Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 20th March 2021, 14:30   #301
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Skoda Kushaq crossover, now unveiled!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteKnight View Post
Thank you. Totally with you. Since I've not driven 1.5 TSI, would you please share more on the engine power delivery, especially in comparison to 1.8, and 2.0 TSI.
The 1.5 TSI is not a performance oriented engine. It doesn’t like to be revved and gets noisy towards the redline. Also, the engine feels coarse past 4500 rpm almost like one is straining the engine.

With all of this happening with the engine you would tend to back off and drive it in a relaxed manner.

When you look at it, the 1.5 is one of the worst of VW’s TSI engines. If you’ve experienced the performance of the 1.8 or 2.0 TSI and think this to be on similar lines (at least in terms of being rev happy) you would be in for quite a disappointment.

The press review of the 1.5 TSI Kushaq after the Goa pre launch also seemed to reflect similar sentiments albeit diplomatically conveyed.

Last edited by AMG Power : 20th March 2021 at 14:43.
AMG Power is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 20th March 2021, 15:37   #302
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG Power View Post
The 1.5 TSI is not a performance oriented engine. It doesn’t like to be revved and gets noisy towards the redline. Also, the engine feels coarse past 4500 rpm almost like one is straining the engine.

If you’ve experienced the performance of the 1.8 or 2.0 TSI and think this to be on similar lines (at least in terms of being rev happy) you would be in for quite a disappointment.
From POV of someone moving on from 1.2L 4 Cyl K Series engine, how does the 1.5 TSI compare? I test drove the 1.0 TSI extensively, and loved it. Is 1.5 TSI worse than that in terms of refinement, response etc.?
Old 20th March 2021, 16:27   #303
BHPian

While most queries regarding the car has been addressed. Still had to clear my doubt about the built quality after the abysmal Kia Seltos rating. Glad to hear that it is as per Skoda standard heard it from the Horse’s mouth.
Attached Thumbnails
Skoda Kushaq | A Close Look & Preview-0d31bee0819f4659a84f3f6af5ca4d84.jpeg  

ankitbhutoria is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th March 2021, 17:41   #304
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankitbhutoria View Post
While most queries regarding the car has been addressed. Still had to clear my doubt about the built quality after the abysmal Kia Seltos rating. Glad to hear that it is as per Skoda standard heard it from the Horse’s mouth.
He would not say anything else, to be fair. You should check the reviews of the pre production media drive. Almost all of the reviewers said that the build quality was what we expect from VAG cars and not diluted for the Indian market. Though safe structure is different from a solid build, can't assess that without a crash test. His answer on whether it'll be offered for a GNCAP test or not is a vague one. Though if I were a betting man, I'd say it's safe to bet on Skoda's safety.
RoadMonkey is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th March 2021, 17:49   #305
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadMonkey View Post
Though if I were a betting man, I'd say it's safe to bet on Skoda's safety.
In 2014, when the 4th Gen City came out, I suggested it to quite a number of people since Honda always produced niggle free products. It was proven totally wrong!

In 2019, I suggested the Kia Seltos to a colleague, since a 20 lakh car has to be safe. Was proven wrong there too.

In today's highly competitive market, I would rather wait and watch. Carmakers are cutting costs like never before and I wouldn't believe any one of them, especially Skoda, however good the current management is. The fact that they vaguely answered the question is a big question mark in itself.
Turbohead is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 20th March 2021, 18:06   #306
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadTrippin View Post
Well said, but going by the increasing use of Hindi in advertising by most brands, they seem to think the market south of the Vindhyas doesn't really matter, which is odd given the relative affluence of the southern states.

I was hoping they'd go with Kosmiq from the relatively dull and uninspiring list, which has an 'Indian' sense to it but isn't from any one vernacular.
Sorry for the late check in.However could not resist to air my thought. First of all there is difference between Sanskrit and Hindi. As an Indian I feel that Skoda has honored us by choosing our ancient language for naming their modern machine. They have attempted to capture the essence of whole India in their advertisement and it feel they have succeeded in that.
das_ren_auto is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th March 2021, 18:18   #307
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadMonkey View Post
He would not say anything else, to be fair. You should check the reviews of the pre production media drive. Almost all of the reviewers said that the build quality was what we expect from VAG cars and not diluted for the Indian market. Though safe structure is different from a solid build, can't assess that without a crash test. His answer on whether it'll be offered for a GNCAP test or not is a vague one. Though if I were a betting man, I'd say it's safe to bet on Skoda's safety.
True. Crash Test shall clear the doubts but the question is if and when.
Build quality is of paramount importance to me as my 2015 Jazz is better than Polo in terms of space and other characteristics but the lacklustre engine and the pathetic body structure is something that pains me a lot. It is such a bad car that I have never seen any Jazz that doesn't have a dent.
ankitbhutoria is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2021, 18:23   #308
BHPian

Enthusiasts in us want Skoda to succeed and challenge the duopoly of Koreans siblings. Kushaq looks exactly like Skoda but I dont think that's all. I happened to show the pictures of Kushaq, from the world premier event, to many of my friends, almost all replied 'looks neat&good but what's so special ?' and I didn't have answer. I think sales of Creta/Seltos will not even dent by any margin because of Kushaq.

May be I am biased as I own VW Polo 1.5 TD and VW EOS 2.0 TSI, Kushaq looks good to me but compact dimensions may upset majority of SUV buyers in India who basically want road presence. I just cant understand, apart from technical reasons, why Skoda kept the compact dimensions if the idea was to go against Creta and others ?

Going by the interviews of Zac and Gurupratap, Kushaq may not undercut Koreans as Skoda thinks they are premium offering in India.
enginesoul is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2021, 19:14   #309
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by enginesoul View Post
May be I am biased as I own VW Polo 1.5 TD and VW EOS 2.0 TSI, Kushaq looks good to me but compact dimensions may upset majority of SUV buyers in India who basically want road presence. I just cant understand, apart from technical reasons, why Skoda kept the compact dimensions if the idea was to go against Creta and others ?
Quoting Zac's exact words on the dimensions from the launch event:

Quote:
"It has optimum dimensions for India driving conditions. It is a practical fit for all cities and towns, allowing you to tread your way through traffic or finding parking spots easily. (Skipped one line here on ground clearance). But the compactness of the outside doesn't impact you on the inside. Because here is the magical bit - The Skoda Kushaq has the longest wheelbase in this segment."
Based on the above statement of calling it out explicitly that it is compact, I am of the opinion that Skoda has intentionally designed it to be compact.
Old 20th March 2021, 19:36   #310
BHPian

Looks like the Kushaq will creat a new segment in between the Venue/Sonet and Creta/Seltos.
Will have the buyer who has always preferred a Skoda/VW for their build quality and timeless designs. There are mixed reviews. Few have mentioned the average finish for the switches of the roof light, power windows,no insulation under the hood,etc.
Overall a good buy but most people prefer road presence which this surely lacks.
Should be able to manage 1500-2000 if priced right.

Last edited by hareshjethwani : 20th March 2021 at 19:38.
Old 20th March 2021, 20:45   #311

Comparing with the rivals, IMO only digital MID seems to be missing which may affect the buying decision solely based on features comparison. judgement on the space will be better once we see it in showroom. The make or break for most would be the price. Skoda may lose out on a lot of customers if they do not price it right as considering the history of ASS of Skoda will also have an additional negative impact on the mindset of customers (even though Zac is trying well to change that mindset)
Old 20th March 2021, 21:59   #312
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hareshjethwani View Post
Looks like the Kushaq will creat a new segment in between the Venue/Sonet and Creta/Seltos.
And it's a very tough gap, if at all, to fill in. How can Skoda influence someone to stop jumping to Seltos if it's just a shade away in pricing?

There has been a lot of discussion wherein folks have been asking if it's better to opt for a mid variant Seltos compared to top spec Sonet. Honestly, I doubt if Kushaq can slot in this dilemma. If someone is ready to jump from Sonet to Kushaq hypothetically, in all probability he will jump from Kushaq to Seltos as well.

The product has to have some differentiation for it to stand a chance in Venue/Sonet/Seltos/Creta arena. The only chink in this quartet is safety but the brand pull is very high. On the other side, Kushaq may be safe but Skoda has multiple fronts to cater to. I have said it earlier that there is not a single feature or attribute that Kushaq has over the competition. Unless priced aggressively like Magnite did to the segment, this car will not end up as a volume cruncher.
headbanger is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2021, 00:11   #313
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headbanger View Post
And it's a very tough gap, if at all, to fill in. How can Skoda influence someone to stop jumping to Seltos if it's just a shade away in pricing?

There has been a lot of discussion wherein folks have been asking if it's better to opt for a mid variant Seltos compared to top spec Sonet. Honestly, I doubt if Kushaq can slot in this dilemma. If someone is ready to jump from Sonet to Kushaq hypothetically, in all probability he will jump from Kushaq to Seltos as well.

The product has to have some differentiation for it to stand a chance in Venue/Sonet/Seltos/Creta arena. The only chink in this quartet is safety but the brand pull is very high. On the other side, Kushaq may be safe but Skoda has multiple fronts to cater to. I have said it earlier that there is not a single feature or attribute that Kushaq has over the competition. Unless priced aggressively like Magnite did to the segment, this car will not end up as a volume cruncher.
I hope Kushaq is priced well too.

But in comparison to Creta / Seltos it seems to have :
Better performance (1.5)
Better gearbox (dsg)
Class leading ride / handling (as per reviews)
Better build quality
Better looks (personal)
Better safety

The only areas where it looses to the Hyundai group is equipment and space.
Old 21st March 2021, 00:37   #314
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by das_ren_auto View Post
Sorry for the late check in.However could not resist to air my thought. First of all there is difference between Sanskrit and Hindi. As an Indian I feel that Skoda has honored us by choosing our ancient language for naming their modern machine.
Sanskrit is an Indo-European /Indo-Aryan language, it's origin is not from here, Hindi too share similar origins .

Skoda can use whatever name they wish of course, appropriate or not.
Kosfactor is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 21st March 2021, 00:55   #315
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spkrnh View Post
I hope Kushaq is priced well too.

But in comparison to Creta / Seltos it seems to have :
Better performance (1.5)
Better gearbox (dsg)
Class leading ride / handling (as per reviews)
Better build quality
Better looks (personal)
Better safety

The only areas where it looses to the Hyundai group is equipment and space.
I will give you the safety point as of today - the car hasn't been tested yet. Had the DSG been so good, the story for Skoda would have been the other way around since a long time. As for the engine, I am waiting for some insights to flow into for the 1.5L. There is a quote from a senior member couple of pages back about 1.5L not being revv happy and should not be considered in the same league as 1.8L or 2.0L TSI from Skoda. Fingers crossed!!!

We, in the closed enclosures of TBHP enlightenment may agree on Kushaq being a superior proposition, but out there in the real world of conflicted dilemmas of aspirations and VFMs, the yardsticks are totally different.

I can share my own example. All I need is a safe, automatic petrol and a little fun to drive car that just holds its line. All the other aesthetics associated to a car is secondary. Let's just say that I prefer to talk my heart out if someone is accompanying me in the drive or just cherish the wind or tyres talking to the road driving alone- 8 or 10 inches of screen or the Bose or JBLs don't play any role for me. Pretty old school - Some folks on TBHP may be able to connect with me.

Now my better half wants a dapper looking, high seated, status worthy, full of features kinda car and the JBLs, sun/moon or interplanetary roof in car matters to her. She is absolutely right in asking me why I am waiting for Kushaq against hot Seltos or the car of the season Creta. And for whatever my communication skills are, I haven't been able to make a case for the safe or fun to drive argument for Kushaq. Had it not been for a long 3-4 months waiting period of these cars, Kushaq would not have been even in contention.

Majority of the real world which contributes to the bottom line of the manufacturer's financial sheets shares the decision making logic similar to how my family members think. And that's where I strongly feel that the success of Kushaq is squarely dependent upon pricing alone. There aren't many out there who just plonk 10 or 15 big ones for a safe car which holds its line.

In no way, I intend to sound pessimistic about Kushaq's prospects or how people make their car buying decisions. I want Skoda to succeed with this attempt and safety being the top priority in a car buying decision. All I am trying to state is that Kushaq needs a solid differentiator for it to make its case else its just a me too entrant in the category. Now that we have a peek into the car via strip teased premiers, it's clear that the only ace up Skoda's sleeve is pricing which is yet to be released. On the feature front, it either loses out or just manages to touch what the market leaders have already.

Last edited by headbanger : 21st March 2021 at 00:57.
headbanger is offline   (5) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks