Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 14th January 2021, 16:35   #91
Senior - BHPian

Re: Jeep Compass Facelift unveiled

Jeep Compass facelift will be launched in India on January 27 and prices will be revealed, expect the deliveries to commence as well.

Jeep Compass Facelift unveiled-20210114_163028.jpg

Source
Venkatesh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th January 2021, 16:58   #92
BHPian

Before the end of January, we will have TATA Safari and Jeep Compass in showrooms. If priced right, I think Safari will be a threat to the existence of Compass. Will it be a good idea to still consider Compass if Safari poses serious competition and the sales figures of Compass falls further?
navaneeth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2021, 17:11   #93
BHPian

Just got this message from my dealer.
Jeep Compass Facelift unveiled-db732cfc1f3c4845b1a88d75faf60754.jpeg
scarezebra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2021, 18:30   #94
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
Jeep Compass facelift will be launched in India on January 27 and prices will be revealed, expect the deliveries to commence as well.

Attachment 2108291

Source
Safari and compass will compete head to head, guess they are waiting to see how tata prices the safari, and based on that they can make final adjustments, if they really want to compete. If not, well i see a lot of compass customers might be tempted to pick the new safari.
Old 14th January 2021, 21:23   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyas_H View Post
I think if you are used to the DSG, you will be let down by either of the automatics on the Jeep..

I too intend to do detailed test drives and hoping to finalize and get a new car by May/June this year !
Thanks for your reply. Looks like we are in the same boat then. I'm just hoping there's no more surprises for me on the income/cashflow part before I make a choice. Keep me posted on your test drives and what other cars/SUV you have in mind?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT145 View Post
Coming to gearbox mating, since you drive a GT TSI, a short test ride on Jeep Compass is more than enough to understand the difference between the two setups. VAG DSG is a benchmark, anyone who has driven one of those may not like the setup in Jeep Compass. I have a GT TSI, for me, Compass DCT setup is not fun-oriented as a VAG DSG, the gearbox sometimes get confused and will search for the correct gear. So far I have done two test drives on Jeep Compass petrol, and the last one I have fully driven in tiptronic and felt much better. When it comes to diesel variants, a good example is how Tata mated the auto in the same engine, it's butter smooth shifting when comparing to Jeep Compass.
Thanks for this! I now have a fairly good idea of what to expect before I go for a test drive with the Jeep. Though I expect Jeep should have taken steps to address this issue if they are aware of it, perhaps mitigate it to the extent they can with this particular combination. It's a shame Tata managed to do a better job with that powe-rplant simply with the attention to detail they invested on choosing the right combinations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anoop cheeran View Post
As many have opined here, one 'learn' to use the accelerator in the DCT and soon I stopped noticing this lag. However I can say it is no spring chicken. Sudden acceleration especially in lower rpm does makes the gears go a bit confused till it settles in. Did a 1000 km highway run recently and did not feel a lack of power in tricky overtake situations or through steep inclines in ghat sections. For me, am no drag racer, so vehicle never felt underpowered, can say. Also it is a calm, steady cruiser for sure on highways with good ride quality. Regarding reliability, am part of all sorts of Jeep forums - in India the issues are always about the stock battery dying off after couple of years, often suddenly. If one makes peace with this and change battery after two years or be a bit carefullth checks (instrument cluster does provide the battery situation), assume it can be easily tided over. The other issue I have read is about ABS sensors. Other than this two, I have not come across major issues in forums or personally (touchwood) so far. In India, FCA uses the time tested Fiat engines and that is a big differentiator w.r.t global complaints on engine etc, I guess.
Thanks for sharing your experience and the insight of the most common issues. The point about the ghats was important. I usually end up doing 2/3 Bombay - Goa runs a year and the ghat sections are unavoidable. In a way this brought up a very interesting point for me and quite frankly this thought didn't enter my mind. The last thing you'd want is an automatic going kaput on the ghats! Total nightmare!

Quote:
Originally Posted by achyutaghosh View Post
Hi Vandit, the fact that they are retaining the engine gearbox combo in India denotes their confidence on the suitability of the product. The 2 liter diesel atleast is the new premium national diesel engine after all, and the JC turbo petrol is one of the earliest turbo petrols in the Indian SUV space. There has rarely been any engine/gearbox failures reported.

If you talk to users, they will likely confirm that there are no engine gearbox issues as such. Yes, both the gearboxes are not the fastest shifting ones like the VW DSGs, and both the engines may not be the best around, but they do their job just fine. Both the manuals may suit a zesty driver better than the relaxed automatics.

The turbo surge in the petrol comes in a bit late, so at low speeds you feel a lag, but this is something you learn and with some adjustments to your driving style, this issue is also circumvented. The diesel may sound a bit gruff but is torquey indeed. Both are reasonably fuel efficient if driven carefully.

Fundamentally, the Compass is a very sorted car with driving dynamics that compare well with a segment above. The facelift just increases the desirability quotient in the eyes of those who felt it lacked features.
Thanks for replying. Yes the update has definitely added a lot more style and flair and dare I say, should have actually been done in the 1st gen itself! It's now probably much more of a value proposition as far as the interior and kit specs go. Thanks for the reassurance on the engine - gearbox combo too! I think I will have to test drive both the petrol and the diesel to decide as well as see what the competition bring to the table.
Old 14th January 2021, 21:58   #96
BHPian

Doesn't the current version also have an Alpine audio system?
Old 14th January 2021, 22:02   #97
BHPian

Found this on YouTube. It's from the event that Jeep hosted for existing Jeep owners.

navaneeth is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th January 2021, 08:55   #98
BHPian

Why are pillars and top of the Compass in grey color? Read in a post earlier and saw in this video as well. If that is the case with all colors then it would would look quite odd. Could this be for real?

Jeep Compass Facelift unveiled-compass.png

I have a 2015 Polo GT TSI and looking to upgrade to a 20-30 OTR car in mid 2021. Really looking forward to the launch of Compass and Kushaq/Taigun. I hope one of these 3 ticks all the checkboxes. Hyundai, Tata and Maruti are out of consideration and if only Toyota & Honda had an SUV in this price rage

Last edited by vb-saan : 15th January 2021 at 11:56. Reason: typo
Old 15th January 2021, 09:30   #99
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navaneeth View Post
Found this on YouTube. It's from the event that Jeep hosted for existing Jeep owners.
One key takeaway from this video is that all variants will have LED lights. That definitely is a big plus for the base variant.
amitg79 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th January 2021, 13:20   #100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandit View Post
Keep me posted on your test drives and what other cars/SUV you have in mind?
As of now my consideration set is -
  • New Compass
  • Tata Harrier
  • Skoda Kushaq
  • VW Taigun
  • Skoda Octavia

While the Harrier is brilliant, it's a tad too large for my liking - daily commute and parking it in my spot will be a bit of a challenge everyday. I also really don't need a Diesel because running is expected to be low.

All the others are new launches and Octavia is the only Sedan I'm willing to consider as of now! Will test drive the Jeep soon and wait for others to launch before taking a call.

For the Compass, I'm planning to take a long test drive of the Petrol automatic and then decide. I hope they don't price the top end way beyond the current Limited Plus.
Shreyas_H is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th January 2021, 23:46   #101
BHPian

Can't they do a better job in hiding the front camera ? It takes away all the beauty of 7 slat grill
Old 18th January 2021, 00:56   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyas_H View Post
As of now my consideration set is -
  • New Compass
  • Tata Harrier
  • Skoda Kushaq
  • VW Taigun
  • Skoda Octavia
I've pretty much shortlisted it to New Compass vs Octavia. Harrier is a wonderful product but family needs time warming up to a Tata.

I also have the same fears on pricing of the New Compass - at 21.95, the top petrol auto already feels crazy expensive. The updated model will be 3-5% more IMHO with no discounts initially!
reppy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th January 2021, 08:50   #103
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reppy View Post
I've pretty much shortlisted it to New Compass vs Octavia.
It was Octavia vs Compass vs Fortuner for me. I was hoping all three will be launched in January 2021 but Skoda pushed the Octavia launch to Q2 ( I think initial plan was to launch in October 2020 ) and Toyota surprised me with a huge hike on ex-showroom price of the new Fortuner. Compass sounds like the best option for me considering the budget and that I don’t want to upgrade to Tucson from Elantra. Hope Jeep won’t price the new Compass unreasonably higher.
navaneeth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2021, 12:42   #104
BHPian

Looks very exciting especially the interiors and the additional features. Any idea on changes to the dimensions especially interior space at the back? I went through all the news items but could not find any information if Jeep has made adjustments to interior space.
Old 18th January 2021, 13:33   #105
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pk1972 View Post
Looks very exciting especially the interiors and the additional features. Any idea on changes to the dimensions especially interior space at the back? I went through all the news items but could not find any information if Jeep has made adjustments to interior space.
Don't think any such changes have been made or would definitely have been mentioned in reveal since that is a pain point that many have had with the compass.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks