Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 19th March 2021, 15:35   #226

Re: The Skoda Kushaq crossover, now unveiled!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maky View Post
Interesting...
If they explicitly mentioned this, their intent is to emphasize reliability, does this mean we no longer have to be concered about the DQ200 unit?
I'm pretty sure they said cumulative, which means this number could be a sum of multiple cars
growlshant is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th March 2021, 15:59   #227
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Seeing the postings in this thread, I guess ŠKODA will be happy seeing the excitement and anticipation for the Kushaq here.

But all of us expect a disruptive pricing in this segment as it is a make or break for the group in India.
Couldn't agree more. The engagement levels around this product seem to be very high. The number of viewers on their various social media platforms yesterday was pretty high as compared to what it is for an average car launch webcast. The same is true here in TeamBHP also with the thread having run into 50+ pages already - think that would be pretty much on the very higher side.

Doubt if it would be priced disruptively as I don't think that considering its network reach Skoda can think of bringing in volumes like Hyundai or Kia from day one. The brand value also comes into the picture. I think being priced fairly is more important & I hope Skoda delivers on that front. India is a huge market & there are people who have expectations different from the majority - may not want it of a particular size or a 360 degree camera etc. etc. - so Skoda can still meet its own aspirations despite not catering to the majority.

Every car has its hits & its misses, to me this one looks like a good overall package & I think it would leave its mark on the market pretty well.
abhishek_hch is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2021, 16:07   #228
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Won't Kushaq 1.0 TSi also be the only vehicle in this segment to quality for the lower tax benefits (vehicles larger than 4 metres, but with a petrol engine smaller than 1.2 litre capacity)?

15% compensation cess instead of 22% for the entry level variants of all it's rivals - another factor which should contribute to brilliant pricing of the 1.0 TSi variants - unless Skoda gets greedy.
Is there really a category like that? AFAIK all cars above 4m attract 43% GST irrespective of engine capacities. Can you pls share references to any official sources.
anthusiast is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2021, 16:07   #229
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBX View Post
No offense, but the most powerful engine in the segment, mated to arguably the most advanced DCT in the market, all in a chassis that is expected to deliver on driving thrills. And you're writing it off based on the length of the sunroof.

May as well rename this site as Team-sunroof-per-sqcm and be done with it.
Each to his own requirements. Honestly speaking if I am also spending 15+ L in 2021, I would like to have a Panoramic sunroof. No need to belittle anyone on their requirements.

Like some might even scoff at the idea you are excited about-

1) The most powerful engine in segment by one of the most unreliable manufacturers!
2) One of the most complex system of gearboxes available, that too the dreaded MQ200.
3) Lastly a car by a manufacturer that's known to have some serious reliability issues on their cars and high replacement costs.

IMO life isn't always about pedal to the metal. If that was the case everyone would be driving to their offices in high powered go-carts!

Last edited by 07CR : 19th March 2021 at 16:27.
07CR is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 19th March 2021, 16:11   #230
BHPian

Quote:
Surprisingly, Kushaq is smaller than most sub-4m SUVs in at least two dimensions! It is shorter than most sub-4m SUVs with the exception of the TATA Nexon, whereas in terms of width - it is THE smallest among them all!

Attachment 2134584

That cabin width comparison chart HURT a lot! Its even less wider than Ecosport, whose rear space we all lament!

Apart from that I am eagerly waiting for 1.0 Tsi AT and 1.5 TSi MT pricing feature wise, it covers all the essentials. The mid variant with 16" tyres with a bigger sidewall will also help in ride quality.

Further many BHPians are showing displeasure over lack of digital cockpit. IMHO the All digital instrumentation in Creta looks terrible. Unless they put a 2K 120FPS display I will take analogue meters any day over digital ones.

Last edited by buntee90 : 19th March 2021 at 16:28. Reason: typo
buntee90 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th March 2021, 16:13   #231
BHPian

So we have graduated from a sunroof to a panoramic sunroof is it? Why? So that more kids and knuckles for brain folks can pop half their body out of it while driving on busy roads? We are one decapitation away from sunroofs being banned. And please don't give me "market wants this" bull. Speak for yourself for godssakes! Off late there have been too many "market experts" on our forum.

Kushaq is a Skoda. As long as it maintains Skoda DNA ( better part) of good build quality and decent engine gearbox combo, gizmos are dispensible. Also it would be better to improve their reputation regarding afterwards and ownership experience. And why should it be priced lesser than the Koreans? It will hold its own even if priced at par. Nowhere has Skoda said that it is targeting 1 lakh units a year. One is east the other is west, no point attempting a split.

One gripe i have with the Kushaq is its design. The rear appears as it ends abruptly. Or maybe its the lighting. Will reserve my judgement till I see it in flesh. Another thing I don't understand why a two spoke steering wheel needs a special mention. Though i have no issue with it, the recess at the bottom part of the steering gives that ghost third spoke feeling. Could have kept it plain no?

The feature list has all the basics covered, nothing out of the box which is okay. There are no party tricks here to see.

I have a feeling this could be priced well as cost cutting measures are evident. Under bonnet insulation missing, exposed areas and wires. Even smaller size could be a cost cutting measure, it would also mean less stress on the 1litre engine. Add to this they have not gone all out in the features department.

All in all good to see a fresh player in this segment. If this gets a Tbhp recommendation on the drive and ride experience then it'll have my vote.
400notout is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 19th March 2021, 16:15   #232
BHPian

From little far this looks so much like the 2018 Creta. Except for the nose grill.
BayB is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th March 2021, 16:31   #233
BHPian

The Kushaq seems to be a fairly balanced product from VW / Skoda group focusing on the basics of vehicle rather than other features which make vehicle look like gaming console.

However, having owned a VW Vento 1.6 TDI Highline for 9+ years and 1.75 lacs kms (still going on) I can say one thing for sure - the vehicles are good but after sales, spares and service centers are a BIG issue. Not a single servicing of my Vento has been for less than 12K across major cities like Mumbai, Delhi NCR and Lucknow. Spares are sometime missing, vehicles are not cleaned properly after servicing, high irregularity in bills with superficial charges, inept service advisors (most of them) who look to fleece at any moment - take away all the fun / enthusiasm / finesse of a good product. No amount of finesse of German engineered product can be of any good, if the regular service is itself a hassle.

I am already looking for replacement of my Vento and am keen on Ecosport or Venue - only for the reason of RELATIVELY better after sales experience than VW / Skoda. Am willing to drive a lesser ENTHUSIAST vehicle rather than have a good product backed by poor after sales & constant fleecing of customer coupled with constant agony of visiting their service centers - even though i love my Vento & would not have parted with it (but thanks to NGT and their 10 year diesel vehicle rule in Delhi NCR where I am currently posted).
Turbo_anup is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th March 2021, 16:46   #234
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eshan Joshi View Post
The general public would forget about the Kushaq by the time they anounce the price.

My friend's father was looking to replace their 13 year old City with the Kushaq.

My friend said that they were kinda disappointed with the Kushaq (mainly boot space). He believes that the Kushaq must under cut the Creta by at least 1.5 lacs for it to be a good deal. Hopefully Skoda gets the pricing right.
In all recent interviews Zac Hollis & Gurpratap Boparai stressed on the point that they want to increase dealer network to 150 before the the car hits the showroom, it's possible that the March-static unveil followed by June- Launch and price reveal and deliveries in July are strategized accordingly to meet the 150 target.

And as far as boot space discussion is considered on this thread, it's not a make or break deal. A practical and usable boot is all one needs, in my old polo the boot space was practical and more usable, and my relatives swift boot space sucks.

I think the company is working hard to reach the people and be more accessible, still they have miles to go, but the efforts are clearly visble.
any23 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th March 2021, 16:46   #235
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Surprisingly, Kushaq is smaller than most sub-4m SUVs in at least two dimensions! It is shorter than most sub-4m SUVs with the exception of the TATA Nexon, whereas in terms of width - it is THE smallest among them all!

Except when viewed in side profile, this car may end up having less road presence than even sub-4m SUVs!

When it comes to its own segment - Kushaq is truly the smallest, in all dimensions! Wonder why Skoda adopted this strategy, in our market where size and road presence plays a big factor in sales!

Im very surprised by the dimensions! I assume that the length may not be a deal breaker since Skoda claims that the Kushaq has the longest wheelbase, and hence customers are not going to feel short on space inside. And even the height would seem acceptable since the stance seems right unlike say the S-Cross. But what bothers me is the width. Most sub 4m cars feel very narrow already and im not sure why the Kushaq has been made with lower width than completion across the board. Usually VW and Skoda are not the best in terms of space management, so unless they really have managed to keep the actual usable width of the car in reasonable dimension, I think they may have a slight problem.

Also starting to wonder, Skoda and VW had all the time to launch this car, so shouldnt they have been cautious about not being the smallest in most dimensions? Or have they packaged the car so well that these variations in dimensions dont matter?
motorworks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2021, 16:48   #236
BHPian

My pricing bet will be (launch offer)

1.0 TSI starting at 9.99 (ex showroom) with Top line going for 14.49 (ex showroom)
1.5 TSI starting at 11.99 (ex showroom) with Top line going for 16.49 (ex showroom)
sunny29584 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th March 2021, 17:04   #237
BHPian

I have a small question. Do the Back seats of the Kushaq fold down?

Quote:
Originally Posted by any23 View Post
And as far as boot space discussion is considered on this thread, it's not a make or break deal. A practical and usable boot is all one needs, in my old polo the boot space was practical and more usable, and my relatives swift boot space sucks.
Yes, I agree with you. I told him the same thing. He is just a bit disappointed (He is a big Skoda fan who been waiting for this since December). As I said earlier , the kushaq is still their first choice.
Eshan Joshi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2021, 17:10   #238
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eshan Joshi View Post
I have a small question. Do the Back seats of the Kushaq fold down?

Yes they do, they are also split seats in the ratio of 60:40 and you can fold either or both parts down if you need to fit more luggage.

Also someone else had a question whether the driver armrest is sliding or not- yes it does slide forward for better positioning.

Here is a good video by Gagan which shows many features. Initially he also thinks the armrest does not slide and later when he sits in back seat he corrects himself that it does slide.

Also he does mention cruise control also being there on the left stalk.

Also if you see the shot when he opens the spare wheel well the spare wheel is fully recessed in a proper niche and does not waste any boot space.
Many cars in the CSUV space actually don't have a proper wheel well and the spare wheel eats into the boot space numbers quoted - including in the Jeep Compass and also the Kia Seltos.

Also another good thing is three point seat belt even for middle passengers in second row.

One weird cost cutting I noticed is the use of framed wipers! Skoda typically used frameless wipers in their cars and using framed wipers is a sign of cost cutting.
I have a feeling this car is going to be priced quite aggressively and would actually fit between the Sonet and Seltos in terms of price points.
My guess on pricing :
Active 1.0 manual starting at 9 lacs
Then Ambition at 10.5
Style at 11.5 Lacs
TC AT versions of the same at 1 Lac Rupee higher for each variant.

On the 1.5
Ambition at 12.5
Style at 13.5
DSG versions of the above at 1.5 lacs higher on each variant.

So effectively the range of prices would be 9 lacs to 15 Lacs ex showroom.
Eventually they may also add Monte Carlo special editions with added features like Driver Information display etc with some additional premium and take it to 16 lacs ex showroom.

Last edited by Behemoth : 19th March 2021 at 17:34.
Behemoth is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 19th March 2021, 17:15   #239
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo_anup View Post
However, having owned a VW Vento 1.6 TDI Highline for 9+ years and 1.75 lacs kms (still going on) I can say one thing for sure - the vehicles are good but after sales, spares and service centers are a BIG issue. Not a single servicing of my Vento has been for less than 12K across major cities like Mumbai, Delhi NCR and Lucknow. Spares are sometime missing, vehicles are not cleaned properly after servicing, high irregularity in bills with superficial charges, inept service advisors (most of them) who look to fleece at any moment - take away all the fun / enthusiasm / finesse of a good product. No amount of finesse of German engineered product can be of any good, if the regular service is itself a hassle.
I know a lot of members here have had a bad experience with VW/Skoda after sales. Call me lucky but having owned the Octavia for 4 years and a Superb for 2, I have had a good experience with the service centre, with proper follow up once the vehicle has come back from service. Maybe Skoda is looking to improve as has been mentioned by Zac Hollis on multiple occasions.
ishaanranderia is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th March 2021, 17:58   #240
Distinguished - BHPian

Make way for the King - Kushaq

volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks