Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 23rd March 2021, 10:34   #376
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Skoda Kushaq | A Close Look & Preview

Quote:
Originally Posted by niranjanprabhu View Post
The variant on display was the 1.0 TSI and hence I feel the rear discs were not present. Even the brochure is an initial marketing doc without a detailed variant wise spec sheet. I have a feeling the 1.5 TSI will be endowed with rear discs as well
The red Kushaq which was present on the stage at the day of the unveil was the 1.5TSI DSG and it had rear drum brakes.
CEF_Beasts is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2021, 10:34   #377
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
I believe this is a very smart move by VW/Skoda. The Kushaq/Taigun are basically a size smaller than the typical compact SUVs. But slightly larger than the ubiquitous sub4m SUVs. Effectively - these are in a niche territory of their own. Priced right - these cars can give the premium badge, feel & appeal at a price lower than incumbents but within quick reach from the sub4m cars.

IMO with a single car, Skoda (and VW) is basically targeting to salami-slice into 2 segments. Simply clever for sure.
They are bringing in their own offerings in the extremely hot 4 meter SUV market later this year. Its a segment growing at 50% CAGR YoY and can never be ignored. The Kushaq and the Taigun get taxed at 28% GST + 17% CESS. The 4 meter cars get taxed at 28% GST and 1% CESS. So its not possible to straddle the two segments using one offering. Yes the fact that they are a size smaller than the Creta/Seltos would mean that they are looking at pricing it as close to the Korean twins as possible.
Old 23rd March 2021, 10:34   #378
BHPian

The 1.5 TSI + DQ200 sounds like a lethal combo in terms of driving experience and also long term reliability. Two very complex beasts mated together, one with poor history. I wonder how patchy it's ownership would be over a span of 10 years.

Seems like the most sensible upgrade from my EcoSport so id be keen on keeping it for 8+ years.
Taha Mir is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2021, 10:42   #379
BHPian

Re: The Skoda Kushaq crossover, now unveiled!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG Power View Post
The 1.5 TSI belongs to the EA 211 family but there is no EA 211 1.5 TSI. The 1.5 TSI has had the EA 211 EVO nomenclature from inception.

The 1.5 TSI is the 1.4 TSI engine with a longer stroke. This has given it torque at lower rpms.
Thank you that was very informative. I am just wondering why those that are reviewing this very same engine abroad say that it is a decently quick and quiet engine. I really do not care too much for in terms of equipment in a car as long as it has a strong engine, road manners and safety. Even if one were to consider a Taigun with the same engine and its noisy and not fun, perhaps many may go back to the drawing board while considering their next purchase from these two cars.
Old 23rd March 2021, 11:01   #380
Distinguished - BHPian

Here is a detailed Drive review of the Kamiq with the 1.5 TSI + DSG combination.

We can also see some differences that the Kamiq has from the Kushaq
1) Much lower GC (Kamiq)
2) Headlamp and DRL design is different from Kushaq
3) Floor Hump of the Kamiq is much higher
4) Boot space separator provided (to make boot floor level with loading lip, but this reduces boot space drastically)
5) Some simply clever features in Kamiq which have been deleted in Kushaq - Door Protectors, Umbrella in door
6) Digital Driver Information system (In Kamiq)
7) Sport seats in this variant of Kamiq
8) Adaptive suspension with Sports mode
9) Other safety features: Blind spot detection, lane assist
10) Three spoke steering (kamiq) instead of two

The Shown variant of the Kamiq costs a whopping 38K Euro!
Base Kamiq Starts at 18K Euro with 1L TSI. With 1.5 L TSI it starts from 26K Euro.

Last edited by Behemoth : 23rd March 2021 at 11:25.
Old 23rd March 2021, 11:20   #381
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by niranjanprabhu View Post
They are bringing in their own offerings in the extremely hot 4 meter SUV market later this year.....
Where did you get this information? There is no such CUV from the group till 2023.
Old 23rd March 2021, 11:23   #382
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
[*]Didn't like the placement of the woofer inside spare-wheel. Don't think its the most efficient acoustic design.
Don't think the placement is a cause for concern, if the equipment in itself is decent. Volkswagen likes their spare mounted woofers and even premium cars like the Golf R, the Altas etc features this arrangement.

Here is the system in the Atlas, the only real difference is the brand and a liner between the two to make it look better.

Skoda Kushaq | A Close Look & Preview-img10620360381522686429814.jpg
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2021, 11:37   #383
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Don't think the placement is a cause for concern, if the equipment in itself is decent. Volkswagen likes their spare mounted woofers and even premium cars like the Golf R, the Altas etc features this arrangement.

Here is the system in the Atlas, the only real difference is the brand and a liner between the two to make it look better.

Attachment 2135989
The system is not for SQ, it is for efficient usage of space. Inside a plastic box does not help at all.

However this is still better than having on the boot lid which is prone to a lot of rattles in long term.

The bass with this spare wheel sub in plastic enclosure is not deep tight bass. It's a bit muddled but if you keep bass levels low and you are not a bass head it works well.

If you want boom boom bass then this is not the solution. This merely accentuates the bass from the door speakers and not for deep thump.
Vid6639 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2021, 11:38   #384
BHPian

A lot of people are hopeful that Kushaq is going to score a good safety ratings (I would want it too so it can take away sales from Koreans and maybe they will learn a lesson), however, I have burned my hands assuming car is going to be safe because it has scored good ratings in non India models (Seltos scored 5 stars in much stringent Australian NCAP) or Manufacturer is going to make it safe as it going to be their make or break models.

I now fear anything localized to reduce the cost would most likely compromise on safety. Many factors contribute to it but no point dwelling on them here.

I would say, let it crash test and then everyone should prove/ disapprove their hypothesis.

Best of luck to Skoda and hope they are able to get good market share with their India 2.0!
Mountainman21 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2021, 11:42   #385
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Didn't like the placement of the woofer inside spare-wheel. Don't think its the most efficient acoustic design.
This also contributes to the tools lying around in the boot instead of in the middle of the wheel where they would normally go.
McLaren Rulez is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2021, 12:15   #386
Senior - BHPian

Polo Turbo edition has
1L TSI engine+6 speed gear box+ACC+fog lamps+alloy wheels (it also has few bling accessories like spoiler, seat cover, piano black mirrors) and the price is 7 Lakhs ex-showroom.

add 50k for tax additions (<4m vs 4.25m)
add 50k for amortised R&D cost per car for MQB A0 IN platform
add 1L for material cost, sales, and marketing overheads per car
add 50 K premium for worldwide SUV craze cost

Total comes around 9.5L ex-showroom for the base Active variant. This variant does not even have alloy wheels and ACC (which Polo has). Skoda should price base variant ~9.5L and I will be at Skoda dealer on booking opening date (4AM) to reserve mine if they do so.

Last edited by Latheesh : 23rd March 2021 at 12:30. Reason: Typo
Latheesh is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2021, 12:17   #387
BHPian

In one of the Powerdrift videos, it was mentioned that the 1.5l TSI engine comes with the cylinder deactivation technology. Any confirmation on that and am sure that would be contributing to the fuel efficiency figures. Which cars have this feature and how effective is the tech. I feel its a very good feature to have and would serve customers very well if implemented well.
Old 23rd March 2021, 12:25   #388
BHPian

Bought the Creta 1.4 on Dusshera last year and I was afraid that FOMO would kick-in after the Kushaq reveal. No FOMO at all!

Creta scores over Kushaq on:

1. Features- EPB with Auto hold, Pano sunroof, Electric driver seat adjustment, inbuilt air purifier etc.

2. Reliability - Hyundai may have some issues with its DCT but I'll buy it over the infamous DQ200 anyday.

3. Service cost & experience - Enough said. If the company CEO has to take matters into his own hands on Twitter it just shows how little faith he has in Skoda's own system.
Old 23rd March 2021, 12:26   #389
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
The system is not for SQ, it is for efficient usage of space.
Agreed. Good one too IMHO, especially with the claimed figure for boot capacity already raising so many eyebrows!

For deep, tight bass - I would anyday prefer a wooden, large, sealed (no boom boom for me) enclosure - but such a setup would have left the Kushaq with a boot similar to hatchbacks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
This also contributes to the tools lying around in the boot instead of in the middle of the wheel where they would normally go.
Also another by-product of being the smallest car in the segment with a larger than most wheelbase - cars like the Seltos / Creta have wasted space in the wheel well would could be used for keeping tools, cleaning stuff etc hidden away from view.

Skoda Kushaq | A Close Look & Preview-2021skodakushaq66.jpg

Skoda Kushaq | A Close Look & Preview-2020hyundaicreta48.jpg

There is also negligible space towards either sides, whereas Creta/Seltos provides slots for storage there as well.

Skoda Kushaq | A Close Look & Preview-2021skodakushaq62.jpg

Skoda Kushaq | A Close Look & Preview-2020hyundaicreta35.jpg

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 23rd March 2021 at 12:35.
Old 23rd March 2021, 12:37   #390
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by muni View Post
In one of the Powerdrift videos, it was mentioned that the 1.5l TSI engine comes with the cylinder deactivation technology. Any confirmation on that and am sure that would be contributing to the fuel efficiency figures. Which cars have this feature and how effective is the tech. I feel its a very good feature to have and would serve customers very well if implemented well.
The T-Roc available in India has the same 1.5L TSi EVO that will be used in the Kushaq as well.
Quote:
The T-Roc is equipped with Volkswagen’s unique Active Cylinder Technology (ACT), which deactivates two out of the four cylinders of the engine when it senses a relaxed driving pattern or basis the required rpm.
CEF_Beasts is online now   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks