Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 12th February 2023, 16:45   #631
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)
Re: Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023

This thread is now beginning to rattle around with lots of polarised opinions.
I think there will always be different strokes for different folks. The Jimny does appeal to a certain type of person and not at all to another type of person.
Lets wait for it to launch, let the price be revealed and then let the sales numbers show us whats what. Also let some real world reviews come out by actual users of this 5 door boxy little 4x4 and then let us analyse matters.
Right now it is only speculation.
shankar.balan is offline   (32) Thanks
Old 13th February 2023, 00:00   #632
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarNerd View Post
It's narrower than Alto, shorter than Baleno and you say it isn't tiny? It's boot space is less than Ignis and you say it's practical?

None of that matters if it is not value for money. There are other SUVs like the Force Gurkha 4x4 in the price range which are more vfm.

For very few people. Most normal people don't spend thrice the amount of a regular small car just for fun. Regular people don't want to get stuck in a traffic jam let alone getting stuck in some remote place with no help at hand.

For city driving, there are many small cars with more comfort, features, space and cost less than Jimny. How is a 15 Lakh Jimny with poor ride quality advantageous? How many people go to such tough places everyday?

No vehicle can climb a mountain vertically.

It might go in such places but that alone can't be the reason to buy it over regular cars. It is only for those who want to splurge.

You can't compare Indian market to global market, it simply doesn't make any sense. Practical for most folks? It's the opposite.

Other than having 4x4 in a small chasis, it has nothing to offer and that makes it imperfect and impractical.
All your points are valid, but it's like comparing a knife with a sword. You can cut vegetables with both, but when it comes to war you have to take the sword in your hand.

Same is the case with your comparison, you can use both Jimny and i20 on tarmac, but where the tarmac ends that's when your i20 will beg you for mercy.

Also the other SUVs which provides everything you are expecting (comfort, features, space, good ride quality) in that price bracket are well "hatchbacks on 👠"

They can go as far as your i20 can go.

Also pricing of Jimny is not out yet, so it can't be compared with Gurkha or Thar.

Even if it comes at 15L, there are benefits of petrol over diesel on high altitudes and easier maintenance which maybe insignificant for us city dwellers, but very crucial for those living at those heights where diesel vehicles like Thar/Gurkha face starting issues and service availability is an issue.

Also there's a reason the Gypsy is still a king on the hills and the most preferred choice of army. Jimny is for that segment, not for us city dwellers who will buy this for mall crawling.

Jimny is not a feature rich comfortable box to get you from point A to point B. It's a specialized tool for a specific purpose and that is to go where our so called SUVs can't.
DevOnWheels is online now   (33) Thanks
Old 13th February 2023, 09:47   #633
BHPian

Quote:
Because you said it was practical. I showed you it isn't by comparing it to a hatchback like Ignis which has 500+ litres of boot space seats folded.
- Comparing it to a hatch is like comparing apples and oranges.

Quote:
My opinion is based on the estimated price of 15 lakhs.
- Estimates are all over the place. Some say 10, some say 15. Let's not speculate

Quote:
How is more space a disadvantage? Infact having a bigger vehicle is a plus point in India. How many elderly people go off-roading sitting behind? The Gurkha is longer, wider with more headroom, legroom than the Jimmy. It has captain seats for all and a boot space of 500 litres which is almost 2.5 times more than Jimmy.
- Taking more space adds to traffic jam, it's difficult to maneuver in tight spaces, gets scratched easily, not everyone has a budget and space for a fortuner or Thar or Gurkha, and who said anything about elderly going offroad? I mean, they can if they want to. The rear door seats appears perfectly in height for elderly people to get in and out for city runs. Just like those crossovers.
By that logic, the Isuzu V-Cross (which I am a BIG fan of and dream of owning and converting the bed into a pool for a sunday for kids) and toyota hilux must be selling like hot cakes.
There's more to it than that, reliability, fuss-free ownership, cheap maintenance/spares availability, service network etc. etc.

Quote:
That would involve spending more and voiding warranty.
- Warranty and spending - That's a niche risk people are willing to take. Nothing wrong with it.

Quote:
Because it is small. It won't work for a normal person as it's uncomfortable for a family. The Jimny is not a real SUV, it's a hatchback with 4x4.
- Not sure where you're getting that it's uncomfortable, it's a 4 seater. Unless you had a spin on the vehicle, let's wait for the reviews and test drives.

Quote:
Because you said it is perfect for a small family to go around the city as it's small. Please read reviews of Jimny to know about its ride quality.
The reviews online are of 3 door Jimny which is not here. Again, comparing apples to custard apples.

The 4/5 door is longer, heavier at the rear by 100 KGs, has longer wheelbase, that all must theoretically provide better ride quality on tarmac. But let's wait for test drives and reviews.

The reviews giving that are also from the big reviewers. See the individual reviewers who did long trips, they say it's not as bad as the big reviewers make it out to be. A lot of big reviewers are paid up and promoted folks. Always take them with a pinch of salt. Only a self TD or individual, unpaid reviews which are unbiased can be taken up.

Quote:
That's not a mountain but a red rock located at Sand Hollow State Park in Utah, USA. Can you share some videos of any vehicle starting from the base of a 1000 feet mountain and going all the way to the top?
Why would you want to see a vehicle to climb 1000 feet mountain? The offroading enthusiast in me is curious.

Quote:
That is exactly my point. Most people buy the Thar for its road presence than going off-road using 4x4, same is the case with Fortuner. People want to be seen in butch vehicles. The Jimny looks like a joke in front of them.
Jimny is not targeted at people who want absolute road presence. There's Thar 4x2 for that which is the cheapest in the lot with virtually no boot space. The Jimny target market is different. There's a reason why rally cars and the army uses the Gypsy and not those.

Quote:
Pre - sales hype is different from long term sales success. We can only wait and watch.
Let's wait and watch in that case..

Quote:
As I said earlier, none of that matters if it's not value for money. Price plays an important role in the Indian market.
Hope MS doesn't mess pricing up.

Quote:
What we need to understand is that niche products usually don't work in a country like India.
Thar was supposed to be a niche, but not anymore now. SUV market is a growing segment now. BTW Jimny is not a "HATCH WITH 4X4", it's classified as an SUV in India and International markets. for India, it's a sub 4m SUV. In Japan it's a Kei Car, the Indian sub 4m rule is picked from there. So it's a mini SUV. Not the hatch on heels like some other psuedo SUVs.

Last edited by AjayV : 13th February 2023 at 10:07.
AjayV is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 13th February 2023, 10:16   #634
BHPian

Bridgestone Dueler H/L (Highway Luxury) is a good tyre for normal road & off-road use. Lexus has been providing this in their RX450HL mid size SUV. I have driven with these tyres on normal roads, hilly terrains & simple off roading. Found them to be quite comfortable & with negligible tyre noise. They have good road grip.
Let’s see how they performs in Jimny.
Rahul Lal is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 13th February 2023, 11:07   #635

I booked the Jimny alpha AT on 14th Jan, 2023 and on the next day got a call from NEXA, Vashi, Navi Mumbai asking for my Aadhaar and PAN details. From then on, I am constantly asking the concerned sales guy for my punching details in their system and generation of SOB no. (allotment). He reiterates the same lines that the system is down/server issue/technical issues and what not. I don't know if any one in this forum has got the SOB/allotment no. till yet.

I called back home in Himachal and enquired with a trusted Maruti Suzuki dealership person about the allotment process. He told me that their service personnel had been to a training program specifically for Jimny and as per their assessment, each Nexa dealership will be alloted 05 nos. of Jimny in the first batch and as such there is no allotment process being followed. I don't know how true is that but when I told the same story to the Nexa guy in Vashi, he didn't have any clue. Any one in this forum who has got such info from any dealership or trusted sources.
balmagbrezjim is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2023, 12:25   #636
Senior - BHPian

When I read the posts made by CarNerd it reminds me of the time I was dragged into the cinema to watch "Mankatha" by a few friends who were inveterate fans of the actor Ajith Kumar. I am not particularly inclined to Tamil cinema and I was indifferent to the cast of the film.

What ensued was an assault on my senses and sensibilities, not to mention the laws of physics. It was a horror like nothing I had experienced before and the cinema seemed intent on destroying my eardrums. I chose to relinquish my seat after enduring 45 minutes of this torment.

Stepping out of the cinema and into the sunlight brought me back to life. I left my friends to enjoy the film and returned home.

The moral and relevance of this story should be fairly evident. Sometimes it is better to move on than to stay, argue and ruin everyone's mood, yours included. That said, there exists a category or online entity called a "Troll" who derives inexplicable satiation from precisely this sort of endeavor. The rest of us would do well to ignore.
gsferrari is offline   (51) Thanks
Old 13th February 2023, 12:39   #637
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AjayV View Post
- The 4/5 door is longer, heavier at the rear by 100 KGs, has longer wheelbase, that all must theoretically provide better ride quality on tarmac. But let's wait for test drives and reviews.

The reviews giving that are also from the big reviewers. See the individual reviewers who did long trips, they say it's not as bad as the big reviewers make it out to be. A lot of big reviewers are paid up and promoted folks. Always take them with a pinch of salt. Only a self TD or individual, unpaid reviews which are unbiased can be taken up.
The 5 door with the length and those really short overhangs has one important advantage. When compared to the 3 door, it will be atleast 25% more stable on uphill and downhill sections. It might not be as nimble in tricky narrow bends as the 3 door, but most situations can be cleared in a few attempts, which is better than an uphill/downhill rollover. Besides, it's still under 4 meters (and those plastic fenders will take most of the scrapes).

You are absolutely right about some of the popular reviewers. I dont want to name anybody, but there are a few completely uninformed and irresponsible big shots who don't do their homework before making a review. Paid or genuine, I have no idea, but these are TOTAL IDIOTS who know nothing about what they are talking. There are however some smalltime reviewers who actually understand the vehicles they review. They might not be fancy or have an air of superiority around them, but they speak genuinely about the product. You know an honest review when you hear it.
aravind422 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th February 2023, 13:52   #638
BHPian

Dear All, I think we are allowing ourselves to get trolled by an Internet Troll. We are meaninglessly debating around a person who has either some very biased opinions, or clearly does not understand the product. This is just resulting in the dilution of the forum, nothing else.

Last edited by BhaskarG : 13th February 2023 at 13:55.
BhaskarG is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 13th February 2023, 14:13   #639
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulken Auto View Post
I booked Zeta AT bluish black on 14 Jan. I owned a dark blue gypsy King ST when in school, it looked a killer . Any way i dont want the same color , but if its blackish blue I will go for it or else Grey or Yellow in Alpha variant.
What a beauty!
What a superb iconic vehicle.
You said you had this in school?
Or was it college?

I seem to remember this specific vehicle belonging to a friend of mine and fellow member cool_dube

Last edited by shankar.balan : 13th February 2023 at 14:17.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2023, 14:19   #640
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulken Auto View Post
I owned a dark blue gypsy King ST when in school, it looked a killer
I owned this Gypsy for a couple of years in the past, and the driver you see in there is me May I know the source of this picture, please?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
I seem to remember this specific vehicle belonging to a friend of mine and fellow member cool_dube
That is correct
cool_dube is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2023, 14:22   #641
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
I owned this Gypsy for a couple of years in the past, and the driver you see in there is me May I know the source of this picture, please?

That is correct
Tbhp, I owned a similar one , in 2000 . The nokia brick mobile age

Last edited by Vulken Auto : 13th February 2023 at 14:24.
Old 13th February 2023, 19:48   #642
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balmagbrezjim View Post
I booked the Jimny alpha AT on 14th Jan, 2023 and on the next day got a call from NEXA, Vashi, Navi Mumbai asking for my Aadhaar and PAN details. From then on, I am constantly asking the concerned sales guy for my punching details in their system and generation of SOB no. (allotment). He reiterates the same lines that the system is down/server issue/technical issues and what not. I don't know if any one in this forum has got the SOB/allotment no. till yet.

I called back home in Himachal and enquired with a trusted Maruti Suzuki dealership person about the allotment process. He told me that their service personnel had been to a training program specifically for Jimny and as per their assessment, each Nexa dealership will be alloted 05 nos. of Jimny in the first batch and as such there is no allotment process being followed. I don't know how true is that but when I told the same story to the Nexa guy in Vashi, he didn't have any clue. Any one in this forum who has got such info from any dealership or trusted sources.
Hi, I am from delhi and I had made my bank deposit on the 13th of jan with a dealer in south Delhi. I received my booking acknowledgement and SOB on the 19th Jan.
dyer_made is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2023, 00:08   #643
BHPian

I can't but chuckle at some of the posts related to Jimny's practicality and ride quality.

All I have to say is, Maruti Omni was shorter and narrower than the Alto; the engine had measly power and torque; any learner who drove it would have had first hand experience of uncontrolled pitch and roll; theoretically, it should've been the last name when people think about load carriers. But, it did well in the market, and there are folks I know who have sworn not to drive any other vehicle in their lives.

We are blessed to be part of a diverse country with folks belonging to many walks of life. Our automobile scene would be poorer without the likes of the Jimny around. I do hope that it is successful. If it is, it could prompt the car manufacturers to be bolder with their product choices.
buzzy_boy is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 14th February 2023, 08:19   #644
BHPian

Consumer companies alway try and expand market by creating new segments, generating some real, some nearly really excitement. If they dont do, someone else will. Electronics, clothes, FMCG items. Some click and some slowly disappear. Surely Jimmy is not a practical car, very much like Thar or Gurkha. Pick up, refinement, material comforts, space, none will match what we are mostly used to, in modern cars.
Off roaders they are. True blue? I dont know enough. Then how many of us have the skills or the passion of offroading? Doubt if too many.
May be they are life style cars. A new segment companies have been trying to create for some time, with limited success. Ignis has been reasonably successful. Was positioned as a life style car. Thar's booking suggest that it is successful as of now. After a year or two? No one knows.
Many of these cars start with a bang and then settled own to really middling numbers. Many of Mahindra cars unfortunately, fall in that segment, except XUV and Scorpio.
Whether Jimmy will crack it only time will tell. But surely will not be the first car in the family, second or Third may be.
Old 14th February 2023, 09:39   #645
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by badtman View Post
The true size of Jimny stumps many. Most people (including myself) didn't really consider the wheel arch extensions in the Jimny when comparing its width to other cars.

I just saw the number in the brochure (1,645 mm), which led me to believe that it was roomier than it actually is. Therefore, I made this illustration (true-to-scale) to help others gauge Jimny's true size before it hits the showrooms.

Attachment 2416664
Source: Official Brochure of Respective Cars

I used the Jimny from the Japanese market as a reference for this comparison. It comes without wheel arch extensions in order to qualify for Japan's Kei car requirements. This way the true size of the Jimny and the resultant internal space can be gauged.

At 1,475 mm wide, it's even narrower than the humble Alto! No wonder Maruti Suzuki has classified it as only a four-seater!
You are just visualising in 2 dimension, while the 5 door has a much longer wheelbase and your post in plainly misleading.

The 5 door Jimny has much wider passenger space as the wheelbase is longer and rear wheel wells are pushed backward, compared to the 3 door model.

IMO gauging the internal space through speculation is kind of useless at this point as there are actual videos by journalists from auto expo.

Faisal khan is a very very tall guy, see how much space he gets in the rear of the Jimny 5-door even with the driver's seat adjusted to his position. It is a four seater but much more spacious than its 3 door kei car counterpart which you have compared to.

tarmacnaut is offline   (7) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks