Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 1st March 2024, 11:16   #226
BHPian

re: My brand-new Tata Safari has been fully disassembled | EDIT: Dealer offers full refund!

While I admire TATA for doing what they are doing on the safety and design front. But their last mile delivery and service is what will help dig their own grave.
lionell is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2024, 11:46   #227
BHPian

re: My brand-new Tata Safari has been fully disassembled | EDIT: Dealer offers full refund!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sln View Post
I am taking the car because I am left with no choice or any acceptable offer.
Would accepting anything like AMC/Accessories from them be used against you if you decide to continue fighting this in court (Can they say they compensated for your loss in some way - and you accepted - by accepting the car post repairs)?

I think it is about time we have a curated thread with Tata QC issues in brand new cars and link that in all review threads - on top of the regular Tata niggles warning. Or how about anyone who has suffered chips in to put up a billboard with a QR code to this thread outside a Tata factory to draw some media attention to this menace and shame them to improve. Or pay up for running AD's that links to that thread (target it to all prospective Tata customers)? Would there be anything illegal about it? defamation? It is not defamation if its facts - backed by owners themselves?

Tata is still the same (a thread from 2005):
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...pg-40-a-3.html (Protest against Tata Motors.EDIT Supreme Court Orders Tata to repair Sumo (pg.40))

Isn't Tata #2/3 manufacturer in the country? Is this what they can offer to the people who were vocal for the 'local' brand? Shouldn't we as India's premier automobile forum for enthusiasts push them to be better?

Last edited by thomahawk : 1st March 2024 at 11:48.
thomahawk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2024, 11:53   #228
BHPian

Seems TATA Motors is living up to it's not-so-trustworthy image! Ridiculous that they are putting a customer through such a terrible ordeal. No matter the price of the car, no customer should have to go through such trauma after spending his hard-earned money. The only recourse in this case would be to approach the consumer court. It's really appalling that in this day and age, companies still have the gall to mistreat customers in such a shoddy way, knowing fully well that social media can create backlash. Unable to understand the thought process of the dealer/company in this regard.

P.s. All customers should definitely be "Vocal for Local", but also vocal for the many niggles of local!
IamNikhil is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 1st March 2024, 13:07   #229
BANNED

Quote:
Another break down of Tata Safari.. similar wiring issue.

https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=ftf70mfxM7c

https://twitter.com/MUpwanshi/status...13538461585510

Update:
I am being forced to take the car without any option of replacement and refund. I will be taking the car soon. I will put more updates. Thank you.
This was not the right choice of taking the same car after all these defects in 1 or 2 days after the car delivery.

It seems before signing the documents from Dealer end, each customer need to have a separate document which need to be signed by Tata and dealers before taking delivery for manufacturing and dealer side defects.

I believe at some point of time, most car buyers will be united to not buy any cars from TATA motors. Who knows.

Last edited by dmaheshkumar : 1st March 2024 at 13:18.
dmaheshkumar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st March 2024, 13:18   #230
BHPian

Tata always had electrical problems, but so did the first-generation XUV500. Look how far Mahindra has come with XUV 700 while Tata still remains in a similar position as it was in 2011.

Seems like they not only used LR's platform but also learned how to mess up electronics in a car from them.

Remember how there's a saying, McDonnell Douglas bought Boeing with Boeing money? Kinda similar things seems to be happening with the Harrier twins.
abhi9044 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st March 2024, 13:43   #231

Quote:
I am planning to do YouTube live when I am going to take the car. The place and time is not confirmed to me yet.
When you take delivery of the car please consider these suggestions -

1. Do not sign/acknowledge any letter/email/document/form given to you from the dealer/manufacturer which states anything like "matter is closed to your satisfaction" or anything that absolves them of any future liability or legal action. Keep proper records of all correspondence that you have had with them throughout the course of this ordeal.

2. Before accepting the car, insist that the staff move it to a well-lit area and preferably take delivery during daytime. This will help you to thoroughly inspect the interior panels and trim, as well as the exterior panels for any issues. Do not fall for any pressure tactics where they try to hurry you into finishing off your inspection quickly. Take your own sweet time - remember they took their own sweet time too (30+ days).

3. Even though you have (unwillingly) claimed warranty, they might still charge you for certain items depending on what's covered in the warranty policy - just read through your warranty policy beforehand so you know what to expect when you receive the bill. Suppose you are satisfied and do take delivery of the car, tell them you will be testing the car for a week or two, and if you find any issues (hopefully not), they will have to fix these at no additional cost to you.

4. If you want to do a YouTube live, probably have somebody else handle the camera so that you aren't distracted when you do the inspection. Be ready for some resistance from them, when you tell them you're recording everything.

5. After everything is done, if you still have apprehensions about the car, consider selling it for a small financial hit now - but better peace of mind for you and your family on the long term. I have personally bought 4 different cars from Tata during my lifetime and one of them was a complete lemon but the other 3 were just fantastic. I realized I had bought the lemon immediately at launch, but the others were 1+ year old models - maybe Tata's QC needs some teething time for new models.

Again, these are just suggestions. I do hope that you have a favorable outcome.
xja1 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 1st March 2024, 13:45   #232
BHPian

If the above post is a not a posterchild case for stricter Lemon Law regulations, then nothing else will. If we were living in a proper developed country and not a borderline anarchy like ours, then Tata would not only had to take the car back three days ago, but also pay the customer for mental harrassment.

Its sad to see that the Dealer lobby and Automaker-politician nexus is so strong that no regulation or oversight body exist to enforce basic product quality and safety requirements.

At this point, unless a customer resorts to jingoistic activities like applying posters on the car and turning it into a Municipal Sewage vehicle, the customer is nothing but a statistic in a spreadsheet.

But we are educated middleclass Indians who have learned to keep their head down and be part of the rat race.
Vkap257 is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 1st March 2024, 13:45   #233
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamNikhil View Post
Unable to understand the thought process of the dealer/company in this regard.
[/i]
I have been giving this some thought as well. There have been regular reports of dealer apathy towards customers.

My hypothesis is that the entire organisation and its partners (dealers/ service centre) only function on sales incentives, or on no incentives at all. No one is tracking customer satisfaction or service levels. It gives me the vibe of a rogue organization where deceit is hardwired into the culture. Classic case of non-alignment of interests of business and customer.

I can't think of a corporate structure where such apathy would be allowed to persist, if they were even slightly respectful of the customer's interests. It's a shame that this is coming from a Tata group company, which is otherwise held in very high regard by all Indians.

I hope OP is able to move-on quickly and give his money to someone who respects it.
dhruvagarwal is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2024, 15:02   #234
BHPian

Just wanted to share this which I found on Google feeds - it's between a customer and Ford India.
Somewhere in between it states "Why should a consumer accept a repaired product after paying the full price for a new one? The district commission has thus rightly observed that even if the engine of the car is replaced with new one, the uncertainty about the efficiency and quality of the vehicle always remains in the mind of the complainant”*

https://indianexpress.com/article/ci...erest-9189443/
DivyanshuDiv is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st March 2024, 17:16   #235

As someone who has been driving a 17 year old city between Maharashtra and its neighboring states, I would urge you to consider options that don't entail you traveling by this car. I know how driving an unreliable car feels like. The car maybe great, without any issues but the fear of a breakdown when traveling with family over thousands of kilometers, the knowledge that there is a great degree of uncertainty of the car will be a debilitating factor. I am assuming that you spent 1/3rd of a crore because you wanted to enjoy long drives or adventure drives, none you can do with a peace of mind.
Old 1st March 2024, 17:18   #236
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStoryweaver View Post
It really puts a big question on head. What is so difficult for an Indian giant to get things right at the base? It really makes difficult for prospective buyers to even consider putting their hard money on them.

On a serious note, i am questioning what could be the problem on the assembly line that when a car rolls out it is filled with weird QC issues? I would appreciate forum members to help to know what could be the thing. So many cars rolling out of TATA’s assembly line developing issues?
Is it the inferior quality supplier, inferior QC check , mismanaged assembly line due to overcomplicated model list? what could it be?
Based on my experience of working in a Japanese car manufacturing company, I can say that such issues can happen due to multiple reasons starting from the manufacturing quality at the supplier, parts transportation quality, storage quality, parts handling quality, etc... These issues are bound to happen and requires decades of efforts to improve. But the main culprit sometimes is the culture of the company.
We need to have a culture to prevent defects. Employees who identify defects must be rewarded, not reprimanded. The working environment should be such that, say if an employee drops a part like starter motor on the floor, he should be made to feel like reporting it to his boss instead of hiding his mistake. The boss should be made to feel like justifying that part as scrap even though there is no visible defect but may have internal defects. The top management must approve the scrap cost and take a hit on the profit and feel happy that the employees are focused on producing a quality free product. Parallely the shop floor leaders must focus on investigating why the part fell down and how it can be avoided by improving the ergonomics for example. This is how a Japanese factory works.

So i strongly feel a defect free car comes first from the quality focused culture. Systems and operations will follow the culture.

Note: I have no experience of working in TATA and I am not saying TATA does not have quality culture. The above issue may not be related to the work culture of TATA
shrinz.vivek is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 1st March 2024, 17:43   #237
BHPian

Was deciding on the Nexon EV but seeing this Saga, will head the MG ES or Hyundai Ioniq 5 way. Sorry to hear about your ordeal.
Old 1st March 2024, 17:49   #238
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheeledwanderer View Post
Was deciding on the Nexon EV but seeing this Saga, will head the MG ES or Hyundai Ioniq 5 way. Sorry to hear about your ordeal.
Off topic, but don't forget to check the Atto3 too.
TheRandomGuy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st March 2024, 17:55   #239
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Thanks for the Thread. While I am all for "Vocal for local", it's just a emotional way of looking at things. I almost fell in the trap before taking a hard look at my own requirement & was woken up by few good friends.

Would suggest to cut the losses, sell the car and move on to Japanese or Koreans OEM. you will never be able to trust the car. It's you hard earned money & nothing is more imp than peace of mind.

If you to consumer court, you will spend few years in litigation with a paltry 10K penalty to TATA and another 10K as compensation with court directing TATA to repair the car
Old 1st March 2024, 18:11   #240
BHPian

I am in the market for a new car. I test-drove both the new Tata Safari and Harrier, and they are excellent cars. However, after reading an article, I am hesitant to consider them. While defects can be found in any new car, what matters most is how the company takes care of its customers. I have already influenced a couple of close friends and family members not to choose Tata Cars for peace of mind.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks