Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th August 2009, 16:39   #451
BHPian

Can someone post pictures of the leather seat please. Also please help me in sourcing the roof gutter trims. I am in Bangalore( actually i have not searched for it)
Old 26th August 2009, 04:25   #452
BHPian

85 Ss80 Dx

Dear Friends,

Off late I have been bit by SS80 bug. This has driven a sane hard-working individual like me to near insanity... I had Googled 'SS80' on the net and the top three results lead to this TBhp thread..Kudos to the thread starter for this great source of info for car nuts like me.

I hope to join the SS80 club soon!!

I have been offered a restorable SS80 DX.
Spec: 1985 SS80 DX
Colour: New-zealand Brown
Mechanicals:Bad Muffler, A/C not working, Tyres are Bad (Bias Ply).
Body: OK for its age. would need restoration
Odometer Reading:27,000.Claims to be Genuine
Documents: FC and Tax Upto 2011. original A/C Manual available. Service Manual N/A.
Insurance:Comprehensive Insurance Needs Renewal.

I am taking the 5:00 AM train to see the car. Keeping my fingers crossed.
If my negotiation skills are good enough I will be posting Pics of my own SS80 DX today!!!!!

Wish me Luck!!

PS: I have been pestering the SS80 Guru a.k.a Ajay99 for his valuable inputs on the same for the last so many days. Thanks for your patience!!
Old 26th August 2009, 11:06   #453
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureshkishore View Post
Wish me Luck!!

PS: I have been pestering the SS80 Guru a.k.a Ajay99 for his valuable inputs on the same for the last so many days. Thanks for your patience!!
Wishing you good luck to join the SS80 club soon !.
Old 26th August 2009, 22:54   #454
BHPian

My Own SS80 atlast!!!!

Today Morning at 8:00 Am I became a proud owner of a SS80 DX.

The first pics are attached.

Body- Apart from LH doors and a quarter panel the entire vehicle has the original factory paint.

Mechanical: Excellent. Seems that the 27000kms odo is genuine. He tells me the Tires are OE ones and the Spare is still almost unused. All are CEAT safety drive bias ply.

The previous owner was an NRI who used to visit during vacations. The muffler is badly corroded and the A/C belt is missing.
Originality: I cant still believe that I got my hands on this beauty in such an original shape. Apart form LH side Sealed Beam head lamp rest all are available. (Including the Geodore tool Kit)

Points I want to add:

The original OE Leather Seat cover Is a dull brown shade:

The carpets are in two Layers. Thick Beige carpet over Grey Felt Floor Cover.

Clarion Radio Has Only AM/Cassette and no FM.

A/C compressor is made by Sanden Corporation Japan.
A/C pipes are Made By Yokohama.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Suzuki SS80 DX-clock.jpg  

Maruti Suzuki SS80 DX-console.jpg  

Maruti Suzuki SS80 DX-front.jpg  

Maruti Suzuki SS80 DX-instrument.jpg  

Maruti Suzuki SS80 DX-rear.jpg  

Old 26th August 2009, 23:23   #455
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats on your acquisition! You sure are lucky to get hold of a genuine "unmolested" DX!!

As for the seatsm they are supposed to be beige. White cars had tan ones. Maybe the ones in your car have gone dirty, thus explaining the dull brown shade?
Old 27th August 2009, 10:26   #456
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureshkishore View Post
Today Morning at 8:00 Am I became a proud owner of a SS80 DX.
Congrats Sureshkishore! The car looks really nice and Iam sure it will look and ride much better once you address all the small issues. Check the date of manufacture on the tyres to confirm the odometer reading. Also please post some pictures of the seats.

Last edited by Jai3033 : 27th August 2009 at 10:28.
Old 27th August 2009, 11:29   #457
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Kishore ! The car seems to be in great shape cosmetically ! I'm sure you would have checked to ensure that it is in great shape mechanically as well !
Old 27th August 2009, 11:38   #458
Senior - BHPian

Great news!!! congrats!!!!

Mind sharing how much you paid for this engineering marvel.

Pramod
Old 27th August 2009, 19:28   #459
BHPian

Thank You All!

Jai I will soon post the pics of the seat.

Today Morning I took care of one of the few niggles in the car, the worn water Pump belt. Got the A/C checked, it works absolutely fine Just the Belt was missing. need to top up the refrigerant. But R12 is difficult to fing nowadays. Got a quote for 1500 Rs just for a Top Up. Belt cost only 60 Rs.
Muffler leak needs to be welded. Else get an OE muffler which albeit would be rather difficult and obviously not cheap.
Ignition Coil Needs to be replaced. During the 220Km drive yesterday needed frequent breaks just to cool down the IG coil. About 300Rs to replace.

Tyres: I had checked I could not find any date on them.
Planning for 145/70 R12 on New rims( or paint the existing ones). Estimate 6500/-.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jai3033 View Post
Congrats Sureshkishore! Check the date of manufacture on the tyres to confirm the odometer reading. Also please post some pictures of the seats.
will do it tommorow

Quote:
Originally Posted by kannan666 View Post
Congrats Kishore !
Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
Great news!!! congrats!!!!

Mind sharing how much you paid for this engineering marvel.

Pramod
Thanks to all!
Old 27th August 2009, 20:05   #460
BHPian

Our family owned a white Maruti SS80 DX back in the early 80s. It was a beauty and fun to ride especially after an upgrade (or downgrade) from our Mark III amby which had served us for many years.

The SS80 was a superb city car and the FE was amazing. All that the SS80 needed was some regular servicing and it served us many years without any problems. In 1996, we got the esteem VXI that replaced the SS80 as our dialy ride. The SS80 stayed in the household until about year 2000 which was then sold off to a buyer in Raichur. Let me check and see if I can pull up my old pics archive for our SS80.
Old 27th August 2009, 20:38   #461
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddvi View Post
Our family owned a white Maruti SS80 DX back in the early 80s. It was a beauty and fun to ride especially after an upgrade (or downgrade) from our Mark III amby which had served us for many years.

The SS80 was a superb city car and the FE was amazing. All that the SS80 needed was some regular servicing and it served us many years without any problems. In 1996, we got the esteem VXI that replaced the SS80 as our dialy ride. The SS80 stayed in the household until about year 2000 which was then sold off to a buyer in Raichur. Let me check and see if I can pull up my old pics archive for our SS80.
The car is still a superb city car. On the weekends when its difficult to find parking anywhere around busy places, i find this to be the best as it fits even in a small parking place mainly because it is not so wide and long and the car has a very good steering system which i feel is the best.
Old 27th August 2009, 21:38   #462
BHPian

i am in urgent need of a wiper arm for my ss80.. its mansoon in malnad and can't manage with my existing (broken but fixed) wiper arm. I tried other varieties that has the same screw type fixing, but cant put them for many reasons. can anyone out there help me with this. It the original or any other after market wiper arm is available for ss80 models?
also
i need to change the floor carpet of my car. I think the original carpet came in two layer one paded like installation (buff color) and upon it a wollen kinda carpet(black). The padded layer is gone for now and there is only this wollen kinda carpet. what kind of material is this and is it still available? any other suggestions is welcomed. i fell the cabin is much noisy without these carpets. is is so.?
Old 28th August 2009, 13:12   #463
BHPian

I picked a pair from kuttukaran automobiles near minerva circle, Bangalore. Then the guy told they were the last 2 pieces. Try there may be he can get you.
Old 29th August 2009, 13:59   #464
Senior - BHPian

suresh kishore's car is really looking nice except for the faded exteriors.
genuine japan car!!!
Old 29th August 2009, 14:34   #465
BHPian

SS80 engine room

Maruti Suzuki SS80 DX-engine-room1.jpg
This is a photo of an SS80 Std in almost perfect condition. The engine room looked so clean and original that I thought I should post the pic here.

This vehicle is on permanent display at Popular Vehicles Maruti Showroom In kottayam as part of their 25th aniversary celebration.

The few points I had noticed was:
  • Purolator Air Filter assy (Looks similiar to SB308 ones but with a Lever to adjust air intake temperature(In winter heated air from exhaust manifold side is taken) Seen similiar mechanism in Maruti 1000 also.
  • The space between the Cowl top and the File wall has provision to Hold the Jack lever and Jack.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks