Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 28th January 2021, 09:08   #226
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Ghaziabad
Posts: 107
Thanked: 258 Times
Default Re: Jeep Compass Facelift unveiled

Well, the forum agrees with me or not. But Jeep has picked up the right price strategy here from a business sense..

Jeep has decided to go for higher profits per car and they have a right reason to do so. With Harrier's entry many potential customers moved to Harrier and the ones who are still passionate about Jeep, will stretch for Compass. So why not earn higher profits per car when customers are already not buying much at previous lower prices. So makes a business sense though a recipe for further emptying customers wallet and losing some of them.

Last edited by steadfast : 28th January 2021 at 09:09.
steadfast is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th January 2021, 09:10   #227
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 74
Thanked: 90 Times
Default Re: Jeep Compass Facelift unveiled

OTR prices in Mumbai! As if the ex-showroom prices weren't already bad enough, the insurance is adding insult to injury!
Jeep Compass Facelift unveiled-otrmumbai.jpg
scarezebra is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th January 2021, 09:11   #228
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Location: BENGALURU
Posts: 41
Thanked: 52 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (4)
Default Re: Jeep Compass Facelift unveiled

Jeep is indeed legendary with these prices. Will not be a surprise if few years down the line Compass meets the fate of Punto/Linea.

Compared to Sport, Korean twins/Tata twins (soon to be) appears VFM and Endy seems VFM compared to S.
bullitt1 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th January 2021, 09:23   #229
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 269
Thanked: 100 Times
Default Re: Jeep Compass Facelift unveiled

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarezebra View Post
OTR prices in Mumbai! As if the ex-showroom prices weren't already bad enough, the insurance is adding insult to injury!
Attachment 2114354
Sorely disappointed with the pricing. The Model S is asking for a clean 2 lakh premium over the underlying longitude variant is a bit too much to swallow for what appears to be little incremental additions over the longitudes kit which already seems decent.

If anything, I feel Jeep just served the likes of Tata/Hyundai a bit more space to play around on a platter.

I think we'll see the new Safari offer much more real estate and comfort easily and probably still be cheaper than the new JC mid/upper trims.

The pricing is really shocking, IMHO

Edit: btw what is document support charges? 20,000! On the Bangalore prices, this was 10,000 for logistical charges?? If I'm not mistaken, I think we all know that this was put an end to under the "handling charges"/miscellaneous wasn't it?? 20,000 for documents is what exactly?

Last edited by Vandit : 28th January 2021 at 09:27. Reason: Pricing notes
Vandit is offline  
Old 28th January 2021, 09:32   #230
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 74
Thanked: 90 Times
Default Re: Jeep Compass Facelift unveiled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandit View Post

Edit: btw what is document support charges? 20,000! On the Bangalore prices, this was 10,000 for logistical charges?? If I'm not mistaken, I think we all know that this was put an end to under the "handling charges"/miscellaneous wasn't it?? 20,000 for documents is what exactly?
It was called 'HANDLING AND DOC CHARGES' last year. I guess they removed the word HANDLING from the column to avoid pushback. But 20K for a vague charge seems really shady!
scarezebra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2021, 09:41   #231
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 269
Thanked: 100 Times
Default Re: Jeep Compass Facelift unveiled

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarezebra View Post
It was called 'HANDLING AND DOC CHARGES' last year. I guess they removed the word HANDLING from the column to avoid pushback. But 20K for a vague charge seems really shady!
But these can still be challenged can they be not? At least informed buyers will be able to question the brand of these charges by the dealers right?

Also, on the insurance part, agreed they look a lot higher and one would probably be best looking for a separate direct quote other than what the dealer is offering. But again, perhaps inflated to allow more room to "negotiate" or squeeze in margins for "offers" or discounts??

For comparison, an acquaintance of mine said he paid approx 70,000 on insurance for his Harrier XZA purchased in Dec'20 XZA+ Camo.
Vandit is offline  
Old 28th January 2021, 10:06   #232
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 110
Thanked: 148 Times
Default Re: Jeep Compass Facelift unveiled

This thread was bookmarked in my Chrome and now I am deleting the bookmark

I am looking to replace my 5 year old Polo GT TSI and Jeep & Kushaq/Taigun were the contenders. I was hopeful that if Jeep was priced right then I will not have to wait till mid year to buy a new car. For me automatic is a must and I believe diesel is the better suited engine for Jeep. But with OTR price of 33.65 and 36.16 lakhs for Limited(O) & S corporate registration in Mumbai, it is a deal breaker.

My company has a very lucrative company car lease policy. My realised ROI on current Polo was -8% (yes negative) even when accounting for higher corporate registration charges at the time of purchase. For the same reason, I was planning to replace my mint condition Polo GT. But looking at the way cars are being priced, I am not sure if I should replace my car as even with a negative ROI, I still incur the capital cost and depreciation. Also, I re-read the thread on mid life crisis of car Link (Your car's midlife crisis - How to rejuvenate your existing car and save a lot of money) and realised that I should own my GT for longer. I have just started the 6th year warranty and a 7th year extended warranty is possible which would last till Oct 2022.

Given the price hike by Hyundai and price increase in Fortuner and Jeep facelift, I have a feeling that Kushaq/Taigun would be priced much higher than Creta. Brands are getting more and more confident in charging a premium. As is, a worthy FTD replacement of Polo GT is very difficult and now comes the super inflated prices. What a disappointing start to my car search
manish84 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2021, 10:34   #233
BHPian
 
navaneeth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: BLR/PNQ/COK
Posts: 105
Thanked: 701 Times
Default Re: Jeep Compass Facelift unveiled

This might be an unpopular opinion on this thread.

Limited Plus variant was being sold in Kerala for 32.25 lacs on-road, the new Limited (o) variant have all the features of the previous Limited Plus variant and is being sold for 33.70 lacs on-road ( both are prices for 4x4 AT variants and the amount quoted by the dealer in Sep 2020 and Jan 2021 respectively).

Now the difference in on-road price is about 1.50 lacs. Most of the manufacturers announced a price hike in January ( Example: prices of Skoda cars were hiked 2.5% ). If we assume Jeep also followed the price-hike pattern and hiked the prices by let's say 2% ( of 25.15 lacs ex-showroom price ), there will be a hike of around 53k, with taxes, cess, etc, it will be around 64k. Now the difference is 90k and it seems fair considering the changes to interiors. The counter-argument will be that the Compass was already overpriced, but the other option in the market is Tucson and it's similarly priced with less desirability factor.

Model S (the one I selected ) is a totally new variant ( or should I say a Halo variant ? ) with features that are good to have can absolutely be lived without.

This is the explanation/justification I came up with to justify my own decision to go ahead with Jeep Compass. Hope my calculations are not too dumb that I will regret it later .

Last edited by navaneeth : 28th January 2021 at 10:58.
navaneeth is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 28th January 2021, 10:39   #234
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 74
Thanked: 90 Times
Default Re: Jeep Compass Facelift unveiled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandit View Post
But these can still be challenged can they be not? At least informed buyers will be able to question the brand of these charges by the dealers right?

Also, on the insurance part, agreed they look a lot higher and one would probably be best looking for a separate direct quote other than what the dealer is offering. But again, perhaps inflated to allow more room to "negotiate" or squeeze in margins for "offers" or discounts??

For comparison, an acquaintance of mine said he paid approx 70,000 on insurance for his Harrier XZA purchased in Dec'20 XZA+ Camo.
Yes. The charges can be challenged for sure. Taking a few photo copies here and there should not cost anyone 20K!
I can already imagine their script. On negotiation they might shave off the DOC charges first and then about the insurance they might first remove Zero Dep and include insurance without Zero Dep.. When further prodded and informed that Zero Dep outside costs less than 80K there might be some further reduction to match the price (or maybe not).
scarezebra is offline  
Old 28th January 2021, 10:45   #235
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Pune
Posts: 196
Thanked: 865 Times
Default Re: Jeep Compass Facelift unveiled

So I think Jeep is in a quandary here with the Compass. They've designed the car with the American audience as their primary customer. Hence, towing capacity, off-road systems, safety specs, interior quality, suspension/driving dynamics etc are way beyond what the Indian market needs/wants/understands. Also, the American customer does not equate price with the size of the car as rigidly as the Indian one.

Either they go the Honda way and water-down/degrade their global products to meet Indian cost/feature requirements. We all know how that has gone for Honda.

The other option is to keep the product technically sound and true to Jeep values. If the Indian customer sees value in it then great. If not, then no loss. It is not like the Jeep brand is staying afloat due to the Indian customer.
yd_gli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2021, 10:45   #236
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 74
Thanked: 90 Times
Default Re: Jeep Compass Facelift unveiled

Quote:
Originally Posted by navaneeth View Post
This might be an unpopular opinion on this thread.

Limited Plus variant was being sold in Kerala for 32.25 lacs on-road, the new Limited (o) variant have all the features of the previous Limited Plus variant and is being sold for 33.70 lacs on-road ( both are prices for 4x4 AT variants and the amount quoted by the dealer in Sep 2020 and Jan 2021 respectively).

Now the difference in on-road price is about 1.50 lacs. Most of the manufacturers announced a price hike in January ( Example: prices of Skoda cars were hiked 2.5% ). If we assume Jeep also followed the price-hike pattern and hiked the prices by let's say 2% ( of 25.15 lacs ex-showroom price ), there will be a hike of around 53k, with taxes, cess, etc, it will be around 64k. Now the difference is 90k and it seems fair considering the changes to interiors. The counter-argument will be that the Compass was already overpriced, but the other option in the market is Tucson and it's similarly priced with less desirability factor.

Model is a totally new variant ( or should I say a Halo variant ? ) with features that are good to have can absolutely be lived without.

This is the explanation/justification I came up with to justify my own decision to go ahead with Jeep Compass. Hope my calculations are not too dumb that I will regret it later .
Hahaha.. I can totally get it man! Once the mind is set there is no turning back! Even I have been finding innovative ways to justify the cost to myself since the price reveal. I am planning to go for the petrol Model S variant so some extra justification needed.
scarezebra is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th January 2021, 10:50   #237
BHPian
 
The Riddler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Mangalore
Posts: 64
Thanked: 203 Times
Default Re: Jeep Compass Facelift unveiled

Quote:
Originally Posted by TourqeHead View Post
P.S : This happens to be my first post, Big thanks to all you here for your valuable insights and contributions. This platform is real treasure trove when it comes to any thing about Cars.
Welcome to T-BHP! What a first post

I'm in the same boat as you. My first car was a 2011 Punto MJD 90HP. Absolutely love it and always thought Jeep Compass would be a natural upgrade. Even though FCA does not have a FASS in my city, thought I'd go ahead with Compass. I did not mind driving down 240kms annually to the nearest FASS in the past 4 years. The pricing has pushed me away from Jeep for good.

Have almost decided to go for the Tata Harrier. Still feel Jeep is a Jeep but definitely not worth the money they are asking for.

Will drive around in the Harrier and enjoy the better auto gearbox for a few years before upgrading to a Bimmer .

Last edited by aah78 : 29th January 2021 at 03:28. Reason: Quote trimmed.
The Riddler is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th January 2021, 10:57   #238
BHPian
 
northstar*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 77
Thanked: 285 Times
Default Re: Jeep Compass Facelift unveiled

Got Trivandrum on-road pricing from the dealer.

Jeep Compass Facelift unveiled-whatsapp-image-20210127-2.37.26-pm.jpeg

I wanted to have Compass as my next car. But the pricing is way ahead of my budget
northstar* is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th January 2021, 11:11   #239
BHPian
 
Harsha89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Coimbatore
Posts: 54
Thanked: 106 Times
Default Re: Jeep Compass Facelift unveiled

Quote:
Originally Posted by navaneeth View Post
This is the explanation/justification I came up with to justify my own decision to go ahead with Jeep Compass. Hope my calculations are not too dumb that I will regret it later .
Congratulations. I myself have booked JC S-Variant AT in Galaxy Blue. VFM depends on the buyer as I've already said. On this context, the S-Variant is shooting for the BMW X1, Volvo XC40 and GLA with its pricing as well as features on offer. Mechanically the Compass is just as good as the others I've mentioned.

Last edited by aah78 : 29th January 2021 at 03:29. Reason: Quote trimmed.
Harsha89 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th January 2021, 11:17   #240
BHPian
 
fast&curious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: Gurugram
Posts: 67
Thanked: 156 Times
Default Re: Jeep Compass Facelift unveiled

Quote:
Originally Posted by steadfast View Post
Well, the forum agrees with me or not. But Jeep has picked up the right price strategy here from a business sense..

Jeep has decided to go for higher profits per car and they have a right reason to do so. With Harrier's entry many potential customers moved to Harrier and the ones who are still passionate about Jeep, will stretch for Compass. So why not earn higher profits per car when customers are already not buying much at previous lower prices. So makes a business sense though a recipe for further emptying customers wallet and losing some of them.
I absolutely agree. Jeep cannot afford to dilute such a legendary brand. If they start competing with Tata or the Korean siblings, the iconic brand will suffer in the long run. Therefore going after high paying but passionate consumers for higher margins in a low volume game makes sense as opposed to going after volumes and killing the brand.
fast&curious is online now   (5) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright 2000 - 2021, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks