Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th April 2015, 22:36   #2476
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Shell in India (fuel, lubes, outlets)

The petrol is costlier by 74 paise and diesel costlier by 46 paise. Still the slight premium is ok as the quantity and quality is assured.
nkrishnap is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2015, 11:03   #2477
BHPian

Visited the 100 feet road Shell in Chennai for the first time this morning and had a few minor shocks. They are aggressive in pushing the "V Power - Super Petrol", a difference of approximately 6 rupees per litre. Two attendants approached me to fill the V Power even after telling them that I need only the regular petrol and one of them almost started to dispense V Power before being stopped by me. Too aggressive for my taste. Only saving grace, they announce what there are dispensing and for what amount.

They also don't honour American Express cards . No Amex in a bunk of an international oil distributor - very surprising.

Experts - What is the advantage of using V Power in terms of Mileage, engine performance, maintenance and emissions.
ksmrsm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th April 2015, 11:48   #2478
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksmrsm View Post
Experts - What is the advantage of using V Power in terms of Mileage, engine performance, maintenance and emissions.
Claim to have few additional cleaning qualities which promises to improve the engine performance over time. But 6 Rs / liter difference somehow never justified it for me, had tried it once or twice and no perceivable difference in my car.

A friend who works for Shell mentioned that, one off try may not give any results and these additives are supposed to work over a period of time.

Anyone who has used it for longer period here?
Jaggu is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2015, 12:15   #2479
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Claim to have few additional cleaning qualities which promises to improve the engine performance over time. But 6 Rs / liter difference somehow never justified it for me, had tried it once or twice and no perceivable difference in my car.

A friend who works for Shell mentioned that, one off try may not give any results and these additives are supposed to work over a period of time.

I've been using Shell Super Unleaded Premium for more than a year now in my car, if it's the same as V Power.

My car definitely gives slightly more mileage on every tank of premium, however it doesn't justify the 5 rs/ltr premium over regular. I've noticed that the engine feels smoother as well but that might just be a placebo. I've recently moved back to normal fuel over the last couple of tanks with a slight decrease in FE, so I guess overall the more mileage part is true to an extent, but whether it justifies the premium is totally up to individual preferences.
Old 1st May 2015, 00:10   #2480
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parth46 View Post
I've been using Shell Super Unleaded Premium for more than a year now in my car, if it's the same as V Power.

My car definitely gives slightly more mileage on every tank of premium, however it doesn't justify the 5 rs/ltr premium over regular. I've noticed that the engine feels smoother as well but that might just be a placebo. I've recently moved back to normal fuel over the last couple of tanks with a slight decrease in FE, so I guess overall the more mileage part is true to an extent, but whether it justifies the premium is totally up to individual preferences.
How are you guys saying its only 5-6rs /Ltr more ?
Here in Bangalore the regular shell is 66.00rs and the Vpower (the old super) is 74.00rs/ Ltr!

Today for a good 3-4 minutes they tried to push Vpower! claiming it to be much better, cleaner engine, more millage, smoother engine, better starting, better protection, I had to stop them and say regular, regular and yell regular!
if I had let them continue they would have promised me the sun and moon if I filled Vpower

Finally it went into their heads that I don't want their stupid V power.
They are pushing V power so much because some of these guys actually have V power on their heads! Kid you not. See these pictures.
This is their marketing strategy.
This guy was nice enough to allow me to snap these pictures.
Shell in India (fuel, lubes, outlets)-vpower2.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Shell in India (fuel, lubes, outlets)-vpower.jpg  

Last edited by Captain Slow : 1st May 2015 at 00:16.
Captain Slow is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st May 2015, 01:06   #2481

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Slow View Post
How are you guys saying its only 5-6rs /Ltr more ?
Here in Bangalore the regular shell is 66.00rs and the Vpower (the old super) is 74.00rs/ Ltr!

Today for a good 3-4 minutes they tried to push Vpower! claiming it to be much better, cleaner engine, more millage, smoother engine, better starting, better protection, I had to stop them and say regular, regular and yell regular!
if I had let them continue they would have promised me the sun and moon if I filled Vpower

Finally it went into their heads that I don't want their stupid V power.
They are pushing V power so much because some of these guys actually have V power on their heads! Kid you not. See these pictures.
This is their marketing strategy.
This guy was nice enough to allow me to snap these pictures.
Attachment 1366027
Slow down Captain Slow. You surely have a misplaced knack of understanding marketing strategies. You sure love Regular petrol. But, that does not mean all premium petrol are stupid.
I filled V-Power, full tank, for my Cedia. It surely improves the engine performance. I could experience a perceivable improvement in the acceleration and power.
You cannot comment if the fuel is value for money or not, unless you have used it yourself. At the end of the day, it's an individual's choice.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 1st May 2015 at 10:08. Reason: Extra smiley removed. Please limit to 2 smileys per post.
Old 1st May 2015, 20:05   #2482
Team-BHP Support

I just quoted the price difference mentioned in the earlier post, i have not used Shell for a long while now. They are no convenient ones on my route being the reason mainly Wow 8 Rs is totall rip off!
Jaggu is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2015, 13:07   #2483
Senior - BHPian

Rs 70.00 for Shell unleaded per litre, BS4.

OT: Saw this new Mahindra Navistar parked at the outlet.
Attached Thumbnails
Shell in India (fuel, lubes, outlets)-img_20150502_1022472.jpg  

Last edited by tharian : 2nd May 2015 at 13:16.
Old 2nd May 2015, 23:10   #2484
BHPian

Filled up normal petrol from the one between kharadi-magarpatta road. It was 70.01/- for normal and 78/- for v-power. The attendant started off with V-power advantages but I had to interrupt and asked him to fill the normal petrol.
21Archer84 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2015, 23:42   #2485
BHPian

Filled up my Zest Revotron with Shell regular petrol this evening. Rs. 70 per liter in Bangalore.

I had a two minute session on the benefits of V power petrol and I had to say a stronger NO for the class to stop!
balajisv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2015, 09:53   #2486
Senior - BHPian

Guys, a sincere request. Please report to Shell's website whenever you see any unnecessary hard selling for anything at any Shell outlet. I am sure they will take action against the respective pump. I went today morning to the Shell Bellary road pump to fill petrol in my Wego. Was fully prepared to give them a piece of my mind in case the attendant pushed for V power. Fortunately for him, he did not push.

I understand this is their job, they have been instructed to hard sell blah blah blah etc etc.
But the moment it becomes unnecessary and irritating, I think they need to be told so without mincing words.
Old 3rd May 2015, 10:21   #2487
BHPian

Can anyone confirm if the V power is higher octane or just re-branded super unleaded already sold by them with additives. I saw some where that its 95 RON. Is there any official word on it.
Old 3rd May 2015, 11:10   #2488
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpudhi View Post
Can anyone confirm if the V power is higher octane or just re-branded super unleaded already sold by them with additives. I saw some where that its 95 RON. Is there any official word on it.
I don't think it's any different in terms of octane rating. I had spoken to the manager on its launch and he didn't mention anything other than additives. The website doesn't say anything on it as well

This is the link
sammyboy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2015, 12:55   #2489
BHPian

Filled up normal petrol in the scooter yesterday. Rs 70 for normal.
Vpower was Rs 78. The attendant did not pester for V power which was surprising. Just asked once to which I declined. This was at Shell Bellandur.
Old 4th May 2015, 21:07   #2490
BHPian

Got a reply from shell india for my query regarding V power.

Quote:
Dear customer,

Thank you for showing interest in our shell products.
Dear customer please find the below details regarding your query
"
A. Shell V-Power is formulated using a range of fuel parameters and additive options, one of which is octane number. The octane number varies from country to country, according to local fuel specifications. In India, the octane number of V-Power is 91

B.
A. A. The octane level of petrol is often considered to be a quality index that enables the customer to distinguish between petrol grades e.g. between Premium and Regular grades.

B. Many customers believe that a higher octane level equals higher performance and therefore higher quality. This is not always the case.

C. Shell V-Power contains a powerful detergency formulation designed to actively clean up the engine from (and prevent the formation of) power robbing deposits. This helps the engine to run under optimal conditions and deliver its performance potential.

For any further query kindly reply on this mail.
So, officially it is 91 RON with additives.
drpudhi is offline   (7) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks