Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th October 2009, 10:46   #601
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillram View Post
Chilean SS 80 is a treat to eyes.Look at the fabulous metallic shade!!

Friends need further advise:
- Regarding my rims..see my earlier post.
- Can someone indicate the right position of the badges on the rear of the car through pics?
- Can i find new window glasses that can be fitted on SS 80,will a new Maruti 800 glasses suit SS80?

I doubt if you can find the original window glasses. I had searched for the original windshield and had found a couple of original ones here in Bangalore but they were again scratched due to bad storage, both the tinted and non tinted. I guess after market glasses from atultuf etc must be available.
Old 10th October 2009, 11:24   #602
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Thanks! Where exactly is this place?
Shyam you will find it at the beginning of Minister Rd on the left hand side while coming from Ranigunj.
Old 13th October 2009, 15:56   #603
Senior - BHPian

Unveiling my 1985 SS 80 DX

Finally after nearly 1 month of my friend Shyam's acquisition,Im also proud to present my 1985 Maruti Suzuki 80 SS DX version which took nearly 3 weeks to restore and bring back to shape.
Since i discovered this car lying near my house and appraoched the owner to seal the deal and bring the car into my stable,I had to spend quite a few days with my mechanic to bridge all the gaps in terms of Engine Functionality,External and Internal appearances.
The car is in stock red colour reasonable maintained.
My journey began with first opening the carburattor, a beautiful Mikuni Japanese made device and soon ended up changing the packing to pins and tuning the carb,adjusting the shutters etc.Once this was complete,i changed the filters-Air and Petrol and topped up the oils and voila the engine was roaring.
Next to get fixed was the A/c unit with complete servicing of the compressor and filling the gas and adjusting the relay timer.
Once the technicalities were done,I went to Rexine Land and picked up art leather White and Black with red piping and soon the seats adorned new look.
Since the SS 80 DX came with tinted glasses,I was in 2 minds to remove the tint to also increase the efficiency.A quick poll from my fellow T-Bhpians and the tint came off over the weekend.
Final quest was for the logos,monograms and it was a hunt for needle in a haystack.Maruti showrooms in Hyderabad didnt help me much.Finally located these stuff which were closest to the original in Lucky Autoparts and stuck them to the car early this morning.
Today after all the preparations,I took the car for a nearly 100 km spin till Vikarabad and came back in good shape.
Believe me guys i was touching close to 110 kn with Ac switched off.A wonderful feeling.
Im very happy about the originality of the car to name a few:
- 800 cc Suzuki Engine
- Mikuni Carburattor
- Denso AC Compressor
- Denso Alternator
- Suzuki Tempalex glasses with original tint
- Alpha Toyo Tail lights and Indicators (though would have loved to have
Tokai Denso)
- Ashimora Seat Belts
- Stanley sealed beams
- Original Beige carpet

Last few months i spent going through the thread and was wondering if this beauty would ever be mine and I would join the club of many joyous owners.Finally the day ahs come to unleash it.
My sincere thanks to fellow Team Bhpains Wasim,Suresh for guiding me through the restoration and a big shout to Shyam for his great support.If not for Stanher aka Shyam,I wouldnt have owned this beauty.
Voila i will let the pictures do the talking
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Suzuki SS80 DX-pa120001.jpg  

Maruti Suzuki SS80 DX-pa120008.jpg  

Maruti Suzuki SS80 DX-pa120009.jpg  

Maruti Suzuki SS80 DX-pa120011.jpg  

Maruti Suzuki SS80 DX-pa120012.jpg  

Maruti Suzuki SS80 DX-pa120013.jpg  

Maruti Suzuki SS80 DX-pa120014.jpg  

Maruti Suzuki SS80 DX-pa120016.jpg  

Maruti Suzuki SS80 DX-pa120017.jpg  

Maruti Suzuki SS80 DX-pa120018.jpg  

Maruti Suzuki SS80 DX-pa120019.jpg  

Maruti Suzuki SS80 DX-pa120020.jpg  

Maruti Suzuki SS80 DX-pa120021.jpg  

Maruti Suzuki SS80 DX-pa120022.jpg  

Maruti Suzuki SS80 DX-pa120023.jpg  

Maruti Suzuki SS80 DX-pa120024.jpg  

Maruti Suzuki SS80 DX-pa120028.jpg  

Maruti Suzuki SS80 DX-pa130011.jpg  

Attached Images

Old 13th October 2009, 16:07   #604
BHPian

Ram, the car looks lovely indeed. Congrats on your new acquisition.
Old 13th October 2009, 17:04   #605
Senior - BHPian

Hi Ram.

Congrats Man the car looks neat and you look like you are having a blast with it. Reminds me a lot about my red Dx it was AHX 989.

You know on the rear panel the silver stripe between the lights needs to be matched with another slightly thinner one just above teh bumper starting from the bottom of the light assembly.

In the interest of even running and good economy do change the spark plug cables, points and condensor too.

Later you can look into a set of radials in the interest of safety at high speeds !!

Last edited by wasif : 13th October 2009 at 17:05.
Old 13th October 2009, 17:16   #606
BHPian

Hi ram, congratulations you own a very neat beauty there. I admire it very much. Its a pleasure seeing your car. Its maintained well. Keep it up.
Old 13th October 2009, 17:55   #607
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post

In the interest of even running and good economy do change the spark plug cables, points and condensor too
Yes Wasif..I intend to gofor further refinery next week post diwali.Thanks for the tip yet again pal.
Old 13th October 2009, 19:26   #608
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
Hi Ram.

Congrats Man the car looks neat and you look like you are having a blast with it. Reminds me a lot about my red Dx it was AHX 989.

You know on the rear panel the silver stripe between the lights needs to be matched with another slightly thinner one just above teh bumper starting from the bottom of the light assembly.

In the interest of even running and good economy do change the spark plug cables, points and condensor too.

Later you can look into a set of radials in the interest of safety at high speeds !!

Both the stripes upper and lower are of the same dimensions and have a black thin line on the top and bottom of the silver stripe which is the base.
I think this strip is not the original one.see sureshkishores car for the original strip
Old 13th October 2009, 19:29   #609
Senior - BHPian

A pair of NOS STANLEY sealed beams (headlight) in original box is available with a friend .pm me if genuinely interested
Old 13th October 2009, 19:50   #610
BHPian

Maruthi SS80

Hello Ram,
You have a beautiful car there.
Old 13th October 2009, 21:51   #611
BHPian

Hi Ram,

Very good buy. Congratssss
Old 13th October 2009, 22:10   #612
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillram View Post
Im also proud to present my 1985 Maruti Suzuki 80 SS DX version which took nearly 3 weeks to restore and bring back to shape.
Since the SS 80 DX came with tinted glasses,I was in 2 minds to remove the tint to also increase the efficiency.A quick poll from my fellow T-Bhpians and the tint came off over the weekend.
Final quest was for the logos,monograms and it was a hunt for needle in a haystack.Maruti showrooms in Hyderabad didnt help me much.Finally located these stuff which were closest to the original in Lucky Autoparts and stuck them to the car early this morning.a big shout to Shyam for his great support.If not for Stanher aka Shyam,I wouldnt have owned this beauty.
Congrats again, ram!

All in all, seems to be a real nice car! Is the paint original? Even though it appears a notch less than it's usual sheen, it still has that appeal it is known to have on the SS80!
I hope your initial intention of changing the colour is a thing of the past now!
And this is just THE kind of SS80 I'd love- clean and decent with no flashy pretensions despite being in an attractive hue. Come to think of it, that'd be the kind of girl I'd love too!

A pity I didn't pass by Shakeel's before you did!

I would've retained the tinted glasses though, useful for summers with the AC on.
Do you intend to keep them btw? Good that you managed to find original plain ones too.

'had driven my SS80 on Sunday night to and from the airport to pick my mom up that midnight. 'had the oil changed and servicing done the day before. She ran like wild with no problems during the drive....but of course for the horrid roads on the way, especially in places like Barkas!!
Old 13th October 2009, 23:46   #613
BHPian

To all Ss80 owners out here in the forum help me out with this if possible. These are the little things i require for my car. Any ideas if these parts are still available? Please let me know about it. Preferably in banglore.
1. Rear seat lock of right side.. The one with a leaver to fold the rear seat,
2. Rear glass arm or pressurised extendable glass arm which holds the rear glass up.
any after market items or alternatives that may be put may also be good for.
Old 14th October 2009, 09:49   #614
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bablue View Post
2. Rear glass arm or pressurised extendable glass arm which holds the rear glass up.
I too am looking for this one. The one on my car isn't working so haven't used the rear glass as yet.
Old 14th October 2009, 09:59   #615
BHPian

The two items you mentioned is available at bangalore . Its in J.C Road and the shop name is J.K. Automobiles. I took these two for my SS80 a week back. Also note these are not the original japanese ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bablue View Post
To all Ss80 owners out here in the forum help me out with this if possible. These are the little things i require for my car. Any ideas if these parts are still available? Please let me know about it. Preferably in banglore.
1. Rear seat lock of right side.. The one with a leaver to fold the rear seat,
any after market items or alternatives that may be put may also be good for.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks