Tata Indica Dicor 30 5.51%
Palio Stile 1.6 72 13.24%
Voters: 544. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 12th March 2008, 18:11   #136
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
This is interesting... cant believe how can they screw up refinement even if the engine is the same as swift.

@abibhh: This was the opinion based in the car mags for march 08'(Car India and Overdrive(i think)). They has complaints about the interiors and mainly about the Gear Box being a dud. What is your take on the Gear Box?
Old 12th March 2008, 18:13   #137
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
This is interesting... cant believe how can they screw up refinement even if the engine is the same as swift.
Yes they can for sure now. They have tied the knot with TATA as their Hubby and WIFE always follow HUBBY as per INDIAN tradition.

Jokes apart. Even i was disappointed. . Engine noise was coming inside the cabin even on idle but on the move it was pretty ok. Vibrations can be felt on the floor unlike swift. At the speeds of 40 at 5th gear even steering was vibrating. A/C was pretty good. The engine is free revving upto 5200 RPM just like swift but PALIO is not as fast as SWIFT. Though the torque kicks in at 2k RPM one can feel it only once it crosses 2.3K RPM.

But pricing seems to be good.

Rs. 4,84,661 for top end Ex-Showroom. Insurance Rs 12595 + Rs 3100 Registration + Rs 200 Temporary number. Comes out to be around 5.05 lacs on road in Chandigarh.

EDIT: Gear Box was also not upto mark. There was problem while slotting 1st and 3rd. And yes interior quality is yuck! Now i feel that Fireproof blue interior was better!!!!

P.S. I have a pic of bad interior quality but it is a Phone CAM picture.

Last edited by abhibh : 12th March 2008 at 18:18.
Old 12th March 2008, 18:22   #138
BHPian

Quote:
And yes interior quality is yuck! Now i feel that Fireproof blue interior was better!!!!
Abhibh, are you comparing Palio 1.3 MJD's interiors with Swift Diesel or with it's own petrol counterpart?
Old 12th March 2008, 18:45   #139
Senior - BHPian

Their interiors have always been pretty bad - did someone expect a transformation just because they got a new diesel engine?

It is surprising to hear about 'refinement' issues, though. Also surprising to see journos ready to criticise Fiat - that sort of thing was unheard of in the BT (Before Tata) era.

Being a FIAT in India must be a TANKless job!
Old 12th March 2008, 18:50   #140
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhibh View Post
Jokes apart. Even i was disappointed. . Engine noise was coming inside the cabin even on idle but on the move it was pretty ok.
I wonder if this was 'noise' or hum of an indling engine! It cant be completely silent. Besides FIAT specifically mentioned 'super silent engine' in the brochure and if I am not wrong the engine pay is padded nicely, even the petrols were padded nicely. Will have to test drive one soon.
Old 12th March 2008, 18:57   #141
BHPian

Post the picture abhibh.Is it same for all the variants?
Old 12th March 2008, 19:03   #142
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
Got to drive the Indica Dicor yesterday night and compared to the older Indica - It simply blew my mind.

My view on the Indica being the slowest accelerating car was blown to bits - the Dicor engine making all the difference.

Extremely torquey and driveable - the Indica now feels great to drive.

There is engine noise (a lot infact) but its better when the car is warmed up and running along with the windows closed.

The steering response felt crisper too and the handling was nice while retaining the famed ride quality.

Interiors were a let down again - cannot see any improvement there.

FE - I got was around 14 kmpl.

So would I buy it ? Definitely YES.

A responsive engine, crisp steering, loads of space, good handling and ride quality, cheap maintainence (?) and A.S.S all over the country - wouldn't you ?
This was just what I was wanting to read. I was wondering if anyone would initiate the discussion on the DiCOR. Thanks.

Just a few questions on the vehicle itself---

- Were the tyres tubeless?

- The FE within the city is 14 kmpl (this is with the A/C, yeah?); any idea on highway FE?

- The vehicle would be utilised primarily, for long distance, highway driving. I almost always drive with the A/C turned on; however, with significant engine noise, do you think it might be a wise choice for me?

I am seriously considering this vehicle, with the Palio MJD alongside. I have a budget of about 5L OTR, and in case of the MJD, I might even be willing to stretch my budget just a tad bit, if it is worth the extra bucks and VFM.
The price tag of the 1.3 SDE (the one I'm looking at) is almost 55K more than the DiCOR. The DiCOR also offers more features for less money.

I want to take my time, do my research and hence, am not in a mighty hurry to buy the vehicle. I am very interested to know though, when TATA intends launching the new Indica with the MJD engine. FE is paramount to me.
Would the new Indica with the MJD engine offer better FE than the existing DiCOR?
Old 12th March 2008, 19:48   #143
Senior - BHPian

The price in Kerala; booking started
Stile SD 4,44, 190 ; OTR 4,86,735
Stile SDE 4,64,192 ; OTR 5,08,483
Stile SDX 4,84,198 ; OTR 5,30,234
Old 12th March 2008, 20:04   #144
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaAT View Post
Abhibh, are you comparing Palio 1.3 MJD's interiors with Swift Diesel or with it's own petrol counterpart?
CaAT sir i toally agree with you regarding changing the interior but i was comparing because i never felt the new PALIO interiors. And i was comparing interiors with swift and OLD palio.

Please check the review here
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...-new-post.html
Old 12th March 2008, 20:09   #145
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaAT View Post
I don't understand why everyone was expecting FIAT to spice up the interiors for Palio.
Why not ? As it is they sell a handful of cars every month. If they want to get back in the numbers game - they have to do different things. TATA is the partner so why don't they learn from them ? Improve the quality of the interiors and see.
Quote:
Surely it does not make any business sense to invest huge amounts in changing the interiors, when the better models like GP are in the pipeline.
Well like I said earlier - the best thing FIAT can do IMO is to leave the Palio aside and simply get the Linea in with the fab 1.9 MJD at a very reasonable price without cutting cost on the interiors. I feel it will work wonders.
Quote:
It is like asking Hyundai to change the interiors of Santro before the launch of i10!
Well a more successful car maker like Hyundai has that option of deliberating and deciding about a upgrade to the interiors than FIAT who sell a handful of cars every month ! FIAT needs to act and act NOW instead of pondering.
Old 12th March 2008, 20:42   #146
BHPian

This car has to be a winner for Fiat. I am not a fan of Fiat but the qualities of Palio Stile cannot be neglected. It was a much better car always. The way it used to handle the potholed roads and the suspension everything of palio was spot on. It was built like a Tank and the doors which close with a sweet sound of Thud.

Those qualities of palio are going to be there and along with that you will get an engine which has worked wonderfully for Maruti in their Swift. Hence we can very well say that the engine is tried and tested.

As far as Tata people handling the service part, I feel that they would surely do a better job. I have a friend who works for Tata and says they have been trained on this engine since last 3 months or so as even Tata wants to launch a car with this engine. And by the way we are forgetting that Tata would have been trained by Fiat engineers itself (Manufacturer of the engine) and would also be there to assist them. If I know it properly we do have a special service advisor for Fiat Cars at every Tata service station.

I am sure this car is going to beat swift hands down. Also this would be a good car to Pete. Swift has its challenges with ride and handling which Palio does not have and with the added Pete power this would be a rocket on four wheels.

By the way Test Ride for this car is on and I am thinking of taking one on Saturday.
Old 12th March 2008, 21:49   #147
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
The price in Kerala; booking started
Stile SD 4,44, 190 ; OTR 4,86,735
Stile SDE 4,64,192 ; OTR 5,08,483
Stile SDX 4,84,198 ; OTR 5,30,234

The SDX seems to cost nearly the same as the Swift Vdi after the post-budget price cut.

But the Vdi provides ABS as option for another 20K or so. That is a huge advantage.
Old 12th March 2008, 22:01   #148
Senior - BHPian

As i said earlier. I think the swift will still have its advantage of handling. While the Stile will keep its advantage of Ride Comfort. So I seriously think its gonna be the same old story for FIAT.

I think "FIAT" quality seems to be missing after the TATA tie up.
Old 12th March 2008, 22:36   #149
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kailashnj View Post
I am sure this car is going to beat swift hands down.
Beat the Swift in what? Sales/team-bhp votes?
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemithomas View Post
I think "FIAT" quality seems to be missing after the TATA tie up.
What has TATA got to do with missing 'FIAT' quality? I think the main culprit is localisation to reduce the prices to competitive levels.
Old 12th March 2008, 22:45   #150
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kailashnj View Post
Swift has its challenges with ride and handling
Dude! Swift is one of the best handling cars in this side of 6-6.5 lacs. I agree with the ride part though.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks