Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which is YOUR car of 2020?
Nissan Magnite 143 7.40%
Tata Altroz 322 16.67%
Hyundai i20 17 0.88%
Hyundai Aura 4 0.21%
Kia Sonet 143 7.40%
Mahindra Thar 794 41.10%
Hyundai Creta 47 2.43%
Honda City 49 2.54%
Tata Nexon EV 295 15.27%
Volkswagen T-Roc 28 1.45%
MG ZS EV 8 0.41%
Skoda Karoq 34 1.76%
Kia Carnival 34 1.76%
MG Gloster 1 0.05%
Audi Q2 1 0.05%
BMW 2 Series Gran Coupe 8 0.41%
Range Rover Evoque 4 0.21%
Voters: 1932. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 4th December 2020, 08:53   #121
Senior - BHPian

re: Team-BHP Car of the Year, 2020. EDIT: It's the Mahindra Thar!

It is between the Thar and Nexon EV for me! And I won't vote as I haven't driven the new Thar yet - I am really curious as to how is drives and rides on road. Off-road, I think it will be totally fine with whatever I can throw at it. And obviously the jewel in the crown atop the Thar is that NCAP rating.

I was honestly staggered when I took the Nexon EV for a spin - that feels like ages ago. If it was not for this thread, I might have believed it happened in 2019. And I wonder why more people aren't bringing it home.

Even if we keep the planet saving credentials and the very low cost of running/ service aside - and those are the BIG ones for a EV, the Nexon drives and rides very very well. I had a lot of fun driving it in the city. It's fast as one would expect it to be with the power coming in smooth, odorless and vibration free. There is a one Nexon EV in our apartment and I smile whenever I see it waft by when I return from my walks in the morning. I am not sure about the green plate though!

Stellar job by Tata as Nexon was not made from the ground up to be an EV - I am quite sure they have learned well from the glorious iPace. And excited to see what's in store for us from Tata in the EV pipeline.

Anyways, coming back to the agenda on this thread, it really doesn't matter which of these cars I pick. But the fact that I have to choose between a Tata and Mahindra show the progress they have made while the so called global giants are pulling us backwards.
deetjohn is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 4th December 2020, 09:16   #122
Senior - BHPian

I have not driven any of these cars yet I am casting my vote for the Magnite.
It represents a genuine attempt by a struggling manufacturer to understand the market and offer a value driven product.
I feel this will be the beginning of proper VFM cars in our market (because it is in the hottest segment) - since of late the dominant car makers had begun to be lazy in their price and quality thinking, taking the Indian customer for... (I was going to say a ride but changing it to) granted.
wilful is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th December 2020, 09:18   #123
BHPian

Under normal circumstances, I'd have voted for the Thar. I haven't driven one yet but some cars just look and feel like owning one. Thar is one such car.

But, I feel this year could be a tipping point when it comes to EVs. And one got to commend TATA here for bringing an EV with a decent range, 8 years of battery warranty to the masses without overpricing the offering. So my vote goes to Nexon EV.

--Kalyan
kalyan_hyd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2020, 09:23   #124
BHPian

I was very impressed and made up my mind with either the Thar or the Altroz due to thier impact on focus on safety as well as the disruption caused.

But being said that, they are disruptive products expected before the launch and set a new benchmark but,

I voted for the Magnite, because it has created a new line of disruption - aggressive pricing with all essential safety and comfort (must have) features at a price of "one segment below". This will lead to another shift in paradigm.
saikarthik is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th December 2020, 09:26   #125
BHPian

(unable to vote on the poll, so commenting here)

The Nexon EV might turn out to be one of the most important cars produced by an Indian manufacturer. An EV that can finally stake its claim to being competent, desirable, affordable and reliable all at the same time. If I was on the market for a car in any budget category, the Nexon EV would sit very high on my list.
Sudarshan42 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2020, 09:32   #126
Distinguished - BHPian

I can't believe I did this. I probably never will in future either. But yes - I voted for the Nexon EV.
  • Picking it over the THAR and ALTROZ - both outstanding cars - is not something that I'd have imagined.
  • I feel the car actually has a more pioneering impact on the entire car-scene.
  • Its the strongest statement yet in India that EVs are here & they are the future.
  • Nexon EV is actually bringing practically usable + safe + large EVs to our middle-class neighbourhoods. Something that no prior EV has done.
  • People are buying it - and further spreading acceptance across the people waiting on the fences.
  • While the other cars are engineering marvels - this one is one of a kind. The most unique of them all in the list of contenders.

Hence I voted for an EV. Had to concede defeat that my beloved diesel engines are cruising towards sunset & my next car in all likelihood will be an EV.
Reinhard is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 4th December 2020, 09:35   #127
BHPian

I was split between Thar, Sonnet and City.

City, my most potential buy between the three. City is back where it should be as a premium over the competition.

Sonnet is my second most potential buy. New looks, cute dimensions, upright seating position make it very sweet for my parents to be in one.

Then comes Thar. It just touches the heart. If I had money to get it, I would buy a red soft top lx one!

Voted for where the heart is!
1.2TSI7DSG is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2020, 09:56   #128
BANNED

My choice: Tata Nexon EV

Reason:
I believe the COTY awardee may not needed to be the highest selling or the most popular car of its segment. Rather, the COTY award winner must be a car that clearly shows the approach and dedication of the manufacturer to create a meaningful impact on Indian car scene.

Why Nexon EV?
There is no doubt, electric cars are the future. No doubt Nexon has its fair share of troubles and initial technological know-how challenges. Tata Motor is nowhere near to Tesla for sure.
But what I commend is their sincere approach in providing a proper EV car with-in the reach of the common middle-class car buying population of our country. Nexon EV is neither a toy car nor a car that has a multi-million rupees price tag. It is something that a regular car buyer can include in his list of choices.
PetrolRider is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th December 2020, 10:04   #129
BHPian

The THAR it is for me. The wow factor it creates blasts all other logical competition out. Plus the 4 star safety seals the deal for me.

What’s great is that the top 3 cars as they stand now are all from Indian manufacturers: Thar , Altroz and Nexon EV. Indian manufacturers have made great progress in 2020.

Last edited by charanreddy : 4th December 2020 at 10:05.
Old 4th December 2020, 10:14   #130
BHPian

I was conflicted between the Creta and Thar. The Thar has been the biggest generational improvement and made a brilliant all round REAL SUV. The Creta on the other hand is the best car in the most important segment, in the Indian car market as of today. I ended up choosing the Creta just because of the competition in the segment, and its ability to stand out. The brilliant 1.4 engine and Hyundai "peace of mind" contribute to it being the COTY 2020 imo.
Old 4th December 2020, 10:14   #131
BHPian

I have joined recently and cannot yet vote. But, if I could have, my vote would go for Nexon EV.

Tata has come up with a really good product which is very well priced but at the same time manages to style it well as well as provide a good range. I also like the 8 year warranty on the battery.

The number of cars sold may not very high and probably will be like that for a few more years at least. But, in my opinion COTY should go to a unique product which creates interest among the mass and for me Nexon EV is the one.
Almoral is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2020, 10:35   #132
BHPian

Nexon EV gets my vote. TATA has done what no other manufacturer could: decent enough battery range, good quality and well priced. Thar comes close second but Mahindra already had their basics in place from 1st generation Thar. Nexon EV is a breakthrough product and Car of the Year in my opinion.

Last edited by ast.ggn : 4th December 2020 at 10:39.
ast.ggn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2020, 10:37   #133
BHPian

Voted for Tata Nexon EV. What Nano was supposed to do to the car industry as a whole, the Nexon EV might just achieve it for EV industry. IMHO, the invisible changes that probably go back to drawing board, production planning etc. are staggering. AFAIK this is the only car that has made electric drive train as an option in addition to petrol, turbo petrol and diesel. I wouldn't be surprised if more cars follow suit - EV as just a variant and not a model as a whole.
sramanat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th December 2020, 10:38   #134
BHPian

Mind says Thar for its exceptional utility & performance

Heart says Nexon EV for introducing a proper value for money EV to India

But, my Bank account says Magnite, for its best value for money proposition and for the risk and confident Nissan,took after so much of failures both globally and domestically.

Voted for Magnite
Old 4th December 2020, 10:46   #135
BHPian

GNCAP Crash Rating: 4 I'm safe baby
Auto tranny: Check
Looks hot: Check me out
Off roading: That's my abode
Indian Manufacturer : Hell yeah

Undoubtedly, my vote goes to THAR. They say only a few cars are left with souls now- she is one among them.
headbanger is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks