Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 21st March 2023, 14:53   #526
BHPian

re: 2023 Hyundai Verna launched at 10.9 lakhs!

No word on when deliveries start?
Old 21st March 2023, 14:58   #527
BHPian

No mention of TPMS in the feature list unless I missed it.

Has it been mentioned?
Old 21st March 2023, 14:58   #528
Senior - BHPian

I get the feeling that the front looks unfinished or incomplete in the white colour car, or worse it looks like the car got into a low speed accident and parts of the front bumper fell off. The sides, especially towards the rear look overdone. I actually like the rear.
StarrySky is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st March 2023, 15:01   #529
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CafeRacer16 View Post
Good effort from Hyundai. I think the design looks much better in official photos as compared to spy-shots.

I still feel Virtus, City, Slavia trump Verna on looks & are sure to age much better than current Verna.
I agree with you that Verna real world look is much better than the spy shots.

However, if you look at the current EV designs as well as future prototypes of EVs which will be launched from 2024 end / 2025, majority of them will be like current gen Verna. I feel future cars & SUVs will look very similar to the Verna launched today.

I feel 1.5 turbo GDi engine as well as size of Verna is very similar to Civic or Octavia of 3-4 years ago. Except soft touch feel inside everything else of Verna is very much comparable to sedans costing upwards of 30 lacs.
GoBabyGo is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 21st March 2023, 15:03   #530
BHPian

Performance aside, the Verna 1.5 Turbo beats the the 1.5 TSI (with active cylinder technology) in FE too? Remarkable. Not sure how they are achieving that. What's left to beat?

I think Verna has everything going for it. The pricing is aggressive and spot on. Well done Hyundai here. The interiors look years ahead (except the excessive Christmas lighting). Exterior looks are subjective and surely they tried hard to differentiate from the competition. The design will not age well though.

Except for some die hard fan boys, not sure why anyone would consider the Virtus/Slavia (especially if the Verna manages to get a better safety rating)?
stringbh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2023, 15:07   #531
Distinguished - BHPian

The most important quality for any new car in a crowded (for the volume) segment like this is to look new - this has got it. It should look bigger, expensive and worth the money customer has paid for it - in this case it ticks all the boxes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechnoBloop View Post
It's surprising to see how Hyundai managed to price the Verna 1.5 Turbo so well. Even though the prices are introductory and will be increased later on, still the pricing is pretty impressive, at least for the Turbo variant.
Although, it still remains to be seen the driving dynamics and the credibility of '160HP' of Verna when compared to VAG twins because VW hp>Hyundai hp (at least that's what the trend has been for so long in India). The claimed 0-100 is lower than that of the VAG twins, but the reality remains to be seen.
They said the same thing about i20 vs Polo as well - but you see what happened, i20 exists, now costs 15L and Polo is no more. A second here and there may not make much of a difference if the vehicle performs well on a daily basis and there is no obvious lack of power.

For Hyundai the vehicle will gather another 500-1000 units per month sale maybe but where will it come from?!
Kosfactor is online now   (12) Thanks
Old 21st March 2023, 15:10   #532
Senior - BHPian

Was eagerly waiting for this launch.
The looks of the front profile, in the teasers, impressed me as they gave it a very muscle car look.
If only they had the boot designed in line with the front, it would have looked like a muscle car throughout.

Unfortunately, it is not to be so. Didn't like it from the pictures, waiting to see how I like it in person.
Old 21st March 2023, 15:13   #533
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arvindyoga View Post
White colour NA petrol Top Model
Attachment 2431426

Not sure why they decided to have the primary headlights so low in the fender. One minor accident may cost nearly 40-50k in LED replacement.
That exactly is the intention in these hideous designs!
cpbopanna is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st March 2023, 15:13   #534
BHPian

Wait but how can an 8 second sedan be this cheap! 0-100 in 8 seconds is very fast given the cars we have on sale in India. For perspective, Mercedes Benz C Class 220d is a 7 second car.

Last edited by bordeaux : 21st March 2023 at 15:14.
bordeaux is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st March 2023, 15:26   #535
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
They said the same thing about i20 vs Polo as well - but you see what happened, i20 exists, now costs 15L and Polo is no more. A second here and there may not make much of a difference if the vehicle performs well on a daily basis and there is no obvious lack of power.
Well this is not the right place to discuss about the i20 and Polo, but if you think that Polo was discontinued because VW accepted that the new gen Polo is no match for the new i20, then buddy you're wrong. The Polo was discontinued due to the sole reason of the new gen attracting higher taxes due to it's dimensions, I'm pretty sure that if they brought in the new gen Polo, it would've been selling more than or at least equal to the i20.

And yes, I agree that a fraction of a second doesn't create much of a difference, but since both VW and Hyundai are selling their 1.5 Turbo engines under the name of performance, I guess it is fair enough to compare their 0-100 timings (anyways no one is going to buy these cars for drag races except some YouTubers, so you've got a fair point here)

But yes, the pricing is mind-boggling. It still makes me wonder how Hyundai were able to undercut the price of this feature loaded car when compared to the VAG twins (hope they haven't compromised on safety, AGAIN). Possibly the safety and dynamics of the German twins 'might' be better but I can't comment on it until and unless a proper full fedged review of Verna comes to our forum

Last edited by TechnoBloop : 21st March 2023 at 15:35. Reason: Errors corrected
TechnoBloop is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 21st March 2023, 15:27   #536
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SedateGuy View Post
No mention of TPMS in the feature list unless I missed it.

Has it been mentioned?
Tyre pressure monitoring system (TPMS) highline is available on all variants except EX. Just checked the brochure. I think we need to wait for the official details on mileage, ground clearance and turning radius which I am unable to find.

Last edited by skarthiksr : 21st March 2023 at 15:31.
skarthiksr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2023, 15:29   #537
BHPian

I hope the ground clearance remains the same as the previous gen

2023 Hyundai Verna launched at 10.9 lakhs!-20230321.png

Can see clear difference in the wheel well as compared to the Virtus.

2023 Hyundai Verna launched at 10.9 lakhs!-virtusvirtuswheel.jpg
Maxton07 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 21st March 2023, 15:35   #538
BHPian

Thoughts from the launch:

1. The car has an opinionated design which may resonate with its intended target audience of younger buyers (40% of buyers of the previous Verna were less than 30 years in age as per the launch presentation). Looks good in the darker colours, and with the Christmas lights on. The Starry Blue looks the nicest to me.
2023 Hyundai Verna launched at 10.9 lakhs!-screenshot-20230321-2.19.15-pm.png

2023 Hyundai Verna launched at 10.9 lakhs!-screenshot-20230321-2.18.46-pm.png

2. The Hyundai product planners have done a superb job! This is essentially the Creta formula but in the Sedan segment. On paper nothing beats the Verna from this segment. Most powerful engine (8 sec 0 to 100!) - Tick, Largest wheelbase - Tick, Every feature possible and some differentiators as well (Smart trunk, Powered seats) - Tick. All of this backed by Hyundai's service, resale value. The only question left really is wether the extended wheelbase has solved the achilles heel of the Verna which is backseat space.

3. The pricing must be causing palpitations in the VW/Skoda planning rooms. Over a lakh cheaper on most variants, with more features, power and space! Even the city planners must be worried. Hyundai can pull this off, due to their scale and the extensibility of these engines across their Sedans, SUVs, MUVS for both Kia and Hyundai. Expect to see a big drop in sales for the Skoda/VW Sedans, in the coming months. Attaching the Autocar price checker.

2023 Hyundai Verna launched at 10.9 lakhs!-twitter_8f3f8722d4349947d5ffc7861bf80c1c.jpeg

Looking forward to the test drive now where the following open points will get revealed:
1. How is the space management in the Verna, especially in the backseat?
2. Is there an improvement in the 8-speaker Bose music system (Hyundai claimed best in class music in the launch ppt) and how does it compete with the ones in the Skoda?
3. How does the suspension compare with the VAG twins?
Silverfire is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 21st March 2023, 15:44   #539
BHPian

I was trying to look for the old verna prices. By how how much has the price of 1.5 SX(O) IVT have increased. The last model was really value for money.
Old 21st March 2023, 15:49   #540
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safedriver2023 View Post
When you get better brakes which helps all times why not give it a preference.
Let’s not confirm that having rear disc means better real world performance than VAG twins. Kushaq / Taigun with rear drum brakes performed better than Creta / Seltos with rear discs in all performance comparisons. While I hope it performs better than VAG twins, so that other manufacturers feel the need too, its very early to come to a conclusion.
sunikkat is online now   (14) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks