Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th February 2016, 15:30   #2566
BHPian

re: Shell in India (fuel, lubes, outlets)

So following up on my experience with Shell Whitefield/Graphite India (Bangalore). I went for my fuel refill last week (Friday I think). I asked for regular petrol, and though the attendant tried to sell me V-Power, I politely declined and got regular petrol without any fuss. No "out of stock" or "have to wait 15-20 minutes" excuses this time! I promptly called Mr Somanna (Shell in-charge of those outlets) and relayed my experience and thanked him for the quick response. Kudos to Shell for their swift action!
Old 9th February 2016, 18:36   #2567
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Is this a Bangalore specific problem? I have never faced this in Chennai; of course I always fill sulp, but I see them ask other customers if they can fill super. If they decline, normal petrol is filled without fuss. And I am yet to see normal petrol out of stock. Super was out of stock once or twice though.
All Shell bunks in Chennai are quite honest. I remember one time when the regular ran out of stock for real, and the attendant suggested to fill V power and also mentioned the price difference. I declined, and since I was a regular the attendant told that stock is arriving that night and I can fill tomorrow morning if I want to.
Ajay_the_Don is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2016, 11:31   #2568
Senior - BHPian

The latest prices as on date for Shell as per their website is -

Source - http://www.shell.in/products-service...ing-board.html

City/Site HSD ULP Shell V-Power

Bangalore - Euro IV 48.95 59.85 67.95
Bangalore - Euro III-A 48.75 59.20 67.30
Bangalore Euro III -B 48.50 59.05 67.15

Below is the government oil companies pricing for a quick comparison-

IOC 48.57 58.99
girishglg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2016, 18:08   #2569
Distinguished - BHPian

Is anyone using Shell cashless card

I don't use credit cards much for daily transactions and now my debit card has started charging surcharge on fuel purchases. Was thinking of moving to Shell card since 90% of time I use the same Shell bunk.
Old 5th March 2016, 18:23   #2570
Senior - BHPian

Not used Shell prepaid card so far. I think they give 0.5% discount for fills. If I can load it from my HDFC credit card that does not levy surcharge for fuel, I think it will be a deal!
Gansan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2016, 20:34   #2571
BHPian

I have this strange issue with shell fuel. I got a used Hyundai Getz petrol recently, its a 2006 model with 70k on it. I have observed that when I fill Vpower (which is usually forced upon me by saying they dont have normal fuel in stock) the engine is noisy as hell and tends to sound more like a diesel and revs a bit when the clutch is disengaged. I had to fill once from Indian oil because the Shell outlet was closed, and what I noticed is that all the noise and rattle and whatnot are gone. Thought it was just me and asked a friend if he could tell the difference. Sure enough, whenever we filled Vpower, the engine noise is way too high to be a petrol and other fuels seem to quiet down the engine. Can anyone let me know if they have had a similar experience with their car? Thanks.
Old 22nd March 2016, 10:34   #2572
BHPian

Absolutely...let me share my experience using Shell V-Power Petrol and Normal diesel both.

Diesel (Normal Shell) - Used it multiple times in last 2 years, now STOPPED. I feel a increased pick up in my Linea and Indica both with shell fuel, but engine noise and harshness increases as well, more black smoke during turbo spool. Esp in Linea Multijet , that engine hates Shell stuff for sure. Result - I am back to HP/ IOC normal Diesel for both cars, silent engine , less smoke. Very happy.

Petrol (Normal and V-power)- Normal , many times and V-power twice. Car Santro. Normal Pertol of shell, I found quite good, smooth Rev, better pick up. I used it mostly in my santro ownership of 6 years. V-petrol , tried twice , just twice. I did not like it. In fact I observed engine coarseness very high, no change in pick up. So, simply avoided that. I felt costly fuel has excessive additives / adulterations :-)
Old 22nd March 2016, 11:15   #2573
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Is anyone using Shell cashless card

I don't use credit cards much for daily transactions and now my debit card has started charging surcharge on fuel purchases. Was thinking of moving to Shell card since 90% of time I use the same Shell bunk.
I have been using it for more than 6 months now. The following points are listed on their website. Below is my answers to each one of them, based on my experience.

Now available at just Rs 50! Visit your neighboring Shell petrol pump
It was free for sometime. I too paid 50 rupees I guess-don't exactly remember

Simple & ready to use
Don't know how. A normal credit card will be swiped near your car by the same guy who fills up fuel to your car.
But with Shell card, it has to be taken to the shop. eithr you park your car away from the pump, go to the shop and get it done. Or wait for the attendant to do so. either way its more time consuming.

Safer than Cash
So is a Credit/Debit card. this point holds good for people who always use cash. I don't

No surcharge / fees on purchase and reload at a Shell Petrol pump.
My credit card levies a surcharge no matter whether I use it for purchase of fuel without shell card or I use it for shell card reload.
I have done this two times just to check. But my credit card refunds the surcharge. So no difference there.

Exclusive benefits for Registered Customers:
0.5% cash back every time you purchase for INR 500 or more.

Every month, I get this cashback and an SMS is received. This is the only reason why I'm using a shell card

View your monthly statements at www.shell.com/india/cards
SMS alerts, every time you make a reload or purchase
Block your card online if it is stolen or lost.

Good features to have

Quote:
Not used Shell prepaid card so far. I think they give 0.5% discount for fills. If I can load it from my HDFC credit card that does not levy surcharge for fuel, I think it will be a deal!
Unfortunately it is not the case. At-least for me

Last edited by hemanth.anand : 22nd March 2016 at 11:16.
hemanth.anand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2016, 12:26   #2574
Senior - BHPian

I checked. I can load it from my HDFC credit card. Any spend above Rs 500 in Shell bunks don't attract surcharge, so this will not, too. But the reward is meagre for my type of usage, so I didn't bother.
Old 22nd March 2016, 13:03   #2575
Distinguished - BHPian

Just before the budget, there was a mention of waiving the 2 - 2.5% surcharge for using cards. I hope it is implemented soon. Then we wont need to worry about which card to use.

IMO, Rewards from using credit cards are a joke.
Old 22nd March 2016, 14:41   #2576
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I checked. I can load it from my HDFC credit card. Any spend above Rs 500 in Shell bunks don't attract surcharge, so this will not, too. But the reward is meagre for my type of usage, so I didn't bother.
Honestly, I didn't know this. I'm actually surprised.
Its been more than 8 years that I'm visiting Shell and I've never spent less than 500 Rupees. And I've used a credit card 90% of the times. Each and everytime, A surcharge has been levied.
I have 3 Credit cards in total and only one of them has the surcharge refund plan. Every time I use only that card. The surcharge is levied and then returned back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Just before the budget, there was a mention of waiving the 2 - 2.5% surcharge for using cards. I hope it is implemented soon. Then we wont need to worry about which card to use.
Yes, if that proposal is implemented, it will be very good.

Quote:
IMO, Rewards from using credit cards are a joke.
If you pan to get huge rewards like a TV, then its a joke.
Best way to take advantage is to redeem points for fuel vouchers. That is what I do most of the times.
Otherwise, I have once redeemed it for a very basic Nokia phone and a couple of times, Tupperware boxes!
hemanth.anand is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2016, 15:32   #2577
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
Its been more than 8 years that I'm visiting Shell and I've never spent less than 500 Rupees. And I've used a credit card 90% of the times. Each and everytime, A surcharge has been levied.
The reference above to waiver is applicable specifically to Shell branded card.

Quote:
If you pan to get huge rewards like a TV, then its a joke.
Last time I calculated, the rewards from my card were worth 0.07% of the amount spent. I stopped looking at things after that.
condor is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th April 2016, 21:55   #2578
Distinguished - BHPian

Shell fuel card

As mentioned in my earlier post, my bank started charging transaction charge during fuel purchases. Hence decided to go for Shell prepaid cash card, it's charged Rs 50.

As per steps mentioned on the card, you need to register the card online after purchase by entering your card number and mobile number. Once it's done, you get a one-time password and username to your mobile as SMS. Enter that and create an account.

By logging in to the account you can view your current balance and transaction details.

My bank does not charge transaction charge for NEFT transactions, hence transferring money from by savings bank account to the card is free. However, it takes 2 to 3 days for money to be credited in your card account. This is significantly higher than the usual NEFT durations.

Card and instructions -

Shell in India (fuel, lubes, outlets)-img_20160404_214433.jpg

Shell in India (fuel, lubes, outlets)-img_20160404_214516.jpg
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2016, 13:29   #2579
BHPian

Hello Everyone,

I too have been using the Shell Card for 8 months now. I noticed that if I load it using my Citi Credit Card, a surcharge is levied. My HDFC Credit Card doesn't levy any surcharge.

Here is a list of Pros and Cons I have experienced:

PROS:
1. You get a monthly cash back of 0.5%
2. Can be loaded using NEFT, Debit, Credit cards as convenient.
3. Can track your fuel expenses online.

CONS:
1. Need to walk till the store to swipe it. Debit/Credit cards are swiped by attendant at the pump itself.
2. Some money always lies in the Shell Card. Its an opportunity cost (no matter how small the sum)
Old 5th April 2016, 13:48   #2580
BANNED

0.5% Cash back makes no sense at all !! So If I spend 10,000 Rupees on fuel per month I get the cash back of 50 Rupees!
If the same is spent in IOC with CITI IOC Credit card for every 150 Rupees spent you get 4 points equals to 4 Rupees. So if I spend 10,000 Rupees on fuel I get 267 Rupees to redeem for Fuel. Which is not bad at all compared to Shell's 0.5% Cashback.
mohammedismail is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks