Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 1st April 2021, 20:50   #496
Senior - BHPian

Re: Skoda Kushaq | A Close Look & Preview

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramki.grandhi View Post
This zigwheels video says, prices may start 9 lacs.
Polo GT is close to 10 lacs ex showroom Bangalore (Highline Plus manual is 8.4). If Kushaq or Taigan is available for 9 lacs (ex showroom), I can see many potential buyers of Polo TSI switching to one of these cars. Agree that Polo is a hot hatchback with it's own advantages but with the same money you get a car which is nearly equally fun to drive but which is also modern and practical. I myself have been thinking about the Polo GT for sometime but now a competitively priced Kushaq/Taigun can open up new possibilities

Last edited by Guna : 1st April 2021 at 20:56.
Old 1st April 2021, 21:01   #497
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
Polo GT is close to 10 lacs ex showroom Bangalore (Highline Plus manual is 8.4). If Kushaq or Tiguan is available for 9 lacs (ex showroom), I can see many potential buyers of Polo TSI switching to one of these cars.
Not sure if this is a right comparison, i.e. with polo. Because polo is better loaded even from base variant. I've strong feeling that Skoda might introduce Kushaq at 9.99 ex showroom for base variant as the Rapid(rider) is priced at 7.8.

2.2 lacs more for similar size car is a reasonable ask, I guess. Unless VW group becomes little greedy. From one of Zac's interviews, I hear that Skoda is targeting really big numbers with Kushaq. And that's not going to happen with Kushaq if they price above Seltos/Creta, as it is smaller car.

Does anyone know, how % for Rapid is localized?

Last edited by ramki.grandhi : 1st April 2021 at 21:02.
Old 5th April 2021, 08:16   #498
BHPian

A quick question folks. The height of 1612 mm - is it inclusive of the roof rails or without it ?

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 11th April 2021 at 14:17. Reason: Please refrain from typing with unwanted dots... like... this... Thanks.
Old 5th April 2021, 08:48   #499
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer1988 View Post
A quick question folks. The height of 1612 mm - is it inclusive of the roof rails or without it ?
Inclusive of the roof-rails.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 11th April 2021 at 14:17. Reason: Quoted post edited.
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2021, 11:41   #500
BHPian

My experience with the Karoq from the inside was that it had similar space as compared to my Compass or Seltos.

Don't see how they will extract space here while reducing the size.

Last edited by ajaiD : 5th April 2021 at 11:42.
Old 5th April 2021, 11:57   #501
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaiD View Post
My experience with the Karoq from the inside was that it had similar space as compared to my Compass or Seltos.

While the dimensions are smaller, the wheelbase of the Kushaq is actually longer than the Karoq. That plus a smaller boot should result in good interior space.
Width remains an issue though but I don't see knee-room being a problem.
Old 5th April 2021, 11:58   #502
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaiD View Post

The ways to increase the interior size of a car are quite easy and in the case of the Kushaq what they have done is:
1) Reduce the front engine bay size, as it only needs to accomodate 1L and 1.5 L Tsi engines which are smaller than the 2L Tsi or larger TDI engines which the Karoq is designed for.

2) Reduce the rake angle of the windshield (compared to Compass) and make it slightly more upright. This frees up space horizontally.

3) reduce the interior protrusion of the dashboard to increase cabin space and also the interior protrusions from the doors to increase seat width.

4) give a fully sunken spare wheel recess to free up more usable boot space. karoq does not have a fully sunken spare wheel well and that wastes boot space when the boot floor is so raised.

5) reduce the height of the transmission hump as Kushaq will never have 4x4 and does not need a tall hump.

These are some of the design aspects that many current cars are following and have managed to liberate great space inside the cabin.
To give some examples:
Honda Jazz
Renault Triber
Nissam Magnite
Renault Kiger

Last edited by Behemoth : 5th April 2021 at 12:03.
Behemoth is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 5th April 2021, 14:29   #503
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
The ways to increase the interior size of a car are quite easy and in the case of the Kushaq what they have done is:
1) Reduce the front engine bay size, as it only needs to accomodate 1L and 1.5 L Tsi engines which are smaller than the 2L Tsi or larger TDI engines which the Karoq is designed for.

2) Reduce the rake angle of the windshield (compared to Compass) and make it slightly more upright. This frees up space horizontally.

These are some of the design aspects that many current cars are following and have managed to liberate great space inside the cabin.
To give some examples:
Honda Jazz
I agree. It really calls for good engineering to manage interior space with exterior constraints.
I have a Honda Jazz and it is under 4M, but the amount of interior space is amazing, including the boot space. I never faced issues with boot capacity for a long-weekend trip (family of 4 to 5). Hopefully, Kushaq also delivers all the interior space to consider it as a perfect upgrade to my Jazz...!!!
Old 5th April 2021, 15:03   #504
BHPian

More than legroom, it is the width that seems to be a cause for concern. The body itself is ever so slightly narrower than an Ecosport which is infamous for its tight rear bench. All journos have already said it is mostly a 4 seater and the 5th passenger would not be comfortable.
Old 5th April 2021, 17:23   #505
BHPian

Spotted one kushaq without the camouflage near Skoda plant in chakan. Couldn't click as was on bike. And as expected road presence is pretty average. Just a bit better than Magnite. Doesn't stand out the way korean twins did when launched. Skoda have to price this aggressively.
RD150 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th April 2021, 20:31   #506
BHPian

The assumption that road presence and price should be highly correlated has a lot of currency amongst us

It just struck me a while back that Venue doesn't have a lot of road presence. Infact it has the worst road presence in the segment especially from the rear. From the front it looks quite buch. It is not also priced at a discount and yet sells really well, outselling most of its rival. Kushaq is similar - front looks are more imposing than the one from the back. It may do a Venue on sales too (i.e. relative to Skoda's numbers, it can never do 8-10 thousand units a month). As an allied thought, if road presence were so material, Duster would have sold much much more than the boxy Creta as well as Seltos.

Last edited by abhishek_hch : 5th April 2021 at 20:36.
abhishek_hch is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th April 2021, 20:38   #507
Senior - BHPian

I'm confused. Is this car going to be pitted against Venue and Sonet? All along I was thinking it to be in Creta league
Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek_hch View Post
It just struck me a while back that Venue doesn't have a lot of road presence. Infact it has the worst road presence in the segment especially from the rear. From the front it looks quite buch. It is not also priced at a discount and yet sells really well, outselling most of its rival.

Last edited by Sebring : 5th April 2021 at 20:40.
Old 5th April 2021, 20:47   #508
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
I'm confused. Is this car going to be pitted against Venue and Sonet? All along I was thinking it to be in Creta league
I had used the words - in the segment, should have rather used its in place of the. Let me explain to clear my views.

Venue sells really well despite looking like an i20 from behind. Brezza, Sonet, Magnite et al look much more buch. Yet Venue which is pitted against them (and not i20) sells really well in that segment.

Similarly, Kushaq ultimately may not have the road presence of its rivals that it is pitted against (Creta, Seltos et al) and yet can manage to sell well.

Venue in its segment & Kushaq in its segment - the two don't intersect.
Old 5th April 2021, 20:59   #509
Senior - BHPian

Venue, Brezza, Sonet cater to a 'utilitarian segment'. The buyers genuinely need a comfortable car, that can also lug a bit of luggage - with good ground clearance to escape the 'City's lunar landscape' (Main reason). When it comes to Creta, Seltos etc style does creep into the equation. People want to make a noticeable entry. These are purely my thoughts on this, you may differ.
Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek_hch View Post
I had used the words - in the segment, should have rather used its in place of the. Let me explain to clear my views. Venue sells really well despite looking like an i20 from behind. Brezza, Sonet, Magnite et al look much more buch. Yet Venue which is pitted against them (and not i20) sells really well in that segment.
Sebring is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th April 2021, 21:23   #510
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Venue, Brezza, Sonet cater to a 'utilitarian segment'. The buyers genuinely need a comfortable car, that can also lug a bit of luggage - with good ground clearance to escape the 'City's lunar landscape' (Main reason).
Well currently I am a willing & eager buyer in this segment ! Have been in the market for sometime to buy an automatic CSUV/SUV. Test drove the Venue DCT when launched - liked the drive but didn't like a few other things (not road presence though ). Then came Seltos, fell in love with it. I actually booked it but lockdown kicked in just before delivery. I have postponed my buy since but will most likely get a car home this year. And I am very much interested in Kushaq.

It will most likely offer me - better driving dynamics, better rear seat leg room, a more balanced ride quality, ESC, rear seat head rests, split seats, better build quality & may offer me more airbags & hill hold etc. for the same price. Things I am really interested in and won't get in a Seltos HTK+. I am willing to trade this for size and boot space. Seltos NCAP rating also weighs on the mind.

ASS and FE in bumper to bumper Bangalore traffic remain the only imponderables for me. But who knows the scale may tilt in Kushaqs favor for me & I am sure there would be many others like me not obsessed with just the road presence.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks