Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which is YOUR car of 2020?
Nissan Magnite 143 7.40%
Tata Altroz 322 16.67%
Hyundai i20 17 0.88%
Hyundai Aura 4 0.21%
Kia Sonet 143 7.40%
Mahindra Thar 794 41.10%
Hyundai Creta 47 2.43%
Honda City 49 2.54%
Tata Nexon EV 295 15.27%
Volkswagen T-Roc 28 1.45%
MG ZS EV 8 0.41%
Skoda Karoq 34 1.76%
Kia Carnival 34 1.76%
MG Gloster 1 0.05%
Audi Q2 1 0.05%
BMW 2 Series Gran Coupe 8 0.41%
Range Rover Evoque 4 0.21%
Voters: 1932. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 7th December 2020, 14:17   #241
J4J
BHPian

re: Team-BHP Car of the Year, 2020. EDIT: It's the Mahindra Thar!

Voted for Nexon EV.

Following were my top contenders and the reasons for not voting for them:
  • I think Tata made a very bold move in creating an affordable EV in our country. A very clean car, good looks and hopefully a good built car (assuming EV body is same as the ICE ones)
  • Thar. This is good however I feel the facelift came in too late. This should have happened a few years back.
  • Sonet. But looking at its crash test performance, it doesn't deserve to be on the top.
J4J is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th December 2020, 14:32   #242
Senior - BHPian

Mahindra Thar all way! It's the most desirable car for me across all the segments that have vehicles in the same price range.
Old 7th December 2020, 14:36   #243
BHPian

I chose Honda City as this is one of the most consistently performing car. The most refined engine in the petrol category. Honda is also known for its world class service and lies next to Suzuki's service. Even though the downside is that I have gone through reviews which says that this City is equipped with the new BS6 engine, which lacks in the power delivery and punch the earlier generation had.
Old 7th December 2020, 14:41   #244
BHPian

Chose the Thar because of its implications for the Indian automobile ecosystem. Building a homegrown vehicle for something other than fuel economy. Daring to build a vehicle for enthusiasts at scale. I may not ever buy a Thar. But oh boy am I excited for other manufacturers to seek inspiration!

On a side note - at least at the time of my voting the Q2 is at 0 votes and that made me laugh out loud.
Old 7th December 2020, 14:42   #245
BHPian

Voted: Nexon EV

Class-leading safety
Performance-oriented
Laden with features
Superb Pricing
EV colours look fab

Fantastic overall value with a strong emphasis on safety and performance speaks volumes of their renewed philosophy
pannags is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th December 2020, 14:43   #246
BHPian

I'm sitting confused for few days , it's a tough choice between Mahindra Thar and Nexon EV !
Altroz was another strong contender , had a short visit to the Tata showroom and came impressed with the design , built quality and packaging ! But dropping it from COTY shortlist since the show was run by the manual powertrains alone , come with all guns blazing and sweep the show is the new normal, just like Thar & Koreans.

Thar is an impressive package with all box ticking except practicality, everyone want to squeeze a Thar in their garage right now, it's that aspirational. It's one of the best show by Mahindra in the recent years .

Nexon EV - not based on a fresh model but it's been turned to be a pivot in the Industry with practicality & technology, sales zooming past 2,000 units in 10 months .

So which car impressed , excited and surprised me the most in 2020 ? It's the Nexon EV !

I request mods to have separate option for the Electric COTY as we will have more cars in the coming years , and they are made with lot of additional efforts than an ICE car especially in today's scenario.

Last edited by TorqueIndia : 7th December 2020 at 14:51.
TorqueIndia is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th December 2020, 14:47   #247
BHPian

I am actually short of words after watching Mahindra Thar is leading by far to any other car on the platform like Team-BHP.
Straight lift off & copying is being encouraged by elite group of Indian car lovers is not heartening to see.
Anyway, to each his own. Voted for Tata Nexon-EV as I think this is the future technology one has to live with.
speedguy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th December 2020, 14:49   #248
BHPian

My vote goes out to the THAR because it is a great effort from Mahindra that too for a segment which is not mainstream.

From the Jeep like looks to the 4-star NCAP rating Mahindra has shown that it is able to understand the buyer's preferences.

Also, the booking numbers indicate it to be a runaway success. I think it must be the first time or after quite a while that Mahindra has got more bookings for a car than its planned production capacity with the waiting period not running into a few weeks but a few months.

Last edited by sv97 : 7th December 2020 at 14:53.
Old 7th December 2020, 14:49   #249
Distinguished - BHPian

Voted for Thar.

Practicality, waiting period, cost aside, this is one car which has got maximum interest in recent years.

I guess this should easily be the most talked about car since Tata Nano launch more than a decade earlier.
mpksuhas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th December 2020, 15:02   #250
BHPian

Voted for the Thar.

The reason it got my vote is because it has caused a behavioural change in me without having to try too hard. Allow me to explain,

I fall in love with refined, well-engineered cars (read European) and after owning the GT TSi have never felt the need to drool at anything else. It offers all the car I would ever need right now.

The Thar should ideally not appeal to both my heart and mind since it has rough edges all over and is still in no way a compelling driving package. But, there is something about the Thar that screams out this – Mahindra has poured its heart into the Thar and it shows! It is something very special yet not completely out of reach.

If I had spare money lying around and in no need of another car, I would put it on the Thar.
Old 7th December 2020, 15:03   #251
Senior - BHPian

Sachin Tendulkar is arguably the most popular Indian cricketer ever. But many of his fans aren't quite true cricket aficianados. They just watch him because it's Sachin, be it an elderly woman, a kid or an youngster etc. He has had some charm and charisma beyond his cricketing abilities. I guess the new Thar is the same. Not everyone who likes it aren't quite hard core off roaders or Jeep lovers but they just love Thar. I'm certainly one in that category.

But this car has kind of ignited off-roading thoughts in my mind like nothing else has. Hoping to get a pre worshipped one couple of years down the line. No other car in recent times has caught everyone's imagination. There's something in Thar that turns heads across all age category, petrol heads or otherwise.

Needless to say, where did I cast my vote

Last edited by Bibendum90949 : 7th December 2020 at 15:07.
Bibendum90949 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2020, 15:13   #252
BHPian

I have voted for Honda City. I am not a fan of Honda city but considering lockdown times and given the challenging environment for a typical indian household, this seems a practical choice. I also prefer a sedan over SUV as its shape gives it better dynamics than an SUV at higher speeds.

It's a well established, time tested and fantastic product having proved itself over the years. The lower variants are reasonably priced. Gem of an petrol engine.

So overall a safe choice and peace of mind!
Old 7th December 2020, 15:26   #253
BHPian

Voted for Nissan Magnite. It has got almost everything that the Korean sub 4m crossovers have got, but at a significantly lesser price point. I like Thar, but it will have very little effect in its market segment. Magnite, on the other hand, has the potential to disrupt the market segment. Hope, it does.
ashlil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2020, 15:38   #254
BHPian

Voted for Mahindra Thar

Never have we seen a car so much improved from one generation to next. Kudos to Mahindra for that. The Crash rating is definitely an icing on the cake as well.

Below is snapshot of the last 11 Team-bhp COTY cars, runner up cars and their vote share. Some Observations/Trivia:

1) First the sad news. We are a 65K strong community (Members) out of which around 15K are currently active, which is around 23%. But the highest we have voted is last year, around 2751 which is just 18%. Our voting percentage is abysmal. Even worse than parliamentary elections! I am very amused as to why people don't vote here. Its just one click of button. Mods even send out mail notification as well as message notification. Most manufacturers often show-off their Team-BHP COTY award proudly and its our duty as enthusiasts and car lovers that our opinions are counted. Kindly vote petrolheads!.

2) Among the current manufacturers selling in India, Datsun, MG, Nissan, Toyota and Skoda have never won or been a runner up.

3) Among those in the list, TATA has been winner/runner up 5 times, while Ford and Hyundai have done it thrice.

4) Kudos to TATA for capturing the hearts of our community. Barring 2018 when they did not have any new launch, they have been either winner or runner up right from 2016.This year they have two cars fighting out with Nissan for the second spot. Amazing turnaround for TATA and as rightly said so many times by many, Tiago indeed has been their turning point.

5) Market leader Maruti has never won Team-bhp COTY. They have been runner up just once although they were never close to win that year.

6) It is very sad that Toyota, world's biggest manufacturer doesn't find place in top 2 positions in the last 11 years. Looks like they won't be there this year as well. This after giving two blockbuster products generation after generation.

7) Honda Amaze is the only car which has been in top 2 for both the generations that they introduced in India.

8) The craze created by XUV500 in our community has been unprecedented and phenomenal. The total votes for that year tripled when compared to the previous year and XUV won with a record margin and has held on to that record till date (Seltos got more votes than XUV500 but could not better the winning margin). Looks like only a Mahindra can beat their own record if at all it is possible.
Attached Thumbnails
Team-BHP Car of the Year, 2020. EDIT: It's the Mahindra Thar!-coty.jpg  

RaghuVis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2020, 16:10   #255
BHPian

For car of the year I chose Honda City. While from a price perspective, it is not expensive, it is also aspirational for a large part of the Indian middle class.

This year's Honda City has the executive presence of a premium car, rides well as a family car and continues raise the bar in the C Segment.

Moreover in today's world that is moving to SUVs the City continues to keep the Sedan flag flying.

Hence my vote.

Last edited by Nimz : 7th December 2020 at 16:12.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks