Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 7th July 2022, 22:24   #301
R_R
BHPian

re: 4th-Gen Hyundai Tucson spotted testing in India. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 27.70 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathan1130 View Post
Hello All..

I am not sure if this is an updated news or Hyundai has revealed some additional details.
Can't see anything new here. The Tucson page, with almost no details, has been on the Hyundai website for more than a month, including the TVC. Auto journalists are way behind TeamBHP!

On another note, I see some interesting contrasts between various versions of the Tucson. For example, the ones sold in the US, the long wheel base version, definitely does not have auto or even electric folding outer mirrors (ORVMs). If you want to fold the mirror, you have to manually push it shut!! But the European version, which is the short wheel base version, seems to have it--the mirrors close automatically when you shut down the engine, and it can be closed electrically as needed by the driver too. I don't know if this has anything to do with local auto regulations, or if there is any relation to the difference between LWB and SWB versions, though I can't imagine why.

Another difference: The US versions seem to come with only several drive modes, with 'Snow' included in these drive modes. In other Tucson brochures (UAE, Nepal, Bangladesh), it clearly shows a set of drive modes (eco, sport, normal) but also a separate set of terrain modes (snow, sand, mud). I am not sure what to make of these differences. Unlike the odd case of the electric mirrors, this does not appear to correspond to the LWB/SWB difference (even assuming that correspondence is meaningful). In the US, Hyundai sells the LWB version, but both Nepal and Bangladesh also has the LWB version. UAE has the SWB version, but it also has separate drive and terrain modes. Maybe it is just adjusted according to the market, but I can't imagine why they do not have terrain modes in markets like the US. And of course, since Nepal's Tucsons get it, hopefully, so will India's!!

A final one: in most markets (at least ones where I've looked at), the Tucson comes with dual-zone a/c. In Europe, though, they get triple-zone a/c. May be just compensating for the SWB?? Anyway, would be nice to have three-zone a/c in the Indian version too, to match the VW Tiguan's.

Obviously, I've been obsessing over these cars way too much.
R_R is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th July 2022, 22:37   #302
BHPian

re: 4th-Gen Hyundai Tucson spotted testing in India. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 27.70 lakh

Somehow the excitement is dying down now. 2+ months post initial update on their website and no further details. The SAs are clueless and have kept on pushing the soft launch/ training dates which now stands at July/ August. Their social media team is nothing to talk about. It seems they are just busy milking their cash cows: the Creta and Venue and celebrating return to No.2 slot again now(based on June sales). I'll be very surprised if July 13th launch is even on the cards. We are less than 1 week away from that date. Pretty disappointing
Old 7th July 2022, 22:55   #303
BHPian

Yes there is a chance that we don't see the unveil on 13th July. My SA who was pressing me to book the car unofficially until 2 weeks back, just says now "Saaar..no news from HMIL"
Old 8th July 2022, 08:51   #304
Senior - BHPian

All New Hyundai Tucson Media Unveil Teaser

Link

4th-Gen Hyundai Tucson spotted testing in India. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 27.70 lakh-img_20220708_084816.jpg

4th-Gen Hyundai Tucson spotted testing in India. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 27.70 lakh-img_20220708_085001.jpg
CarguyNish is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 8th July 2022, 08:56   #305
Distinguished - BHPian

Media preview of a car that has been launched for couple of years in the world. They will then probably have a launch in August followed by price announcement in September and probably start delivering only by Diwali.

This new trend is absolutely ridiculous.
AtheK is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 8th July 2022, 08:56   #306
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_R View Post
In Europe, though, they get triple-zone a/c.
I noted this in a previous post too. But I really hope they introduce the 3 zone climate control to differentiate the new gen Tucson from the Alcazar and even some of its competition.
automowheels is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2022, 11:36   #307
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarguyNish View Post
All New Hyundai Tucson Media Unveil Teaser
I've been talking to a couple of Hyundai dealers in Bangalore to get some info about the launch dates and also what trims are going to be available for India. Haven't got any reliable information so far

One point that was common from both the dealers was that it would be 5 seater and not a seven seater. It is likely to have the same Diesel configuration similar to Alcazar, which I am not sure. No information from pricing from anyone, but most looks like it would sit closer to Compass territory as it would be a 5 seater is my view
Old 8th July 2022, 11:41   #308
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diwakarmuthu View Post
One point that was common from both the dealers was that it would be 5 seater and not a seven seater. It is likely to have the same Diesel configuration similar to Alcazar, which I am not sure. No information from pricing from anyone, but most looks like it would sit closer to Compass territory as it would be a 5 seater is my view
With respect to Alcazar, it should be for the petrol engine and not diesel in my opinion.

7 seater is highly doubtful...but less than 1 week to get that clarity
Old 8th July 2022, 12:16   #309
BHPian

I honestly feel that there is a huge opportunity for Hyundai to capture the market share in the 25-35 lakh bracket. If only they can produce enough Tucsons and don't deprive it of the features present even in its cheaper siblings.
If the fully loaded Tucson is launched in India and at a competitive price point(not significantly more than the previous generation), it should be a success.
But, the question is whether Hyundai wants to do that in India or not? They are already enjoying success in 8-20 lakh bracket with cars like i20, venue and creta. Now is the time that they can replicate the same in the higher price brackets too.
axe_deo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2022, 16:42   #310
R_R
BHPian

I am not sure why there's still an expectation of a 7-seater Tucson. Hyundai does not sell Tucson in 7-seater configuration anywhere in the world. So highly improbable they'll modify it just for the Indian market, considering they probably will not sell more than a few hundred in a month, in their best months. And, of course, since this is CKD . . .

Regarding price: the Tucson is a direct competitor to the VW Tiguan. So my expectations are that the prices will be similar. The Tiguan sold in India is the Elegance version, which is one level below the top end R-Line Tiguan. Depending on the versions of the Tucson that Hyundai decides to sell in India, the price could be a bit lower or a bit higher than the VW Tiguan. If they bring the entry-level Tucson, it may come at a considerably lower price than the Tiguan. But the higher end version of the Tucson will be comparable to the Tiguan in price, so say about 32L ex-showroom. My hope is that they bring the Hybrid AWD, which will be a gamechanger, but probably unlikely. And it'll be much more expensive than the Tiguan. I would be happy if they at least give us the petrol AWD at a comparable price to the Tiguan. The diesel AWD is the best version, but unfortunately unaffordable for most of us in the NCR.
Old 8th July 2022, 18:41   #311
BHPian

Quote:
Regarding price: the Tucson is a direct competitor to the VW Tiguan
Publically available information on price for currently on sale in India lowest priced respective 2.0 Diesel,Auto,AWD models shows Tiguan 32.7x > Compass 27.7x > Tucson 27.4x L.

>5 L difference between comparable Tiguan & Tucson models; am I missing something here?
The 2WD 2.0 Diesel Tucson starts even lower around 22.xx L Ex Showroom.

The new Tucson seems to have what it takes to sway a segment of buyers from top end XUV700 & Safari if the prices stay sane.
Attached Thumbnails
4th-Gen Hyundai Tucson spotted testing in India. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 27.70 lakh-screenshot_20220708152828_chrome.jpg  

Last edited by Aditya : 9th July 2022 at 06:54. Reason: Quote tags fixed
Vtach is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2022, 18:53   #312
Distinguished - BHPian

How can Tucson even possibly compete with Tiguan with that non starter petrol engine. Tucson if it comes with current engines will hardly sell anything in Petrol, it will all be Diesel engines. Tiguan is anyway today itself very expensive compared to petrol version of current Tucson, as posted above Tucson is best left fighting with XUV700 and to some extent safari, but then again it will be atleast 5 lacs expensive if not more then those two and will have tough time competing. Harrier facelift should throw in the hat in the ring soon too.

Hyundai can hope to have a segment to itself and also after the intial hoopla dies, it will be tough to plonk close to 40 big one on a Hyundai Car. Hyundai is not an aspirational brand like say Skoda or VW.

I was very interested but then I am getting back to senses and I will actually wait for MG to hopefully come with a diesel automatic for Hector in the facelift with ADAS from Astor. It probably be a little less fun to drive then Tucson, but will be far more economical to own. The only question that remains is will Hector launch in Diesel Auto, as petrol Auto from Hector is again not great.
Old 8th July 2022, 19:33   #313
R_R
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vtach View Post
[QUOTE Regarding price: the Tucson is a direct competitor to the VW Tiguan/QUOTE]

Publically available information on price for currently on sale in India lowest priced respective 2.0 Diesel,Auto,AWD models shows Tiguan 32.7x > Compass 27.7x > Tucson 27.4x L.
You are comparing the price of the just introduced Tiguan facelifted version with the price of the old, now discontinued Tucson. I will be happy to be proved wrong, obviously, but price expectations on TeamBHP (I am a culprit too) has been consistently on the lower side, with groans usually accompanying the price announcements of eagerly awaited cars. (There have been some rare exceptions, like the Scorpio-N). The Tucson has a much weaker petrol engine than the Tiguan, no doubt, but it is also likely to come with a lot more features than what Tiguan has. And, of course, a better reputation for reliability and better ASS. But, as I noted, the Tucson will come with more variants, so some of them will be a lot cheaper than the Tiguan. But at the higher-end, I expect that the prices are likely to be similar to the Tiguan. Again, I hope to be pleasantly surprised.
R_R is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th July 2022, 05:30   #314
BHPian

Quote:
You are comparing the price of the just introduced Tiguan facelifted version with the price of the old, now discontinued Tucson. I will be happy to be proved wrong, obviously, but price expectations on TeamBHP (I am a culprit too) has been consistently on the lower side, with groans usually accompanying the price announcements of eagerly awaited cars. (There have been some rare exceptions, like the Scorpio-N). The Tucson has a much weaker petrol engine than the Tiguan, no doubt, but it is also likely to come with a lot more features than what Tiguan has. And, of course, a better reputation for reliability and better ASS. But, as I noted, the Tucson will come with more variants, so some of them will be a lot cheaper than the Tiguan. But at the higher-end, I expect that the prices are likely to be similar to the Tiguan. Again, I hope to be pleasantly surprised.
Completely agree with you here.

A history lesson.

The 3rd gen pre-facelift Tucson was launched way back in 2017. Its DIRECT competitor the VW Tiguan diesel AWD top variant was launched the same year at 31.04 lakhs ex-showroom.

But the Tucson AWD diesel top-spec when launched was priced at 25.16 lakhs ex-showroom, which is almost 6 lakhs less than the Tiguan.

Remember it was a very different Hyundai back then; They could sell sub-10 lakhs cars in good numbers, and it had only been a year or so since they could sell a 15 lakh car (Creta) in any decent kind of numbers. So Hyundai HAD to price the Tucson at a significant discount to the Tiguan because they were not even in the same ballpark as VW as far as brand value and perception goes.

But 2022 is a very different time indeed. Its no longer a David and Goliath between Hyundai and VW. Hyundai's cars are priced the same as its competitors from VW, though brand perception of VW is still higher. Plus, the VW Tiguan we get here now is still a FACELIFT of what was originally launched internationally in 2016 while the Tucson is an all-new genneration.

So I too have always felt (and have posted about it too) that the new Tucson's pricing will be comparable to the Tiguan, whose only variant currently retails for 32.8 lakhs ex-showroom. As you say, the top end of the Tucson would be at the same price (if not more) as the VW Tiguan top variant.

If we want to leave the Tiguan aside, then consider the Tucson's other competition; The slight smaller (but still same segment) non-CKD Jeep Compass at 18.4 to 31.32 or the Citroen C5 at 32.2 - 33.8 lakhs.

Given where the the 5-seater premium SUV segment and the Hyundai brand is right now, frankly it would be naive of them to price it any lower as they know they will not be able to sell more than 200-300 units a month of this mostly-likely CKD post the initial hype-spike.

When it comes to expected sales, I know there is this argument that the XUV700 sells thousands of units a month so why not the Tucson. We need to remember that the XUV700 is a 13.3 - 24.6 lakh car and NOT a 22.7 - 27.5 lakh car as was the recently discontinued Tucson which is a difference of 6.5 lakhs if you see the MEDIAN price. A 6.5 lakhs jump puts it in a different segment altogether, so we cant really compare them.

As you have said too, this is one of those arguments where I'll be happy if proven wrong.
lordrayden is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th July 2022, 11:29   #315
Senior - BHPian

Two main problems other than the brand value perception that plagued the Tucson were;

1. Lack of proper product awareness to the general public. Apart from enthusiasts, very few are even aware that Tucson is gem of a car.

2. Relatively high maintenance cost. (Talking purely about parts cost and not consumables and regular maintenance). If we scan the ownership threads, this is the only problem folks are concerned about.

Really hope Hyundai addresses these too with the new Tucson innings.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 9th July 2022 at 17:34. Reason: Typos
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks