I’m sure that the guy who was assigned to name the variants was not paid enough for his job. Otherwise, I don’t find a reason why they would chose variants like “Mid”, “High”, “Premium”. I mean, they could’ve spent at least some more creativity into it.

Goes on to show how much they actually care about these offerings in general.

Drive Safe
R-Six
R-Six is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th September 2020, 13:07   #43
BHPian

Not sure what to say, all I can say is " All the best Toyota for your future in India ".

And for this thing Toyota is begging for "RESPECT" from everyone.

Last edited by kamilharis : 24th September 2020 at 13:11.
kamilharis is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th September 2020, 14:19   #44
BHPian

Though this is a very lame attempt from Toyota by rebranding Brezza but the front fascia makeover makes Urban Cruiser slightly better looking than Brezza.

While everyone seems to be blasting the car and its 1.5 NA engine, I think this to be a practical car for someone who wants a no nonsense reliable car with low maintenance and good service from Toyota.
And since when a NA petrol became so backward? Agreed competition is offering turbo petrols but still there are many who would prefer a smooth 1.5 NA 4 cylinder petrol over 3 cylinder 1 Ltr turbo engines. 1.5 NA petrol is definitely better to drive in the city with no turbo lag and decent power for the highway.

Hyundai/Kia's 3 cylinder turbo engines have been here for only about an year or so, we still don't know the long term reliability in Indian conditions, while Maruti's 1.5 engine has more or less bullet proof reliability. My neighbour got one of the 1st turbo petrol Venues delivered in the city about 1.5 year back, the engine clutter has increased significantly over time according to him!

Regarding the safety issue, its a 4 star rated car with 2 airbags, while the newly launched Hyundai/Kia twins have not been crash tested, the Australian Venue with 6 airbags received 4 stars, so I'm sure the Indian Venue will probably get 3 star or maybe 4.
midazolam is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th September 2020, 15:16   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrongturn View Post
On a lighter note...
Very unimpressive launch. I had expected Toyota to add some exciting features to add new lease of life into this ageing car. Sadly nothing of that sort. Just new paint colours, seat fabric and front grille.

Who named this rebadged vehicle as "Urban Cruiser"?

To draw some affinity the legendary Land Cruiser they thought? Just like Land Rover <> Range Rover?

To be fair, if Harrier was named "<something> Rover", I can still understand because it is built on Land Rover Discovery Sport's platform. Land Cruiser and Urban Cruiser has absolutely nothing in common. This fact is known by every Tom Dick and Harry in Indian market. What will Toyota achieve by naming it similar to the globally acclaimed product (which in India has almost zero presence/recall)?

Who came up with the tag line for this launch?

"Respect has arrived" - what respect? Lifting an already successful car from Suzuki deserves respect? In what sense? Forced respect may be. In another Ad campaign Toyota had this quote "It's a Toyota, what else you want?". Toyota may be thinking it is God's gift to humanity.

Brezza is a good product no doubt. But in 2020, compared to the new gen Sub-4-meter SUVs it is OLD, no diesel, no electric, no hybrid, cannot match feature to feature. Platform is old, gear boxes are old, interiors are bland. Perhaps they should've name it "Old Cruiser".

My friend took his boss' Glanza for refuelling. The fuel pump guy asked "sir you bought a new Baleno?". It will be the same story for Urban Cruiser. No idea what Toyota will gain from rebadging - they cannot stay relevant in this market by playing a side-kick to Maruti. Maruti is laughing all the way to the bank. It is Toyota whose reputation is getting eroded by these short-sighted decisions.
manjunathkl is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks