Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 22nd March 2021, 19:35   #361
Team-BHP Support

Re: Skoda Kushaq | A Close Look & Preview

Quote:
Originally Posted by rish_arora View Post
So we need to remove the subwoofer in order to use the spare. I hope the process is not cumbersome
Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Knowing 'Simply Clever' Skoda, it will be something like this designed to fit under the overturned spare wheel:

https://www.amazon.in/Pioneer-TS-WX6.../dp/B003USW08E
It's super simple to remove the sub. One small electrical connector needs to be unplugged and a plastic cap needs to be opened up to take the sub out. Takes less than 10 seconds to get the sub out of the car.

I know this because the same is in my Kodiaq seen below:

Skoda Kushaq | A Close Look & Preview-2017skodakodiaq37.jpg
Vid6639 is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2021, 20:07   #362
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Skoda Kushaq crossover, now unveiled!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
Remember, the Taigun launch comes right afterwards. My guess is they have left out these features to give the Taigun some differentiation as well as price it higher, well into the top end Seltos/Creta territory.
Just saw the article that went on-line now on Autocar site, as I had anticipated, Taigun will be positioned at the premium end of the mid-size SUV segment.

VW Taigun to be priced at the premium end of the mid-size SUV segment

https://www.autocarindia.com/car-new...segment-420285
84.monsoon is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2021, 20:21   #363
BHPian

Excellent build quality and great 1.5L TSI engine. The only drag is the DQ200 gearbox. Given German engineering, I am sure they would have sorted out the DQ200 issues by now. Good engineering is fixing issues and making things better. I would not worry too much about the DQ200 gearbox.
Old 22nd March 2021, 20:25   #364
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
I know this because the same is in my Kodiaq seen below:
How is the spare held down to the body ? In many cars, it is held in the centre with a screwable bolt kind of thing.

Basically, the area inside the hollow must be full available for the sub.
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2021, 20:28   #365
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
How is the spare held down to the body ? In many cars, it is held in the centre with a screwable bolt kind of thing.

Basically, the area inside the hollow must be full available for the sub.
The cap in the middle holds the spare and secures the sub both.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2021, 20:55   #366
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevGin View Post
Quick question here. On the Kushaq, do they have the EA211 1.5 TSI or the EA211 1.5 TSI EVO?
The 1.5 TSI belongs to the EA 211 family but there is no EA 211 1.5 TSI. The 1.5 TSI has had the EA 211 EVO nomenclature from inception.

The 1.5 TSI is the 1.4 TSI engine with a longer stroke. This has given it torque at lower rpms.
AMG Power is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2021, 21:36   #367
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post

VW Taigun to be priced at the premium end of the mid-size SUV segment

https://www.autocarindia.com/car-new...segment-420285
This makes so much sense as some earlier online articles had suggested these two siblings will be pitted against each other with each having some differentiation on the features offered between them. For ex, the rumours were Taigun will not have ventilated seats which Kushaq has but it will offer a Panoramic sunroof which Kushaq doesn't have etc. The below article mentions ventilated seats for Taigun which I am not sure whether it is just a typo by the author of that article , so I am really looking forward to 24th March Taigun unveil.

https://www.cartoq.com/vw-taigun-suv-unveil/

Overall this is a good news for buyers who were looking for a complete package instead of forced to pick either one and this is a better strategy from the VAG group asking for a premium for a better package rather than mixing-matching features between two siblings and not making any offering a complete one in true sense.
viscosity is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2021, 22:30   #368
Senior - BHPian

Welcome to India, Skoda! Finally the strategy that the VAG group should have started with. But better late than never.

Skoda showed it's hand in the pricing of the Skoda Rapid and looks set to take the Kushaq in that direction. Excellent product if you compare the direction of the Skoda product line in it's history so far.

I have mixed feelings about this though. On one hand I feel happy that Skoda is finally getting it's act together. Though terrifically priced the Rapid's age was a drawback, literally a geriatric between all the feisty toddlers in it's class. This though is a completely new platform with an excellent selection of power trains.

However on the other hand I look at the competition and it is evident that the game has moved on. The feature list looks a bit limited for what could be possibly a 20 lakh SUV at which point it pushed the value envelope.

A traditional achilles heel of budget offerings from the VAG group has been addressed which is leg room and rear seat space. However even offerings like the Nissan Magnite have shown what is possible at low prices. Panoramic sun roofs, a big draw at this segment are unavailable. Boot space is not class leading. Features are not dry like the previous models but are not a riot either.

What I love about the strategy though is how Skoda is using the depth of expertise in the power train engineering to differentiate their cars by offering engines that are engineered way better than the competition. Personally I am chuffed that they are offering a manual with their more fun to drive engine. But is pivoting to manual as well going to get them sales when automatics are gaining traction. I also feel that with Europe going the electric way we may see a lot of fun to drive IC engines come our way. But if the electric bug catches on in India faster than expected, this strategy might come a cropper. And it is no different from their age old tactic of gaining ROI from technologies that are rapidly becoming obsolete in their more advanced markets.

In a nutshell what I am saying I guess and going by a lot of comments so far, it is just not such a gamechanger as many of us hoped it would be. It is not really showing us anything that we haven't already seen in the segment. A little less maybe.

The pricing I feel is key. 18 lakhs for the top i think is the max they can price it at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
Ingress & egress are easy. The rear bench is placed at a decent height as well. However, the width is too less for three adults to feel comfortable. It's more suitable for two adults and a child. A center armrest has been provided.
Unfortunately if you are using a child seat you definitely want the rear bench to seat 3 adults.

Personally I may been looking out for the Octavia 1.5L with a manual shift if priced reasonably well.

Drive on,
Shibu.
shibujp is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2021, 22:42   #369
BHPian

Wow! It's great to see Skoda taking India's CSUV market seriously unlike some other manufacturers (Honda, Toyota). Now as far as the Kushaq, here's a few takeaways & what I feel:

1. Looks - I'm sure the Seltos/Creta will look more butch/brawny than the Kushaq. Skoda could have overstyled it, but its got the right amount of bling without being too over the top. This isn't the swashbuckling Seltos by any means, but it still is classy.
Outright Street presence- No sir!
Restrained European looks- in spades!

2. Price - Introductory prices will be the "Magnite" that will attract people to the showroom. (Sorry I just had to...) It will be interesting to see how Skoda prices the 1.0 tsi. The 1.5 on the other hand will sit nicely in the mid & top end models. Might be wishful thinking but a 9.99L Active base introductory price would shake up the Compact suv segment.

3. Performance of the 1.0 tsi - The Creta is about 180kgs heavier than the Verna. But the Kushaq being smaller in dimensions than most of the competition, it should relatively be about 120-140 kgs heavier than the Rapid. So will the 1.0 tsi in the Kushaq be as much fun as it is on the Rapid/Vento? Maybe not, but by no means should the performance be "bland" or lackluster.

4. Ride & handling - Going by Skoda's past record & the pre production media drive reports, this will easily become the "drivers CSUV". In fact this would become a key selling point among the competition. This will be the go to drivers SUV & I'm willing bet on it!

5. Safety & Build quality - Yes, let's not jump into conclusions before the actual GNCAP results are out, but knowing Skoda we can expect they won't take shortcuts in this area.

6. Equipments - for those wanting all the gizmos, please look elsewhere. I'm really surprised to see a few members already counting the Kushaq out, just on the fact that it doesn't have a panoramic sunroof or a 360° camera or the other fancy gizmos.
Keep in mind the equipment list is by no means sparse on the Kushaq.
(rant alert) What else do you want in your car? An espresso machine with a PS5 along with a robotic arm to scratch your back?!! By no means do I find it less/sparsely equipped.

People who have shortlisted the Kushaq -think of this as a "raised VW Golf estate" and it will start to make good sense. If we read the dimensions, its just slightly taller than the S-Cross. Don't expect it to tower over the Cretas/Dusters and you will be just fine.

Keen drivers who are looking for a CSUV, your search probably ends here.

Last edited by John316_WRC : 22nd March 2021 at 22:43. Reason: added a sentence.
John316_WRC is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2021, 05:24   #370
BHPian

On a lighter note... its Kushaq everywhere, even in politics...

Skoda Kushaq | A Close Look & Preview-screen-shot-20210322-7.52.11-pm.png
enginesoul is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2021, 08:38   #371
BHPian

Is ground clearance of 188mm laden or unladen?
Old 23rd March 2021, 08:53   #372
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidban85 View Post
The official rule these days is to specify laden ground clearance and this should be the laden value, which is quite decent in my opinion.

https://gaadiwaadi.com/arai-declares...g-norm-838344/

https://www.team-bhp.com/news/arai-u...ment-standards

But we will finally know when they release the official specs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John316_WRC View Post
Wow
Keen drivers who are looking for a CSUV, your search probably ends here.
Correct, people who appreciate drive dynamics, engine response and good ride quality over bad roads will appreciate this car.
I for one feel that the fad value of gimmicks like 360 deg camera and panoramic sunroof get over very soon and what matters in the long run is the build quality and safety , the driving fun, the ease of use and dependability of the car. On these counts the Kushaq should do well and if Skoda consistently improve their service experience and reduce parts costs, they will do well.

Incidentally one the the first few cars to offer 360 degree cameras was the Nissan Kicks and that car literally bombed, inspite of being a good car with good diesel engine (at time of launch) and also having good drive dynamics. They just could not create any euphoria at the price where they had launched. But they learned their lesson and came back with a bang with Magnite which is doing well now. When even a manufacturer like Nissan which was badly struggling for many years can recover, I feel Skoda will also do fine in the segment they are in (value luxury!)

Last edited by Behemoth : 23rd March 2021 at 09:12.
Behemoth is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2021, 09:01   #373
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidban85 View Post
Should be unladen number. Laden figure is below 150 mm even for larger SUV like Tiguan.
Guna is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2021, 10:10   #374
Distinguished - BHPian

The car looks fine, there are nice engine + transmission combinations on offer for petrol lovers (of course these will be the USP besides solid build for this car). Plenty has been said about the pros already and I believe all of us like this car & want it to succeed. I would also root for this underdog against the Creta/Seltos combo currently ruling the segment.

Some items I feel worth noting -
  • Bummer that there is no diesel. India is still in love of diesel SUVs & a car with Kushaq's said dynamics sure deserved one.
  • The boot is really disappointing. Not really a "simply clever" implementation or design. Huge step when seats folded is quite one of a kind.
  • Didn't like the placement of the woofer inside spare-wheel. Don't think its the most efficient acoustic design.
  • Rear arm-rest finish & contours are very economy grade. So are quite a few visible areas of the plastics - in the center console / front arm-rest storage etc. Not a very premium visual experience to be honest.
  • Skoda continues to have these little "Simply Clever" bits of practicality & thats nice. However, they are sure getting a tough competition in these aspects from economy cars like the Magnite, Triber, Kiger for sure.
  • The HU display is too glossy for my liking. Especially with its angle - its reflecting a lot. Would be interesting to see if it troubles while driving.
  • Didn't like the LHD oriented stalk positions. But yeah VAG loyalists / enthusiasts don't really worry about it much so fine.
  • Roof liner material could have been far better than this. A knit liner would have been better. Much cheaper cars offer it.

I believe this is a very smart move by VW/Skoda. The Kushaq/Taigun are basically a size smaller than the typical compact SUVs. But slightly larger than the ubiquitous sub4m SUVs. Effectively - these are in a niche territory of their own. Priced right - these cars can give the premium badge, feel & appeal at a price lower than incumbents but within quick reach from the sub4m cars.

IMO with a single car, Skoda (and VW) is basically targeting to salami-slice into 2 segments. Simply clever for sure.
Reinhard is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2021, 10:28   #375
BHPian

The variant on display was the 1.0 TSI and hence I feel the rear discs were not present. Even the brochure is an initial marketing doc without a detailed variant wise spec sheet. I have a feeling the 1.5 TSI will be endowed with rear discs as well
niranjanprabhu is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks