Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 14th April 2021, 17:09   #166
REN
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Taigun | A Close Look & Preview

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
The Taigun was revealed at Auto Expo 2020, in about 8 months, Kia launched the Sonet. Look how Kia has taken the twisty chrome diffuser strip element above the grill of the Taigun (that wraps around the front fog lamps), given it an extra set of twists and slapped it on to the top variants of the Sonet! Kia is so unimaginative that they did not even dare to change the direction of the curve - upward curve in the front and downward curve in the rear
Silly accusation. The Sonet was unveiled at the same Auto Expo 2020, just a day after Volkswagen had revealed the Taigun. All the design elements you accuse KIA of stealing were present in the Sonet concept they showed at the Auto Expo. Hyundai and KIA are unimaginative? Have you seen the IONIQ 5 or the EV6? Hardly unimaginative.
REN is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 14th April 2021, 18:01   #167
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
Anyone else thinks that the interiors will look awful adorned with cheap and shiny plastics?
I am quoting your post out of convenience but I've seen similar ones around here and I have a few genuine questions

How can you tell the plastic quality is poor from the pictures?

Quote:
So far, whatever we have seen of the Taigun and the Kushaq, it looks like VW/Skoda has messed up the India 2.0 big time and all the time and money invested in this project will go down the drain.
How can you say this without even having checked out the car?

Quote:
Sorry to say, but, neither of these cars have shown any class leading features or design elements to take the battle to the Koreans. Some of the areas where they seem to be lacking behind -
Size, butch looks and road presence (big factor for lot of the target audience)
No electrically adjustable seats
No electric parking brake
No panoramic sunroof.
No 360 camera
Smallest boot.
Narrow width, difficult to accommodate 5th passenger.
No soft touch materials on the dash ( probably)
auto-dimming IVRM (??)
paddle shifters (??)
no one touch up down for windows other than the driver (this is present in all VW cars)
How do you get disappointed before even having driven the car? It's a car, not a gadget, you don't judge it based on the specsheet.

Electric parking brake has been demmed a safety hazard by many and the good old brake serves more function, the demand for this feature is as superficial as it can get.

As for the design elements/looks, how can anybody defend the koreans for this? The new Creta is hideous. The design makes no sense and it's a far cry from having any sort of street presence. What butch looks?!

How can you tell it doesn't have auto dimming irvm? My Polo has it. I seriously doubt the Taigun will miss out on it, but how can you tell still?

Paddle shifters are present by all accounts on the 1.5 TSI DSG.

Panoramic sunroof/360 degree camera, while a novelty feature and desired by many, are not the driving factors behind the large portion of sales.

All of this set aside, how can people consider a call sales dud, or failure, or bad product when full details aren't even out yet? How does everybody here know the plastic quality is cheap? Am I missing something?
RoadMonkey is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 14th April 2021, 18:33   #168
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadMonkey View Post
I am quoting your post out of convenience but I've seen similar ones around here and I have a few genuine questions

How can you tell the plastic quality is poor from the pictures?
First of all, I completely understand your point of view, however I dont agree with some of it.

Pictures have reflective plastics mostly and you can feel it, But more importantly it was mentioned in all of Kushaq's reviews, I dont expect Taigun to be any different.

Quote:
Agree, on this part, but the lack of perceived quality evident in the reviews and on the pics.

Quote:
How do you get disappointed before even having driven the car? It's a car, not a gadget, you don't judge it based on the specsheet.
Cars of today is not the engine and gearbox, technology, software and features are a very important part. There is nothing wrong in a person rejecting a car because of lack of a certain feature. For someone the most important feature might be it should support the mobile phone OS of his choice in the dashboard. Times have changed and for better or worse, specsheet is more important nowadays.

Quote:
Electric parking brake has been demmed a safety hazard by many and the good old brake serves more function, the demand for this feature is as superficial as it can get.
While I partially agree with this point, the convenience of electric break/autohold is something extra-ordinary and if there is actually shortcomings with this technology, it should be improved and should not be given as an excuse of not giving as a feature.

Quote:
As for the design elements/looks, how can anybody defend the koreans for this? The new Creta is hideous. The design makes no sense and it's a far cry from having any sort of street presence. What butch looks?!
100% in agreement with you on the design part, however this design works which shows in the sales chart

Quote:
How can you tell it doesn't have auto dimming irvm? My Polo has it. I seriously doubt the Taigun will miss out on it, but how can you tell still?
In the picture there is a manual control for the mirror dimming. Polo also has all 4 door one touch window down/up function. Kushaq doesnt have and I dont think it will be offered in Taigun. But I also think auto dimming will be offered, but how did they choose a pic without it is beyond me.

Quote:
Paddle shifters are present by all accounts on the 1.5 TSI DSG.
I too think it will be offered on the GT variant

Quote:
Panoramic sunroof/360 degree camera, while a novelty feature and desired by many, are not the driving factors behind the large portion of sales.
Disagree on this part, Panoramic glass roof(I personally is not a fan) is one big driving factor in car sales in India in this segment. so much so for some people its a deal breaker. I suspect, VW is holding this feature for the facelift so that they can sell the initial version to all the VW fans and then sell the next version on wow factor.

Quote:
All of this set aside, how can people consider a call sales dud, or failure, or bad product when full details aren't even out yet? How does everybody here know the plastic quality is cheap? Am I missing something?
SBM3J is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th April 2021, 18:44   #169
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBM3J View Post
First of all, I completely understand your point of view, however I dont agree with some of it.

Pictures have reflective plastics mostly and you can feel it, But more importantly it was mentioned in all of Kushaq's reviews, I dont expect Taigun to be any different.
Reflective plastics aren't necessary poor quality, besides it's a computer render and not an actual picture of the dashboard. How can you judge the quality from renders? And what reviews have you read? Most of the reviewers I've followed from the cammouflaged reviews have said the quality is usual Skoda/VW.

Quote:
Cars of today is not the engine and gearbox, technology, software and features are a very important part. There is nothing wrong in a person rejecting a car because of lack of a certain feature. For someone the most important feature might be it should support the mobile phone OS of his choice in the dashboard. Times have changed and for better or worse, specsheet is more important nowadays.
Everything comes at a price. You can either get a car full of tech or one where the company didn't cut cost on safety, build quality and structural rigidity. If they add everything, people here would complain about the price. Cars may have all bells and whistles, its primary function remains one that of being a mode of travelling that people like to enjoy with nice to haves. However, the nice to have value of things like 360 degree cameras, eletrically adjusted seats is questionable at best. Would you be willing to accept third class safety in exchange? Companies can't be selling products below cost.

Quote:
100% in agreement with you on the design part, however this design works which shows in the sales chart
Which then is an argument for that Indians don't really care about butch looks or road presence, since that car has none, and thus this is not something you can hold against these cars.

I don't have any personal attachment with VW, if people called their 2.0 a failure 6-12 months after the launch of cars, I'd consider that a fair take - even if subjective judgement. How can one call it a failure before it even begins, based on renders?!
RoadMonkey is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 14th April 2021, 18:56   #170
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadMonkey View Post

No need to get emotional, as I don't want to start a war. All I can say is almost nobody here has seen the car in person. So, going by your logic, people should not be commenting in this thread at all.

And please, you don't have to see the car always to get disappointed. If someone does not like the features: price ratio, he/she can reject the car without seeing it. In fact, check the various threads in this forum and you will see 100's and 1000's of posts where people are bashing and dismissing a car based on the pics, features and price.

Anyways, I hope VW offer all the nice features, soft touch dashboard along with class-leading space, bigger boot, superior performance, and 5* safety at a competitive price. peace!
adimicra is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th April 2021, 19:02   #171
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post

Anyways, I hope VW offer all the nice features, soft touch dashboard along with class-leading space, bigger boot, superior performance, and 5* safety at a competitive price. peace!
Sorry, but which car in this segment has soft touch plastics used in the dash? From what I have seen, both the Seltos and Creta come with all hard touch plastics, but yes, in a better shade.
udaikalra01 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th April 2021, 19:33   #172
BHPian

I really really find it super duper funny how people have already passed their judgement on the plastic/interior quality of the car without seeing it in person . Design/looks can still be judged by the pictures but quality? Like how?

Let's wait for the car to get launched, go to the showrooms, experience it, come back, log in and share our thoughts. Please
Col Mehta is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 14th April 2021, 20:03   #173
BHPian

Aren't we the same crowd who judged Seltos during its initial days, how the build was close to European than Korean, doors closes with heavy thud, etc. And it ended up being a dud in crash test ratings. With brake issues as an icing on cake

Given the history, I wouldn't recommend anyone to build the perception and pass judgement based on images/videos. This is a unique case, where VW\Skoda group built the entire platform from scratch with 95% localization. It's relatively easy for Kia to achieve this type of feat, as they've grand backup from their big brother Hyundai.

Lets give a chance to VW/Skoda group to prove themselves. My only fear is, if this product fails, most likely Vw/Skoda will pack their bags and leave. And we Indians end up with lesser and lesser options day-by-day!

Last edited by ramki.grandhi : 14th April 2021 at 20:04.
ramki.grandhi is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 15th April 2021, 15:13   #174
BHPian

Interior looks nice and classy and very European.

I would advise members to not go by the doctored and altered images provided by VW to the media. High chance of these images being photoshopped or the lighting altered to have max effect.

In reality the dash may look completely different devoid of shiny bits.

As far as the features are concerned it's very difficult to say at this stage when the full details haven't been revealed.
Some features can easily be added to the final production variant. Maybe this was the reason for the embargo on the interior images? VW might chose to include some bits and bobs depending on how the competition stacks up against it.
veedub89 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 15th April 2021, 17:46   #175
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
A better interior image, just came in from VW:

Attachment 2144063
Looks really classy! The lines are clean and the fabric upholstery seems to be of very high quality. I am glad VW decided against the body colored panels in the interior, that would have looked so cheesy. I think VW has the best implementation of the virtual cockpit, even compared to luxury marques. The layered Dash, starting with the lighter shades down below and progressing to the darker shades at the top is spot on. I hope VW keeps some of the superior aesthetics intact, on the lower trims as well.
Old 15th April 2021, 18:12   #176
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
The headlight cluster in the Creta with the linear DRL above the low-set, C-Shaped headlamp and sheet metal in between these two lights was flicked from the Harrier's design.
I believe that Hyundai had this design (slim DRLs on the top and actual headlights below) on the Santa Fe and Palisade much before the Creta. This is very much inline with their design language and not necessarily a copy of the Harrier.
Sorry for the OT.

Last edited by Guna : 15th April 2021 at 18:14.
Guna is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2021, 23:56   #177
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col Mehta View Post
I really really find it super duper funny how people have already passed their judgement on the plastic/interior quality of the car without seeing it in person .
VW has been skimping big time by providing very utilitarian hard plastic interiors in their budget SUV 's like TCross and TRoc - so IMO the skepticism is justified.

Happy to be proved wrong.
Old 16th April 2021, 04:37   #178
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JishD View Post
VW has been skimping big time by providing very utilitarian hard plastic interiors in their budget SUV 's like TCross and TRoc - so IMO the skepticism is justified.

Happy to be proved wrong.
Sure, VW has. And so has the competition. I’ve been reading this over and over again that VW will have hard plastics in its budget cars, but not enough mentions that competition does the same, which at times a lot of us have regarded as “good quality”!

We also expect VW to price their cars on par (or undercut rivals!), while being aware that the price structures generally tend to be worse than Koreans). How that possible?

Last edited by Abhi_Automobile : 16th April 2021 at 04:38.
Abhi_Automobile is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th April 2021, 16:54   #179
BHPian

VW has posted an ad in YouTube.
SBM3J is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th April 2021, 21:56   #180
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Playful, not funky': VW reveals Taigun cabin, underlines focus on quality.

Attachment 2143670

Attachment 2143671

Josef Kaban - Head of Design at Volkswagen Brand:

Taigun has a playful exterior and interior design language which helps it have a youthful appeal.
Wow! Looks funky and neat, especially the double silver coloured bands running door to door. Looking forward to seeing in real metal plastic.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks