Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 31st May 2021, 13:48   #646
BANNED

Re: Skoda Kushaq | A Close Look & Preview

Mod Note : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further. Request to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 31st May 2021 at 14:11.
s.jain1990 is offline   Received Infraction
Old 31st May 2021, 14:12   #647
BHPian

I guess most such comparisons (the ones questioning the segment the car is placed in) are mostly done to justify ridiculous price expectations. It's like 'yeah the car may be good and all or not, but since the manufacturer is struggling with volume, the only thing it should play on is the price. And bang! I have a deal & a winner for myself on hand' Theres a lot of blow hot & blow cold stuff also going around - enamoured by the car, closely watching it but will keep panning it nonetheless in expectation of a lower price.

If I remember correctly once there was a post comparing the car to premium hatchbacks also! As for myself, I won't be surprised to one day see a post comparing the car to an Alto and asking for it to be similarly priced!
abhishek_hch is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2021, 15:49   #648
BHPian

Thank you @yesyeswe for a thoughtful and balanced response. I agree with all the points you have mentioned.
You have very rightly put the point that I was trying to make.

Most of the features that Kushaq banks on are going to appeal to the enthusiasts. The focus is more on the engine than on space so more on driver's enjoyment than the family's comfort.
If the idea behind this car and this new platform of Skoda/VW was to capture the mass market, then the car falls short or rather to put it in a more politically correct way, there is still room for improvement.

From safety perspective, let's wait for the NCAP rating before we say anything on the "Indianised" version of the platform. If safety indeed was the core of the offering, I would have at least expected disc brakes on the rear wheels.

The point I am trying to make is that since Skoda/VW are a late entrant to the race, they could have brought a more complete product to the market.

I also agree to your last point, let's wait for the car to launch officially and wait for the reviews to comment further.
a.bhatt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st May 2021, 15:57   #649
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek_hch View Post

If I remember correctly once there was a post comparing the car to premium hatchbacks also! As for myself, I won't be surprised to one day see a post comparing the car to an Alto and asking for it to be similarly priced!
Well when you notice that both Alto and Kushaq will seat only 4 people comfortably and Alto has a better fuel economy and better service network, even the base models engines are 1000 cc in both the cars moreover the weight is less as well due to use of carbon fiber by Maruti and even then it cots less! I guess you know which car is winner here
yesyeswe is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 31st May 2021, 16:06   #650
Senior - BHPian

Surprising that the Kushaq and Taigun are suggested 4 seaters in all reviews where the City which is narrower than both can comfortably sit 5. Or is it Japanese engineering at its best or compromised side safety or just good packaging. These VW SUVs dont have much too much of curves of exterior doors as well which could potentially add to more exterior width.
Old 31st May 2021, 16:06   #651
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyas_H View Post
I am not sure I agree with what you are saying. The Kushaq, at 4225 mm is just 75 mm shorter than the Creta, but over 230 mm longer than the Nexon / Brezza.
The Nexon is wider than the Creta too. The Brezza is just as wide as the Creta and actually taller than it too. So by your logic, we should start comparing Nexon and Brezza to the Creta as well?
Very well said. Keep seeing this comparison of Nexon and other sub 4m SUV’s being wider than Kushaq and hence it should be in sub 4m segment. But conveniently misses the fact that Nexon is wider than Creta and Seltos too
sunikkat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2021, 16:30   #652
BHPian

Be it X3 vs the Fortuner or the comparison with Alto, we can easily see that VFM cars get the volumes while the cars focusing on better driving dynamics get the praises from a small but important market of the enthusiasts.

Kushaq will be costlier than a segment below Brezza/Nexon and does not a have a clear differentiator/ competitive edge against Creta/Seltos. It will sit in between both these segments and will be one of the most popular enthusiast's car specially the 1.5 TSI.

Again, I am not saying that it should be priced cheaper, I am just saying that without being a clear VFM it would not a be a danger for the Korean twins.

I am only doubting the expectation that this car will be able to capture the mass market and turn around the fortunes of Skoda/VW in India.
Old 31st May 2021, 16:38   #653
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

The VW twins will be positioned straight against the Hyundai twins. There is no two ways about it. The dimensions of the cars in a segment will be +/- by a few centimeters but, for all practical purposes, this is the same segement as Creta/Kia. The Creta has been ruling the charts for 6 years without any competition in sight. Nissan Kicks tried and failed.

VW has the task of now balancing the price and features to get the market share from Hyundai. They just need to price it on par with Hyundai and harp on the better build quality for the same price. Very few people in India will pay additional money for better build quality.
m8002? is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st May 2021, 17:26   #654
BHPian

No doubt that Kushaq/Taigun will be great products, one thing which may stop them from being mass market cars is rear seat width.

It will be one of the best secondary car of the house, but may not be well suited for being only car in a household - that's where Creta\Seltos may still have an edge.
MaanSingh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st May 2021, 18:42   #655
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a.bhatt View Post
I am actually confused why do we keep comparing Kushaq to Creta/Seltos when it's dimensions are in line with Brezza and Nexon.

Considering that this is supposed to be a mass market offering with high volume expectations, I think Skoda has created a very confused proposition. Though their marketing team is trying hard to do the comparison with Creta/Seltos to justify a premium price, I look at this car as falling a segment below.

Bro, Ouch! Agree with all your points except the size comparison part. A comparison with S-Cross would have been more ideal to make this argument fair IMO. Still, The S-Cross is just a little longer and wider than Kushaq and trails in height. It even has a 5 star ASEAN NCAP safety rating for adults and 4 star for kids. Its price starts at around 8.5 ex-showroom in most places. Kushaq is more of a crossover than an SUV.

What you said could be correct that their marketing team is trying hard to justify a probable premium pricing. Some of that premium-ness we will straightaway agree for, once we test drive the 1.0 TSI(I loved the Rapid TSI which I did after a Seltos TD). But that Wow factor is negated by the horrible ASS reputation that they carry. Let us also assume that the usual new car niggles will be minimum too since a lot depends on this car for the group.

So let us hope that they price it correct. Else, like one of our friends in this thread suggested, I will consider the reliable and time tested Honda City as the go to car if SKODA charges a bomb premium for the drive quality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a.bhatt View Post
The point I am trying to make is that since Skoda/VW are a late entrant to the race, they could have brought a more complete product to the market.
Totally agreed . SKODA VW have repeatedly said that their aim is 5% market share in India by 2025 . If they want to achieve that number, they should definitely have come up with a more complete product especially since they had all the time in the world. Perhaps a couple of significant segment feature which would have made the customer sit up and notice. Again, the only justification is the drive quality which if aiming for volumes, may not come into play in herd mentality.
AnnaRocks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2021, 19:44   #656
BHPian

Is it just me?

I am thoroughly confused by the arguments above. I mean.. When did this comparison to Nexon/Brazza/etc start?

I think the Skoda twins will be well built per their standards. It will definitely impress the likes of me.

Will some value conscious buyer who will pick up the Korean twins move to these two based on size? May be not. But anyone who is worried about the safety will. I know NCAP scores are not yet out. The fact that the Koreans avoid talking about it alone is a good enough reason for ME to avoid them.

Going by size, 1ltr etc., Wagon R beats many cars
sheelapratosh is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2021, 21:09   #657
Senior - BHPian

Please note that Skoda had to price Rapid at ridiculous 7.45L to pull some customers to their showroom (lower than some hatchbacks and compact sedans). Note just base variants, higher variants too were sold at much lower than the list price. It also have the famous 1.0L TSI + 6 speed gearbox. What did they achieve? Whole 800 units per month sale! not to mention the "sold out" gimmicks. That is the reputation of brand Skoda in India.

It is a make or break product for Skoda in India. Price it higher, customers will reject it, and VW/Skoda group blame Indian customers before leaving the country.

Last edited by Latheesh : 31st May 2021 at 21:15.
Latheesh is online now   (11) Thanks
Old 31st May 2021, 21:28   #658
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
Please note that Skoda had to price Rapid at ridiculous 7.45L to pull some customers to their showroom (lower than some hatchbacks and compact sedans). Note just base variants, higher variants too were sold at much lower than the list price. It also have the famous 1.0L TSI + 6 speed gearbox. What did they achieve? Whole 800 units per month sale! not to mention the "sold out" gimmicks. That is the reputation of brand Skoda in India.
Don't think that the comparison is right. First, Rapid is a decade old car. If it is still pulling people to showroom, no matter what the offers are, that itself is a big thing. Second, look at the segment size. The whole segment size was just 7300 units in March 2021. The best seller is Honda City, with 2500 units. Ciaz sold 1500 units. Now if a decade old Rapid has a share of 10% in the segment with 750 units and less than 80 functional dealerships, it is definitely a good number.

But yes, I completely agree that Skoda doesn't have a good reputation among buyers. But what Skoda has achieved with Rapid Rider is pretty good (consistent 700 units per month) and the team itself is proud of that. Zac Hollis himself calls it a success.
udaikalra01 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 31st May 2021, 21:33   #659
Distinguished - BHPian

Given the way that raw material prices have drastically risen in the past 3 months, it is highly unlikely that Skoda will be able to price the Kushaq aggressively. As an example, Polycarbonate raw material has gone from 140/kg to 290/kg. Also Copper LME rates have increased by over 30%. Similarly most other input costs have gone up a lot. So earlier (pre Feb) if Skoda was planning to launch the car in the 10-17 lacs range, they may just need to revise to 12-19 lacs range (ex showroom). This drastic raw material price increase is really hitting companies hard apart from the shutdowns that have been required due to Covid in the second wave.
Behemoth is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 31st May 2021, 21:35   #660
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
Please note that Skoda had to price Rapid at ridiculous 7.45L to pull some customers to their showroom (lower than some hatchbacks and compact sedans). Note just base variants, higher variants too were sold at much lower than the list price. It also have the famous 1.0L TSI + 6 speed gearbox. What did they achieve? Whole 800 units per month sale! not to mention the "sold out" gimmicks. That is the reputation of brand Skoda in India
Honestly 800 units per month for a car which is decade old is quiet an achievement, where as other cars in the segment had seen minimum 2 generations. Not to forget they also do not have diesel in the line up.

Last edited by sunikkat : 31st May 2021 at 21:36. Reason: Spelling mistake
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks