Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which is YOUR car of 2020?
Nissan Magnite 143 7.40%
Tata Altroz 322 16.67%
Hyundai i20 17 0.88%
Hyundai Aura 4 0.21%
Kia Sonet 143 7.40%
Mahindra Thar 794 41.10%
Hyundai Creta 47 2.43%
Honda City 49 2.54%
Tata Nexon EV 295 15.27%
Volkswagen T-Roc 28 1.45%
MG ZS EV 8 0.41%
Skoda Karoq 34 1.76%
Kia Carnival 34 1.76%
MG Gloster 1 0.05%
Audi Q2 1 0.05%
BMW 2 Series Gran Coupe 8 0.41%
Range Rover Evoque 4 0.21%
Voters: 1932. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 3rd December 2020, 15:50   #16
GTO
Team-BHP Support

re: Team-BHP Car of the Year, 2020. EDIT: It's the Mahindra Thar!

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line (The "Assembly Line" Forum section) to the Indian Car Scene!

Didn't have to think too much here - this year's COTY for me is the Mahindra Thar. Not just because it is a h-u-g-e leap ahead of the Jeep it replaces, but really since it has created an all-new segment. That of a modern, safe, useable offroader that can be your daily driver + weekend toy. Few cars pull the strings to your heart the way that the Thar does. You'll enjoy looking at it, you'll enjoy driving it, and it'll fill your drives with smiles & laughter . The Thar looks deadly, has a tough body-on-frame build, is competent in 4x4 mode, comes with terrific engines + gearboxes and has a nice cabin. Only wish that Mahindra learnt to tune its suspensions better - the ride is too bumpy and its high speed manners are poor.

That 4-star GNCAP rating was the icing on the cake . No one expected an open Jeep to fare so well.

There is nothing else like the Thar in the market today. I'm putting my money where my mouth is and will be buying it in 2021-22.

Last edited by GTO : 3rd December 2020 at 15:54.
GTO is offline   (49) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2020, 15:59   #17
MCR
BHPian

Voted for Mahindra Thar. It will be my go to car for long drives and also some adventure drives. Gone are the days when it was an "Option" car. With this iteration, I feel it can be used as an everyday car.
Had a short test drive and the notorious Autorickshaws and two wheelers were not willing to cut across and were very watchful!
Best suited car for "Martian" road surfaces of Bangalore and for long drives with two adults and two kids with light Luggage.

Edit : 4 Star G-NCAP rating!!!!

Last edited by MCR : 3rd December 2020 at 16:03. Reason: Add a line
MCR is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2020, 16:01   #18
BHPian

Voted Mahindra Thar

Appreciate the effort M&M has put behind it. A sure shot candidate for COTY.
Vijin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2020, 16:04   #19
BANNED

Voted for the Mahindra Thar.
This is one epic and iconic car and Mahindra has done a great job with this new Thar. It's one perfect package with upmarket interiors and beautiful engines.
The Thar is one of the best launches I have seen in this rather gloomy year. I am crazy behind this new generation and I wish to own one very soon.
There are many reasons for me to vote for the Thar - to name a few
1) One of the best Jeeps in India and at a very good price.
2) Decently equipped and upmarket interiors.
3) What a looker this car is....brilliantly executed design.
4) Both the diesel and petrol engines are fabulous.
5) The reputation of this word 'THAR'.
6) Indestructible build quality with 4 star GNCAP crash test ratings.
All in all, Thar for me.

Last edited by Tachyonites : 3rd December 2020 at 16:05.
Tachyonites is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2020, 16:05   #20
Senior - BHPian

Shall look quite weird, but voted for Magnite.

The effort Nissan took in order to sustain despite its Indian operations literally in shambles. The courage and effort to price the product at such level is commendable. Its well known that Magnite is not crash tested, but given the fact that even Seltos, a much expensive product, barely manages to score 3/5 stars, I wont be expecting much from Magnite. For the money of Swift/Nios/I20/Baleno, Magnite offers a much more practical deal.

Altroz came close due to high safety, but its not a segment breaker as much Magnite is. Remove the lucrative pricing of Magnite and I would have given my vote to Altroz.
aaggoswami is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2020, 16:08   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

My vote for the car of the year also goes to the Mahindra Thar. The TATA Altroz and Nissan Magnite were also in contention here, but I think the Thar has come across as a very well rounded product and caught the fancy of buyers who otherwise loathed the previous generation.

The exit of the Duster AWD had created a vaccum in the 10-20L segment. Infact, there was no formidable option if you were out to shop for a 4x4 or even an AWD with less than 20L in your pocket and the Thar has managed to fill that gap very well. It has most creature comforts, has a more contemporary build and looks smashing. All in all, there is an air of desirability around the Mahindra Thar that is simply lacking in other recently launched cars. The 4 star NCAP rating for a ladder on frame is icing on the cake. Hats off to Mahindra for this especially.

The Thar obviously isn't perfect though. Cross shopping with monocoques will leave one disappointed and a few off road purists are also apprehensive about how the radiator placement is going to pan out when off roading. All said and done though, Mahindra had a fine line to straddle when it came to making the Thar easy to live with and retaining it's long standing legacy and I think they have done quite well. I do expect the sales numbers to settle down around 1500-2000 units once the initial hoopla dies down and people become aware of what it can be and what it can't.

The Altroz would have gotten my vote but unfortunately, the guys selling it don't seem to be half as keen as the guys who designed and engineered it.

- No automatic tranny available at launch

- Lethargic petrol engine

- Quality issues do exist in the form of electrical niggles and the air con acting up on some cars. The engine mount snapped off on one car on the owner's group

Last edited by vishy76 : 3rd December 2020 at 16:09.
vishy76 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2020, 16:15   #22
BHPian

I have voted for the THAR.

Its just amazing and worth the hype. And it's almost better than the wrangler . Killer price and and a amazing 4 star rating( wrangler managed just 1 in euro safety testing).The only thing I want is maybe a 4 door hard top version.

I however might have voted for the Karoq if it was 4-5 lacs cheaper.

But still HUGE respect for the Thar. It deserves it.

I also want to say that the Nissan Magnite would be my runnerup for the year just for what it offers for its price.

Last edited by Eshan Joshi : 3rd December 2020 at 16:26.
Eshan Joshi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2020, 16:16   #23
Senior - BHPian

Even though this year it is a no brainer and even though I did not vote for it we all know it is going to be the Thar. That being said the car of the year is the one for me which is the most desired one in terms of both financial aspect and pleasure. Since to own a Thar mostly would mean you will need a second car for regular drives it does not appeal to the financial side of me.

It will be the Honda City for me. The formidal opponent in the ever growing world of SUV/CUV, the City can stand and hold it's own against the likes of the "Cretos" (Creta/Selos) twins. Sadly the likes of it are a slow dying breed.

Last edited by sumeethaldankar : 3rd December 2020 at 16:18.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2020, 16:25   #24
Senior - BHPian

Voted for Mahindra Thar.

Ever since the launch it has got good attention from vehicle enthusiasts and current waiting period shows the popularity. Well priced, well built, great look and together with 4 star GNCAP rating makes it a complete package. Though Thar was not supposed to be a mainstream vehicle, looks like Thar is on the verge of becoming one

Only thing currently stopping me to book Thar is absence of rear door.

Last edited by airbus : 3rd December 2020 at 16:54. Reason: Added sentence.
airbus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2020, 16:29   #25
BHPian

Voted for the THAR!
This one came in with a lot of hype and absolutely lived up to it. A better vehicle than it's previous generation, strong petrol and diesel motors, improved ride quality and a 4* safety rating, there cannot be anything better. All this and it did not lose its USP- that LOOK and the ability to grind everything on its way!
SansGT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2020, 16:36   #26
BHPian

Voted for the Nexon EV, its the first EV which is within reach of the masses, given its pricing. Its comfortable, got a decent range and got good performance!
rahul_66 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2020, 16:37   #27
BHPian

Mahindra Thar - The new car of the year that makes you go to the showroom (virtually) and get that capable vehicle.

Second choice was, Honda City - May be one of the last new full size sedan launched in its segment! But there's still a lot of scope for improvement.

/surjaonwheelz
surjaonwheelz is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2020, 16:49   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Thar and Altroz are the most worthy contenders, but I voted for the Magnite.

A competent product at a good price. A honest try from Nissan. Moreover this is the last hope for Nissan to survive in India. Will feel bad if they have to take the Chevrolet & Fiat way. Hope the Magnite, Kicks up the market for Nissan and do what Ecosport did for Ford!

Last edited by Samba : 3rd December 2020 at 16:53.
Samba is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2020, 16:53   #29
AZT
BHPian

Gonna hold off on my vote till I get a first hand review of the Magnite. Should be between that and the Thar, both market shakers
AZT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2020, 17:02   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Voted for the Thar without doubt!

What Mahindra has done is a fantastic revival of the Thar as a brand. A Jeep need not be bare-bones and rudimentary always. It can be up-market and safe as well and that’s what the Thar has done with aplomb!

Also Mahindra has launched all combinations possible at launch itself like Hyundai and Kia. Manual Automatic, petrol diesel, soft top hard top convertible everything one can ask for, there is basically a Thar for everyone!

Last edited by CEF_Beasts : 3rd December 2020 at 17:08.
CEF_Beasts is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks