Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 29th February 2024, 07:59   #211
BHPian

re: My brand-new Tata Safari has been fully disassembled | EDIT: Dealer offers full refund!

@sln like what @DivyanshuDiv has said, take a competent mechanic/engineer along with you while taking the car back. Record EVERYTHING, so a proper PDI and check every nook and corner for rattles/squeaks. Take a very long TD with the service manager present.

Like how @d3mon said, the unprofessional way in which the parts seem to have been disassembled (judging from the pictures), the car will have a high risk of rattles. I know, because I experienced the same with 2016 Tiago. Now, the actual car has been mechanically reliable, but I took it to the SC back in 2017 to fix one rattle coming from the MID area and for the first 2 visits, they didn't do anything. On the third visit, they opened the dashboard, didn't fix the rattle, introduced 10 new rattles and stuck 4 pieces of white packing material (not the thermocol type) on all four corners of the MID area. After a couple of visits, I actually gave up and just started to ignore the rattles. Your situation MIGHT be much more worse since almost all of the interior panels were removed. If you see the way in which they remove panels, you'd think they were cavemen from thousands of years ago learning to use tools.
SaiSW is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th February 2024, 10:52   #212
sln

re: My brand-new Tata Safari has been fully disassembled | EDIT: Dealer offers full refund!

I haven’t checked the car yet. If you have seen any niggles or qc issues in Tata Tata Safari facelift, please share here so me or anyone in the future can verify them. I am planning to do YouTube live when I am going to take the car. The place and time is not confirmed to me yet.

I am taking the car because I am left with no choice or any acceptable offer. I paid for the extended warranty at the time of buying the car. So any offer to the car like AMC is puny compared to what happened to the car and what we have undergone in the last 30 days. Obviously this won’t end here I will approach consumer court. If any of you have good references to lawyers, do send it to me in direct message.

We are going to document and record everything that happens to the car in the future. Install Dash cameras to record 24/7 both external and internal if possible with cloud backup. Please suggest some best dash cams and noise level recorders, or any other tools that can diagnose the car issues.

Obviously I have to keep a fire extinguisher, because God knows what may happen to the car after an incident with smoke already. We will never feel safe in the car, even though safety was the first reason to buy it. I feel like I haven’t RECLAIMED my life but UNCLAIMED my Life. Definitely opposite to what Tata has promised in their advertisements.

I kept requesting them and will request them one more time to consider my situation and provide me an acceptable offer before I have to take the car.
sln is offline   (56) Thanks
Old 29th February 2024, 11:16   #213
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sln View Post

Obviously I have to keep a fire extinguisher, because God knows what may happen to the car after an incident with smoke already. We will never feel safe in the car, even though safety was the first reason to buy it. I feel like I haven’t RECLAIMED my life but UNCLAIMED my Life. Definitely opposite to what Tata has promised in their advertisements.
Why would you want to endure the hassle and invest more in a dashcam, fire extinguisher, etc.? Just sell the car; it may incur a 10% loss from its original value, but move on. If it doesn't feel mentally safe, there is no cost too high for safety. Infact you would invest more cost and time on a lawyer and in courts.
vishal9999 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 29th February 2024, 11:39   #214
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
IObviously this won’t end here I will approach consumer court. If any of you have good references to lawyers, do send it to me in direct message.
I had argued for a new car as the best way forward in earlier posts. But approaching consumer courts may be futile. If Tata claim they have repaired the car and there are no major functional issues, don't think any consumer laws will help you. For cosmetic issues or squeaks or rattles which arise out of repair may not be covered under existing Lemon laws for replacement of car or compensation.
As per the videos you posted this is not a new thing for Tata. As recommended if issues persist, better cut losses by selling the car ASAP.

Last edited by poloman : 29th February 2024 at 11:40.
poloman is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th February 2024, 12:36   #215
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am taking the car because I am left with no choice or any acceptable offer.
Am happy the car is back on roads, take a 4-5 Lac loss, it is a new car, there will be someone ready to take the risk. Close the loan (if any), get a used T-Fort or even a Innova and lead a stress free life.

It is not worth to get BP, stress and eventually unhappiness inside family over a depreciating asset. Lesson learnt the very hard way, cancel a expensive foreign vacation this year and enjoy a Toyota around 2-3 nearby states on a road trip. There are many more things to focus rather than a bad quality & a very expensive car. Just get it over with ASAP.
svsantosh is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 29th February 2024, 20:54   #216
BHPian

Mental note to myself: Never consider a Tata Motors vehicle when I eventually come back to India. I have worked in industrial aftermarket and services all my life, and this is among the worst examples of service delivery and customer experience I have known.

As for quality control, I don't think Tata Motors understands the concept going by the general sentiments and anecdotes on this thread. I worked for Stellantis for a few years in Paris, and I had the opportunity to do shifts on the assembly line for a month (mandatory for new, young hires irrespective of what function/department they worked in), and the QC on the assembly line was impeccable. Not to mention the continuous improvement that takes place systematically on the line to improve the cars. This is table stakes for any manufacturer that wants to succeed today.
schumi_pete is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 29th February 2024, 21:13   #217
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by schumi_pete View Post
As for quality control, I don't think Tata Motors understands the concept going by the general sentiments and anecdotes on this thread. I worked for Stellantis for a few years in Paris, and I had the opportunity to do shifts on the assembly line for a month (mandatory for new, young hires irrespective of what function/department they worked in), and the QC on the assembly line was impeccable. Not to mention the continuous improvement that takes place systematically on the line to improve the cars. This is table stakes for any manufacturer that wants to succeed today.
Between Stellantis and a Tata, in India you are better off with a Tata - except for this one.

And as I had mentioned elsewhere as well, Harrier twins are an anomaly even for a Tata, for some reason they selected this old platform with a Frankenstein mix of things. By the time they perfect this it would be time for an all new car.

Stellantis globally is known for very poor quality and customer service. I have worked with them, they are great at marketing, design etc but I won't buy even a pencil sharpener from them if I were to use it everyday.

Last edited by Axe77 : 2nd March 2024 at 01:04.
Kosfactor is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 29th February 2024, 21:59   #218

Was confused between XUV700 AX7L and Safari Accomplished Plus after I test drove both few days ago. Thanks Tata, you made it so easy. XUV it is.

@Sln you do what's necessary. It's your hard earned money. Tata needs to get their act together now.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 29th February 2024 at 22:23. Reason: Typos and formatting.
Arclight09 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 29th February 2024, 23:53   #219
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
Between Stellantis and a Tata , in India you are better off with a Tata - except for this one.
I am not disputing this as I don't know how the QC is in their Indian operations. But in one of their largest factories in Poissy, just outside Paris, their assembly line was impeccable. Mind you, this is from 12 years ago, so I don't know how well or badly it is run today !

I have never been a fan of the engines, and the THP engine especially had known issues.
schumi_pete is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st March 2024, 09:07   #220
BHPian

Quote:
I will approach consumer court. If any of you have good references to lawyers, do send it to me in direct message.
One of the biggest advantages in consumer cases is that an individual can fight their own case without a lawyer. However, to file a complaint in accordance with the provisions it is better to seek the help of professional lawyers. I think you mentioned your sister is a lawyer maybe she can do the paper work.

My uncle was involved in a case like this against VW. It took him 3 years and a NBW issuance warning against VW local executives to get his 1 Lakh back. But totally not worth it as many of our members advised.

Very sad that you got a lemon and Tata won't do anything about it. I am sure your saga costed them at least 1k bookings so far. And I am also sure they don't care because its a very govt. like bureaucratically run company. BTW I am a former Hexa customer with absolutely no issues either with Tata or the after sales service.

Your options are either you can sell it off in a month or so or use it like its a test drive vehicle by never babying it and having absolute super fun. But don't go back to that dealer again. Contact Hari Prasad garu at Pranavi Motors in Kompally if you require anything. They took great care of my Hexa for 70k kms. And Yes, I went to a Crysta from the Hexa
krishnakarthik1 is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 1st March 2024, 09:44   #221
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
Am happy the car is back on roads, take a 4-5 Lac loss, it is a new car, there will be someone ready to take the risk. Close the loan (if any), get a used T-Fort or even a Innova and lead a stress free life.

It is not worth to get BP, stress and eventually unhappiness inside family over a depreciating asset. Lesson learnt the very hard way, cancel a expensive foreign vacation this year and enjoy a Toyota around 2-3 nearby states on a road trip. There are many more things to focus rather than a bad quality & a very expensive car. Just get it over with ASAP.
+1 to this. Our judicial system is slow and will drain your patience. Try to negotiate a sale at a better price with the same dealer if possible.

Regards,
Lsjey
lsjey is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2024, 10:27   #222
Senior - BHPian

This is precisely that remains an open issue at TML. The organization very much operates like a bureaucratic setup toing the line of “license raj”. This was a case of going “above & beyond” for TML considering a brand-new car has sentimental value for the owner, its extended family and the general ecosystem that gets influenced.

Drive it for now, if nothing goes wrong, you are good. If things fall apart, get it fixed within warranty and sell the car immediately.
i74js is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st March 2024, 10:47   #223

As others have pointed out, just take a financial hit and sell the car. Every time you take the car out, you will have some apprehension in your mind about the cars reliability. You wont be able to enjoy the car, nor will be able to go for long road trips. As I have dealt with court cases, I would suggest not to go to consumer court. Legal process is too slow and you will be drained of all the energy and more money. Sell the car, get another one and forget this all as a bad dream. We always have something more important and lovable to do..
Old 1st March 2024, 11:09   #224
BHPian

I would suggest go to consumer court. Pull the company, so that they would learn what is customer impact.
Only thing you need to have a good lawyer and willing to wait,
Old 1st March 2024, 11:11   #225
BHPian

Use the car for some days extensively … resale value won’t change much today versus 90 days . So test the limits of the car on a long vacation . If anything goes wrong get rectified in warranty and decide to sell it off based on type of issue. If nothing goes wrong you were just unlucky with the initial issue.
If your experience in 90 days is great you will forget the initial harassment in long run.
But agree Tata should have handled it better
steadfast is online now   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks