Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: Which is YOUR car of 2020?
Nissan Magnite 143 7.40%
Tata Altroz 322 16.67%
Hyundai i20 17 0.88%
Hyundai Aura 4 0.21%
Kia Sonet 143 7.40%
Mahindra Thar 794 41.10%
Hyundai Creta 47 2.43%
Honda City 49 2.54%
Tata Nexon EV 295 15.27%
Volkswagen T-Roc 28 1.45%
MG ZS EV 8 0.41%
Skoda Karoq 34 1.76%
Kia Carnival 34 1.76%
MG Gloster 1 0.05%
Audi Q2 1 0.05%
BMW 2 Series Gran Coupe 8 0.41%
Range Rover Evoque 4 0.21%
Voters: 1932. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 7th December 2020, 16:19   #256
Senior - BHPian

re: Team-BHP Car of the Year, 2020. EDIT: It's the Mahindra Thar!

Voted for the Sonet and going to do so with my wallet, awaiting delivery of my diesel automatic. This is an upgrade in every way from my punto, except for brakes, that is a punto strength and a high cg SUV won't be able to replicate it, I'm OK with that compromise.
Old 7th December 2020, 16:24   #257
BHPian

Voted for Nissan Magnite as its the only VFM SUV vehicle being offered currently for aam junta. It rightly does serve the purpose with all bells and whistles at a very competitive pricing compared to Sonets, Venue and Seltos. Altroz could have hit the jackpot of TBhp COTY 2020 if the petrol engines were brilliant
alexpaul is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th December 2020, 17:46   #258
BHPian

Voted for the Thar. Been a 1st Gen Thar owner for the past 8.5 years and after having done a Test Drive of the new one I am impressed with the huge leap forward the new one by way of options, safety and convenience features. This probably will do for 4x4s popularity what Jeep did with the Wrangler in US other countries and adding 5 doors in the future will increase the adoption even more.

Nothing else in the list brings a smile on your face the same way a Thar does (both a s a driver and as a spectator) within a budget which definitely not a small one but still something that is achievable by many. Something new but still un-mistakeably classic and timeless. Forget practicality - think of having fun and just experience it.
Old 7th December 2020, 18:12   #259
BHPian

Voted for Mahindra Thar.

Reasons:

1) Thar was always one of the best off-roaders which in new avatar has become more potent in off-roading (IMO fatter tyre and 15 inch rims would be better than stock both for ride quality and off-roading).

2) The main point here is the on-road behaviour of the new Thar, which is leap years ahead than previous generations. Though i agree the behaviour is no where comparable to regular cars. But it is what it is, cross buying/ matching isn't applicable to Thar's segment.

One does not judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree..!
SportsMedicine is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2020, 19:14   #260
BHPian

Voted for Tata Altroz.

Good design & engine combo IMO. Overpriced by abit.

If there was a separate poll for EVs, I'd have voted for MGs' ZS. It has truly given what the market wants with the amazing performance & the kind of range that is practical at this stage. Chinese EV Tech is something Indian car makers should definitely emulate. Nexons' range isn't good enough IMO.
Old 7th December 2020, 19:15   #261
BHPian

Voted for the Altroz. Altroz is a great all rounder car in a affordable price segment. It's crash tested and offers practicality for many buyers.

I was confused between the Thar, City and Altroz. Each has some weaknesses.

Thar - not a proper 4/5 seater. Other than that it's too good in all aspects.

City - no crash test results, so I'm unsure of safety ratings.

Altroz - petrol engine is not as good as other petrol engines in that segment.

But again, my overall winner is the Altroz.
Old 7th December 2020, 19:23   #262
BHPian

Voted for the Thar but it wasn't a straight forward vote. It would have been Altroz if not for the ordinary engine (going by the reviews). A close second would be Magnite for the features and pricing (talking about the Turbo). As for Nissan and Magnite we'll know things only retrospectively. After a couple of years whether it will be seen as a dud or a game changing move.

Coming back to the Thar it's perhaps the only lifestyle product and quite reasonably priced. It may make people to go pick it blindly as a second car, or even entice people to perhaps up the budget and keep it as the only car albeit with some compromises.
Old 7th December 2020, 19:26   #263
pms
BHPian

Voted for Karoq

1) Awesome fit and finish, well engineered I would say.

2) Excellent DSG gear box and drive experience for a compact SUV. Sedan like drive.

3) Safety - 5 star rating on Euro NCAP, 9 airbags, Collision braking, Cornering lamps, auto dimming IRVM/ORVM, ESC/EBD...

4) Useful and apt set of features - Paddle shifts, a responsive and crisp user interface, ample storage and quality soft touch materials all around, 12 way adjustable driver seat with memory function, panoramic sunroof and the virtual cockpit like an icing on the cake.

Gives a wow feeling once you step inside. Whether its worth the price or not is a different debate but definitely its a level above the other compact SUVs in terms of interiors and drive.

Last edited by pms : 7th December 2020 at 19:29.
Old 7th December 2020, 19:37   #264
BHPian

Voted for the Mahindra Thar. The car just looks amazing and stands out from the crowd. If only I had a second parking space and a spinal cord that was 20 years younger, I would have surely bought it (or at least argued with my wife that we should buy it). A great job by Mahindra, they have made a very good car that many folks would aspire to own.

A second vote for me would be the Nexon EV. I personally feel that EVs in India are a few years away from being usable with low hassle, and am looking forward to those days.
Old 7th December 2020, 19:53   #265
BHPian

My Vote Number 666 goes to the Devil's Own Mahindra Thar!
I am very proud and happy to see Indian Manufacturer's coming in the top 3 but Thar has always been the first choice of any enthusiast.
Old 7th December 2020, 21:12   #266
Senior - BHPian

Voted for Magnite. I love its looks and the killer pricing! Hope it will give the others in the segment a run for their money!
vnabhi is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2020, 21:22   #267
BHPian

Voted for the Nexon EV. Thar was a close second followed by the Nissan Magnite.

Why the Nexon? Well, in the list, only the three mentioned above were really revolutionary rather than evolutionary.

Nexon EV - for bringing EVs closer to the masses than all the other offerings. While it still is expensive, but overall a well rounded practical package that allows the common man to think of upgrading to an EV. While I am a biased petrol head, a practical EV makes more environment sense for city commutes.

Thar - for the superb upgrade offered to the occasional adventurer. While NCAP ratings were a pleasant surprise, even with niggles (Mahindra trait), happy to see a manufacturer take a leap of faith here.

Magnite - for the sheer VFM it seems to offer. While early days for long term ownership, the newest kid on the block has indeed tried to throw the gauntlet in the ring.
Old 7th December 2020, 21:26   #268
Distinguished - BHPian

Thought about this long and hard. It was a toss up between two Indian brand products, both of which are path breakers in their own right. Yes, one between the Mahindra Thar and the Tata Nexon EV. And yes, I ended picking the Thar.

With the Thar, Mahindra has genuinely squared a circle - brought out a car that lives up to the heritage of the original Willys Jeep, but is reasonable refined, has a good automatic, a petrol option, and best of all - a 4 Star crash test rating. 2500 dispatches to dealers for a Niche product is nothing to sneeze at, even in the first month for the car. In short, the Thar is everything that people can ask for from an Indian brand trying to carve a niche for itself in the hyper competitive auto industry.

I evaluated the Nexon EV as well - and do think it is a creditable effort. But the Thar probably will attract a broader customer base and hence my vote went for it.

BTW, please ignore the vote for the Carnival in the poll - it was cast without due authority.
Hayek is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2020, 21:54   #269
BHPian

Voted for Thar due to the sheer uniqueness of the product, attention to detail and overall outcome of a well packaged and we'll priced vehicle.

Happy to see that so far top 3 votes have gone to Indian Cars (Thar, Altroz & Nexon EV)
Old 7th December 2020, 22:24   #270
BHPian

Votes eyes closed to the Altroz.

It had all that I was looking for in a car but TATA was only teasing us all with only images. I wanted to buy it desperately within a deadline [Sept 2019] purely for ease of ingress/egress for senior members in our family and its looks. Had a hunch it would be as good as Nexon in its safety rating. NO OTHER brand was considered apart from TATA and VW/Skoda only due to my perception towards their build quality. VW was given a pass due to lack of features compared to Skoda, TATA was still not ready with Altroz and Nexon was too high for getting and out. Altroz, to me, was like a Nexon lowered from the factory and had set my heart and mind on the diesel variant. Nothing else regarding the Altroz mattered to me. Finally with a heavy heart, settled for a Skoda Rapid 1.6.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed