Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd November 2020, 15:51   #1
BHPian

Tata Motors takes a sly dig at the new i20

TML took a dig at the all new upcoming i20 while posting a cryptic Halloween message. From what I interpret, it refers to the i20 as a trick (given its resemblance in style to the Altroz) while mentioning that the Altroz is the real treat.

https://twitter.com/TataMotors_Cars/...04959409766402

Name:  alt.PNG
Views: 20950
Size:  659.9 KB

Hyundai responds

Hyundai was quick to provide a response to TML's tweet.

https://twitter.com/HyundaiIndia/sta...00043685404672

Tata Motors takes a sly dig at the new i20-i20_1.png

Last edited by SansGT : 2nd November 2020 at 15:59.
SansGT is offline   (60) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2020, 16:36   #2
BHPian

Re: Third-gen Hyundai i20 spotted testing in Chennai

Quote:
Originally Posted by SansGT View Post
Sad, TML is spending their resources on such cheap things rather then actually working on to improve their sales & service experience.

I think, it’s time that they realise that such nonsense won’t get them any brownie points, rather will only receive criticism.
ashvek3141 is online now   (37) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2020, 19:11   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashvek3141 View Post
Sad, TML is spending their resources on such cheap things rather then actually working on to improve their sales & service experience.

I think, it’s time that they realise that such nonsense won’t get them any brownie points, rather will only receive criticism.
Eh. It is fine. Far better than Maruti claiming that Diesel cars will lose people money and they'll take years to actually recover the extra cost.
hserus is offline   (127) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2020, 19:39   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Eh. It is fine. Far better than Maruti claiming that Diesel cars will lose people money and they'll take years to actually recover the extra cost.
Ya, but atleast they aren’t hinting at any particular manufacturer as such.
Also, Maruti has proved their mettle for all these years. They are ruling the sales charts since like ages! I know their cars aren’t the best in terms of quality & stuff; but that doesn’t stop them at anything. Inspite of those crappy anti-diesel ads, their sales figures last month were one of the best.

TML still has a long way to go. Not that they haven’t done anything for all these years; but they definitely have a distance till they catch up with Hyundai, in terms of the sales atleast!
The fact the outgoing i20 was beating the ‘new’ Altroz in terms of monthly sales in itself is a pretty good example for TML to realise where they stand. And we’re not even taking about the new i20 yet.

Last edited by BlackPearl : 4th November 2020 at 17:32. Reason: Minor typo. Thanks.
ashvek3141 is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2020, 21:18   #5
BHPian

Tata Halloween Advertisement

Tata has always been framed in a bad sense when it comes to marketing their products however, the tables might seem to turn this time with the Happy Halloween Advertisement from them.

Interestingly, this might be one of those first instances where an Indian manufacturer has mocked its competitor. Technically we have seen competitors pulling each other's leg in something similar.

https://wonderfulengineering.com/the...r-in-pictures/

It is, however, according to me, a welcome move in terms of marketing strategy. As far as timing is concerned, now the ball is in Hyundai's court, let's see how it goes ahead..!
Aish_4761 is online now   (26) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2020, 09:50   #6
Team-BHP Support

Re: Tata Motors takes a sly dig at the new i20

What the Altroz actually needed -

This was a TREAT -

Tata Motors takes a sly dig at the new i20-2020tataaltroz01.jpg

This is a TIAGO...err, hitting backspace...TRICK.

Tata Motors takes a sly dig at the new i20-2020tataaltroz01-1.jpg
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (68) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2020, 09:54   #7
BHPian

Just curious, why make an ad with an event that most Indians don't even know about? Halloween was introduced to me just a few years ago while I was abroad and I saw a few events themed around it. This was the time to bring in something related to Diwali.
Cessna182 is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2020, 10:01   #8
BHPian

That was a witty ad, Nothing wrong with it. Just shows TML's confidence at the moment.
Flash777 is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2020, 10:25   #9
Sen
BHPian

Friendly banter, I like it. Tata in the hot seat for 3rd highest volume in sales overall where Maruti and Hyundai rule the roost, they're feeling confident and it shows.

Too bad their sales reps are a bit overconfident in the fact that they think their car is already sold from the very first hello. I requested for a test drive of Nexon the other day, and they directly jumped to talking about pricing and getting me connected to their sales rep for quotes.

I laughed and said they'd have to earn it with a precursory test drive first, and then it dawned on them.

I highlighted it in the other post about the 4 millionth passenger vehicle rolled out, but Tata vehicles aren't without their own niggles and flaws.

It's a buyer's informed market, play ball!

Last edited by Sen : 3rd November 2020 at 10:37. Reason: Added some info and personal experience with sales
Sen is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2020, 10:39   #10
Team-BHP Support

This bit of online banter is witty and good. Well done Tata and Hyundai, would love to see some others join in.
Eddy is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2020, 10:45   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Would love to see the Baleno’s and Glanza’s reaction!
Old 3rd November 2020, 10:47   #12
BHPian

This ad reminds me of a video TML posted on its YouTube channel on father's daywhich took a dig at i20 , baleno as well as glanza. There was some clever wordplay there.

Last edited by aansh singhania : 3rd November 2020 at 10:48.
aansh singhania is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2020, 11:43   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cessna182 View Post
Just curious, why make an ad with an event that most Indians don't even know about? Halloween was introduced to me just a few years ago while I was abroad and I saw a few events themed around it. This was the time to bring in something related to Diwali.
May be they are targeting the youth. Since last 2-3 years, the 90s born generation has started celebrating Halloween. I guess that's why Tata made an ad with this event.
Neeraj1903 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2020, 19:01   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cessna182 View Post
It's the new "in" thing. Haven't you seen car companies in India on their websites and twitter using "gasoline" instead of petrol? General populace has also started using "gasoline", it has leaked on this site also. Use of Rupee sign or simple "rs." doesn't work, it has to be "$". We still have a long way to go to take pride in our own values, be it anything. We are the copycats who have yet not shed our slave mindset.
Sran is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2020, 19:52   #15
Senior - BHPian

It's a lot of fun, when the enthusiastic marketing teams are given a free hand. But, I do hope they have the legal teams backing them in case they veer out of line in excitement.

Nevertheless, I believe one should let the products should speak more than 'take a sly dig' marketing strategies.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks