Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th March 2021, 19:39   #1
Team-BHP Support

Procedure of renewing vehicle registration at the 15-year mark | It's easier than you think

How to renew your vehicle registration at the 15-year mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sreesh1009 View Post
Hey guys, I know a 2005 Hyundai Santro Petrol. The car has clocked 119k kms. It's approaching it's 15th year this December. I wanted to know if it's worth getting it's Fitness done or should I sell it and buy a new car. We're open to both options, wanted some advice before deciding.

PS: The car is mechanically sound and has very minute issues. It is primarily used by my mom.

Thank you (in advance).
I read some posts where BHPians were apprehensive about their car's 15th birthday coming up and hence, thought of writing this thread. Is the process really that painful? The answer is NO. DON'T worry or think of selling your beloved car. It is not half as complicated or tedious as it sounds. In fact, if you have your documents in place & the car is in decent shape, it is actually a very simple process.

The Government of India requires you to renew the registration of your old car after obtaining a fitness certificate for it. While the original RC is valid for 15 years, subsequent renewals have to be done very 5 years.

GTO's 1997 Mahindra Classic needed its Registration Certificate renewed some years ago. Because it is registered in Nasik, the vehicle had to be driven to the city. The process cannot be done remotely.

We ensured that the vehicle was in excellent shape, be it the body, mechanicals or electricals. We then hired an agent as GTO isn't a DIY guy at all. The original RC, insurance, PUC, pencil print of the chassis / engine numbers, copy of the owner's id proof and PAN card were sent to him. He filled out the Form 25 (attached to this post) & kept the document set ready. Guess Aadhar card might need to be added today (it wasn't then).

Procedure of renewing vehicle registration at the 15-year mark | It's easier than you think-1.jpg

The agent gave us a date for the re-registration of the vehicle and since GTO was occupied with other matters, I took the car to the Nasik RTO to have it passed. Important to note = it was not necessary for the registered owner to be present himself. The RTO officer inspected the vehicle very carefully for faults and took a print of the chassis number. This was done by placing an A4 size paper on the portion where the chassis number was engraved and using a pencil to print it out on the paper.

As the Jeep is in good shape, there was no problem found. After the documents were duly signed and stamped by the inspecting officer, our agent paid the necessary charges and on obtaining the receipt, I drove back to Mumbai. While the official renewal fee is just 600 bucks, you can expect the RTO to add various charges, fees & levies (registration charge despite one-time tax paid, green tax etc. etc.). Time taken? In total, I spent about 4 hours at the RTO.

About a month later, the renewed Registration Certificate was sent by registered post to the address mentioned on the old RC. Due to the infamous fake address racket, the RTO came up with this method of verifying that the address actually exists.

The new Registration Certificate:
Procedure of renewing vehicle registration at the 15-year mark | It's easier than you think-2.jpg

IMHO, it was not a tedious process at all. If things are organised properly, it will take just a handful of hours to get the RC renewed. A tiny price to pay if you want to keep your existing car for longer, or are planning to buy a 15-year old example. Better to get the renewal done promptly, else you are driving the car illegally on Indian roads. Any insurance claims (including 3rd party) will also be outright rejected if your RC has expired, thus making you directly liable for 3rd-party damages.

Below are some useful BHPian posts from other discussions that have been copied to this thread.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Form 25.pdf (46.9 KB, 1296 views)

Last edited by GTO : 17th March 2021 at 19:49.
Aditya is offline   (63) Thanks
Old 17th March 2021, 19:40   #2
BHPian

Sharing my experience of renewing FC for 2005 Zen at KA-03 RTO. Also, you can use it as a to-do guide for KA-03, specifically and RTO in general.

Things to do at home

1) Xerox and keep your RC, insurance and pollution with you, just in case. As once you submit these in RTO, they will give you a receipt which should work for all traffic stoppages for the time it takes to get the new RC but you never know, so keep a copy.
2) Fill form 25. download from parivahan website
3) Pencil your chassis number onto this form, at the bottom
4) buy an green document envelope from post office and address it to yourself with appropriate stamps. you can buy this near RTO as well
5) if address has changed, fill form 33. Download from website. Aadhaar is accepted as address proof doc. for other accepted docs, look at parivahan website
6) Keep car reasonable clean
7) Get a file and put your name, address, car #, reason for submitting file and phone number on the file. You can buy a file from near RTO as well

Things to do at RTO
1) put your head down and head straight to cash counter for FC. don't ask any other question to anyone as people will mislead you, possible on purpose
2) You first need to go to a counter where they will check if you have all the documents in place. They will also write how much cash to be paid at cash counter. This is counter 7 on second floor of Ka 03
3) Pay at counter 3/4/5
4) Park car in queue behind the RTO, outside the compound. You will see a queue of mostly rickshaws already in this queue.
5) Inspectors come at 1130 AM or so. Queue starts moving rather quickly.
6) They made me open the bonnet, cross check chassis number, walked around the car. That's it. Signed the doc
7) Go and meet one Babu at ground floor, where they do license test, in the ground behind RTO, but inside the compound. He will place a stamp, then make you sign a register
8) Go back to inspectors and they will sign the file
9) Now go to counter 7 again, where they will check if you did everything as prescribed. If yes, they will sign
10) Go to counter 1, submit file. They will give you a receipt which acts as proof of document being in RTO.

Run home. OR drive back. you get the point

Tip: Go there at 11:30 am or so. Then you can get done in 45 mins. Else if you go at 10 am, you will still have to wait till 1130 for inspector to come.

Last edited by GTO : 17th March 2021 at 19:41. Reason: Copying post to new thread
ak916 is offline   (30) Thanks
Old 17th March 2021, 19:41   #3
BHPian

Sharing my experience of renewing my 2005 Octavia yesterday at KA51 RTO.

First thing to note - anybody having any RTO work, this is the best time to do it. No crowd no agents even on a saturday. The officials there were glad that I brought in some work.

Steps:
1. Go to parivahan.gov.in , select Vehicle registration services, key in your car regn number.

2. Navigate and select Renewal of Registration.

3. There are optional items at the top of this page that you can select if you want, like address change, Name change etc. Nothing to fill up otherwise, except for payment options. I opted for offline payment as I was not sure if the applications are accepted or not in the office. Once can opt for online too. Both are hassle free. Selecting any will get you the filled up Form 25.

4. Gather the Form 25 printout, PUC and Insurance copies, Original RC card put in a transparent plastic packet, a self addressed postal envelope, a file cover to carry and submit all these.

5. Tip: Highlight/underline the insurance validity dates for the clerk to pick it up easily.

6. Tip 2: Write "RC Renewal" and your car regn number in big bold letters in file cover. It helps to easily locate your file and understand its purpose.

7. Tip 3: It does not matter if the address in RC card and your actual postal address is different. No one checks for it.

8. Go to room No. 5 who deals with non transport vehicles.

9. The clerk there will check if the application is in order and write down the amount to be paid (if not paid online already).

10. Pay the amount at cash counter.

11. Go back to same clerk at room no. 5, he will sign and ask you to go to basement for inspection.

12. The inspector in the basement told me to go outside the complex, near the shops, where another inspector is actually doing the inspections.

13. Inspector outside did the inspection, asking me to put on the headlights.

14. He mentioned about not having HSRP. He was standing near his own car about to leave after my inspection was complete. I saw his own car didn't have HSRP.

15. He signed on my form and left but before that asked his assistants to get the pencil imprint of my chassis number into my application form.

16. The assistants did the pencil imprint and asked me to go back to the inspector at the basement. Here he thoroughly checked all the papers and written down the important items in the form, like insurance validity, RC validity, PUC validity. Then gave his sign and seal.

17. Go to room no. 3 where the computer operator makes an entry for the application for Smart card.

18. Go back to a different clerk in room no. 5 who will accept the application and issue an acknowledgement.

19. That's it. You are done. Now I will wait for 15-20 days.

Thanks.

Last edited by GTO : 17th March 2021 at 19:42. Reason: Copying post to new thread
fordday is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 17th March 2021, 19:42   #4
BHPian

I recently completed the Renewal of Registration for my car - 2006 Corolla.

Since I completed this process from Mumbai, hope it can help anyone from here.

Let me try to put the whole process in a step-by-step guide.

1. go to https://vahan.parivahan.gov.in/vahan...homepage.xhtml
2. Here enter your vehicle registration number and you would be redirected to a page for services that can be availed online.
3. Select the appropriate option (renewal of registration).
4. Pay the fees online.
5. Fill in the form online (Form 25)
6. Print both the fees and form receipts for submission at the RTO office.
7. Get the other valid documents ready (Original RC, PUC, Insurance)
8. self attested Zerox copy of PANcard & Aadhar of owner.

From here, you will need to visit the RTO office where you will be doing the re-registration process.
I had visited the Borivali office, so hereon it is with reference to this office.

1. Visit the center with the above documents and the vehicle. (preferable if the owner goes personally)
2. From enquiry counter you would be guided to wait for vehicle inspection by a RTO officer.
3. After the officer inspects the document, he will ask for the chassis number imprint on the form25. (Better to do this after the officer tells you to do so.)
4. The officer will put his initials on the form and after this you need to come back at the center and look for a counter to get your documents entry done in a register for the renewal. The clerk there will put up the number in the register on the form and also put a stamp, which specifies the new date of expiry of registration.
5. Now you will need to wait for the inspection officer to return and put his signature and stamp.
6. Then you need to go to cash counter, where the green tax needs to be paid and a receipt of the same to be taken. ( this print will have 2 copy)
7. After this, you need to go to counter no.20, where they will verify all the documents and ask you to visit counter no.8.
8. At this counter, they will check if there is any pending challan or traffic violation. (I had none so went straight back to counter 20).
9. After this, the officer at counter 20 will attach one copy of the green tax paid to the papers and return the second copy back to you.
10. Lastly, visit counter no.13 where you need to submit all these documents for the final time. You will be told to check online in couple of days for checking the status of your application.

Note: In the above process, my vehicle did not have any of these
1. No loans
2. No address change
3. Same RTO office.
Any changes in these 3 might affect the above renewal process.

For this whole renewal, the following charges are paid by me.
1. Postal fee - rs.50.
2. Renewal of registration - Rs.600
3. Smart card fee - Rs.200
4. Green tax - Rs.3000.

Last edited by GTO : 17th March 2021 at 19:43. Reason: Copying post to new thread
bajica is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 17th March 2021, 19:44   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak916 View Post
Sharing my experience of renewing FC for 2005 Zen at KA-03 RTO. Also, you can use it as a to-do guide for KA-03, specifically and RTO in general.
Found this very useful. Thanks to the advice here, I made arrangements and went to the RTO. Got done in 20min. Start to finish.

My regular haunt is the Jayanagar RTO but since the car was registered at Koromangala, I told myself to go prepared to finish the work in 1 visit.

Pre-visit

Arranged all paper work
Filled up forms online, downloaded and printed them out.
Form 25
Form 33
ID proof (DL)
Address change proof (establishment telephone bill and GST registration copy)
RC book xerox
PUC certificate Xerox
Plastic zip lock for RC book

Take impression of the chassis on Form 25
On a blank sheet, take another impression of the chassis.

Before you leave for the RTO
Take a thin screwdriver /punching machine (to punch hole through documents and put in file
Blank A4 sheet paper
Dark pencil (B)

At the Koromangala BDA complex, went in and picked up a brown file and stamp envelope.
Went to 2nd floor, hall 11 (Non-Transport Section). Showed the docs, was asked to pay Rs 74 additional fees for smart card in hall 8.
Went there, paid the fees, got issued a receipt,
I rearranged all the docs with the receipt on top
Wrote down address on the envelope
Was asked to go to hall 1 (where the inspectors sit).
Went there, the inspector went through the file and asked me to take a blank sheet of paper and get the impression again (he kept the file with him).
Went to the car, got the impression, returned and submitted the sheet.
He signed Form 25, got the stamp on the same at the table opposite the inspector (the guy who stamped the form asked for Rs 50 but I pretended I didn’t hear him and left the hall right away).

Went back to hall 11. Showed the docs. They said all docs are fine and kept the file.
I asked them, no receipt or acknowledgement? They said all online.
I insisted, lady said you can take Xerox of docs.
Went downstairs, got Xerox of smart card cash receipt and Form 25.
Went back and submitted the file.

I think the reason I got done so soon was because there was no inspection and there was no rush today.

The central govt has moved several services online (linked with aadhar).

Last edited by GTO : 17th March 2021 at 19:44. Reason: Copying post to new thread
bugatti is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 17th March 2021, 19:45   #6
BHPian

I was able to complete the RC renewal of my 2002 Bullet Thunderbird. Here's the real picture:

1. RC expired in 2017 which I didn't realise till recently as I hadn't been using the bike.
2. Total RTO charges including address change, green tax, smart card issue, fine for delay, etc. was only Rs. 1450 or so.
3. Rs. 300 penalty for delay was charged only once, not every month.
4. Fitness is also covered with RC renewal.
5. LTT is of course valid and no further charges there.
6. I had to go to the same RTO where the bike was originally registered as it was a book RC and they needed to retrieve the file.
7. Insurance policy had some errors in bike cc, better to ensure it matches the RC details perfectly. Emission test report is also required.
8. Actual paid to the agent was Rs. 5000.
9. I did not personally go but the bike had to be taken twice as even though it passed all tests the first time, it did not have a sari guard.
10. The time taken from second visit to getting the digital update on mParivahan was 12 days. I am yet to collect the smart card.
11. Validity of RC and fitness is till Sep 2025, i.e. 5 years from now and not from date of original expiry.
12. As per mParivahan app, RC validity of expired vehicles is extended till Dec 31 2020.

Was great to ride the bike again after so many years. Though there are a lot of Bullets on the road these days, don't see many in the same blue as mine!
incinerator is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 17th March 2021, 19:47   #7
BHPian

Folks,

With gods grace I could do the following things pending for my RX-135. I'm just re-collecting all things which could help anyone in future and jotting it down here. My experience is at RTO (N) - Yeshwanthpur.

1. HPT (Hypothecation Termination)
2. RRC (Renewal of Registration Certificate)
3. TO (Transfer of Ownership)

RTO is always a scary place for anyone doing it individually. But I assure you once you go there, people will help you though officials are not so friendly as you expect to provide all information in a platter. But if you ask them, they are ready to help.

If you have the time and patience, you could save lots of money. I just paid total of R.s 1711/- for the following things mentioned above. I presume as you would already know the documents needed for the following - my case was unique. There was signature mismatch during HPT and my RC book was kept on hold during HP Termination in Aug 2018 till date. There was no fee for late payment of RC renewal which was due for close to an year, being signature mismatch of previous owner.

I went along with owner, he signed in the HP documents again as per one official mentioned with the date. Since HPT challan (payment fee for HP Termination) was void since it was almost more than a year I took in Aug 2018, I had to pay that again.

Then I also had to do the Renewal of RC (Along with vehicle inspection).

1. Form 25 duly filled (Get the chassis no. etched with a pencil on the form preferably in first page)
2. Valid Insure and Pollution xerox copies
3. Original RC Book/Smart card
4. Keep all this tied together and keep in a paper file folder
5. Envelope (rs. 18/-) for sending back the updated RC Smart card with your address. mobile no. and vehicle no. written on it

Make sure the superintendent (one of the official who verify this documents and write down manually in the form the application fee based on HPT, TO, RRC. ). Once it is written, give it for data entry one person sitting in-front of desktop. There maybe more, just ask where is data entry or anyone will help you.

Once data entry is done, you can go for fee payment. It is also easy (keep the change ready) and they will issue the challan receipt for the fee paid. It will include some fee for smart card (Some Rs. 60 I think). If you have the HPT, RRC, TO, it is advised to do it all in one go and save precious time (one day in RTO) and some amount of money since for smart card each time they charge few bucks. Next you can take the vehicle for Inspection along with the forms, challans etc.

My bike was ready in all aspects (Make sure Horn, headlamp, break-light, indicators working, RHS and LHS side view mirrors, tyres in good condition).l Once this is verified and satisfied, inspector put his signature on Form-25. Then take this form to office again for putting seal (plus some data entry) next to the Inspector signature. Verfiy this again with the first superintendent for final hand-over to the person who will give you the acknowledgment receipt. Keep that receipt always handy (1 month the updated RC will come to your address mentioned in Envelope) in case of any regular follow-up beyond 1 month and during your ride to show anyone that it is WIP.

Few pointers :

1. Always ask official about next step if you are not clear. If not replied in asking once, they will give info second time. Be polite, don't be rude ever. They are here to serve you, but they multi-task high time than a tech savvy professional.
2. Each step is important. Like without official jolting down manually the fee in your application with a red pen, it can't go for Data entry. Like wise without data entry in a computer, you can't go for challan (fee) payment.
3. First time is always scary for any new comer (read newbie in an RTO) who is giving the application for the first time. Next you will be experienced and get used to behavioral traits of RTO.
4. Keep pen, eraser, stapler, forms, file holder, glue, photo etc,. handy.
5. Plead, plead in cases like silly things like (lunch time closure, if you are last person plead once, they will take your request as you need to wait say more than an hour after lunch time)
6. You can see many applicants like you saving money - but with lots of patience and time taking effort. My personal opinion is it's worth knowing what you ride on road takes lots of effort in papers to be road worthy in all means.

Please feel free to PM me or let know any things more that I can help with. Next I have my Baleno for renewal in Jan 2020.

Regards
Prsn

Last edited by GTO : 17th March 2021 at 19:48. Reason: Copying post to new thread
prsnck is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 17th March 2021, 19:51   #8
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Procedure of renewing vehicle registration at the 15-year mark | It's easier than you think

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line. Thanks for sharing!
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th March 2021, 20:38   #9
Senior - BHPian

Re: Procedure of renewing vehicle registration at the 15-year mark | It's easier than you think

How much is the green tax? Read a few articles and there seem to be conditions on which tax % is calculated. Anyone has simplified explanation?
amol4184 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2021, 20:55   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugatti View Post
I think the reason I got done so soon was because there was no inspection and there was no rush today.
Very interesting. Any idea how come there was no inspection?
Old 17th March 2021, 21:28   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Happy to know that "Life time tax" in Karnataka is indeed valid for life and not just for 15 years.
androdev is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 17th March 2021, 22:26   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

How was the engine number confirmed ?
dhanushs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2021, 23:09   #13
Senior - BHPian

I too renewed the registration on my Palio which was heavily modified. I did face some challenges as the RTO inspector was very strict and i really liked the way he was grilling the owners of taxis, autowalas and also the agents.

1. He noticed i had an aftermarket exhaust, he asked me to go out to the PUC scanning center which was just outside the RTO and redo the PUC and come back with values. Luckily it was all within the specs and there was no issue.

2. My cars registration had fern green as the color code whereas my car is colored in matte metallic dark grey. I am extremely lucky he didn't notice it or may be he didn't bother about it

3. He loved my cars interiors and the way the car was restored. The revved the engine and said this is a great powerful car. He used to own a palio few years back.

4. He did not notice or even get to know that my car had a brand new engine and not the ones which came along with it.

5. He confiscated my auxiliary driving lamps. Made me remove it in front of him. I always carry a tool kit in my car. It took me 15 minutes and a lot of effort in hot sun to take the wiring, cutouts and switches off. May be he felt bad for me after some time.

He approved my re-registration and i was totally relieved. My recommendation to all would be to keep the car as stock as possible, be very polite with the officer and keep all legal documents clear. Keep back to back 2/3 consecutive PUCs handy. I saw the officer yelling at one guy who got the PUC only for the sake of registration. I must say all RTOs should get strict officers like him and we shall start seeing safer vehicles on the road.
amit_mechengg is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 18th March 2021, 00:24   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
How to renew your vehicle registration at the 15-year mark
How much did the agent charge you? I paid Rs. 4000 in Tamil Nadu.
Old 18th March 2021, 09:13   #15
Senior - BHPian

A hike has been proposed in the renewal of vehicles above 15 years, as part of the overall plan to roll out the vehicle scrappage policy.

For regular passenger cars, the amount has been increased from Rs.600/- to Rs.5,000/-.

For 2 wheelers, the amount has been increased from Rs.300/- to Rs.1,000/-.

Delays in renewals could attract a penalty of Rs.3-500/month.

Source
GrammarNazi is offline   (9) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks