Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 19th March 2021, 08:18   #151
BHPian

Re: The Skoda Kushaq crossover, now unveiled!

I see quite a few posts in this thread where people are expecting Kushaq to be a Venue/Sonnet/Magnite/Brezza rival instead of Creta/Seltos rival as it is a tad smaller than the Korean twins.

I am struggling to understand the logic behind this school of thought. While the Kushaq is 75mm shorter than Creta, it is 225mm longer than any sub 4m car can ever be. So its much nearer to the Korean twins in size than Venue/Sonnet/Magnite/Brezza. The wheelbase even trumps the Korean twins and should provide more space in the cabin.
Moreover, even pricing wise, expecting it to compete with the sub 4m SUVs (as per some posts) it is unrealistic as the Kushaq falls into a higher tax bracket by virtue of its length.

Slightly OT: I have seen similar segment and price comparisons in the case of polo where people tend to compare the polo with the grand i10/swift category instead of the Baleno/i20 category and then find it more expensive.

Last edited by niteshbids : 19th March 2021 at 08:20.
niteshbids is online now   (15) Thanks
Old 19th March 2021, 08:31   #152
Senior - BHPian

Bro, have you heard of the 'dieselgate' scandal? Very clearly 'the bosses said so'. I suggest you look it up and see the documentaries out there. German marquees used to have that aura, not any more
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karthik.thm View Post
Germans cannot do a unsatisfied job even if their bosses said so
Sebring is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 19th March 2021, 08:37   #153
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Skoda's dilemma: Rise of Kushaq curtains for Karoq?

Skoda has confirmed its SUV has been temporarily axed from the Indian market.

Reasons could be many but the main could be Kushaq shares its major components( Engine+ Gear box in top variant) with the pricier Karoq.

Main reason could be the pricing.

"]Link[/url]
I was hoping that karoq will be launched with atleast the base variant having the same configuration as top end kushaq though Skoda's dilemma made sense.

I hope the 1.5 tsi engine and dq200 dsg gearbox will sell well in india in kushaq or other vehicles, maybe sedans, in Skoda range. I keep my vehicles for atleast 10 years and do not want to be in a situation of parts unavailable. Let's see how many enthusiasts will pull the trigger for top end kushaq.
Old 19th March 2021, 08:47   #154
Senior - BHPian

To all those who feel the Kushaq is quite small- since the wheels are pushed to the four corners of the car, it gives the small car vibes just like that of the Honda Brio. Unless you put the Kushaq side by side to the Seltos/Creta, we will never know how much smaller it really is.

Front and rear overhangs gives us an impression of length( say the Honda Amaze) which the Kushaq lacks

But having the wheels at the corners has its advantages- greater the wheelbase, greater the straight-line stability. Greater the track width, the lower body roll a car will have ( assuming the height of the point of centre of gravity from the ground is same)

Last edited by Turbohead : 19th March 2021 at 08:48.
Turbohead is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th March 2021, 08:56   #155
BHPian

Ok, so first of all I'll start by saying that I sincerely don't mean any offence of any kind to anyone. Now coming to the point, I just don't understand the levels of hypocrisy by some members. They are going mad for no disc brakes at the rear but would happily go for the harrier without the same stating the reason that it's totally made in India (few people know the vendor reality) and will help prosper the country. And I do agree that not having a 360 degree camera is a big miss but it doesn't mean that you can't park a 4.2 metre long vehicle without it, and if you can't then I don't know how you got your license.

Also, for god's sake at least wait for the pricing to be announced instead of bashing the car and the company left and right. These feature hungry people in reality put 20 Lacs on the bare bones dinosaur Scorpio and justify their purchase with sentiments like "desi loha". Again, as I already mentioned I don't mean any offence to anybody, just that I request everyone to kindly give the product a fair chance.

Last edited by Lowflyer23 : 19th March 2021 at 09:01.
Lowflyer23 is offline   (43) Thanks
Old 19th March 2021, 08:56   #156
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karthik.thm View Post
Heck, even Fortuner did not have rear disc brakes.
Agreed to every point you mentioned, but this. Fortuner has rear disc brakes.
Old 19th March 2021, 09:01   #157
BHPian

The car looks good and the middle variant is pretty loaded with Auto AC, LED Headlamps, Connected Car features, Split Rear seats, Paddle Shifters etc. It also is better in terms of safety features with ESC, ISOFIX etc. (all this when compared to a mid trim Seltos version like HTK+ Diesel Auto). Goes without saying that the build, ride & handling quality will definitely outdo the Koreans.

Overwhelming majority of the posts here are focussed on price with some even suggesting & beseeching pricing on par with Sonet, Venue!! Believe that very aggressive pricing would be suicidal for the brand & sincerely hope that the pricing hits the sweet spot - doesn't harm the premium image of the brand, neither makes it look like a very expensive package.

Looking forward to this keenly, in all probability this is going to be our next car esp as the Missus is a huge Skoda fan
abhishek_hch is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th March 2021, 09:04   #158
Senior - BHPian

The Skoda Kushaq crossover, now unveiled!

Superb package. Gone are the days when German cars used to skimp on features and offered boring interiors with very less gadgetery. The package is solid. I waiting to see the price and how the 1.5 TSI drives.

What worries me is prospective buyers overlooking the ample rear seat space they have offered. The leg room I mean. I think it is the best in the class. They should advertise it more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramki.grandhi View Post
Off topic: I think he meant 'did not' and not 'does not'. The initial generation of Fortuners priced around 20L did not have rear disks, if I remember.

Last edited by Pancham : 19th March 2021 at 09:08.
Pancham is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th March 2021, 09:25   #159
Distinguished - BHPian

I don't think lack of features or packaging has ever affected the desirability of a VW car. It is factors like pricing, warranty coverage and maintenance costs that will decide the fate of this car. I hope all this hype about localisation and India vision actually translates into lower prices.

DSG is the elephant in the room. They can either offer a 10 year warranty on it, or improve it's repairability so that a cheap solenoid or a sensor replacement is all that is required to fix a problematic DSG. A cheap to own DSG would give a phenomenal boost to VW brand in India.
androdev is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 19th March 2021, 09:39   #160
Senior - BHPian

Price announcement for Kushaq will be in June and car will go on sale a month later

Skoda Kushaq | A Close Look & Preview-smartselect_20210319093844_twitter.jpg
Venkatesh is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th March 2021, 09:41   #161
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Bro, have you heard of the 'dieselgate' scandal? Very clearly 'the bosses said so'. I suggest you look it up and see the documentaries out there. German marquees used to have that aura, not any more
Yes, I am aware of the scandal. My views on Skoda/VW is that they are more determined in India than few other manufacturers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramki.grandhi View Post
First generation Fortuner did not have rear disc brakes.

Last edited by moralfibre : 19th March 2021 at 10:10. Reason: Back to back posts. Please use the EDIT / Multi-QUOTE function within 30 minutes of posting.
Old 19th March 2021, 09:55   #162
BHPian

Quote:
Price announcement for Kushaq will be in June and car will go on sale a month later
The general public would forget about the Kushaq by the time they anounce the price.

My friend's father was looking to replace their 13 year old City with the Kushaq.

My friend said that they were kinda disappointed with the Kushaq (mainly boot space). He believes that the Kushaq must under cut the Creta by at least 1.5 lacs for it to be a good deal. Hopefully Skoda gets the pricing right.

Last edited by Eshan Joshi : 19th March 2021 at 10:05.
Eshan Joshi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th March 2021, 10:04   #163
BHPian

I was planning to buy one but the launch has left me with mixed feelings.

Things that are dissuading me away from the Skoda Kushaq:

1) Aesthetics - The boxy look is welcome but the car looks small. The most proportionate and pleasing looking car in the segment is Kia Seltos hands down.
2) Incomplete steering wheel - I don’t have a problem with a 2-spoke steering wheel but this somehow looks like an unfinished design. Steering is your sense of connection with the car, can’t digest the looks for now.
3) No digital display, panoramic sunroof, powered seats - I don’t see them as necessities but the problem is different. It’s a norm now with most manufacturers. So, the interiors will start looking dated early.
4) The inadequate boot size - I think they went overboard with the rear seat leg room and compromised on the boot space.
5) The color theme inside is uninspiring - All the walkaround videos I saw, the interiors, especially the way seats are done look boring.

Things that make me go for the car-
1) Engine and gearbox combination- The 1.5 TSI with 7-speed DSG would be quicker and better than all other engine options in the segment
2) Highway manners - based on my experience with other Skoda cars, I am assuming this would be one of the, if not the best highway handling crossover in the segment. Skoda steerings don’t have much feedback but they are dead precise.
3) Safety - It’s not just the airbags but overall safety in a Skoda car, like the way crumple zones are designed, is superior.
4) Exterior paint - I just love the way VW group paints their cars. The luster, texture, the shine is so tastefully done. That’s another reason why their cars age so well.

Last edited by moralfibre : 19th March 2021 at 10:14. Reason: Typos
Ashish0485 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th March 2021, 10:10   #164
BHPian

My son, who is in the market for his new car, yawned when he came to know about 3 months gap between unveiling the car and price announcement. I fear many similar prospective buyers are going to lose interest and patience by the time car is ready to hit showrooms.
Col Mehta is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 19th March 2021, 10:14   #165
Team-BHP Support

Re: Skoda Kushaq - some more details

Quote:
Originally Posted by EightSix View Post
The press kit says, “Its long wheelbase of 2,651 mm – which is among the longest in the segment"
FYI Skoda -

Renault Duster / Nissan Kicks both have 2673mm wheelbase and belong to the same segment. So this claim isn't really true!

Last edited by benbsb29 : 19th March 2021 at 10:43. Reason: Corrected typo.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks