Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 19th March 2021, 13:44   #211
BHPian

Re: The Skoda Kushaq crossover, now unveiled!

Wow, good to see quite a bit of interest in Kushaq, both negative and positive. Nevertheless, it has stirred interest of the public for sure.

I have been waiting for a mini SUV with automatic, preferably diesel. That way, I am impressed with what Skoda has put together (minus the diesel engine). This car definitely has a distinct persona, which looks mature and "well dressed" for lack of better words. It also has the profile that definitely shouts VAG, or more Audi.

Btw, People who buy this will have a tough time explaining the name to others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG Power View Post
Build on your strengths not on your weaknesses:

Skoda’s strengths have been its performance and handling. Their 1.6 and 2.0 TDI and 1.8 TSI / 2.0 engines have been great value for money. The 1.5 TSI on the other hand is lumpy, does not like to be revved and is best kept at average speeds. Quite unlike a Skoda. Another reason for the Kushaq to be an average player.

To conclude:Let’s not look at the shape of the wipers, the colour of the roof lining or whether the size of TV in the centre is enough to see Shah Rukh Khan properly. Look deeper.
Thank you. Totally with you. Since I've not driven 1.5 TSI, would you please share more on the engine power delivery, especially in comparison to 1.8, and 2.0 TSI. My only experience with 1.5 TSI is when I showed a T-Roc fast disappearing boot of my car, where TSI was written with team-bhp sticker that read "got bhp?
WhiteKnight is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2021, 13:48   #212
Senior - BHPian

I stopped reading further as soon as I saw it has no panoramic-sunroof, no digital-cockpit. I knew they would screw up on some front. Since pricing is not out yet, I am sure, that would be their second screw-up. I wouldn't buy a car costing above 15 lakhs without a pano-roof in 2021 and beyond. How hard is it to make that sunroof glass 18 inches longer?

That settles it. We will never see a true Creta rival in the Indian market. Ever. Enjoy Hyundai.

Last edited by Aditya : 20th March 2021 at 06:58. Reason: Minor errors
pgsagar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th March 2021, 13:50   #213
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Testing has been done for 15 Lakh kilometres
Interesting...
If they explicitly mentioned this, their intent is to emphasize reliability, does this mean we no longer have to be concered about the DQ200 unit?
Maky is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 19th March 2021, 14:03   #214
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ2285 View Post
Having owned a Polo GT TSi, if driven with a light foot, AT in the city can give anywhere in the range of 9 - 10kmpl. In Bumper to Bumper traffic(Mumbai), it can even go down to as low as 4 -5kmpl.
Precisely why am worried! I am in the market for an automatic in this segment but given my regular long drives and city diriving, this car can single handedly make me poor!
veyron_head is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th March 2021, 14:07   #215
GBX
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
I stopped reading further as soon as I saw it has no panoramic-sunroof, no digital-cockpit.
No offense, but the most powerful engine in the segment, mated to arguably the most advanced DCT in the market, all in a chassis that is expected to deliver on driving thrills. And you're writing it off based on the length of the sunroof.

May as well rename this site as Team-sunroof-per-sqcm and be done with it.
GBX is offline   (44) Thanks
Old 19th March 2021, 14:09   #216
Senior - BHPian

I am sure this is a well built and premium feeling vehicle. But does the size (rear seats and trunk) satisfy the consumer ? Add to this the price which is not going to less than the Creta/Seltos twins and lack of diesel to drive around in City conditions. Hope Skoda does well but doubtful if it matches the expectations.
Old 19th March 2021, 14:15   #217
rpm
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
You may have your reasons to choose your car - but every car is different-a Verna or Rapid is different from a Venue or Sonet or a Creta or a Seltos. Their mechanical components may also differ significantly. This "over-generalisation" of specific incidents or observations doesnt help.
I mostly agree with you about the "over-generalisation" part but........ didn't the post OP replied to make far more "over generalisations" about 'who' buys the Harrier/Scorpio/Indian product and 'why'? Didn't it also "over generalise" 'who' were the people criticizing the Kushaq for the lack of an all-disc setup, in addition to alluding to/generalising the braking performance of the Harrier due to lack of rear-discs? Wouldn't it make sense to call both of them out for "over generalisation" instead of singling out the one "over generalising" only Hyundai products?

I agree that the OP could have better phrased the second-to-last statement, but didn't he also address the "over generalisations" in the post he replied to, just like you did?

The OP, I feel, brought a wider perspective to the discussion— that an all-disc setup may not always outperform a front disc + rear drum setup in real-life scenario, as far as stopping distance is concerned. That the consumer should perhaps consider and compare the stopping distances of the cars they wish to purchase, to better understand if they really are getting the "safety" usually associated with an all-disc setup. The Harrier may not outperform the Korean twins without discs, especially given the higher mass it carries on its chassis, but at least that question is now up for discussion, instead of being buried in the backyard with misconceptions and assumptions. Besides, doesn't OP's post help make a case for the Kushaq, which is also what the person he replied to wanted? That people wait for the car to come out and see its braking performance before criticizing it for missing out on an all-disc setup?

Would multiple sources and/or more objective test numbers have helped? Yes. But I feel it does put someone concerned about "safety" on the right path.

As you said and I agree; you may have your reasons to choose your car, but it would perhaps be better to know if the specs on paper of your future purchase actually translate to real-life. Otherwise what one would end up with is misconceptions and/or denial. If someone would still like to go ahead and purchase the all-disc car after evaluating their stopping distances (talking about the scenario presented above by Verna and Rapid), perhaps it would be better to bear in mind that you are purchasing a good-to-have feature, the one that gives you peace of mind, or maybe looks cool; whatever appeals to your conscious. But also the fact that it is outperformed by a competing product with a perceivably inferior setup, and you may not be getting the safety associated with a shorter stopping distance if safety is indeed your primary goal/concern. It would bring clarity whether all-disc as a feature is dictated by necessity or want.

Wasn't this one of the "over generalisations" that OP helped clear through his post? I, for one, was totally under the impression that an all-disc setup will always outperform the front disc + rear drum setup, until I read OP's post. Who was expecting the Rapid to outperform the all-disc Verna anyway? The result was already a foregone conclusion, to me at least. (Yes, I'm that dumb)

Last edited by Sheel : 20th March 2021 at 08:45. Reason: As requested.
rpm is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 19th March 2021, 14:18   #218
BHPian

Quote:
I stopped reading further as soon as I saw it has no panoramic-sunroof, no digital-cockpit.
@pgsagar Should have read further. Its mentioned here that 'digital cockpit' will arrive later.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ml#post5025181 (The Skoda Kushaq crossover, now unveiled!)
corvus corax is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th March 2021, 14:20   #219
BHPian

Pardon me if anyone else has already pointed it out, but is that Ground Clearance laden or unladen? 188 mm makes it look more like an Urban CSUV rather than a go anywhere kind! Coupled with those 55 mm low profile tyres, I'm starting to wonder about the ride quality on our "Indian" roads. Those are the only negative things I could think of. But they do have a winner in their hands if they price it well, and improve their after sales network pan-India.
mav3r1ckblu3 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2021, 14:23   #220
BHPian

A good product by the euro twins (Kushaq & upcoming Taigun).

Am i the only one feeling this was the promised Mk6 Polo, but tarted up to suit the present Indian market flavour ?

Agreed these are extremely competent platforms but I feel there is more engineering by the marketing team rather than the actual car development team.

"The new platform is a derivative of the VW Group’s MQB A0 platform and will be called the ‘MQB A0 IN’. The platform is being developed for emerging markets, with India being the focus. Skoda has stated that the new platform will be adapted to suit both local climatic conditions as well as local tastes. The text mentions ‘temperature range of the air-conditioning system’ and ‘interior design’ as some of the specific requirements.

The MQB A0 IN will be highly localised and Skoda is already in talks with suppliers over the development process. While Skoda will take the lead on this project, the platform will also be used by Volkswagen." - https://www.autocarindia.com/car-new...r-india-407820

There will be tangible differences but i hope this doesn't mean drastic cost cutting for India. This platform will underpin the next gen Vento (virtus)/Rapid too.

The only mild disappointments are

* lack of disc brakes all around but i guess we will have to see the final 1.5 TSi model to comment fully.

* lack of diesel which will seriously hurt volumes.

* few gizmos, but personally will take a better engineered car and motor to some frills.

Last edited by Ash_vtec : 19th March 2021 at 14:40. Reason: spelling/formatting
Ash_vtec is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2021, 14:31   #221
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboGuy View Post
Apparently, the stopping distance of Verna with all four discs is slightly longer than the Rapid with rear drums. The Overdrive comparison calls this out as well (slide to 10:37min) So, I doubt all 4 discs on the Korean CSUV twins make a difference in their favour.

https://Youtu.be/sfbq8YPh2j4

With the horror stories of brake failures among the Koreans, I would rather put my money on something stable.
You are comparing the braking distance of two different cars here which can and/or will be different, we should compare the same model having rear discs and drums in different variants. No offense, but the Koreans genuinely need them, maybe the Karol Bagh folks would have an upgrade option for the same.

Last edited by Lowflyer23 : 19th March 2021 at 14:38.
Old 19th March 2021, 14:38   #222
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash_vtec View Post
--
The only mild disappointments are

* lack of disc brakes all around but i guess we will have to see the final 1.5 TSi model to comment fully.

* lack of diesel which will seriously hurt volumes.
Seeing the postings in this thread, I guess ŠKODA will be happy seeing the excitement and anticipation for the Kushaq here.

The first point mentioned will not be available in Kushaq, and the diesels are ruled out from the group in this segment.

But all of us expect a disruptive pricing in this segment as it is a make or break for the group in India.
volkman10 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th March 2021, 14:41   #223
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoDowntowner View Post
Connected car tech is a big miss in this ambitious vehicle.
The biggest miss is remote engine start/stop - no mention of that anywhere. I would happily buy a car without ventilated seats if I can cool it before I get in. Considering that here in Delhi we're already MARCHing early into summer

Cheers!
Clouseau is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2021, 14:41   #224
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
But all of us expect a disruptive pricing in this segment as it is a make or break for the group in India.

This is very true. If they want to lie back on brand snobbery for a premium they are in for a rude shock
Ash_vtec is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 19th March 2021, 15:24   #225
BHPian

Creta has 4 months waiting period for top variants and 6 to 8 months for base variants. Skoda can play smart here by keeping the introductory prices on par or even lower than the hyundai twins. As many members pointed out here it's definitely smaller than the competition and size does matter for us Indians. With taigun, this is going to be even more interesting.
RD150 is offline   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks