Fiat Palio 1.3 JTD 192 35.29%
Hyundai Getz 1.5Crdi 91 16.73%
Tata Indica Dicor 30 5.51%
Palio Stile 1.6 72 13.24%
Voters: 544. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 12th March 2008, 00:22   #61
BHPian

MJD is definately a winner in terms of engine specs, but I'd rather prefer the Swift at this stage based on the interiors (not considering ABS et all). Had FIAPL done away with these interiors right from launching the Stile, the now MJD would definately be a sure winner.
Old 12th March 2008, 00:41   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemithomas View Post
In the Suspension the Palio gets stabilizing bars both at front and rear. This should give it improved handling. But still it needs to be seen if it could match the perfect handling that the swifts tight suspension setup gives. The Palio setup should theoritically give an optimum comination of handling and ride comfort. So if you are a performance freak who loves high speed cornering. I guess it should still be the Swift that would impress.
A tighter suspension means better cornering and harsh ride but it doesnt means fun to drive. Swift still has the lifeless electronic power steering and slack... it needs to coerced into taking a corner. I am not saying Palio Diesel would fare better, but swift isnt the ultimate drivers car.. .it cant be with that steering.

Quote:
The Swift is wider (1690mm vs. 1620mm), taller (1,530mm vs. 1440mm), and has a wideer wheel base (2390 vs. 2373). However the Palio is longer @ 3,827 Vs. 3,695mm for the swift and this also reflects in the boot space.
Outside measurement dont mean a thing. I am sure Palio has more shoulder room at the back seat and more legroom plus it more airy and not claustrophobic.

Quote:
Well. At this stage. I'd say the Maruti would be the winner in terms of handling and Excitement factor for the driver. FIAT would win hands down in terms of practicality with relation to space and ride comfort.
Dont discount the FIAT just like that... it might turn out be a better drivers car.
Old 12th March 2008, 00:45   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Looks.
The Frontal View of The Hot Hatches.
Gemi they already changed the palio diesel front grill.It bit similar to Linea grill.

Last edited by jerish666 : 12th March 2008 at 00:46.
Old 12th March 2008, 00:45   #64
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by adityamunshi View Post
If you can wait for a few months get the new Indica which has the MJD engine. That'll be a better option than either of these.
When do they estimate launching the new Indica with the MJD engine?
In what way is the MJD any superior to the DiCOR technology?

Anyone aware of the FE of the Indica DiCOR?
Old 12th March 2008, 00:57   #65
Senior - BHPian

Why is Palio 1.6 being compared to the diesels ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerish666 View Post
Gemi they already changed the palio diesel front grill.It bit similar to Linea grill.
I would prefer the Stile 1.6 grill. Its more sporty than what they have put in Palio MJD.

Last edited by kpzen : 12th March 2008 at 00:59.
Old 12th March 2008, 06:25   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
A tighter suspension means better cornering and harsh ride but it doesnt means fun to drive. Swift still has the lifeless electronic power steering and slack... it needs to coerced into taking a corner. I am not saying Palio Diesel would fare better, but swift isnt the ultimate drivers car.. .it cant be with that steering.

Outside measurement dont mean a thing. I am sure Palio has more shoulder room at the back seat and more legroom plus it more airy and not claustrophobic.

Dont discount the FIAT just like that... it might turn out be a better drivers car.
Agree with extreme_torque. Outside measurements includes all wheel arches and in case of swift it is a wide at lower side and becomes narrow going upside.

Styling wise, Palio wins hands-down from all angles.

Always Fiat screws up the colour. I was expecting it to come in Formula Red and Canary yellow.. These colours are really head turners on road.
Wishing FIAT a success this time, unless TATA screws it up on marketing front.

As far as A$$ is concerned, it didn't worry me, as I always got the support what I was needed. Only concern is the knowledge of engineers in Palio details.
Old 12th March 2008, 07:24   #67
BHPian

I hope FIAT provides ABS as an option. The website does not give any details about it.

All the models compared here has no ABS option.
Old 12th March 2008, 07:24   #68
Senior - BHPian

still now Swift site is not updated with new features and Exterior changes
marutiswift.com.Ashamed.
Palio MJD is looking fine and defn VFM.
Old 12th March 2008, 07:27   #69
Senior - BHPian

I would like to throw something on the getz CRDi .
In terms of engine power (110 bhp ) none of these diesel cars can come close.
For build quality Palio and Getz are better than the other two .
The interior space is better and good for long journeys.

Of course , its the most expensive hatch of the above , almost one lakh.
Old 12th March 2008, 08:08   #70
BHPian

Guys,

This is a positive step from FIAT. As a owner of Palio Stile SLX, the topend 1.1 petrol model, I am familiar with the interiors and features of this car. I am expecting the MJD 1.3 SDX to have the same. I will try to get a TD today. In any case will try to atleast inspect the car and get some pics.

On a different note, I do not understand why there is so much hype on the reverse lock.

Reverse gear is handled by a small idler gear (purple). At all times, the blue reverse gear in this diagram is turning in a direction opposite to all of the other blue gears. Therefore, it would be impossible to throw the transmission into reverse while the car is moving forward -- the dog teeth would never engage. However, they will make a lot of noise!

Source: Howstuffworks "A Real Transmission"

Cheers,

Rajan
Old 12th March 2008, 08:33   #71
Senior - BHPian

Ok. This is the new frontal view of the Stile MultiJet. Sorry for the earlier pics. (Source: Company Website). I/m sure we'll all miss those alloys. Still unable to understand why diesels dont give alloys!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Palio Stile Multijet Vs. Swift DDiS  Vs. PalioStile1.6 Vs. Indica DiCOR Vs. Getz CRDi-palio_multijet_header.jpg  

Old 12th March 2008, 08:36   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ok. Lets Look at what extras each of them give in comparison to the others. Not mentioning the common features. Lets look at the highest variant offered in both cases. (Not including the Optional ABS version of the Swift)

The Palio Stile MultiJet
- Digital Clock
- Rear Wiper & Washer
- Rear Demister
- Fire Prevention System (FPS)
- Double Crank Prevention System
- Reverse Gear Lock

MODS: Sorry. the threads were merged while i was editing this. Could someone post the details of the other cars too.

The Swift DDiS
- Light-off/key reminder
- Driver's seatbelt warning lamp
- Tripmeter (digital display)
- Key not removed warning buzzer
- Black coloured A- and B-pillars
- Antenna
I guess its basically the same. You miss something here and you get something there. But i guess the Palio Higher variant comes at the Swift Lower variant price. Could someone confirm the new prices of the swift.
Old 12th March 2008, 08:37   #73
BHPian

It looks like Fiat has a winner at hand by all means unless otherwise the real pricing gets screwed up by Tata. If MJT Palio is priced competitive with Swift, it is going to affect some of Indica Dicor sales. So, Tata might want to price it tad higher than Swift. Palio MJT deserves that pricing for this build quality, but with the kind of image Fiat has now, it can not afford to price higher than Swift. If Tata does mark up the price to avoid the confusion, then it is going to be repeat of history! Otherwise, anything around Swift MJT price will surely give Swift run for its money. I hope Palio will beat Swift hands down on FE average too, considering the NM reduction.
Old 12th March 2008, 08:53   #74
Senior - BHPian

Here are the Price Comparisons for the top variants.

Palio Stile MultiJet
Kolkata - 4,84,966
Mumbai - 4,94,413
Delhi-NCR - 4,77,968
Bangalore - 4,80,864
Chennai - 4,79,871

Swift DDiS
Kolkata - 4,98,825
Mumbai - 5,15,677
New Delhi - 4,98,205
Bangalore - 4,92,648
Chennai - 4,94,301
* This is from copany website. Can someone confirm the post budget prices.

Post budget i think the prices would hover around the same mark with just a few thousands here and there. But one advantage of the Stile would be the base varient that comes around 20K cheaper than the base version Swift DDiS.

Overall i think there wont be a clear winner here. Someone who looks for sheer performance, handling capabilities and Peace of mind and who likes the shape, al black interiors and the feel of the power steering would love to go with the Swift. On the other hand. FIAT still keeps its USPs, more space, more comfortable ride, more value for money. But techncal capabilities of the TATA service engineers in handling the MultiJet would surely take some time to come into existance.

It could end up to be the same old story. Well. Lets see how much the FIAT can rock its service capabilities. And with the lower tourque if they could manage some better F.E figures without much compromise on performance. I think They would surely have one more added advantage.

Do i see the Palio 1.6 Prices being slashed by another 18-20K. Well. If they plan to sell atleast a few of them, this is inevitable atleast in the near future. But wait. What extra do i get here.
- A petrol guzzler that never lets you down in terms of power.
- Alloy Wheels
- Leather Gear and Steering.
- Antenna
- Fog Lamps (Are they there in the Diesel??)

Well. Will i choose that over the Diesel at that price. Hmm...probably not atleast at the present price range.

Last edited by gemithomas : 12th March 2008 at 09:06.
Old 12th March 2008, 08:58   #75

nmuser,

There is no fear of MJD (not MJT as you mention) being costlier than Swift.

The Bangalore OTR prices of Swift VDi & Palio SDX work out to 5.94 and 5.53.

A difference of 41k!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks