Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th March 2021, 13:41   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by inder View Post
Can we renew the RC before 15 years. Say in the 13th or 14th year itself.
I guess you can do this as early as 60 days before expiry, not before that. You can do this after expiry too, however there is a penalty which is levied.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Just the thread I was looking for

Question: For renewal, is it mandatory to produce the car to the RTO where it was registered? I think it is required, isn't it?
This is a pretty entangled situation if you ask me.

Yes it is mandatory to produce the car in the same RTO where it was registered. Especially since it’s a KA RTO. I highly doubt if you can pull a back door entry, even if one of those most influential agents succeed it would cost a bomb.

Getting an NOC and reregistering it is not worth the trouble for a 15 year old car. The taxes have to be payed again although this is usually done on pro rata basis. The process of getting the NOC with crime report etc. is a lot of trouble to ask for considering you are not residing in Bengaluru anymore.

From how I see it, if the car is of great value either mechanically or sentimentally you can

1) Take the big leap of reregistration as this would solve the problem once and for all and make it future proof.

2) Other thing you can do is ship the car to Bengaluru, register in a PG which gives a rent agreement (a notarized agreement is happily accepted by KA RTO till date) and renew it. Should not cost much for the documentation.

If not the above and the car has really reached its end of Life, as much as I hate to say it let it RIP. You can consider the new scrapping policy perhaps.

Mod Note : Please use the EDIT or QUOTE+ (multi-quote) button instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

To know how to multi-quote, click here.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by Sheel : 20th March 2021 at 14:34. Reason: Mod note attached.
skyocean is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th March 2021, 14:28   #32
BHPian

Re: Procedure of renewing vehicle registration at the 15-year mark | It's easier than you think

Wanted to share my experience of renewing the RC for Swift 2005 (KL reg) model of my friend.

Due to the covid situation, the RTO themselves push for applying the forms online.

Basic parameters to ensure:
- Car details are present in the Vaahan website if you wish to renew online (very very important)
- Original RC book/card
- Insurance
- PUC
- Car is in stock condition, this is very important to note for states like Kerala
- Vehicle in decent knick and no errors in the instrument cluster
- Immediate check points work, lights, tires (visually atleast) work
- Car should start in first crank (favourable)

Link to access and get the forms online:
https://vahan.parivahan.gov.in/vahan...homepage.xhtml

Login with the Vehicle number, update your phone number to receive OTP

- Click on Basic services, enter the last 5 digits of the chassis number
- Form 25 for application of renewal of RC
- Green Tax
- 5 year renewal tax (RC)

Please ensure you pay either by Credit card or Internet Bank transfer, since the UPI tends to crash and is very unreliable.

Once you get these forms, take a print out and also include the car particulars (RC, Ins, PUC) and go to the RTO office for an appointment. The appointment bit has to be done in person, there is some fees of 100/200 which they collect.

To be on the safe side, we took the help of an agent just for the physical inspection which added another 1k or 2k (not sure). We have to provide the documents in an envelope with a stamp, mentioning the registered Owners address. Please note the address has to be the same as per the RC particulars and the owner must be present during the physical inspection (per the Kerala RTO).

Once the inspection is done, the renewed RC and PUC is shipped within 40 to 45 days. Not much of a hassle, total damage to pocket was around 13k to 15k. Credit should be given to the Ministry for making this almost seamless, barring a few hiccups. If you have the time and resources, you can save some bucks without taking the help of an agent.
Old 20th March 2021, 16:31   #33

Re: Procedure of renewing vehicle registration at the 15-year mark | It's easier than you think

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordday View Post
Sharing my experience of renewing my 2005 Octavia yesterday at KA51 RTO.
Hi mine also nearing FC renewal thanks for the info mine also KA 51 Skoda Octavia, also where you get your car maintained in Bangalore

Last edited by Aditya : 20th March 2021 at 22:44. Reason: Quoted text trimmed
Old 20th March 2021, 19:15   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverLineOcty View Post
also where you get your car maintained in Bangalore
I normally visit Carsmith at jakkasandra for most of the works.
Old 20th March 2021, 19:19   #35

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : There are several spelling & grammatical errors in your posts. This negatively affects the forum experience for other readers.

Kindly ensure that you proof-read your posts prior to submission. Also, it would be a good idea to use a spell-checker.

Last edited by GTO : 29th March 2021 at 07:36.
SilverLineOcty is offline   Received Infraction
Old 20th March 2021, 21:20   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyocean View Post
If not the above and the car has really reached its end of Life, as much as I hate to say it let it RIP. You can consider the new scrapping policy perhaps.
Thanks for the detailed reply! I may just decide to let the car RIP, since the other options are not too easy for me at the moment.

I was browsing through the Parivahan website and saw the option "RC Surrender" after I submitted the car registration number as well as the chassis number. What does this option mean? Is it the first step into the scrapping procedure?

Procedure of renewing vehicle registration at the 15-year mark | It's easier than you think-rcsurrender.jpg

Hope I don't have to take the car to the KA RTO for an RC cancellation!

Last edited by clevermax : 20th March 2021 at 21:39.
clevermax is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2021, 21:56   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammarNazi View Post
A hike has been proposed in the renewal of vehicles above 15 years, as part of the overall plan to roll out the vehicle scrappage policy.

For regular passenger cars, the amount has been increased from Rs.600/- to Rs.5,000/-.

For 2 wheelers, the amount has been increased from Rs.300/- to Rs.1,000/-.

Delays in renewals could attract a penalty of Rs.3-500/month.

Source
I believe the new rates are effective from Oct 2021. I paid only Rs 600 or 500 green tax when i got my WagonR's RC renewed in Aug 2016.
Old 21st March 2021, 07:28   #38
BHPian

I'm in a similar dilemma about getting my May 2004 Corolla's fitness renewed in Delhi. It has completed 15 years almost 2 years ago and despite trying my level best, I was unable to get hold of a NoC from Delhi RTO in order to get it registered in some Tier-2/3 city.

Now my question is, my car's fitness expired 2 years ago and it's been lying unused now, barring occasional drives in the colony. Can I get the Fitness certificate now for 5 years despite a 2 years gap in between ? Also, will it be prospective from today or retrospective from 2 years ago ?

Last edited by sanyog26 : 21st March 2021 at 07:30. Reason: Typo
sanyog26 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2021, 14:13   #39

Hey all, Is there any difference in the process/requirements for re-registering a car (A santro xing petrol XP) that had crossed 15 years already, will be 20 years in 2023 and hence next needs to be renewed in Sep 2023? I see the draft rules saying the effective date for the new rules will be effective only by June 2024?
Old 22nd March 2021, 18:24   #40
BHPian

I completely agree to this. Its not at all difficult to get the green tax paid.
Got this done for my 2005 registered Indica V2 Turbo in last November with the help of an agent and it was pretty smooth. The vehicle is on my mothers name and there was no need for her to go to the RTO office.
The agent paid all the amount as my parents don't have a debit card and payment has to be done mandatorily using debit/credit cards. No cash payment was accepted by Goa RTO. I have no idea if other RTOs accept cash payments.
Total charge including the agents fees was something around 4500/- which is quiet reasonable considering the green tax would be valid for another 5 years.
Old 8th April 2021, 09:09   #41
Senior - BHPian

Is it true that for all the vehicles whose RC expired during 2020, can do it till some month (June?) of 2021 without any additional fine. I vaguely heard about this but not sure if it is a confirmed thing. I remember it was extended till Dec 2020, but not sure if it is further extended to sometime this year.
Old 8th April 2021, 09:22   #42
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
Is it true that for all the vehicles whose RC expired during 2020, can do it till some month (June?) of 2021 without any additional fine. I vaguely heard about this but not sure if it is a confirmed thing. I remember it was extended till Dec 2020, but not sure if it is further extended to sometime this year.
Yes, the validity of all vehicle documents have been extended till June 2021.
Team BHP thread Link
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2021, 11:10   #43
BHPian

Hi,

I have been thinking about getting a used Pajero SFX. The one I have in mind is a 2008 model. Just wanted to find out if it would be difficult to get the Fitness Certificate and renewed vehicle registration, given that it is a diesel vehicle and all the talk around scrapping etc.

I would only take the plunge if the process would not be cumbersome. I am based out of Bangalore.
Old 1st June 2021, 11:45   #44
BHPian

Hello,

I have a Maruti Omni whose RC and insurance expired in 2017 itself. That car was not even started after that so I never bothered to renew it.

Now, I want to renew it's RC but I don't know where to start? The car is mechanically perfect and I also got it repainted in 2015. Also, just in case if it matters, the car is in Bihar.
Old 1st June 2021, 18:44   #45
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
I too renewed the registration on my Palio which was heavily modified. I did face some challenges as the RTO inspector was very strict and i really liked the way he was grilling the owners of taxis, autowalas and also the agents.
2. My cars registration had fern green as the color code whereas my car is colored in matte metallic dark grey. I am extremely lucky he didn't notice it or may be he didn't bother about it
5. He confiscated my auxiliary driving lamps. Made me remove it in front of him. I always carry a tool kit in my car. It took me 15 minutes and a lot of effort in hot sun to take the wiring, cutouts and switches off. May be he felt bad for me after some time.

He approved my re-registration and i was totally relieved. My recommendation to all would be to keep the car as stock as possible, be very polite with the officer and keep all legal documents clear. Keep back to back 2/3 consecutive PUCs handy. I saw the officer yelling at one guy who got the PUC only for the sake of registration. I must say all RTOs should get strict officers like him and we shall start seeing safer vehicles on the road.
Very useful information especially about back-to-back PU history. My Gypsy renewal is due in 3 years from now and I want to paint it a different color. Should I combine the paint job with registration renewal time or do it this year only given the hassle? Because I will have to remove the Aux lighting, side-step, Bull Bar, etc and all the hassle is a huge effort. I would rather take it for renewal after paint-job before mounting all the accessories back. Is it allowed to present a totally new color scheme during renewal? Did your new registration reflect the new paint scheme - gray color or the original green?

Last edited by Ragul : 1st June 2021 at 18:46.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks