Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which is YOUR car of 2020?
Nissan Magnite 143 7.40%
Tata Altroz 322 16.67%
Hyundai i20 17 0.88%
Hyundai Aura 4 0.21%
Kia Sonet 143 7.40%
Mahindra Thar 794 41.10%
Hyundai Creta 47 2.43%
Honda City 49 2.54%
Tata Nexon EV 295 15.27%
Volkswagen T-Roc 28 1.45%
MG ZS EV 8 0.41%
Skoda Karoq 34 1.76%
Kia Carnival 34 1.76%
MG Gloster 1 0.05%
Audi Q2 1 0.05%
BMW 2 Series Gran Coupe 8 0.41%
Range Rover Evoque 4 0.21%
Voters: 1932. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 4th December 2020, 22:24   #196
BHPian

re: Team-BHP Car of the Year, 2020. EDIT: It's the Mahindra Thar!

Voted for Mahindra Thar 2020 without a doubt!
Thar is definitely a game changer in the Indian automobile industry. A capable All rounder SUV by an Indian manufacturer. I am planning to book diesel automatic model soon.
Old 4th December 2020, 23:37   #197

Just an observation with the results so far, Tata (Altroz and Nexon EV combined) is ~30% and Mahindra Thar ~43%, totalling to about 75%...really happy to see this outcome.

Few years back, you would have been trolled if you would have said that Indian car manufacturers barring Maruti would command such a bias

Shows that at the end if your product is good and you offer value (and safety), you are bound to succeed.
anm_delhi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th December 2020, 00:13   #198
BHPian

Voted for the Mahindra Thar! The Thar has always been a coveted vehicle which I aspired to own for years now. The present version is definitely a revolution in the automotive industry in itself considering that the practical inhibitions and viability issues of the 1st generation has been sorted to a lot extent which is also evident from its desirability quotient since its launch. I may own one in the near future but would definitely wait and closely watch from the fence for the time being.
Old 5th December 2020, 00:56   #199
BHPian

While I'm not surprised Mahindra Thar has been voted as the COTY 2020, I'm a bit surprised on the low number of votes for Hyundai Creta. I believe Creta in its current avatar is the perfect family crossover which makes a comfortable city ride and doubles up as a nice cruiser. A perfect car for office use and the annual vacation I must say. If I was in the market today for a small SUV or a large cross over (whichever way you look at it) - I'd definitely go for Creta. My vote goes to Creta hands down!

Last edited by tictactoe : 5th December 2020 at 00:57.
tictactoe is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th December 2020, 01:12   #200
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Kia Sonet : [

What you'll like:

What you won't:

• Rear seat legroom is just adequate, while its limited width makes the Sonet a 4-seater
• Top variants are pricey! More expensive than its sibling, the Hyundai Venue too
• Some misses ( 60:40 rear seat split, auto wipers, steering reach adjustment, illuminated window buttons, full-size spare tyre on top trims…)
• Dual-clutch ATs (like the Petrol DCT) have a history of poor reliability in India
• As always with Kia, the variant spread is tough to figure out. Good luck finding your perfect Sonet!
• The tasty 1.0L turbo-petrol doesn’t come with a manual gearbox. Venue has that option
• Waiting periods are already a couple of months long for some trims

Market Response: A smash-hit from the start. Last month, it was the best-selling Compact SUV in India.
Hi GTO, can you please add safety ratings (GNCAP) and fact that Seltos’ bodyshell and footwell were rated unstable, not capable of withstanding further loadings in cons
Gurgaon_lyon is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th December 2020, 02:30   #201
BHPian

I had voted for the Sonet. It is 85-90% of Seltos / Creta at 60% of the price! Among the automatic compact SUVs, it offers the most bang for my money. Also, thanks to KIA, we now know that Diesel engines can be paired with a torque converter. Before Seltos / Sonet, I was under the impression that a Diesel can only be paired to a manual and AMTs!

The Thar seems to be the unequivocal choice among the BHPians. But to me, it a great second car in the household, not a daily driver, IMHO. That's why it didn't get my vote.

I'm surprised by the lack of action from Maruti this year. Hyundai has launched facelifts left, right, and center. However, Maruti has nothing new to show this year. Surprisingly, even after the great showing by Tata and Koreans recently, Maruti's stock has hit an 11-months high in BSE so what do I know!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurgaon_lyon View Post
Hi GTO, can you please add safety ratings (GNCAP) and fact that Seltos’ bodyshell and footwell were rated unstable, not capable of withstanding further loadings in cons
The quoted post is about Sonet. Not sure why we would need to mention Seltos' structures and safety ratings here. We may suggest adding the fact that Sonet is not yet rated by any agency

Last edited by 7000plusrpm : 5th December 2020 at 02:35.
7000plusrpm is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th December 2020, 02:38   #202
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by anm_delhi View Post
with the results so far, Tata (Altroz and Nexon EV combined) is ~30% and Mahindra Thar ~43%, totalling to about 75%...

Indian car manufacturers barring Maruti would command such a bias
Was about to mention these amazing stats myself. Indian car companies getting ~75% of votes (even after the Koreans coming all guns blazing) is really great to see.

By the way, Maruti-Suzuki is not an Indian company in any real sense. It is a subsidiary of Suzuki-Japan(parent-org) and it is as Japanese as it gets(like Indian subsidiaries of Toyota & Honda). The CEO(& MD) too is a Japanese person, Kenichi Ayukawa. They removed M(Maruti) from their logo in India long time back and have same logo as Suzuki global/Japan.
Napalm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2020, 03:09   #203
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7000plusrpm View Post
The quoted post is about Sonet. Not sure why we would need to mention Seltos' structures and safety ratings here. We may suggest adding the fact that Sonet is not yet rated by any agency
Sorry, I'm not your next door brand hater, But if a company/design team gaves 20 Lakh unsafe car , I can't expect it's half priced design to do any better . IMHO it should be mentioned.

I guess it's time we Indian start valuing our and our kids lives more than those sunroofs or wireless phone charger.
Gurgaon_lyon is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 5th December 2020, 09:51   #204
BHPian

It is time to spin the wheels of the future—the Tata Nexon EV.
It has given the country a taste of the future, with the above-average build quality comparable to other competitors and not just its siblings, space, sorted ride quality, fair range (city & short trips). Long trips are not too long in the future, with many companies and the Govt making fast-charging stations popup on the highways.

The Thar, Yes, it is a massive jump compared but only to its previous gen. It is M&M's laziness in the past, which they are playing catch up. What about the alternate competition from the compact SUV, SUV categories? It is closing the gap. Is it a good SUV? Hell yeah, is this the future? Nope, for me, it is looking at the past.
ashpalio is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2020, 10:08   #205
Senior - BHPian

Its not a question of design evolution , its a question of value- the Thar in its present form brings a lot of value as an affordable true offroader with the Safety rating as a feather in the crown. To do that kind of offroading you would have to spend a bit more on an unwieldy Isuzu pickup or spend nearly thrice on a Fortuner/ Endeavour.

Last edited by fhdowntheline : 5th December 2020 at 10:11.
Old 5th December 2020, 11:18   #206
BHPian

I voted for the Honda City as I believe the importance of three point seat belts for all passengers must be driven home. Tired of watching lap belts in a car in 2020!

I totally appreciate the Mahindra Thar leading the pack as well. A commendable job by Mahindra in ensuring that the vehicle is safe for the consumers.

Had it not been for the lack of 3 point seat belts for the rear middle passenger, I would have voted for the Tata Altroz.
aveoman19 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th December 2020, 11:36   #207
BHPian

Votes for Honda City: appeals for a larger base of Indian population. Plus had a super fun 400km odd road trip in my Dad’s new HC, and it seemed a breeze (except for the lack of lumbar support, and patchy HU). Totally worth it. Cheers!

On a side note, Audi Q2 has ZERO votes - glad T-Roc has those 7 votes. Consolidation seems to be the name of the game these days - no more going for brand name alone — value for money is the need of the hour.

Last edited by TokyoDrifter : 5th December 2020 at 11:37.
TokyoDrifter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2020, 13:03   #208
BHPian

Voted for Mahindra Thar, never believed that I would be voting for Mahindra car as Car of the year, but that's how good the new Mahindra Thar is!

It looks clearly a segment above on roads, has that unmistakable road presence and Mahindra has plonked perfect engines this time around. Interiors though not best in the class are still miles ahead off older Thar and if I did not already have SUVs in garage I would have surely bought it with my eyes closed and would have been glad to commit to such an awesome emotional purchase!

Mahindra Thar you deserve to be the Team-BHP's Car of the year 2020!
Old 5th December 2020, 18:54   #209
Senior - BHPian

Voted for the Nexon EV. The dinosaur juice powered Nexon is anyways a good package and the EV version is a step in the right direction with an eye on the future.
Mortis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2020, 21:05   #210
Senior - BHPian

Voted Thar. without any doubts.

Had first gen in my family and loved it regardless of whatever shortcomings it possessed. Sold it after driving almost 120,000 kms.

From the day it was unveiled, this new iteration has touched my heart strings unlike anything; but I was surprised when even my better half drooled over it and said we should buy this

Thar is again going to be a family member, if not in 2021 then 2022.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks