Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 18th March 2021, 23:11   #136
BHPian

re: The Skoda Kushaq crossover, now unveiled!

Benchmarked this against the Kamiq

Length 4225 / 4241
Width 1760 / 1793
Height 1612 / 1553
GC 188 / ?
Wheel base 2651 / 2651
Boot Space 385 / 400 Lts (courtesy lesser L & W dimensions)
1.5 - MQ281/DQ200
1.0 - MQ200/AQ250

The MQ281 manual gearbox was launched in 2019 by the VW group and has a torque range of 200 to 340 Nm. First seen on the Passat.

The instrument cluster is that on the base version of the Kamiq

So many blanks in the cluster where the heated seat buttons are located. Imagine a top end version with multiple blanks. Would be strange.

Missing or can’t make out
Rear disk brakes
Virtual cockpit/displays
HVAC physical controls
Electric driver seat
Door umbrella storage
Privacy glass / Glass tints
TPMS. Although not seen it could have it as the cluster supports it.
NevGin is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th March 2021, 23:14   #137
Senior - BHPian

Are there drive modes on offer? Competition has it and did not see any mention anywhere.
Old 18th March 2021, 23:20   #138
Distinguished - BHPian

Rear has drum brakes as confirmed by EvoIndia.

Skoda Kushaq | A Close Look & Preview-12355dd72d3c46cfbb5999da86987ff9.jpeg
CEF_Beasts is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th March 2021, 23:36   #139
Distinguished - BHPian

Looks like this one will priced closer to the 17-21 L for the range. As checked with someone.

I had got the pics separately, and looks another well-styled and spec'd Skoda.
condor is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 18th March 2021, 23:43   #140
BHPian

Just to Remind SKODA and its marketing head that the base variant of Creta Petrol is priced at Rs.9.99 Lacs Ex-Showroom and base variant of Creta Diesel is priced at Rs.10.32 lacs Ex-showroom.

Moreover, when Creta was launched less than a year ago, lower two variants of petrol and the base variant of Diesel were priced below 10 lacs (ex-showroom).

Creta has advantages of being the market leader, relatively huge service network etc.

Few states have higher registration costs for products having ex-showroom price greater than Rs.10 lacs.

Hence, Skoda may like to price atleast two variants below 10 lacs atleast initially. I have a feeling that initial pricing will determine the success/failure of the product. Nissan and Renault seem to have realised this. Wish Skoda also does some sensible pricing in their own interest.

As already mentioned elsewhere, a number of new products in the same segment or one segment above/below are to be launched (MG -ZS, Maruti Vitara Brezza (next gen), Citroen C21, Toyota/Maruti CSUV, Honda ZRV(?) etc..

All the best Skoda. Will seriously consider Kushaq if they offer a CNG option in the base or mid variant.

Last edited by DImPo : 18th March 2021 at 23:44.
DImPo is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th March 2021, 23:43   #141
BHPian

Overall a great package by Skoda it looks. Practical and if priced right should appeal to a wide range of buyers. Waiting for the review on the 1.5 TSI manual, good they are offering the manual and not forcing the DSG as the only option.

Interesting observation on the Auto gear knob, the PDRN functions seems to be on the top of the lever. Love it though my heart goes out for the manual only. Please price the vehicle right Skoda!

I feel there will be a section of buyers who are unimpressed by the current SUV line up with choices limited to Creta and Seltos. People trying to upgrade from Figo/Punto/Linea who would love the handling focus would find the Kushaq a worthy upgrade.
chinmaypillay is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 19th March 2021, 00:32   #142
Distinguished - BHPian

Saw a few videos on YouTube, the journalists are trying their best to be cheerful but it appears that Skoda has brought a knife to a gun fight.
Kosfactor is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 19th March 2021, 00:35   #143
BHPian

OMG, NO PANORAMIC SUNROOF!!
NO 360 VIEW CAMERA!!
NO REAR DISC BRAKE!!
NO VIRTUAL COCKPIT!!

How can Skoda sell this in a same segment as beautiful Creta and safest car Seltos?

Skoda is mad to expect this to sell more than hundred thousand in few years. Look at that beautiful Creta, sold hundred thousand copies within a year.

Sarcasm apart, I really appreciate Skoda/VW India for investing here and offering their sensible and competent products.

Combined number of units sold of Skoda and VW is lesser than not so successful Maruti suzuki Ignis. But still, Skoda India investing funds, time and trying hard to gain a strong market share.

As we all know Skoda/VW is not a cheap car to buy or cheap to run. Its the same story in other parts of the world. However, even their ultra basic car from any segment feel superior to their respective segment rivals (Japanese and Koreans). Where other Japanese companies are being lazy, adamant, stingy etc doesn't have any major plan for us in long run.

Yes, India is price sensitive market but that doesn't mean we deserve substandard products.
Whenever I sit in my cousin's Honda Amaze 2018, I feel so sorry for him. I'm scared that I may break some interior bits. Almost all Japanese and Korean manufacturers has atleast one model in their lineup which is awful and terrible in every way. Heck, even Fortuner did not have rear disc brakes.
Please understand that I'm not against any brand or particular model.

Germans cannot do a unsatisfied job even if their bosses said so (personal experience). So a German car company working hard on localisation and cutting cost on things which are not absolute necessary and doesn't rant about tax system of our republic. I would say, they are very determined in what they are doing and I wish them success.

Kushaq will not even sell half as much as Creta or Seltos, not in a million years. But Kushaq is made from a manufacturer who knows how to build a proper car. I know most of the members will not agree with me and continue to compare feature list of Korean with this. If I have Kushaq over Seltos, I'll be happy that I have a good car.

Note: No offence to Creta, Seltos and Amaze owners.
Karthik.thm is offline   (42) Thanks
Old 19th March 2021, 00:46   #144
Distinguished - BHPian

I noticed lots of publications are stating that the 1.5TSi gets a 6 speed DSG whereas it is the same DQ200 7 speed DSG as before. Don’t know how most of them are confused!
Old 19th March 2021, 00:47   #145
BHPian

Still waiting for some OEM to introduce rear ventilated seats - now that would be a real game changer for our Indian climate and our propensity to use the backseat by default .
JishD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2021, 01:06   #146
BHPian

Variant info extracted from press kit

Active
  • ABS, ESC, ISOFIX and top-tether anchor points.
  • 7-inch touchscreen with SmartLink and Skoda Connect services
  • Bluetooth Audio system with built-in microphone. USB-A ports
  • 4 speakers + 2 tweeters
  • DRLs in the fog lamp housing
  • Two-spoke multi-function steering
  • Ambient lighting and LED reading lights on front, rear
  • 16 inch steel wheels with Lhotse full wheel covers
  • Black skid plates in front, rear
  • All headrests height-adjustable, rear parking sensors.
Ambition
  • Climatronic AC
  • 16-inch Grus Alloy wheels
  • LED clear lens headlight and L-shaped DRLs
  • 10-inch touchscreen with Wireless SmartLink and Skoda Connect services with Navigation
  • Bluetooth 4.0 Audio system with dual-tuner, Wi-Fi hotspot, external microphone
  • Two USB-C ports. Audio system to support AAC and FLAC media files.
  • Silver skid plates in front, rear and roof rails
  • 6.1 L Cooled Glove box
  • 60:40 rear seat with cup holders
  • Dashboard Ambient lighting and illuminated door handles.
  • Chrome-plated door handles, Leather gear knob
  • Leather steering wheel, Sunglass holder
  • Paddle shift in AT, DSG
Style
  • Electric sliding Sunroof
  • Skoda sound system with subwoofer in spare-wheel well
  • 17-inch Atlas two-tone Alloy wheels
  • Ventilated leather front seats
  • KESSY keyless entry
  • Auto-dimming IRVM
  • Additional LED on tail lights
  • Wireless charging and mobile holder for rear seat
  • Decorative chrome trim on instrument panel, gearstick surround and handbrake
  • Leather upholstery on centre and door armrests.
anthusiast is offline   (30) Thanks
Old 19th March 2021, 01:13   #147
Kln
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_Automobile View Post
Indian market loves gizmo laden cars (companies call them 'features', which makes 'creature attractions' sound better). And therefore, by that definition, Skoda seems to have missed the bus. I find it interesting that better engineering is often not considered in feature list!

[

It isn't just a long laundry list of features that drives an Indian customer to purchase a car. There are multiple USPs each manufacturer has. Maruti Brezza wouldn't be selling like it is if it were *just* features that the customer wants. With that in mind, I think it is very premature to dismiss the Kushaq straight off the bat like so many are doing here. Let's wait and watch.

Indians are extremely price sensitive - either you fill the car to the brim with 'features' and charge them handsomely like the Koreans, or you sell a watered down car that gives a great ROI on 'Kitna deti hai' at a cheaper price, like Maruti, or you make cars that fetch a handsome resale values, like Toyota. Skoda has the reputation of being enthusiasts only with very poor after sales service and horrid resale value. It's true what they say, the only person who buys a new Skoda is someone who's already owned a Skoda. They really need to change this perception - and the Kushaq seems perfect for this. However, anything more than 15 lakhs for this is DOA for sure.
Kln is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th March 2021, 01:39   #148
Senior - BHPian

Pretty detailed walk around by Kartikeya from zigwheels.

Looks like a well put together car. Loved the simplistic interior with some bits like rubber bands on door pockets, 3 adjustable headrests at the back , sliding function for AC control. They seem to have packed in most of the essentials an urban CSUV user would look for. Doesn’t scream bling like the koreans but seems sophisticated enough. Even base model has touchscreen (7”) . Can’t wait to have a look in flesh as soon as it hits the showrooms.

Skoda, please don’t go overboard with the pricing and you have one customer ready

Last edited by SoumenD : 19th March 2021 at 01:40.
SoumenD is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 19th March 2021, 07:18   #149
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Skoda Kushaq crossover, now unveiled!

Skoda's dilemma: Rise of Kushaq curtains for Karoq?

Skoda has confirmed its SUV has been temporarily axed from the Indian market.

Reasons could be many but the main could be Kushaq shares its major components( Engine+ Gear box in top variant) with the pricier Karoq.

Main reason could be the pricing.

As Kushaq's 1.0L TSI is expected to be priced somewhere around ₹ 9-10 lakh (ex-showroom), the 1.5 TSI could go up to ₹ 17-18 lakh (ex-showroom)

The range-topping trim of the Kushaq could undercut the Karoq by almost ₹ 7-8 lakh and this is a perfect example of how the automaker played big with localization.

Kushaq is now gearing up for a June launch, while the deliveries are expected to begin in July.

Zac Hollis:
Quote:
1000 FBU units of Karoq were brought in as a part of a breaching strategy. Karoq is finished for now and we’re still evaluating if the model needs to be in the marketplace going forward. It is a premium offering in terms of its pricing and we don’t know yet if Karoq will be a part of our future model strategy

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 19th March 2021 at 07:24.
volkman10 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 19th March 2021, 08:17   #150
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Skoda Kushaq crossover, now unveiled!

I think that for 17-18 lac ~ 20 Lac OTR price, Skoda is offering a visually "smallish" car. It seems smaller in length, width and height than a Creta/Seltos/Kicks/Duster and ground clearance is also barely there (188mm). That will be an instant perceptible difference even though mechanically the car may be equal or superior.

Also, smaller width translates to narrower cabin. In contrast the the sunroof will make the Creta's cabin perceptibly bigger (it already feels bigger than the Seltos).

Now, take a potential customer who is upgrading from a Maruti/Hyundai hatchback and make him sit in a base/mid trim Kushaq with the 1.0 TSI Manual- that customer will probably struggle with turbo lag in the city environment, and come out of the test drive with mixed feelings. Then he will take a TD of a Creta/Seltos and will be blown away by the linear , smooth performance of the 1.5 NA petrol or diesel.
Job done, hands over the booking amount to the dealer and lines up in the queue.

Only the discerning ones will check out the TC-AT or the DSG. At this rate, you cant expect competitors to break the Korean stranglehold on the CSUV market.

Last edited by fhdowntheline : 19th March 2021 at 08:20.
fhdowntheline is offline   (4) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks